ImageImage

PG: Bucks Lose - A Boring Pace

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Re: 

Post#81 » by unklchuk » Sat Jan 3, 2015 5:39 pm

Aaron It Out wrote:Nobody is forcing anybody to watch these games. I dont get the point of watching them if they are such a chore to watch or you are bored to death watching. Just dont watch then.

Just my two cents.

And worth every penny! :wink:

I was describing a conflict in me. IMO it's reasonable to look for ways to resolve my new-found optimism for the future with an often pedestrian present. And it's more than just me. The .500 record is remarkable, and the team has generated buzz. Will the buzz sustain until the summer when more resources can be added?

IMHO the new regime got off to a great start in breaking with the past and defining its commitment to building a contender over a few years. Then the hot start changed expectations. And the bad luck sabotaged the high points of the team, making it what the guy I quoted described. A middling group playing its asses off with middling results.

Maybe ownership will find a way to redefine this season, and make folks like me see it as a significant step up the curve to becoming good.
AFAIK, IDKM
unklchuk
Head Coach

Re: PG: Bucks Lose - A Boring Pace 

Post#82 » by unklchuk » Sat Jan 3, 2015 5:47 pm

To be clear, I never said I would stop watching the games. I will use the DVR to move quickly through the flat, featureless plains that are part of our journey.

I've been a Bucks fan for 46 years. The problem I described is not that of a fair weather fan. And I believe it's something team marketing may wish to take a look at.
AFAIK, IDKM
Steve210
Pro Prospect
And1: 79

Post#83 » by Steve210 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 5:55 pm

A few thoughts on last nights game.

1. JOB should not start, insert Henson tomorrow night to play next to Zaza - I'm not writing off JOB, he's just very raw and he needs a lot of coaching. He likes jacking up 16' foot jumpers way too much, and looks lost defensively. If we weren't so thin on bigs I'd send him down to NBADL.

2. Kendall Marshall needs more PT. I love the ball movement with him on the floor. We always seem to get easy baskets due to his court vision, he just needs more mins.

I expect the Bucks to add a big this week, will it be KMart or via a trade or maybe even a NBADL call up? Time will tell, but they need to add another big body right away.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,533

Post#84 » by raferfenix » Sat Jan 3, 2015 5:55 pm

It wouldn't take that much to make this team much more watchable.

We have had a string of non-PG's chucking forever it seems.

Trading Knight and focusing on feeding Giannis on the break and otherwise would be a breath of fresh air.

We might lose a few more games this season but, you know, #OwnTheFuture.

Knight may be young but he is as emblematic of the past as you can get around here.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#85 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 5:57 pm

unklchuk wrote:To be clear, I never said I would stop watching the games. I will use the DVR to move quickly through the flat, featureless plains that are part of our journey.

I've been a Bucks fan for 46 years. The problem I described is not that of a fair weather fan. And I believe it's something team marketing may wish to take a look at.

Your fandom doesn't need to be questioned. No one's does. All of us hung on throughout the terrible last ten years, even during the low points of the Larry K era and the last gasps of Skiles.

But whether casual fan or core fan, you need your favorite NBA team to either be winning OR giving you serious hope for the future. We are much better positioned than we were under Herb. Far better. But LED are going to have to get creative here with Kidd to sort out the personnel on this team between now and the end of FA in August.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#86 » by machu46 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 5:57 pm

Yeah, I understand the guys that are deflated about this team. Getting a top 5 pick would definitely be better than getting knocked out in the first round of the playoffs.

Having said that, as a basketball nut that loves watching teams that move the ball well, I've really enjoyed watching this team as they learn to make the extra pass and stuff like that, and I've enjoyed watching some of our players improve and add more to their games as the season goes on.
Steve210
Pro Prospect
And1: 79

Post#87 » by Steve210 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 5:58 pm

One other note, they need to find a way to get Giannis more involved. On way to many possessions he doesn't even touch the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#88 » by Treebeard » Sat Jan 3, 2015 6:08 pm

unklchuk wrote:I posted this a few minutes ago (snip)

Good to see you post here again!

I have to agree that when Parker went down, my enjoyment sagged. It wasn't just Parker alone - which is bad enough, it was more the deferred future piece. Now this problem situation with Larry. On the better side, Kidd sometimes makes perplexing coaching choices to us rubes, but the improvements are obvious.

Basically, a exciting start, then a big crash, and now it's wandering around in the dark looking for the light switch - for me anyway.
imithanos
Starter
And1: 657

Post#89 » by imithanos » Sat Jan 3, 2015 6:10 pm

Steve210 wrote:A few thoughts on last nights game.

1. JOB should not start, insert Henson tomorrow night to play next to Zaza - I'm not writing off JOB, he's just very raw and he needs a lot of coaching. He likes jacking up 16' foot jumpers way too much, and looks lost defensively. If we weren't so thin on bigs I'd send him down to NBADL.

You realize that we will only have JOB in the bench, right? One of the reasons we lost the game yesterday was that Dudley was guarding Scola and the Pacers exploited that 100%. Till Sanders (or KM) can play at C the team has only Henson and Zaza. Kidd's mistake imo is that he has JOB and Giannis in the same lineup. Till the injured players return (Ersan or Sanders) it should be a pairing of Giannis or JOB as PF with Zaza or Henson as C. :wink:
No hay banda.
unklchuk
Head Coach

Post#90 » by unklchuk » Sat Jan 3, 2015 6:14 pm

One other note, they need to find a way to get Giannis more involved. On way to many possessions he doesn't even touch the ball.

As others have said, Knight doesn't work with Giannis. Others at PG do, but he seems to see his offense as 4 on 5. I don't want to get rid of Knight. 2/3 of his play is at a high level. But he has to be told to make it a priority to create things with G.

But LED are going to have to get creative here with Kidd to sort out the personnel on this team between now and the end of FA in August.

At BrewHoop I lightly speculated that Lasry & Edens weren't in Milwaukee just for last night's game. They were here to sit down with management and decide what needs to be done to right the ship. Things could start happening Monday or at least next week. Maybe they'll decide to hold the cards they have, stand pat, but I doubt they like the current status quo and will look for things to do that make sense.
AFAIK, IDKM
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,136

Post#91 » by JimmyTheKid » Sat Jan 3, 2015 6:17 pm

Steve210 wrote:A few thoughts on last nights game.

I don't mind him starting if Kidd plans on eventually bringing him back into the game. I just don't like the "token" start. JOB is definitely raw and lost on defense a good amount of the time, but he shows me a little something different every game to suggest he could be a rotational guy in the future. He's got a pretty decent handle for a big and even though his shot wasn't falling last night, he had a couple nice passes for assists. Kidd is in a really tough spot with Jabari, Larry, and Ersan out.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#92 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 6:17 pm

unklchuk wrote:At BrewHoop I lightly speculated that Lasry & Edens weren't in Milwaukee just for last night's game. They were here to sit down with management and decide what needs to be done to right the ship.

Maybe/maybe not. Financial business shuts down at this time of year, so they likely have some time to focus on the Bucks that past week. Arena stuff is also at a critical juncture. Lasry sat with Feigen at his left most of the night. And Feigin is his man on the ground with the business aspects of the new arena.

ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#93 » by ampd » Sat Jan 3, 2015 6:24 pm

unklchuk wrote:I posted this a few minutes ago at BrewHoop. Wondering if others feel it.

This graf stopped me in my tracks:

i just don’t really care about this team much anymore. i mean i’ll still watch, read, etc, as i have to see it as a part of the larger plan. BUT…..giannis has been pedestrian, larry done, knight being knight, jabari (the biggest disappointment)…..and the rest are just a bunch of nba journeymen who are playing really well under great coaching by kidd. it’s like they’re kohl’s dream team: cheap, and fighting for a 7 seed, playing to their ceilings….BORING….

Watching a team play a boring style, to their middling ceiling, with a bunch of journeymen is exactly why I don't watch Wisconsin Badgers basketball most years, so I can definitely sympathize with that sentiment, although I wouldn't call myself a die hard Badger fan by any means.

With that said, I don't think most of our games have been boring, quite the opposite. I don't think the style of play we usually employ is boring, slow, or hard on the eyes either.

As someone who isn't suffering from crippling indecision about watching the team as it is, it seems like most of the sentiment is just plain old disappointment. We got our hopes up and now we have to live with a season that has a lower ceiling to go along with not knowing what our potential superstar who was shooting almost 60% in the month he went down is going to be like when he comes back from a serious injury.

I agree with and sympathize about that part being a downer, but the product we are putting out on the court plays an entertaining and competitive brand of basketball that is often very fun to watch.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#94 » by EastSideBucksFan » Sat Jan 3, 2015 6:29 pm

Last night's game was honestly the most boring of the season. Definitely not a sentiment I've felt on the regular. Jabari going down still isn't enough for me to jump ship. We still have Giannis and multiple interesting players. I've watched much worse and more boring Bucks basketball teams in my life. I watch em all. I just have to mentally adjust what I am watching for. Right now I'm still fascinated by Giannis development, Kidd's coaching, progress of Knight, Marshall and emergence of Henson.
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#95 » by H2tObes » Sat Jan 3, 2015 6:43 pm

I'm really only interested in Giannis at this point....maybe Henson too because he still has a lot of room to improve
unklchuk
Head Coach

Post#96 » by unklchuk » Sat Jan 3, 2015 7:14 pm

"Lasry sat with Feigen at his left most of the night."

At one point the TV camera showed them with a long-haired, enthusiastic dude on lasry's left. Looked like a rock musician or a non-button-down British entrepreneur. Wondered if I should recognize him...

2nd question: I've been And 1-ing some of the posts, but not noticing any others. Any reason that's not common here?
AFAIK, IDKM
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#97 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 7:19 pm

unklchuk wrote:"Lasry sat with Feigen at his left most of the night."

At one point the TV camera showed them with a long-haired, enthusiastic dude on lasry's left. Looked like a rock musician or a non-button-down British entrepreneur. Wondered if I should recognize him...

I don't know his name, but he's a long-time season ticket holder. I've always referred to him as Sammy Hagar for years and then Frank made it official last night. I think he got the two courtside seats next to Lasry for that one night only. I wouldn't read anything into him being there, outside of that. He'll be back at his normal seats likely for the next game.

Frank Madden
‏@brewhoop
Wes Edens and Marc Lasry sitting courtside with what appears to be the Milwaukee equivalent of Sammy Hagar.

Floating_Labels
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#98 » by Floating_Labels » Sat Jan 3, 2015 8:51 pm

machu46 wrote:Yeah, I understand the guys that are deflated about this team. Getting a top 5 pick would definitely be better than getting knocked out in the first round of the playoffs.

I really don't get why people still think it's a foregone conclusion that we would get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs, this team has competed almost every game and even has a few blowouts of their own. Last night was a bad match up with us being thin in the frontcourt. I can't even begin to count the times the crowd was ready to explode only for the Pacers to hit some impossible shot. They made at least one bank three and Miles was looking like Kobe Bryant. It's not like I really expect most of the posters here to understand that tho since so many have already admitted to not paying attention or tuning out smh.
"Ever time I score a basket, I'm going to pin a new animal on my shirt so that it's like a zoo." - Kobe Bryant
davids22
Sophomore
And1: 86

Post#99 » by davids22 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 9:07 pm

Was at the game last night... things I noticed:

Brandon Knight always goes solo on fastbreaks. Him and Giannis almost ran into each other a few times at the top of the key.

If Giannis would actually have a jump shot, he would of had 15+ points. That's going to be his biggest "what if" over the next 2 seasons. I hope so badly he takes all of the off-season and next season to work on that jumper while Jabari gets back to 100%. I'm ready to see where we will be in the 2016-2017 seasons with a healthy 22 year old Jabari and Giannis.

Henson looked great tonight. The 2nd quarter had a stretch where he had a few buckets and a few assists that just looked great. Really hope he can find a place on this team/rotation as a quality bench player. Can't really see him playing the 5 if Larry get's traded, and Giannis and Jabari are too big and not consistent outside scorers to have either play the 2, meaning our future is probably them playing the 3 and 4.

I thought Kendall Marshall's shot was atrocious in NBA 2k, and I finally saw it up close and personal tonight when he shot a 3. He pretty much launches his hand directly forward. Makes me cringe lol. Love him as a PG though.
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,415

Post#100 » by MiltownHawkeye » Sun Jan 4, 2015 1:30 am

Floating_Labels wrote:
machu46 wrote:Yeah, I understand the guys that are deflated about this team. Getting a top 5 pick would definitely be better than getting knocked out in the first round of the playoffs.

I really don't get why people still think it's a foregone conclusion that we would get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs, this team has competed almost every game and even has a few blowouts of their own. Last night was a bad match up with us being thin in the frontcourt. I can't even begin to count the times the crowd was ready to explode only for the Pacers to hit some impossible shot. They made at least one bank three and Miles was looking like Kobe Bryant. It's not like I really expect most of the posters here to understand that tho since so many have already admitted to not paying attention or tuning out smh.

I can see where youre coming from. None of the teams at the top of this conference are exactly juggernauts except maybe Chicago. I wouldn't bet on us to win but it'd still be an interesting enough series. It's not like we're backing into the 8 seed and playing the championship favorites.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak

Return to Milwaukee Bucks