OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 - ESPN/Fox/Warner Launching Combined Sports Streamer

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,107

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#961 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Aug 5, 2023 1:46 am

Don't know why I never looked into this more but Airflow is such a perfect little app. When I wanted to watch downloaded media on the TV in the past I used Plex but I never liked how organized I needed to keep it, or the app. There used to be (still probably is?) an alternative media center that was pretty popular but I can't remember the name.

But Airflow + Chromecast is my dream. Drag and drop, media plays instantly, perfect quality. A bunch of settings to play around with if you want.
ejn1214
Pro Prospect
And1: 686

Post#962 » by ejn1214 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:02 pm

I'm sure this has been covered extensively, but is there any way to get local channels for nfl/packers without antenna or cable subscription. I have a cheap antenna which appears like it can't get a good signal on my main tv, unless anyone has other tips. The tv by the front window seems to get signal, but my main tv in the living room doesn't.

Are the local channels cracking down on sharing like Netflix? I tried helping my Dad login to his cable for local channels at a relatives house and it was not allowing us to do so.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Post#963 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:59 pm

ejn1214 wrote:I'm sure this has been covered extensively, but is there any way to get local channels for nfl/packers without antenna or cable subscription. I have a cheap antenna which appears like it can't get a good signal on my main tv, unless anyone has other tips. The tv by the front window seems to get signal, but my main tv in the living room doesn't.

Are the local channels cracking down on sharing like Netflix? I tried helping my Dad login to his cable for local channels at a relatives house and it was not allowing us to do so.
I think everyone is cracking down on sharing.

Is your current antenna one that you plug into the wall or just coax? If just coax I would look into getting a digital one. Even the cheap ones will give you a boost and might solve your issue.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#964 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:07 pm

If you do get an antenna, I picked this one up at BB and I have no complaints or regrets. It's really night and day better than any antenna I've had before and it picks up an insane amount of OTA content. Sports look incredible.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#965 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:53 pm

I'm a few days into trying Verizon 5g home internet and it's working great. They give a 30 day trial period so you can test run it before canceling your existing service.

Promo for $35 a month price locked for 3 years plus you get NFL Sunday ticket for free this year. Pretty smoking deal.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ejn1214
Pro Prospect
And1: 686

Post#966 » by ejn1214 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:43 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
ejn1214 wrote:I'm sure this has been covered extensively, but is there any way to get local channels for nfl/packers without antenna or cable subscription. I have a cheap antenna which appears like it can't get a good signal on my main tv, unless anyone has other tips. The tv by the front window seems to get signal, but my main tv in the living room doesn't.

I think everyone is cracking down on sharing.

Is your current antenna one that you plug into the wall or just coax? If just coax I would look into getting a digital one. Even the cheap ones will give you a boost and might solve your issue.

It's digital, but it's super cheap. I might try something more reliable, like the recommendation from ReasonablySober and see if that helps.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,814

Post#967 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Sep 9, 2023 8:07 pm

Spectrum is promoting Fubo's free trial (7 days). Fubo is also offering 25% off the first 2 months. And they are one of only 2 streamers (DirectTV streaming is the other) to have Bally's. I'm thinking about it. I don't think Brewers/Bucks will be on Bally's for more than another season so I'm going to wait until it all shakes out. And ESPN is talking to companies (Amazon and Apple among them) about streaming their channels. In the meantime I'm enjoying not having a glut of McAfee on my screen.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#968 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Sep 9, 2023 8:58 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Spectrum is promoting Fubo's free trial (7 days). Fubo is also offering 25% off the first 2 months. And they are one of only 2 streamers (DirectTV streaming is the other) to have Bally's. I'm thinking about it. I don't think Brewers/Bucks will be on Bally's for more than another season so I'm going to wait until it all shakes out. And ESPN is talking to companies (Amazon and Apple among them) about streaming their channels. In the meantime I'm enjoying not having a glut of McAfee on my screen.

Hulu is offering three month of Hulu+ Live at $49.99 for three months.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#969 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Sep 9, 2023 10:31 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Spectrum is promoting Fubo's free trial (7 days). Fubo is also offering 25% off the first 2 months. And they are one of only 2 streamers (DirectTV streaming is the other) to have Bally's. I'm thinking about it. I don't think Brewers/Bucks will be on Bally's for more than another season so I'm going to wait until it all shakes out. And ESPN is talking to companies (Amazon and Apple among them) about streaming their channels. In the meantime I'm enjoying not having a glut of McAfee on my screen.

That's a good deal. I wish they had Bally's. I don't like the Bally's app. Hopefully they're toast soon.
Hulu is offering three month of Hulu+ Live at $49.99 for three months.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Post#970 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:15 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I'm a few days into trying Verizon 5g home internet and it's working great. They give a 30 day trial period so you can test run it before canceling your existing service.

Promo for $35 a month price locked for 3 years plus you get NFL Sunday ticket for free this year. Pretty smoking deal.

What is your typical usage?

I work exclusively from home, and my wife does two days per week. Plus streaming radio all day, then TV, kids internet for homework, Xbox...etc

Can a service like that handle all that?
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#971 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:35 pm

Read on Twitter
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#972 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:31 pm

0BobLobLaw0 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I'm a few days into trying Verizon 5g home internet and it's working great. They give a 30 day trial period so you can test run it before canceling your existing service.

What is your typical usage?

I work exclusively from home, and my wife does two days per week. Plus streaming radio all day, then TV, kids internet for homework, Xbox...etc

Can a service like that handle all that?
Both my wife and I work from home and are heavily online for our jobs plus I have two kids who stream and play video games with their friends and in the 3 weeks I've had it I've never noticed any performance issues.

Couple notes, where I live in AZ we have strong 5g coverage and I have it hooked up to a mesh wifi so I can place the actual box by a window then still get great coverage throughout my house. I tested it just using the built in WiFi and it was getting slower in the furthest away rooms.

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#973 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:30 pm

I only watch games on ESPN, I can't stand ANY of the talking heads. Glad to have it back. Once they start their own streaming platform and Bucks/Brewers move on to whatever they decide to do next I'll revisit all my options.
jmuelly
Junior
And1: 88

Post#974 » by jmuelly » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:38 pm

What’s the best option these days? I’ve been using parents account but they may soon switch to cut some costs. I primarily only watch sports and locals. It just really sucks that so many the streaming services do not carry Bally!
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#975 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:30 pm

jmuelly wrote:What’s the best option these days? I’ve been using parents account but they may soon switch to cut some costs. I primarily only watch sports and locals. It just really sucks that so many the streaming services do not carry Bally!

I use a good antenna for national games, subscribe to Bally Sports + to get the Brewers and Bucks, and I do the Disney Trio premium bundle and that gets me Hulu/Disney+/ESPN. That's $30/month total. I might have a couple other subscriptions going at any one time if there's shows running I want to know I'll have the day they release.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#976 » by buckboy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:21 pm

Anyone have fubo?

Thoughts if so?

Or any streamer that has Ballys?

Directv is just too expensive.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#977 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:31 am

buckboy wrote:Anyone have fubo?

Thoughts if so?

I've just gone with Bally Sports Plus since April. Haven't missed cable at all.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#978 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:38 am

Thoughts if so?

Within a year I doubt Brewers or Bucks will be on Bally's. It will be interesting to see what the teams/leagues do. The Suns took control and are broadcasting games on local TV channels and offering fans free antennas. They will also be doing their own streaming service. The Jazz are doing the same. ESPN will be doing their own streaming service too but it looks like they are targeting 2025. I'm hanging tight with cable until everything shakes out and then figure out the best option. If games are on a streaming service I want the option of being able to tune in after the start and watch from the beginning, along with the usual pausing live action. Prime has a nice feature on Thursday nights where if you tune in late you can start from the beginning, go right to live action or you can watch the highlights so far and then go to live action
lessthannick11
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#979 » by lessthannick11 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:36 am

MickeyDavis wrote:

Thoughts if so?

Within a year I doubt Brewers or Bucks will be on Bally's. It will be interesting to see what the teams/leagues do. The Suns took control and are broadcasting games on local TV channels and offering fans free antennas. They will also be doing their own streaming service. The Jazz are doing the same. ESPN will be doing their own streaming service too but it looks like they are targeting 2025. I'm hanging tight with cable until everything shakes out and then figure out the best option. If games are on a streaming service I want the option of being able to tune in after the start and watch from the beginning, along with the usual pausing live action. Prime has a nice feature on Thursday nights where if you tune in late you can start from the beginning, go right to live action or you can watch the highlights so far and then go to live action
YouTube TV has that same option with sports too

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#980 » by buckboy » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:03 pm

I started the 7 day trial last night on Fubo. It's really user-friendly. I like it a lot.

The biggest thing is the picture quality. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Directv.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks