emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,731

Re: Jabari Parker out for season - torn ACL pg20 

Post#881 » by emunney » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:33 am

AussieBuck wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
emunney wrote:
The Bucks' press release stated he's having surgery to repair a torn ACL.

which automatically means he needs a reconstruction?... or are there lessor versions of some sort?

Im holding out hope that perhaps there might be some news to make me feel better about a longterm outlook. appreciate the responses here btw

You can get an artificial ligament put in for ACL injuries, it allows you to come back in few months but I'm pretty sure it's more prone to failure. Good option for old guys looking for one last shot without throwing away a year or so. It's called LARS.

Jez was talking about that a while back and mentioned that the guy reinjured his knee and it actually ripped the bone plugs out. The ligament itself didn't fail. The anchors did. Horrifying. IIRC it was just an artificial ligament, i.e. an alternative to a natural tissue graft, but the initial injury was the same. You come back faster if you get an allograft (a cadaver ACL), too, but it's more prone to failure or even rejection/absorption. I believe that's what Redd got at least once and maybe both times.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,722

Post#882 » by AussieBuck » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:37 am

emunney wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
which automatically means he needs a reconstruction?... or are there lessor versions of some sort?

Im holding out hope that perhaps there might be some news to make me feel better about a longterm outlook. appreciate the responses here btw

You can get an artificial ligament put in for ACL injuries, it allows you to come back in few months but I'm pretty sure it's more prone to failure. Good option for old guys looking for one last shot without throwing away a year or so. It's called LARS.

Jez was talking about that a while back and mentioned that the guy reinjured his knee and it actually ripped the bone plugs out. The ligament itself didn't fail. The anchors did. Horrifying. IIRC it was just an artificial ligament, i.e. an alternative to a natural tissue graft, but the initial injury was the same. You come back faster if you get an allograft (a cadaver ACL), too, but it's more prone to failure or even rejection/absorption. I believe that's what Redd got at least once and maybe both times.

IIRC it can also tear like a regular ACL. A few Australian footballers have had it done with mixed results. It's pretty incredible seeing a guy do his ACL and come back and play like it never happened in the same season. One little player got through pretty much his whole career on a synthetic ACL. I'd be frightened if Jabari went that way but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone over there having a LARS procedure.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#883 » by drew881 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:38 am

BMatt07 wrote:Not sure if anyone posted this.. sorry if this is a repost.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2IJi5U9QJg[/youtube]

ESPN has to turn everything into a comparison and rankings game. In 5 min we went from Parker vs. Wiggins, to Parker = Melo, to Melo vs. Lebron, then to Wiggins vs. Levine and finally on to Parker vs. Grant Hill. And then Stephen A Smith says "He's almost sorry for him," and "Sorry kid" with a half glance to the camera. They just can't straight report a story without turning it into some game. And wtf is up with Bass Pro Sports in the background during the show?
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#884 » by trwi7 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:42 am

drew881 wrote:

ESPN has to turn everything into a comparison and rankings game. In 5 min we went from Parker vs. Wiggins, to Parker = Melo, to Melo vs. Lebron, then to Wiggins vs. Levine and finally on to Parker vs. Grant Hill. And then Stephen A Smith says "He's almost sorry for him," and "Sorry kid" with a half glance to the camera. They just can't straight report a story without turning it into some game. And wtf is up with Bass Pro Sports in the background during the show?

The sad thing is when it was Cold Pizza it used to be a decent show. Then they got a new producer and the "Embrace Debate" became a thing and it turned the show into complete **** and Skip Bayless into King Troll.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
mnstinks
Sixth Man
And1: 42

Post#885 » by mnstinks » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:42 pm

I have only seen ACL. Any other ligaments/damage? Makes a big difference in recovery and stability
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,838

Post#886 » by VooDoo7 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:49 pm

mnstinks wrote:I have only seen ACL. Any other ligaments/damage? Makes a big difference in recovery and stability

It worries me that we don't have confirmation of this (unless I missed it).
Dimitraa
Banned User
And1: 115

Post#887 » by Dimitraa » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:59 pm

I would prefer Jabari to have the best results surgery even if it takes triple the recovery time.Also with the state of the Bucks PR and journalists who cover the team I don't expect to hear any more info on the kind of injury any time soon.Maybe after six months or when he comes back we learn the whole story.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#888 » by HurricaneKid » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:34 am

VooDoo7 wrote:
mnstinks wrote:I have only seen ACL. Any other ligaments/damage? Makes a big difference in recovery and stability

It worries me that we don't have confirmation of this (unless I missed it).

Especially because so many of us thought it was considerably worse.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
lilojmayo
Veteran
And1: 356

Post#889 » by lilojmayo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:20 pm

all that tanking , and guy gets injured. Tanking such a high risk-high reward, thing. hope for a speedy recovery though
OJ Mayo , Michael Jordan , Allen Iverson.
Ingress
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#890 » by Ingress » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:18 pm

lilojmayo wrote:all that tanking , and guy gets injured. Tanking such a high risk-high reward, thing. hope for a speedy recovery though

Sure, but no one expected the Bucks to compete this year. He's going to come back just as strong if not stronger. This year doesn't matter. If anything its a blessing in disguise.
CannondaleF400
Rookie
And1: 422

Post#891 » by CannondaleF400 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:49 pm

lilojmayo wrote:all that tanking , and guy gets injured. Tanking such a high risk-high reward, thing. hope for a speedy recovery though

Yes it kind of seems we went through that trainwreck last year and now are back where we started. This year would have been huge for the development of Jabari and Giannis. Each year that goes on the expectations will be higher, so it's disappointing they will miss this season to develop with very low expectations. The fan base was building too and that is also setback. The only positive I see in this situation is that nobody will be on "Jabari Watch" hoping he can rush back for the post-season, ala Derrick Rose.
jtf150
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#892 » by jtf150 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:19 pm

CannondaleF400 wrote:

Yes it kind of seems we went through that trainwreck last year and now are back where we started. This year would have been huge for the development of Jabari and Giannis. Each year that goes on the expectations will be higher, so it's disappointing they will miss this season to develop with very low expectations. The fan base was building too and that is also setback. The only positive I see in this situation is that nobody will be on "Jabari Watch" hoping he can rush back for the post-season, ala Derrick Rose.

There are many differences from last year, so it isn't back to where we started. This year the Bucks have an actual coach, that knows basketball. The injury may have drawn Giannis and Jabari closer. Giannis has already offered Jabari to talk to him anytime he needs someone, which may have helped the chemistry. Both of these guys are so young and could actually still be in college. They have many years to develop together, and this is only a minor set back. It would have been nice to have them play together, and Jabari was just starting to get settled in, but they have plenty of time for that.
“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''” - Muhammad Ali
CannondaleF400
Rookie
And1: 422

Post#893 » by CannondaleF400 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:50 pm

jtf150 wrote:
CannondaleF400 wrote:

There are many differences from last year, so it isn't back to where we started. This year the Bucks have an actual coach, that knows basketball. The injury may have drawn Giannis and Jabari closer. Giannis has already offered Jabari to talk to him anytime he needs someone, which may have helped the chemistry. Both of these guys are so young and could actually still be in college. They have many years to develop together, and this is only a minor set back. It would have been nice to have them play together, and Jabari was just starting to get settled in, but they have plenty of time for that.

You are right it is not back where we started but it feels that way. Especially watching Knight freeze out Giannis and all the mediocre vets. Yes the coaching is far superior but we didn't tank to get a coach. I'm trying to be optimistic but it's realistic that Jabari could be a guy battling knee injuries his entire career ala Redd, and then we really don't have a second star. I hope that's not what happens and hopefully he can stay on the court and be a complement to Giannis for years to come.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,055

Post#894 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:58 pm

CannondaleF400 wrote:Yes it kind of seems we went through that trainwreck last year and now are back where we started. .

Obviously we aren't back where we started in the sense that we have new owners, good coach, arena momentum. In the big picture those are the important pieces.

But I do agree that from an on-court product standpoint, we've been set back two-years or maybe more here as it relates to this team reaching its full potential.

This team needed Jabari to be an all-star. Period. This injury changes his career trajectory either massively (he becomes a "Redd/Rose" guy who always has knee issues given his body type and style of game) or minimally in that it takes away 12-18 months of his needed development.

Either way, you can't minimize what just happened in Phoenix last week. The only silver lining I'd get would be if it meant we'd sell and tank and get back in to the top 7/8 in the 2015 draft. But that doesn't appear to be in the cards.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,533

Post#895 » by raferfenix » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:04 pm

Anyone talking about silver linings are kidding themselves.

The best we can hope for is minimal long term negative impact on Parker.

Maybe the injury makes him an even more serious, focused player recognizing how everything can be snatched away in an instant. Or maybe he is able to work on his jumper and come back with that in his toolset.

But neither of those things -- nor a nominally better pick -- are remotely worth the risk to his long term health and inability to develop on the court this season.
lilojmayo
Veteran
And1: 356

Post#896 » by lilojmayo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:07 pm

CannondaleF400 wrote:

Tanking is so overrated, even Wiggins not looking like a world beater. But then again you could always get lucky with Anthony Davis, Derrick Rose,Kyrie Irving , John Wall type . still its so hit or miss.

wouldn't you rather always stay competitive and try to build a team thru good free agent signings?

edit OJ Mayo signing was horrendous
OJ Mayo , Michael Jordan , Allen Iverson.
Giannis Parker
Banned User
And1: 169

Post#897 » by Giannis Parker » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:12 pm

Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but it appears that Parker only partially tore his ACL.

If this is the case, we are looking at a 3-6 month window of recovery, meaning that if he heals well and we trust it, he could at least suit up for the playoffs assuming we make it.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,928

Post#898 » by theFireBlanket » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:18 pm

Giannis Parker wrote:Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but it appears that Parker only partially tore his ACL.

If this is the case, we are looking at a 3-6 month window of recovery, meaning that if he heals well and we trust it, he could at least suit up for the playoffs assuming we make it.

I hope they don't try to bring him back this season. Even if it was a partial tear. Let him get 100% healthy, guaranteed. The Bucks have risked too many players health in recent history and those remaining from the organization should know well by now that it isn't worth potentially ruining Jabari's health.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
ColeWorld23
Sixth Man
And1: 679

Post#899 » by ColeWorld23 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:22 pm

drew881 wrote:

First Take is for unemployed people lol

The show is so garbage and played out
MadBlueEdwards
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#900 » by MadBlueEdwards » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:34 pm

lilojmayo wrote:
CannondaleF400 wrote:

Tanking is so overrated, even Wiggins not looking like a world beater. But then again you could always get lucky with Anthony Davis, Derrick Rose,Kyrie Irving , John Wall type . still its so hit or miss.

wouldn't you rather always stay competitive and try to build a team thru good free agent signings?

You can't be serious.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks