ImageImage

ATL:The new monster TV deal

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,950

Re: ATL:The new monster TV deal 

Post#41 » by theFireBlanket » Mon Oct 6, 2014 4:14 pm

msiris wrote:The NBA will never catch the NFL. Never.

It might not seem plausible but the possibility does exist.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#42 » by unklchuk » Mon Oct 6, 2014 4:37 pm

Some local fans will struggle to wrap their built-in frugality around the new salary structures. Could be alienating for some. But IMO our new owners will be right at home.
AFAIK, IDKM
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,726

Post#43 » by msiris » Mon Oct 6, 2014 4:39 pm

theFireBlanket wrote:

The NBA is fourth in the amount of revenue its brings in. The NFL makes about 60% more than the NBA. EPL is number one and MLB is number 3. The NBA has a long way to go.
Ride the tank
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#44 » by Badgerlander » Mon Oct 6, 2014 4:44 pm

Lippo wrote:
DocHoliday wrote:
Lippo wrote:

NBA has a long long way to go to catch the NFL.
I don't know a single person that would take free court side tickets to a Bucks game over watching the Packers play on TV.

How about a Browns game or a Raiders game

If I had a player in it, or had money on it...nfl
...close call otherwise if both were on TV...
course i'm not the norm, i have 3 tv's going on sundays, red zone .. packers and 3rd game most relevant to my fantasy games.

There's only a handful of NFL teams that I enjoy watching. I love the Pack but honestly the offense has gotten pretty boring/conservative since Brett left. I won't even go into the D since Fritz left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#45 » by machu46 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 4:49 pm

msiris wrote:I don't care what the NBA is getting. Its still not very competitive. I just don't see the Bucks winning a title in my life time. Outside of the Bucks I have not watched an other team in a long time. Who is going to challenge Cleveland in the east? Until the NBA has a hard cap nothing is going to change.

A lot of people believe Chicago will be better than Cleveland, and Vegas has their win projections about 3 games apart.

But it seems like they're probably the only team in the East that can knock Cleveland off this year barring an unforeseen jump from Washington or Toronto or something.

Many teams in the West could beat them in the Finals though.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,744

Post#46 » by DanoMac » Mon Oct 6, 2014 4:54 pm

machu46 wrote:This is one reason that I wouldn't have a problem if we sign Knight for $7-10 million a year. That will be role-player money in a couple years.

Which is exactly what Knight is.
machu46
General Manager

Post#47 » by machu46 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 4:55 pm

DanoMac wrote:
machu46 wrote:This is one reason that I wouldn't have a problem if we sign Knight for $7-10 million a year. That will be role-player money in a couple years.

Which is why I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. Role player is his worst-case scenario, so paying him for that while having hopes of him improving would be a bargain.
msiris
RealGM

Post#48 » by msiris » Mon Oct 6, 2014 5:04 pm

msiris wrote:
theFireBlanket wrote:

The NBA is fourth in the amount of revenue its brings in. The NFL makes about 60% more than the NBA. EPL is number one and MLB is number 3. The NBA has a long way to go.
Depending at what site you look at the NFL is number one and not EPL. Some even have Formula 1 racing making more than the NBA. But what they all do show is the the NBA is far behind the NFL. What I do find interesting is that basketball is far more popular outside the US.
Ride the tank
msiris
RealGM

Post#49 » by msiris » Mon Oct 6, 2014 5:10 pm

machu46 wrote:
msiris wrote:I don't care what the NBA is getting. Its still not very competitive. I just don't see the Bucks winning a title in my life time. Outside of the Bucks I have not watched an other team in a long time. Who is going to challenge Cleveland in the east? Until the NBA has a hard cap nothing is going to change.

A lot of people believe Chicago will be better than Cleveland, and Vegas has their win projections about 3 games apart.

But it seems like they're probably the only team in the East that can knock Cleveland off this year barring an unforeseen jump from Washington or Toronto or something.

The only teams I see in the West are the Thunder or Spurs. So predictable.
Ride the tank
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,744

Post#50 » by DanoMac » Mon Oct 6, 2014 5:10 pm

machu46 wrote:
DanoMac wrote:

Which is why I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. Role player is his worst-case scenario, so paying him for that while having hopes of him improving would be a bargain.

Fair point. Hope he doesn't think he's better than he is.
machu46
General Manager

Post#51 » by machu46 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 5:12 pm

msiris wrote:
machu46 wrote:

The only teams I see in the West are the Thunder or Spurs. So predictable.

I think the Clippers and Mavs can both contend this year, as well as possibly the Warriors if their young players take the next step.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Post#52 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Oct 6, 2014 5:16 pm

One thing this will do is really limit the value of expiring contracts the next few years. With a spike in the cap nearly every team will have tons of cap space and the luxury tax line will rise too meaning less teams scrambling to shed their bad contracts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM Forums mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#53 » by bigkurty » Mon Oct 6, 2014 5:31 pm

They said they are going to have Sanders and Jabari coming up on this
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11647 ... ngs-91-100
But I still haven't seen Giannis so they must have him as our best player.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#54 » by Nebula1 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 5:55 pm

Lippo wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:
DocHoliday wrote:NBA will now get D-League, Summer League games televised on ESPN's family of networks.

Very nice. The NBA is going to new levels as the NFL is becoming boxing.

NBA has a long long way to go to catch the NFL.

I don't know a single person that would take free court side tickets to a Bucks game over watching the Packers play live on TV.

Just about every sports fan i know if in 3+ fantasy football leagues and I only know 1 person that has even tried fantasy basketball.

The NBA is a nice thing to have on in the background while multitasking and to tune in the last 6 minutes if look interesting at the end, the Packers... DAMN.. I cancelled a non refundable vacation the year the Packers went to the super bowl because I couldn't verify I would be able to watch the NFC Championship game in Hatchet Cay, Belize.

The NFL has barely any chance of becoming a real global sport whereas the NBA could dominate that landscape similar to real football. Also the injury issue is only increasing in the NFL and could eventually stop the party. I think it's very possible you're witnessing the NFL at its very peak while you're witnessing the NBA setting itself up for major (global) expansion.

Eventually people will realize how lame fantasy sports are and until players are truly traded on an exchange, it's a complete waste of time.

I also take the courtside seats over a Packer game every time.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#55 » by Nebula1 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 5:58 pm

I do agree Lebron presents a frustrating challenge to the League by continually stacking the deck but otherwise the competition is pretty good. It's very hard to say who will win the West and if Lebron wasn't doing what he's doing, then the East would be much more even as well.

I think it's more of a Lebron problem than it is an NBA problem. Had Kevin Love been traded to a team like New York or Boston instead of Cleveland, the East would be more enjoyable. But Lebron is wack like that.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,100

Post#56 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 6:00 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:One thing this will do is really limit the value of expiring contracts the next few years.

This is a great point. Expirings really haven't been worth much the last couple years and this will render them moot for the next 3-4, until such time as teams once again load up on stupid decisions.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#57 » by CanadaBucks » Mon Oct 6, 2014 6:09 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:One thing this will do is really limit the value of expiring contracts the next few years.

This is a great point. Expirings really haven't been worth much the last couple years and this will render them moot for the next 3-4, until such time as teams once again load up on stupid decisions.

Was just going to type that expirings are useless(pretty much) now anyway.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,100

Post#58 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 7:13 pm

theFireBlanket wrote:

If you asked people about NFL v NBA a year ago, hands down the NFL would be considered superior for decades to come.

Fast forward 12-months later, and it isn't out of the realm of possibility that the NBA catches the NFL on revenues in the next decade. It certainly won't be the gap from last year ($9 billion NFL revenue v. $4.5 million NBA revenue)
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#59 » by CanadaBucks » Mon Oct 6, 2014 7:16 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
theFireBlanket wrote:

If you asked people about NFL v NBA a year ago, hands down the NFL would be considered superior for decades to come.

Fast forward 12-months later, and it isn't out of the realm of possibility that the NBA catches the NFL on revenues in the next decade. It certainly won't be the gap from last year ($9 billion NFL revenue v. $4.5 million NBA revenue)

Looking for the Chris Wright farewell thread, figured it would be in double digits by now...was kind of obvious when he wasn't at the scrimmage though
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#60 » by Nebula1 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 7:32 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11652 ... s-espn-tnt

Highlights of the enhanced rights in the deal:

• An established framework for ESPN and the league to negotiate the launch of a new "over-the-top" content offering on the mobile platform. Details will be announced at a later date;

• 10 additional regular-season games for ESPN or ABC, bringing the regular-season total to 100;

• 10 more exclusive regular-season windows;

• Increased team appearances to showcase the most popular teams and most compelling matchups more times throughout the season;

• Live, national rights to summer league and D-League games across ESPN entities;

• As part of the new agreement, ESPN will substantially increase its NBA-focused programming with 750 new hours of NBA content on linear and digital platforms for a significant year-round presence for the league on ESPN;

• ESPN International, in Latin America, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand, will carry significantly more exclusive regular-season and playoff games on ESPN platforms, including expanded weekend windows during the regular season, increased first- and second-round playoff coverage and the NBA conference finals and NBA Finals (including exclusivity in Australia and New Zealand).

Also, ESPN announced a multiyear extension for WNBA rights through 2025, which will include increased in-progress highlights on linear and digital platforms.

"The new television and media deals are good news for all of the stakeholders in the business of the NBA," union executive director Michele Roberts said in a statement. "Although we have seen strong revenue growth and significant increases in franchise values over the past three years, it is clear that the league is now entering a period of unprecedented revenue growth. Our job will be to ensure that the players receive their fair share of the results of their efforts and that we do everything possible to maintain the growth and popularity of the game."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks