OT: I-Phone 6/All Cell Phones

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,045

Re: OT: I-Phone 6 

Post#21 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:49 pm

Taste is relatively subjective, but yea I can't see how someone could think this is ugly:

[shrugs]

Like most things Apple, I think the value rises the deeper you are in the Apple Ecosystem. I think all the stuff you've come to expect from a wearable is solid. The fitness tracking seems excellent. But that you can control stuff like your AppleTV with voice commands is super nice to me. I use that thing every day, constantly, and it'll be nice to be able to raise my wrist and say something when I'm cooking or cleaning or whatever, instead of digging around for my phone or looking for a remote.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#22 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:00 pm

Kind of unrelated: I actually just ordered a new phone via Asurion Insurance (through AT&T) and how holy hell was it a pain in the ass. Does Apple still have a pretty solid insurance program? That alone would make me want to switch.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,419

Post#23 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:05 pm

AppleCare is considered to be pretty good. But I don't know how it compares to getting insurance through a third party or through your carrier.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#24 » by crkone » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:07 pm

I do not like square smartwatches at all. They look chintzy to me. And I'd rather wait for a smartwatch to have no bezel. I do like that it has the NFC payment option but I've been doing NFC for years now and using my phone is just as simple. I'll wait for Google itself to put out a watch and compare it to everyone else.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#25 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:28 pm

I was actually hoping to be swayed to switch to iOS, but there's just nothing the iPhone 6 can do that my two year old Nexus 4 couldn't do. As far as wearables go, I ordered the Moto 360 and now I'm just waiting on the Nexus 6, though I could see myself getting the new Moto X.

jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#26 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:32 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:AppleCare is considered to be pretty good. But I don't know how it compares to getting insurance through a third party or through your carrier.

Over the years I've had two iMacs with Apple Care. Both had drive issues after a couple years. Took them in to the MacStore. All replaced quickly at no cost and no questions asked. Been incredible actually as most extended warranty stuff is crap.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,736

Post#27 » by emunney » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:41 pm

From what I've heard about the Galaxy S6, that's the one I'm waiting for (next spring). Maybe something will come out before than and I'll change my mind. I'm open to Apple stuff but I haven't seen anything useful about the new iPhone that the better Android phones haven't been capable of for a couple years.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#28 » by HurricaneKid » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:44 pm

Someone explain to me what you can do with an iPhone 6 that can't be done on a 5. Or even a 4S. Because you can get a 4S for <$100 and pay $28 a month for 1200 min, 3000 txt and quite a bit of data. What am I missing here?
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#29 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:47 pm

DPGBucks wrote:I'm also still on Galaxy S3. I'm thinking over which I want to go with between the 6 Plus and the Note 4. Anyway, if I do chose the Apple phone, does Best Buy allow you to pre order online or do I have to go there and wait in line?

I bought the guaranteed buy back for my S3 at Best Buy last time, so I feel like I need to go through them again.

I just read that BB will not do online preorders, they will take preorders in person when the store opens. All of the other online preorders (from Apple and the carriers) are at 2:00 a.m. our time.
crkone
RealGM

Post#30 » by crkone » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:48 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:Someone explain to me what you can do with an iPhone 6 that can't be done on a 5. Or even a 4S. Because you can get a 4S for <$100 and pay $28 a month for 1200 min, 3000 txt and quite a bit of data. What am I missing here?

NFC payments, better performance, and better camera I believe are the main things.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
crkone
RealGM

Post#31 » by crkone » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:02 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:I was actually hoping to be swayed to switch to iOS, but there's just nothing the iPhone 6 can do that my two year old Nexus 4 couldn't do. As far as wearables go, I ordered the Moto 360 and now I'm just waiting on the Nexus 6, though I could see myself getting the new Moto X.

I think this looks nice, and it looks like the band is a standard replaceable 22mm if you get bored of it. After some research on apps, looks like the google camera app can be controlled from any android wear watch, along with XBMC/KODI for your viewing pleasures. Too bad no speaker or NFC.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#32 » by HurricaneKid » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:43 pm

crkone wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:Someone explain to me what you can do with an iPhone 6 that can't be done on a 5. Or even a 4S. Because you can get a 4S for <$100 and pay $28 a month for 1200 min, 3000 txt and quite a bit of data. What am I missing here?

NFC payments, better performance, and better camera I believe are the main things.

Not sold on NFC payments. How many merchants have the hardware for accepting such payments?

Performance- Are your birds any crazier than mine? What do you do on your phone that requires enormous computing power. I had an earlier windows phone that was a MESS but browsing on an iPhone 4S isn't dissimilar in any way to a 6.

Better camera? Not by much and you could buy a far better camera than your phone for $50.

I love tech. I watched a 3D movie last night on my 120" screen in 3D with 7.2 surround. I just don't get the VALUE in updating your phone every 6-12 months.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
ReddRum
Veteran
And1: 465
Location: Waiting for a superstar to awaken the city of Milwaukee

Post#33 » by ReddRum » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:37 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I generally don't use my iPhone 5S up its full potential. Texting, web browsing, listening to music/radio, navigation and checking sports scores. All stuff you could do with an iPhone 3G. But I still like it.

But I'll be getting an Apple Watch the week it comes out. I thought the entire concept was stupid as hell, but I'm 100% on board. It looks **** amazing.

It looks amazing - agreed. I do not like the fact however that you have to have your I-Phone on you for it to work. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Big baby ass Derozan tosses the ball in the stands and gets and gets his sorry a-- tossed. Cross him off our list of players to target.

Ejected with only two games left in your season.What immature nut...Grow up and just play.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,646

Post#34 » by Matches Malone » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:46 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:I was actually hoping to be swayed to switch to iOS, but there's just nothing the iPhone 6 can do that my two year old Nexus 4 couldn't do. As far as wearables go, I ordered the Moto 360 and now I'm just waiting on the Nexus 6, though I could see myself getting the new Moto X.

I agree with you. I had the iPhone 4s and it was nice but they haven't really done anything spectacular in upgrading their phones. The iPhone 6 plus is still a few years behind some of the Android devices. I have a Nexus 5 and like it a lot. Not sure what I'll be getting next. LG G3 looks kinda nice. Didn't really like the Galaxy devices. Felt cheap in the hand.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
ReddRum
Veteran

Post#35 » by ReddRum » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:47 pm

Much bigger, better camera, ability to pay without credit cards at stores (all info stored in the phone), thinner, better battery, better screen resolution, 1080P on the I-Phone 6 Plus, faster internet processor, way better videos, better roaming coverage, finger tip scanner

IMO this is nothing really groundbreaking but a ton of nice upgrades - the biggest things to me are the bigger screen and the much improved resolution, faster processor, and nice camera upgrades...

I definitely think its worth the upgrade from the I-Phone 5 which is what I currently have.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Big baby ass Derozan tosses the ball in the stands and gets and gets his sorry a-- tossed. Cross him off our list of players to target.

Ejected with only two games left in your season.What immature nut...Grow up and just play.
ReddRum
Veteran

Post#36 » by ReddRum » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:49 pm

Matches Malone wrote:

I agree with you. I had the iPhone 4s and it was nice but they haven't really done anything spectacular in upgrading their phones. The iPhone 6 plus is still a few years behind some of the Android devices. I have a Nexus 5 and like it a lot. Not sure what I'll be getting next. LG G3 looks kinda nice. Didn't really like the Galaxy devices. Felt cheap in the hand.

So what can any of the Samsung's do that the I-Phone 6 can not? There is only so much a phone can do - at this point its more about improvements that innovations but maybe I am off here...

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,045

Post#37 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:55 pm

ReddRum wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I generally don't use my iPhone 5S up its full potential. Texting, web browsing, listening to music/radio, navigation and checking sports scores. All stuff you could do with an iPhone 3G. But I still like it.

But I'll be getting an Apple Watch the week it comes out. I thought the entire concept was stupid as hell, but I'm 100% on board. It looks **** amazing.

It looks amazing - agreed. I do not like the fact however that you have to have your I-Phone on you for it to work. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

If I don't get one, that'll be the reason.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#38 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:06 pm

The cell phone market is very mature. You aren't going to see huge leaps anymore model to model, year to year. It comes down to personal preference in hardware and OS. I've loved Android but it's very fragmented. I've enjoyed my S3 but hate the plastic. I'll switch to the IP6 now that the screen is larger and in a couple of years I'll see what's out there.
CorporateBucks
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#39 » by CorporateBucks » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:04 am

Sticking with the Note series. Have 2 now, will get the 4 when it drops

Sent from my SCH-I605 using RealGM Forums mobile app
crkone
RealGM

Post#40 » by crkone » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:47 am

ReddRum wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

So what can any of the Samsung's do that the I-Phone 6 can not? There is only so much a phone can do - at this point its more about improvements that innovations but maybe I am off here...

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |

Return to Milwaukee Bucks