ImageImage

ATL:The new monster TV deal

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,737

Re: ATL:The new monster TV deal 

Post#81 » by AussieBuck » Tue Oct 7, 2014 3:07 am

There's a forum rivalry thread on the general board that could potentially be fun. Twirly?

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1348186&p=41225278#p41225278
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#82 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Oct 7, 2014 3:32 am

Preseason.

Great to have basketball back.

Paul Pierce in a Wizards jersey talking trash and poking Noah in the eye.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/recordsANDradio/status/519325662315048962[/tweet]
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,751

Post#83 » by TroyD92 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 4:40 am

So nice having basketball back.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,726

Post#84 » by msiris » Tue Oct 7, 2014 4:51 am

stellation wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Not really, basketball is a much better sport which is why it's popular around the world.

Baseballs popular in other parts of the world also. Does that mean the MLB is going to overtake the NFL?

Nowhere near as many places as basketball, though.
But we are talking about the NBA. Just because the world watches basketball doesn"t mean they are watching the NBA. Most likely they are watching their own teams. Worldwide basketball is more popular than football, but the NFL generates the most revenue and the NBA is not even close.
Ride the tank
Garbs_7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,582

Post#85 » by Garbs_7 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 5:10 am

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Preseason.

Great to have basketball back.

Paul Pierce in a Wizards jersey talking trash and poking Noah in the eye.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/recordsANDradio/status/519325662315048962[/tweet]

Forehead, not eye :wink:

Yay NBA.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#86 » by Badgerlander » Tue Oct 7, 2014 11:32 am

:lol:
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#87 » by machu46 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 11:53 am

DocHoliday wrote:Image

Oh Jerami...

...Anyways, I'm extremely excited to have basketball back. I love football, but this is going to be a fun year if we don't get killed by injuries, and I'm going to have League Pass (or something like that) for the first time in my life, so I'll be able to watch all the Bucks games up here in New York.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#88 » by Nebula1 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 11:54 am

Welcome back Kobe and Derrick!

I think Washington is going to miss Ariza. Houston @ evil Dallas tonight.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#89 » by Badgerlander » Tue Oct 7, 2014 2:21 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bochurney/status/519296713656659968[/tweet]
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#90 » by HurricaneKid » Tue Oct 7, 2014 3:09 pm

msiris wrote:The NBA will never catch the NFL. Never.

One of these days I'll write a longer post about the future of football but I'll start with this.

If two 28 year olds play Russian roullette and one dies on the spot and the other lives to the avg life expectancy their average lifespan is (28+79)/2= 58.5.

The avg life expectancy for a 5 year NFL player is 53.7.

If you think football is going to be around 20 years from now at the same level it is now, or if you encourage your child to play football, its time to take a step back and reconsider.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,171

Post#91 » by RRyder823 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 3:27 pm

msiris wrote:
stellation wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Baseballs popular in other parts of the world also. Does that mean the MLB is going to overtake the NFL?

Nowhere near as many places as basketball, though.
But we are talking about the NBA. Just because the world watches basketball doesn"t mean they are watching the NBA. Most likely they are watching their own teams. Worldwide basketball is more popular than football, but the NFL generates the most revenue and the NBA is not even close.

Thank you for saying it. I was comparing football to basketball worldwide. I was talking about any possibility of the NBA overtaking the NFL
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#92 » by Nebula1 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 3:32 pm

DocHoliday wrote:Image

RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,171

Post#93 » by RRyder823 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 3:36 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:

One of these days I'll write a longer post about the future of football but I'll start with this.

If two 28 year olds play Russian roullette and one dies on the spot and the other lives to the avg life expectancy their average lifespan is (28+79)/2= 58.5.

If you think football is going to be around 20 years from now at the same level it is now, or if you encourage your child to play football, its time to take a step back and reconsider.

It a fair point but simalar numbers have been around for a long time. Granted with all the talk of concusions its more in the forefront now but yet NFL ratings still yet to climb. While I cant predict the future and theres no guarantee that the NFL will still be leading the way in 20 years theres no evidence to pointing to the fact that they wont be. Now we could all guess that popularity will start to wain for the NFL but as of right now the ratings still continue to climb and as such the NBA has a long way to go to catch up
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 723

Post#94 » by averageposter » Tue Oct 7, 2014 3:45 pm

At the end of the day. With so few games a year, most NFL games mean something in the big playoff picture to somebody somewhere. Pretty much all season long. I don't think any of the other leagues can ever recreate that kind of sustained interest, especially not basketball that has teams dumping before the season begins. If the NFL takes a step back it will be because the league felt pressure to change the game do to injury concerns.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#95 » by HurricaneKid » Tue Oct 7, 2014 3:46 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:

It a fair point but simalar numbers have been around for a long time. Granted with all the talk of concusions its more in the forefront now but yet NFL ratings still yet to climb. While I cant predict the future and theres no guarantee that the NFL will still be leading the way in 20 years theres no evidence to pointing to the fact that they wont be. Now we could all guess that popularity will start to wain for the NFL but as of right now the ratings still continue to climb and as such the NBA has a long way to go to catch up

Of course.

There is always a belief that things won't change. Boxing was the most popular sport in the country less than 100 years ago. There was a team on every campus. I was responding to the "The NBA will never catch the NFL. Never." quote. I think football will peak in the next 3 years.

If grown men want to play a sport that kills them I believe its their right to do so. But I quit football this year. I don't want my son to come to believe football is an integral part of our lives in fear of him believing he should be playing. The data on youth football is far scarier to me than NFL players losing half their lives and my son is NOT going to play.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#96 » by Nebula1 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 4:21 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:There is always a belief that things won't change. Boxing was the most popular sport in the country less than 100 years ago. There was a team on every campus. I was responding to the "The NBA will never catch the NFL. Never." quote. I think football will peak in the next 3 years.

If grown men want to play a sport that kills them I believe its their right to do so. But I quit football this year. I don't want my son to come to believe football is an integral part of our lives in fear of him believing he should be playing. The data on youth football is far scarier to me than NFL players losing half their lives and my son is NOT going to play.

All very important points. I've long compared the NFL to boxing and you're absolutely right about pointing it out, if only for the severe violence and resulting injuries. At one time, Wisconsin was a strong boxing school and I fondly remember seeing the awards in the Field House.

You also raise another point. There is an entire generation of kids growing up avoiding the sport via personal decision or via parenting. I don't have kids, but I wouldn't want them to play at this point even though I did. Eventually those numbers will reduce the audience, whereas more and more kids are playing soccer or basketball these days.

If you're a star athlete, I think you're choosing basketball over football more often than not now. Couple that with the NFL treating players so poorly and the NBA treating players well, I think the professional choice is obvious.

It's a fascinating discussion and enjoyable to watch the cycle.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,771

Post#97 » by emunney » Tue Oct 7, 2014 4:45 pm

I'll bet you all the money that you're wrong.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Miasma
Rookie
And1: 1,422

Post#98 » by Miasma » Tue Oct 7, 2014 5:55 pm

Giannis put at #88 on NBA Rank (if you care about arbitrary rankings). For all the hype he's been getting, there certainly seems to be a backlash against him from fans of other teams. Sanders falls to #93.
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#99 » by CanadaBucks » Tue Oct 7, 2014 6:05 pm

Miasma wrote:Giannis put at #88 on NBA Rank (if you care about arbitrary rankings). For all the hype he's been getting, there certainly seems to be a backlash against him from fans of other teams. Sanders falls to #93.

People who haven't seen him much just look at the B/R stats...had a discussion with Sixers fans re: his value vs. MCW's...they seemed to think it would be viewed as equal around the NBA's FOs
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#100 » by old skool » Tue Oct 7, 2014 6:10 pm

emunney wrote:

I'll bet you all the money that you're wrong.

And I'll bet that you are both right.

I don't see the NBA catching the NFL in this country. The relatively simple concept of the game of football makes it easy for casual fans to cheer for their team. The NFL just needs to find ways to sanitize the violence and personal carnage so the game does not cause society to revolt against it.

But the NBA is on track to easily surpass the NFL in revenue and popularity - worldwide. With access to the billions of people outside the USA, millions of whom already enjoy basketball, the NBA is fishing in a much deeper pool than the NFL.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks