ImageImage

Kidd

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Johnny Kilroy
Assistant Coach
And1: 442

Kidd 

Post#1 » by Johnny Kilroy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:33 am

full disclosure - i have followed kidd meticulously his whole career. to me he's the second best pg ever. i knew his greatest ability, getting his teammates to play better, would translate as coach. we saw what he did in brooklyn. i felt they made a colossal mistake letting kidd go. whether he deserved it or not...he has the talent to be President right now. and last i heard, he is on pace to become your president in a few more years...is that still true?

i just wanna know...right now u are looking at a 6 maybe 5 seed in the playoffs. u were the worst team in the nba last year. u gained jabari but lost him and kendall for the year. and who knows whether larry sanders will play this season. how happy are u with kidd? my two cents...u didn't just get a HOF player, u got a HOF coach.

for what it's worth...rick carlisle is on record saying he learned more about coaching from coaching kidd than he ever learned about coaching from anybody else. that list includes larry bird.

also mad props for being such an active forum.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,411

Re: Kidd 

Post#2 » by randy84 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:37 am

Johnny Kilroy wrote:full disclosure - i have followed kidd meticulously his whole career. to me he's the second best pg ever. i knew his greatest ability, getting his teammates to play better, would translate as coach. we saw what he did in brooklyn. i felt they made a colossal mistake letting kidd go. whether he deserved it or not...he has the talent to be President right now. and last i heard, he is on pace to become your president in a few more years...is that still true?

i just wanna know...right now u are looking at a 6 maybe 5 seed in the playoffs. u were the worst team in the nba last year. u gained jabari but lost him and kendall for the year. and who knows whether larry sanders will play this season. how happy are u with kidd? my two cents...u didn't just get a HOF player, u got a HOF coach.

for what it's worth...rick carlisle is on record saying he learned more about coaching from coaching kidd than he ever learned about coaching from anybody else. that list includes larry bird.

also mad props for being such an active forum.

Kidd is GOAT. Why you would take Billy King over him is beyond me.
BallinBucks420
Pro Prospect
And1: 108

Post#3 » by BallinBucks420 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:46 am

its like kidd has this magic spell over players.. everyone plays their tail off for him and he gets players to play better then they really are.. there very comfotorable with him and its awesome to watch.. i think a lot has to do with the staff hes asssembled.. he lets them do a lot of things witch in turn keeps everyone involved.. he even has joe prunt our offensive coach design the plays for in game situtation and out of bounds plays or game winners
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#4 » by ampd » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:39 am

BallinBucks420 wrote:its like kidd has this magic spell over players.. everyone plays their tail off for him and he gets players to play better then they really are.. there very comfotorable with him and its awesome to watch.. i think a lot has to do with the staff hes asssembled.. he lets them do a lot of things witch in turn keeps everyone involved.. he even has joe prunt our offensive coach design the plays for in game situtation and out of bounds plays or game winners

Whoever designs our in bounds plays does a damn fine job of it.
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#5 » by Prince12 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:00 am

Despite the bad press I was stoked with the signing of Kidd. Big name signings aren't associated with Milwaukee and it was a great get by the new owners.
As mentioned he gets an effort level out of the players that has to be admired. His rotations can be seriously frustrating but to this point you can't really argue with the results. I think this forum just hopes that he is still pulling for the future and not just using a win now mentality to boost his coaching resume to move on. I think after this summer we will all have a better idea of Kidd's pull within the organisation and his intentions for the future but to this point I think the signing is an absolute A+.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#6 » by Mags FTW » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:34 am

Johnny Kilroy wrote:he has the talent to be President right now. and last i heard, he is on pace to become your president in a few more years...is that still true?

You're damn right. Kidd in 2016.

:usa:
ReKon
Senior
And1: 430

Post#7 » by ReKon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:27 am

He seems to be just as charismatic a coach as the player he used to be.He also has some pretty good plays(that Utah play he drew up that could send the game to OT was not only a good one but seemed like it was executed to perfection.Shows how much players work during practices)
Giannis Parker
Banned User
And1: 169

Post#8 » by Giannis Parker » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:24 pm

Just imagine when our talent blossoms, we really could be something special.
PackAttack9
Senior
And1: 224

Post#9 » by PackAttack9 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:11 pm

Happy in the way that we got championship level coach, and that alone is priceless. There are only 4 head coaches in the league that have rings, (Pop, Spoe, Carlisle, Doc) Not only his coaching deserves recognition but he also is the best possible free agent recruiter we have, & all the veteran players in the league respect him, and he could probably outplay backup point guards still being 2 years done with playing. It is a crazy season with first outperforming expectations, then getting injuries to Ersan, Parker, 1 poorly timed personnel decision in waiving Wolters for Kidd's friend Kenyon before Marshall went down. We had every excuse to blow the team up and tank on purpose once Parker went down and still sort of do with Larry Sanders' problems. That Kidd and the organization are trying to instill a winning culture is a refreshing change from just being competitive enough for the 8th seed.
Johnny Kilroy
Assistant Coach
And1: 442

Post#10 » by Johnny Kilroy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:37 pm

PackAttack9 wrote:Happy in the way that we got championship level coach, and that alone is priceless. There are only 4 head coaches in the league that have rings, (Pop, Spoe, Carlisle, Doc) Not only his coaching deserves recognition but he also is the best possible free agent recruiter we have, & all the veteran players in the league respect him, and he could probably outplay backup point guards still being 2 years done with playing. It is a crazy season with first outperforming expectations, then getting injuries to Ersan, Parker, 1 poorly timed personnel decision in waiving Wolters for Kidd's friend Kenyon before Marshall went down. We had every excuse to blow the team up and tank on purpose once Parker went down and still sort of do with Larry Sanders' problems. That Kidd and the organization are trying to instill a winning culture is a refreshing change from just being competitive enough for the 8th seed.

i really believe kidd is building something special and he's in this for the long haul. he is very close with Lasry and that's where his loyalty lies. i truly believe kidd will become the best coach/President in the league. i've never been to milwaukee but i'm thrilled for you guys. grabbing kidd was/is a franchise game-changer. the future of the bucks has never been brighter.
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#11 » by step3profit » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:45 pm

PackAttack9 wrote:There are only 4 head coaches in the league that have rings, (Pop, Spoe, Carlisle, Doc)

Wow, that's crazy. Didn't realize that.

However, people played crazy hard for Skiles as well. For a year or two, everywhere he's gone.

We have yet to see if Kidd is sustainable over the long haul. I hope he is, but the facts aren't all in yet.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,190

Post#12 » by skones » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:27 am

step3profit wrote:
PackAttack9 wrote:There are only 4 head coaches in the league that have rings, (Pop, Spoe, Carlisle, Doc)

However, people played crazy hard for Skiles as well. For a year or two, everywhere he's gone.

We have yet to see if Kidd is sustainable over the long haul. I hope he is, but the facts aren't all in yet.

Skiles is intense, and demanding. That ways a lot on players and that's why he wore out his welcome. Reports are that much of the same is happening with Thibodeau. Kidd doesn't strike me as a guy who operates in that manner. He just seems to be an effective communicator.
jtf150
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#13 » by jtf150 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:07 am

I think right now, Kidd's success is because he can relate to players, because he is young and was a legend point guard. Players respect him and his talents. We will see if it continues as he gets older.
“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''” - Muhammad Ali
SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Post#14 » by SpursNBucks » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:25 am

step3profit wrote:

2 totally different Coaches. Skiles wears on players after a while, where Kidd is a "players coach". Skiles was a grinder as a player - Kidd is HOF'er.

The problem that I think that may arise is Kidd leaving for a better NBA job soon. I know he has a relationship with an owner, but not sure that will be powerful enough to make him and his wife to stay in Milwaukee, WI.
Giannis Parker
Banned User

Post#15 » by Giannis Parker » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:44 pm

SpursNBucks wrote:
The problem that I think that may arise is Kidd leaving for a better NBA job soon. I know he has a relationship with an owner, but not sure that will be powerful enough to make him and his wife to stay in Milwaukee, WI.

Agree fully with this, also surprised nobody has brought this up, but I am worried Kidd will be our next George Karl. Karl demanded more power within the organization, made several bonehead moves, and really put this franchise into a tailspin. Karl learned from his mistakes, but Kidd is still fresh and susceptible to the same irrational decisions if he does demand more power.

I do not want to freak people out, but the way Kidd acts with Giannis reminds me a lot of how Karl and Allen were. Karl worked 1 on 1 with Allen every single day, did what he could to turn Allen into a better defender, and then irrationally gave up on Allen. I am worried the same thing will happen if Giannis fails to take the desired steps Kidd demands of him.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#16 » by smauss » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:02 pm

As I've stated somewhere else, Kidd and Skiles don't have much of anything in common as coaches but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the only thing they have in common is the way in which they exit...
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
Insomniaac
Rookie
And1: 994

Post#17 » by Insomniaac » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:06 pm

Giannis Parker wrote:
SpursNBucks wrote:

Agree fully with this, also surprised nobody has brought this up, but I am worried Kidd will be our next George Karl. Karl demanded more power within the organization, made several bonehead moves, and really put this franchise into a tailspin. Karl learned from his mistakes, but Kidd is still fresh and susceptible to the same irrational decisions if he does demand more power.

I do not want to freak people out, but the way Kidd acts with Giannis reminds me a lot of how Karl and Allen were. Karl worked 1 on 1 with Allen every single day, did what he could to turn Allen into a better defender, and then irrationally gave up on Allen. I am worried the same thing will happen if Giannis fails to take the desired steps Kidd demands of him.

Also concerned about him leaving. Would not be surprised if he's gone after his three year contract is up. Hopefully if that happens we're a promising enough team to lure another talented coach.

Is there anything to make you think Kidd would give up on him or Giannis would not take the "desired steps" other than the Karl/Allen parallel?
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,827

Post#18 » by tydett » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:17 pm

This fear of Kidd leaving is irrational. If he builds a winner, he won't leave to go build one somewhere else (because only bad teams need new coaches). If he doesn't, we'll put moving signs on his lawn for him.
Giannis Parker
Banned User

Post#19 » by Giannis Parker » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:25 pm

MKE wrote:
Is there anything to make you think Kidd would give up on him or Giannis would not take the "desired steps" other than the Karl/Allen parallel?

No, but the connection is still there, and this is the first occurrence since Karl and Allen that it has been present.

All previous regimes that came after the Karl regime have been pure team focused, team practice, very little individual work at all. This Kidd regime is a lot like Karls regime, which has proven to be a winning style in this league for well over 30 years now.

In the end, I think the positive outweighs the negative by a large portion.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,140

Post#20 » by JimmyTheKid » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:21 pm

ampd wrote:
BallinBucks420 wrote:its like kidd has this magic spell over players.. everyone plays their tail off for him and he gets players to play better then they really are.. there very comfotorable with him and its awesome to watch.. i think a lot has to do with the staff hes asssembled.. he lets them do a lot of things witch in turn keeps everyone involved.. he even has joe prunt our offensive coach design the plays for in game situtation and out of bounds plays or game winners

Whoever designs our in bounds plays does a damn fine job of it.

Its weird seeing guys get open shots off out of bounds plays. Weird because I just haven't seen it happen over the last decade or more.

Kidd has exceeded all expectations to this point. If he can get better talent to "buy in" the way he's getting our mediocre talent to do so, we absolutely hit a home run with our head coaching position.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks