ImageImage

khris Middleton available?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Insomniaac
Rookie
And1: 994

Re: khris Middleton available? 

Post#361 » by Insomniaac » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:37 pm

Rendei wrote:Did the Bucks get handed some exception that allows them to hand out multiple 5 year contracts? I didn't hear anything about that.

And I don't really think that Middleton is worth 4/60, I just think that's what it'd take for a team to pry him away. And it honestly wouldn't totally shock me if some team was willing to do it.

I'm no CBA expert but I don't think theres a limit on the number of 5-year bird rights contracts you can give out. You can only have one designated player, but that's an extension you give a player before the last year of his rookie scale contract.

I'm still holding out hope for something like 4/48 but the impending cap rise and talent drought at SG has me worried.
Cooleyo47
Rookie
And1: 523

Post#362 » by Cooleyo47 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:46 pm

Middleton's value around the league is hard to peg... Is he still flying under the radar or will some team overvalue him?
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,785

Post#363 » by blazza18 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:17 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:new worse case salary situation

5/75 middleton
5/100 mcw
5/100 giannis

that's 55 mil per year tied up in giannis, middleton, and mcw 2 years from now. that leaves us another 55 mil to spend before we get into tax land.

If all three of those guys earn those contracts, I have no problem with it. Would mean they're all stars.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,762

Post#364 » by AussieBuck » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:20 pm

You can only have one 5 year contract on your team right?
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,105

Post#365 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:23 pm

AussieBuck wrote:You can only have one 5 year contract on your team right?

Thought it was only one five year max contract, but I could be mistaken.
Besmirched
Freshman
And1: 67

Post#366 » by Besmirched » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:33 pm

Personally I would be surprised if anyone offered Middleton the max

Its nice to actually have a player that teams want for once though
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,087

Post#367 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:33 pm

blazza18 wrote:

5/75 middleton
5/100 mcw
5/100 giannis

that's 55 mil per year tied up in giannis, middleton, and mcw 2 years from now. that leaves us another 55 mil to spend before we get into tax land.

If all three of those guys earn those contracts, I have no problem with it. Would mean they're all stars.

but knight wouldn't have been? :lol:
blazza18
RealGM

Post#368 » by blazza18 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:45 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
blazza18 wrote:

5/75 middleton
5/100 mcw
5/100 giannis

What does Knight have to do with your worst case scenario ? He's on another team. Could not care less about him anymore.
JustinSane
Bench Warmer
And1: 62

Post#369 » by JustinSane » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:50 pm

I think Middleton should and probably will get a max contract offer. Anything less is a waste of time - Bucks just match it. But Middleton is an advanced stats monster. Terrific shooter, terrific defensively, excellent basketball IQ. Of course, I'm a biased Pistons fan. To quote me from the thread on this board, day of the Jennings for Knight and Middleton trade:

JustinSane wrote:Pistons fan here. Knight is a good back-up point guard - good defensively, inefficient offensively - and a very hard worker. You'll like him if you don't expect to much.

I'm not happy about the Pistons losing Middleton too though. He'll be at least useful, and could be quite a bit better than that. I think his inclusion makes this trade a clear win for you guys. Not overly happy with this trade.

Looking at the FA list this offseason, I don't see anyone who would help the Pistons (assuming Monroe re-signs) as much as Middleton, so I'm personally hoping they do extend a max offer.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,900

Post#370 » by ampd » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:55 pm

4/64 for Middleton?

If we match something like that by god I hope we're right.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#371 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:56 pm

blazza18 wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
blazza18 wrote:

What does Knight have to do with your worst case scenario ? He's on another team. Could not care less about him anymore.

i find it funny that the expectation is now that mcw might replace knights production and NOT end up costing us 20-30 million more than knight ever would have for a similar level of play. to assume he might only get offered a max if hes an allstar is wishful thinking.

ditto middleton.
ditto giannis.
and ditto parker eventually.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,900

Post#372 » by ampd » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:02 pm

Just pencil Giannis in for the max now, its not even worth talking about. He'll still be so young when he gets his first big contract that some of the guys coming out of college will still be older than him. He's already shown enough promise that someone will offer it to him.
blazza18
RealGM

Post#373 » by blazza18 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:13 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:i find it funny that the expectation is now that mcw might replace knights production and end up costing us 20-30 million more than knight ever would have for a similar level of play. to assume he might only get offered a max if hes an allstar is wishful thinking.

ditto middleton.
ditto giannis.
'and ditto parker eventually.

I don't think people expect that from MCW do they ? People hope he improves under Kidd.

Anyway. All I was saying is if those 4 players you mentioned warrant getting paid that much, it really isn't a worst cases scenario for us as a franchise. We'd be title contenders year in year out. Believing all that will happen is an entirely different discussion though.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#374 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:42 pm

blazza18 wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:i find it funny that the expectation is now that mcw might replace knights production and end up costing us 20-30 million more than knight ever would have for a similar level of play. to assume he might only get offered a max if hes an allstar is wishful thinking.

ditto middleton.
ditto giannis.

I don't think people expect that from MCW do they ? People hope he improves under Kidd.

Anyway. All I was saying is if those 4 players you mentioned warrant getting paid that much, it really isn't a worst cases scenario for us as a franchise. We'd be title contenders year in year out. Believing all that will happen is an entirely different discussion though.

you guys all talk about this big grandiose championship scheme but the much more likely scenario is that in two years...

weve got 2 guys about to get offered maxs at 20 mil each under the new cap who haven't played in an allstar game
plus middleton making his full roll off the old cap who hasn't played in an allstar game
and Jabari lined up for the following year who most likely hasn't played in an allstar game either

all 4 together on a 50 winnish team that's hardly perceived by the league as the next team to make a spurs run mostly because of their ages.

the news flash is young guys usually get paid before their first allstar game and keeping a team intact until they WIN is usually why they start to be considered for that honor in the first place. at some point were gonna have to just pay these dudes and see what it is weve got. that will happen after they get paid... not before.
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#375 » by H2tObes » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:56 pm

Wow, pretty much every non Bucks fan in here pretty much said they wanna throw the max at Middleton. ****
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#376 » by mattg » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:12 pm

If someone wants to pay Middleton the max then they can have him. Just find another shooter who can defend in the mid first, they're always there and won't cost 16m per or whatever.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#377 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:17 pm

Middleton's starting to prove he's more than just a shooter.

It was one thing when he looked like an elite 3&D guy. But he's showing some passing ability, that he can rebound at a nice level for a guard, and most importantly that he can score in a variety of ways. I wish someone would cut together his FG from last night. He's scoring in the post, off runners, on pull ups and in transition. We're going to see more of this as the rest of the season unfolds.

A guy who can score 20 efficiently while playing excellent defense is a max player. If he's showing that consistently in April we should all be thrilled to pay him.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#378 » by Newz » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:18 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Middleton's starting to prove he's more than just a shooter.

It was one thing when he looked like an elite 3&D guy. But he's showing some passing ability, that he can rebound at a nice level for a guard, and most importantly that he can score in a variety of ways. I wish someone would cut together his FG from last night. He's scoring in the post, off runners, on pull ups and in transition. We're going to see more of this as the rest of the season unfolds.

A guy who can score 20 efficiently while playing excellent defense is a max player. If he's showing that consistently in April we should all be thrilled to pay him.

Man...

You love you some Khris Middleton.
Insomniaac
Rookie
And1: 994

Post#379 » by Insomniaac » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:20 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
blazza18 wrote:

ditto middleton.
ditto giannis.

you guys all talk about this big grandiose championship scheme but the much more likely scenario is that in two years...

weve got 2 guys about to get offered maxs at 20 mil each under the new cap who haven't played in an allstar game
plus middleton making his full roll off the old cap who hasn't played in an allstar game
and Jabari lined up for the following year who most likely hasn't played in an allstar game either

all 4 together on a 50 winnish team that's hardly perceived by the league as the next team to make a spurs run mostly because of their ages.

the news flash is young guys usually get paid before their first allstar game and keeping a team intact until they WIN is usually why they start to be considered for that honor in the first place. at some point were gonna have to just pay these dudes and see what it is weve got. that will happen after they get paid... not before.

I agree that none of them need to be all-stars to get max deals but that's largely irrelevant. Three or four years in the league is a decent amount of time to judge a player, it's not like we'd just be throwing money at them blindly. MCW would have to show a hell of a lot of improvement to get anywhere near that sort of contract, enough so that even you might be on board. If this trade showed us anything it's that our FO isn't going to pay players unless they think they're absolutely worth it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#380 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:21 pm

Newz wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Middleton's starting to prove he's more than just a shooter.

Man...

You love you some Khris Middleton.

That's probably the kiss of death for his career.

:(

Return to Milwaukee Bucks