ImageImage

Question from a Sixers Fan

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Phil_E_Moose
Sophomore
And1: 11

Question from a Sixers Fan 

Post#1 » by Phil_E_Moose » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:47 pm

I was just wondering, how the hell did you guys finish with the worst record in the league last year. Isn't this year's team pretty much the exact same as last year's? The only significant piece you really added (at least that I can see) is Jabari, right? And he hasn't been playing (which is an absolute bummer, I really like his game). Is Jason Kidd that much of an upgrade?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,047

Re: Question from a Sixers Fan 

Post#2 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:50 pm

Phil_E_Moose wrote:I was just wondering, how the hell did you guys finish with the worst record in the league last year. Isn't this year's team pretty much the exact same as last year's? The only significant piece you really added (at least that I can see) is Jabari, right? And he hasn't been playing (which is an absolute bummer, I really like his game). Is Jason Kidd that much of an upgrade?

Jared Dudley was a pretty monster addition, but yes, Kidd* really is that much of an upgrade.

*ETA: Should have said Kidd and his staff.
yoshii8
Sixth Man
And1: 276

Post#3 » by yoshii8 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:54 pm

I also think Giannis, Henson and Middleton have all taken a big step forward. Jared Bayless has been a nice addition. But yes Jason Kidd and his staff have been nothing short of amazing
Flap Jackson
Bench Warmer
And1: 698

Post#4 » by Flap Jackson » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:54 pm

I think you have to consider that Knight, Henson, Middleton, and Giannis now have one more year of experience as well. Those guys are so young. Often missed by outsiders of this team is that young players do, in fact, improve. Kidd has been huge in guiding their development, but it is a huge factor.
Phil_E_Moose
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#5 » by Phil_E_Moose » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:55 pm

Can't tell if you're joking about Dudley. Didn't LAC just pay a first to get rid of him?
yoshii8
Sixth Man
And1: 276

Post#6 » by yoshii8 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:56 pm

He's serious about Dudley. He's been great.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,047

Post#7 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:57 pm

Phil_E_Moose wrote:Can't tell if you're joking about Dudley. Didn't LAC just pay a first to get rid of him?

Not joking. He was bad in LAC, been amazing in Milwaukee.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#8 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:59 pm

Yeah, Giannis and Middleton have taken huge steps forward. Giannis is now playing at an all star level. His stats don't always show PPGZ but he's many nights the best all around player on the floor.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#9 » by Badgerlander » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:00 pm

historic levels of bad defense last year, this year #2
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,586

Post#10 » by JayMKE » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:01 pm

Larry Drew is beyond awful as a coach, injuries, surly vets not content with their roles, Sanders suspended, Mayo fat, and then we had improvements for our young players/
FREE GIANNIS
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#11 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:01 pm

Yep, Duds has been a huge factor for us this season on both sides of the court and Kidd has everybody playing a defense suited to team length with a ton of effort. The teams success can be summed up in a couple of team stats. 2nd in team defense. 5th in team FG%. 3rd in team 3P%.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#12 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:01 pm

All of the points above, and also just a freshness with the organization hasn't hurt.
Outlander
Junior
And1: 68

Post#13 » by Outlander » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:02 pm

Before the season started it would be a joke about Dudley but based on actual results yes he has been a monster addition up to this point. I do also believe guys like Giannis and Middleton as well as even Henson have gotten better. Really, that is what is supposed to happen if you draft or trade for young players. If you do it right then those players get better and the overall team will get better. At some point a team like the Bucks or the Sixers have to get better or else the rebuilding was a failure. It is just that the Bucks are ahead of schedule, which makes me happy but others not so much because they wanted more young players to develop. If you have a star you also tend to get better quicker and based on a small sample the last couple of week the Bucks might have one.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#14 » by machu46 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:04 pm

Phil_E_Moose wrote:Can't tell if you're joking about Dudley. Didn't LAC just pay a first to get rid of him?

If you believe in Real Plus-Minus, Dudley is the 9th ranked SG in the league this year lol. He was injured the entire year last year and apparently was getting no better, so LAC traded him. Our medical staff gave him a new workout regime to try and it apparently completely fixed his knee. He's shooting over 44% from 3 this year with a 62% TS%. He's been outstanding.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Flap Jackson
Bench Warmer
And1: 698

Post#15 » by Flap Jackson » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:05 pm

JayMKE wrote:Larry Drew is beyond awful as a coach, injuries, surly vets not content with their roles, Sanders suspended, Mayo fat, and then we had improvements for our young players/

Yes, Mayo is an addition too, has contributed to many of the wins. Last year he was absentee.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#16 » by Treebeard » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:06 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

Not joking. He was bad in LAC, been amazing in Milwaukee.

Nice article in Grantland about Dudley, Giannis, & Middleton - summarizes some of the really nice developments that have occurred.
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/in-praise-of-giannis-jared-dudley-and-khris-middleton-the-swiss-army-knives-of-the-milwaukee-bucks/

When Dudley got here, there was a general agreement the Clips pick was the attraction. For many, he was just another retread vet. Over time, he's grown on almost everyone.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#17 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:08 pm

Sixers fans shouldn't worry. Next year our board will have collective anxiety and envy over things if Embiid takes the court healthy for you guys.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,738

Post#18 » by emunney » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:11 pm

Mayo has also been giving us a lot more this year than last year. By far the biggest difference is the way we play, i.e. Kidd and staff, but we've also enjoyed major improvement from the young guys. So yeah, coaching, kids growing up faster than anticipated, shooting and team play from Dudley, Bayless, Mayo.

I loved that clip somebody had in a recent article where Dudley was standing the corner defending somebody but verbally conducting the entire defense.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,738

Post#19 » by emunney » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:14 pm

I think it's interesting that only one person has called out Knight by name, but he is a ton better than last year even if you think he's bad now.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#20 » by Newz » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:14 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Sixers fans shouldn't worry. Next year our board will have collective anxiety and envy over things if Embiid takes the court healthy for you guys.

Isn't Embiid like 500 pounds now?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks