ImageImage

1250 WSSP - Bucks Talk

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,743

Re: 1250 WSSP - Bucks Talk 

Post#221 » by DanoMac » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:47 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:I pulled up the podcast where according to the title, Homer was going to talk about the Bucks trade. Homer is a really smart and insightful guy.

I talked to Homer last year at Upper 90 during the draft or lottery, one of em, and he told me that Giannis was incredibly overrated and would never amount to anything more than a 8th or 9th man. I told myself right then and there I'd never listen to him again.
Sky High
Sixth Man
And1: 280

Post#222 » by Sky High » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:49 pm

Matches Malone wrote:I can't stand listening to Tim Allen talk about the Bucks. The guy compares baseball to basketball way too much. He thinks you should be in it every year and that you should never be rebuilding. It's obnoxious.

Yeah, he's hard to listen to right now. He does not understand the NBA at all. :banghead:
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,057

Post#223 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:51 pm

DanoMac wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:I pulled up the podcast where according to the title, Homer was going to talk about the Bucks trade. Homer is a really smart and insightful guy.

I talked to Homer last year at Upper 90 during the draft or lottery, one of em, and he told me that Giannis was incredibly overrated and would never amount to anything more than a 8th or 9th man. I told myself right then and there I'd never listen to him again.

It isn't that Homer is stupid. Homer just never cared about the Bucks and didn't watch them.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#224 » by Newz » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:23 pm

theFireBlanket wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:I tuned in immediately after the trade broke. Gary and Ramie's reactions were embarrassing for them. First they were all, "what the hell are the Bucks doing." When ramie went over the names in the trade Gery emphatically said "WHO!!?" after Ramie said MCW. How on earth are you a sports talk show host and not know that he won Rookie of the Year. Asked where he went to school. Ramie was all, "gimme a second, I'm looking it up." Called MCW a rookie. Started talking about how Knight was far and away our best player. Then started using draft positions amongst MCW (11 overall) and Knight (8 overall) as a means to criticize the trade. It was so sad.

After the break I'm sure they looked at Twitter and saw everyone lauding the Bucks for the trade and they did a 180 and talked about what a great fit it was for MCW. As I said, i was embarrassed for them.

Sounds like Gery was upset to find out that his sources couldn't get him the information before it came out. After all he told us that everything was quiet on the Buck's end and he's the resident insider, always breaking the news. :wink:

To be fair to Gery (and I do find it amusing that he changed his opinion mid-broadcast about the trade)... just about everyone thought it was quiet. No one had heard or reported anything about Knight, the Lakers' pick or MCW being moved.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,936

Post#225 » by theFireBlanket » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:28 pm

Newz wrote:To be fair to Gery (and I do find it amusing that he changed his opinion mid-broadcast about the trade)... just about everyone thought it was quiet. No one had heard or reported anything about Knight, the Lakers' pick or MCW being moved.

Right no one knew but Gery is pretty full of himself when it comes to his insider status and in assuring what he knows to be what's going on, no doubt about it.

It's telling that Hammond has publicly admitted that he's a source of comedy for the FO. I'm sorry any of you are partial to Gery because he's been around for so long. He fishes out good information but I really wish they'd replace him with a dude like Frank Madden. They can't get FM but someone like him would change the game of their reporting.

I'd actually consider listening to WSSP on a regular basis for Bucks stuff if they had someone respectable doing his job.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#226 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:45 pm

DanoMac wrote:

I have no respect for Homer's Bucks opinions anymore. Not sure if I really ever have I guess. We emailed regularly last year after the billboard went up and he blasted all of us and told me how terrible we were as fans, etc and we had no business pulling these stunts and embarrassing hard working people doing the best they can.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,057

Post#227 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:59 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
I have no respect for Homer's Bucks opinions anymore. Not sure if I really ever have I guess. We emailed regularly last year after the billboard went up and he blasted all of us and told me how terrible we were as fans, etc and we had no business pulling these stunts and embarrassing hard working people doing the best they can.

I'm speculating, but I don't think Homer appreciated the way SOB highlighted his public critiques of Kohl because he then caught flack from Steinmiller, etc. Other than Sparky, Homer (and Mitch) was the only local media guy with the guts to blast Kohl back in the day. Frankly part of the SOB momentum this board started in May of 2013 was because Homer and Thunder went on that three day anti-Kohl rant. I mean they were brutal (but honest) in what they both said. Then this board really feed off those couple shows. The composite character "Duke" then joined the forum the next week to help explain the thinking of the front office back then because the FO was worried about a brush fire turning into something larger. You couldn't offer legit critique of the team without getting backlash that you were a bad fan.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#228 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:32 pm

theFireBlanket wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:I tuned in immediately after the trade broke. Gary and Ramie's reactions were embarrassing for them. First they were all, "what the hell are the Bucks doing." When ramie went over the names in the trade Gery emphatically said "WHO!!?" after Ramie said MCW. How on earth are you a sports talk show host and not know that he won Rookie of the Year. Asked where he went to school. Ramie was all, "gimme a second, I'm looking it up." Called MCW a rookie. Started talking about how Knight was far and away our best player. Then started using draft positions amongst MCW (11 overall) and Knight (8 overall) as a means to criticize the trade. It was so sad.

After the break I'm sure they looked at Twitter and saw everyone lauding the Bucks for the trade and they did a 180 and talked about what a great fit it was for MCW. As I said, i was embarrassed for them.

Sounds like Gery was upset to find out that his sources couldn't get him the information before it came out. After all he told us that everything was quiet on the Buck's end and he's the resident insider, always breaking the news. :wink:

Sorry. It was Gary not Gery, and the "who?" was an "I don't know who that is" type who, not an "I'm surprised" type who.
Do it for Chuck
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,936

Post#229 » by theFireBlanket » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:34 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Sorry. It was Gary not Gery, and the "who?" was an "I don't know who that is" type who, not an "I'm surprised" type who.

Ellerson has no business talking about basketball.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,326

Post#230 » by El Duderino » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:34 am

paulpressey25 wrote:I like the Big Show guys. For all the crap we give them on their depth of Bucks knowledge (and they deserve it) they went WALL TO WALL Bucks today. I checked out WAUK and Big920 at various points and after initially talking the trade, both stations comfortably settled back into talking at length about Tramon Williams and Jonathan Lucroy. So I kept my dial on WSSP (or 105.7 the Fan). They cater to my desire to have Bucks talk.

The bolded part is just where i can't share your allegiance and it's not only with WSSP, it's pretty much all local sports talk radio.

If you are a talk radio host, your number one job requirement should be to be as knowledgeable about sports as possible. If a local host, to be as especially knowledgeable about all sports teams of importance in the state, college and pro.

It's pure laziness and pathetic to be hosting a sports talk show and only have remedial knowledge of not just the whole major sports leagues, but even worse of the local teams of interest. It's their friggin job to know a lot more than your typical average fan calling in, yet most hosts in this market don't, whether it's the Bucks, Brewers, and college basketball/football.

Only when it comes to the Packers and the NFL does it feel like hosts in this market aren't largely clueless beyond remedial knowledge and sometimes they lack even remedial knowledge. It should be embarrassing to people running these stations that they keep employed so many incompetent hosts beyond Packer related talk, regardless if the state is so Packers crazy. My only possible explanation for this is that the station managers themselves are also as lacking in in depth knowledge of other non-Packers sports, thus they don't notice when listening just how bad their hosts are because i'd go on mass firing spree if i owned those stations. Nothing else makes sense.

But hey PP, i'm by no means telling you to stop listening. For me though, none of these local sports talk station will get my time listening again so long as their hosts are to damn lazy to become more competent at their jobs. To watch more games among all sports and study up on the other stuff available online to increase their knowledge base.

Simply talking about subjects of interest to me isn't close to being enough, just like i won't watch a TV show on a subject that interests me if the show is badly put together. Why bother? It's 2015, not 1995. The net is loaded with much higher quality avenues to get sports information, be it local teams or national sports. No longer do i need to waste my time listening to bad/terribly lazy/poorly informed sports radio hosts for any sports engagement besides the newspapers. Maybe one day we'll get a station in this market worth listening to by them hiring and/or demanding current hosts actually take their jobs seriously enough to know more than just about the Packers and this comes from a huge Packers fan.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#231 » by bigkurty » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:39 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:

I'm speculating, but I don't think Homer appreciated the way SOB highlighted his public critiques of Kohl because he then caught flack from Steinmiller, etc. Other than Sparky, Homer (and Mitch) was the only local media guy with the guts to blast Kohl back in the day. Frankly part of the SOB momentum this board started in May of 2013 was because Homer and Thunder went on that three day anti-Kohl rant. I mean they were brutal (but honest) in what they both said. Then this board really feed off those couple shows. The composite character "Duke" then joined the forum the next week to help explain the thinking of the front office back then because the FO was worried about a brush fire turning into something larger. You couldn't offer legit critique of the team without getting backlash that you were a bad fan.

Are you saying Duke was a made up puppet?
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,653

Post#232 » by Matches Malone » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:42 pm

Jesus Bill Michaels is god awful. Holy cow. How does he have a job? Seriously. Someone tell me. Please.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,660

1250 WSSP - Bucks Talk 

Post#233 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:47 pm

Matches Malone wrote:Jesus Bill Michaels is god awful. Holy cow. How does he have a job? Seriously. Someone tell me. Please.

He is right about free speech though. A lot of people have a misunderstanding of what free speech actually is.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
DanoMac
General Manager

Post#234 » by DanoMac » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:09 pm

Hammond is on right now. Something's off. He sounds depressed or something

Preoccupied is probably a better word. Maybe he's watching Energee
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#235 » by Matches Malone » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:18 pm

DanoMac wrote:Hammond is on right now. Something's off. He sounds depressed or something

Preoccupied is probably a better word. Maybe he's watching Energee

Bucks Grand Dancers :eyebrows:

DanoMac
General Manager

Post#236 » by DanoMac » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:42 pm

Wickett could use some tips from Bill Michaels on how to interview someone. There is nothing more cringing/annoying than Wickett bringing on a guest, asking them a question, and interrupting them with a joke 2-3 seconds into their answer. Happens multiple times during each interview, just talking over them in such an obnoxiously loud manner. Listening to Bill Michaels interviewing Tim Kurkijan right now is such a breath of fresh air compared to Wickett's style. I'm absolutely shocked guys like Tyler Dunne or Ben Worguell haven't hung up on Wickett before.
FireStreetlifeNow
Pro Prospect
And1: 116
Location: At a brewpub somewhere in SE Wisconsin or SW Michigan

Post#237 » by FireStreetlifeNow » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:36 pm

DanoMac wrote:Wickett could use some tips from Bill Michaels on how to interview someone. There is nothing more cringing/annoying than Wickett bringing on a guest, asking them a question, and interrupting them with a joke 2-3 seconds into their answer. Happens multiple times during each interview, just talking over them in such an obnoxiously loud manner. Listening to Bill Michaels interviewing Tim Kurkijan right now is such a breath of fresh air compared to Wickett's style. I'm absolutely shocked guys like Tyler Dunne or Ben Worguell haven't hung up on Wickett before.

I've noticed that about Wickett too. I don't listen to the morning show often but will listen if they are talking Bucks when (if) I turn it on. Wickett always makes the same types of annoying jokes with Gery Woefull, Tyler Dunne, etc and eats up half the segment doing so. Plus he'll repeat his joke at least once, if not twice, like we missed it the first time.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Post#238 » by trwi7 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:26 pm

Riveting discussion going on right now about which TV shows you are watching that others should be watching since "it's a slow time in sports."
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,326

Post#239 » by El Duderino » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:49 pm

FireStreetlifeNow wrote:
DanoMac wrote:Wickett could use some tips from Bill Michaels on how to interview someone. There is nothing more cringing/annoying than Wickett bringing on a guest, asking them a question, and interrupting them with a joke 2-3 seconds into their answer. Happens multiple times during each interview, just talking over them in such an obnoxiously loud manner. Listening to Bill Michaels interviewing Tim Kurkijan right now is such a breath of fresh air compared to Wickett's style. I'm absolutely shocked guys like Tyler Dunne or Ben Worguell haven't hung up on Wickett before.

I've noticed that about Wickett too. I don't listen to the morning show often but will listen if they are talking Bucks when (if) I turn it on. Wickett always makes the same types of annoying jokes with Gery Woefull, Tyler Dunne, etc and eats up half the segment doing so. Plus he'll repeat his joke at least once, if not twice, like we missed it the first time.

He's absolutely brutal and have no idea how his boss/bosses can listen to that show and keep him employed. If i owned that station, i'd fire him immediately. Yet another reason why i have given up on local talk radio. What a wasteland of low talent and lazy hosts.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#240 » by Matches Malone » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:52 pm

I hate all of the people on every show just about lmao. Wickett does suck, but I have my gripes with Michaels too. Like how when he's interviewing someone and you can hear him typing on his computer while the other person is speaking.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks