ImageImage

OT: Final Four, UW vs. UK, MSU vs. Duke

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,772

Re: OT: Final Four, UW vs. UK, MSU vs. Duke 

Post#41 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:14 am

Kentucky is very good but it's not like they won every game by 30+ points. they were taken tot the wire several times and none of those times was against a team as good as UW. I didn't think UW could win a title with this defense but the way their offense has been clicking this tournament they just might.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,812

Post#42 » by Prez » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:34 am

We're gonna have to shoot the lights out to win...much like against Arizona...and I just don't see that happening. It's unfair to expect Sam and Frank to outdo what they just did last game, especially Sam, but they probably have to. And even then it might not be enough. UK is gonna have to help us out a bit with an off game.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#43 » by Nebula1 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:47 pm

Milbuck wrote:We're gonna have to shoot the lights out to win...much like against Arizona...and I just don't see that happening. It's unfair to expect Sam and Frank to outdo what they just did last game, especially Sam, but they probably have to. And even then it might not be enough. UK is gonna have to help us out a bit with an off game.

That's what it takes to win the title. Don't forget Kentucky has to execute as well and Wisconsin can punish them on turnovers.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#44 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:51 pm

You guys may have seen the Grantland piece on the final 4

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ncaa- ... e-winslow/

Lot's of UW in here.

They try to compare Dekker to different pros. Everyone seems to be missing the best resemblance not only in game but physical appearance IMO, Keith Van Horn.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,045

Post#45 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:54 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:You guys may have seen the Grantland piece on the final 4

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ncaa- ... e-winslow/

Lot's of UW in here.

They try to compare Dekker to different pros. Everyone seems to be missing the best resemblance not only in game but physical appearance IMO, Keith Van Horn.

Eh. Sam is so much more athletic than KVH.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#46 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:55 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Eh. Sam is so much more athletic than KVH.

People remember plodding KVH in his later years where he didn't want to play NBA basketball. At Utah he was pretty damn mobile.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,045

Post#47 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:01 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:

People remember plodding KVH in his later years where he didn't want to play NBA basketball. At Utah he was pretty damn mobile.

He was one of my favorite college athletes. I definitely remember his game, and right, he was mobile. But where KVH was mobile for his size, I'd consider Sam explosive. There just aren't many guys his size who can move like he can. Any comparison of his should start with the elite (or near-elite) level athleticism 6'9" guys.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,190

Post#48 » by skones » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:34 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

He was one of my favorite college athletes. I definitely remember his game, and right, he was mobile. But where KVH was mobile for his size, I'd consider Sam explosive. There just aren't many guys his size who can move like he can. Any comparison of his should start with the elite (or near-elite) level athleticism 6'9" guys.

It's kind of crazy to think, that in a game against Kentucky, McDonalds All American Kentucky, that Wisconsin has the most explosive guy on the wing (and possibly the floor) and he's the key to the game. Kentucky doesn't have a guy to match up with him.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,018

Post#49 » by humanrefutation » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:35 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:His constant **** on Bo and the Badgers style of basketball has gotten so old, and it dates back over a year now. The buzzcuts thing, the straw man arguments, all of it.

Yeah, it's gotten a little tiresome. For what it's worth, though, he's been effusive in his praise for the team this season.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#50 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:29 pm

I've always loved Bo and been very happy with his results here, even in those years where they'd flame out in rounds 1-3.

That said, unlike past Bo teams, there are three legit NBA players on the current front line. He's never had this type of NBA talent. The closest I can recall was the 2005 team with Butch, Stiemsma and Tucker but I think Kaminsky, Dekker and Hayes are much better players who all can have more remarkable careers in the NBA than the 2005 guys.

Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#51 » by Licensed to Il » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:46 pm

Dekker is a more explosive athlete than young KVH. KVH had better skills. He was super crafty with the ball, and a better shooter. Dekker is physically stronger. KVH had longer socks. Both have pretty dopey looks on their faces at all times.

KVH came in to the league in a more physical era. In retrospect his career peaked in college, or maybe his rookie year. IF Dekker can consistently knock down the 3 (35-40%) he has a chance to have a really good NBA career. Almost any pro coach would find minutes for Sam if he can get that 3pt% up.

The main difference, is that KVH entered the league and was expected to be a featured guy, who you could run the offense through. I don't think anyone will ever expect that of Sam. He will come in with Chandler Parson like expectations, a lanky athlete with a solid college pedigree who has some versatility and savvy.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#52 » by Bernman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:03 pm

I compared Dekker to KVH out of high school. I think he's both evolved and devolved well beyond that comparison. He's built muscle and gotten significantly more athletic, so a better slasher, finisher around the hoop, and defender. But his jump shot has went south since he was a freshman. That's in part due to the muscle development and vertical growth. It might be returning some now with new muscle memory. Time will tell. I think he gets most of the way back, but not all the way, as it's just tougher to shoot as you get taller, longer, and more muscular. I think the best comparison for him in the NBA right now is Rudy Gay.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Bucks4Milwaukee
Pro Prospect
And1: 192

Post#53 » by Bucks4Milwaukee » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:24 pm

Anyone see the video of uk vs ND.. Score was 19-17... Kentucky missed the shot but was given the bucket to take it to 21..??
Bucks fan since day one. Go Bucks!

Newz wrote:
Bucks4Milwaukee wrote:Glad youre not in the front office. We will be contending next year if all stay healthy.

:rofl:
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#54 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:37 pm

Bucks4Milwaukee wrote:Anyone see the video of uk vs ND.. Score was 19-17... Kentucky missed the shot but was given the bucket to take it to 21..??

The troll guy that posted it cut the video off before the CBS score dropped back down to 19. I remember watching it in the game.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#55 » by El Duderino » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:10 pm

Bernman wrote:I compared Dekker to KVH out of high school. I think he's both evolved and devolved well beyond that comparison. He's built muscle and gotten significantly more athletic, so a better slasher, finisher around the hoop, and defender. But his jump shot has went south since he was a freshman. That's in part due to the muscle development and vertical growth. It might be returning some now with new muscle memory. Time will tell. I think he gets most of the way back, but not all the way, as it's just tougher to shoot as you get taller, longer, and more muscular. I think the best comparison for him in the NBA right now is Rudy Gay.

I don't know if getting bigger explains Dekker's erratic jump shooting. Plenty of college kids get bigger and not only don't regress shooting wise, they improve. Look at his free throw shooting, 69/68/71 percent so far as a Badger.

I wonder sometimes if the high arc on his three point shot hurts his consistency? Tougher to get soft bounces here and there, along with accuracy. Watching basketball both at the college and NBA level, not that many of the better shooters have as a high arcing shot as Dekker has.

Maybe i'm making to big of a deal out of that, but even early in Dekker's time at Wisconsin, i was surprised by how much arc he got on his jumpers. Sam is the polar opposite of Middleton who shoots as flat of a jumper as you'll see, not that a flat shot is needed to be a good shooter.
Sky Bucks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,357

Post#56 » by Sky Bucks » Wed Apr 1, 2015 1:28 am

The more I hear and read about the game, the more excited I get for it. Here's to Wisco beating Kentucky! :beer:
#Make'em Believe On Wisconsin
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#57 » by El Duderino » Wed Apr 1, 2015 6:02 am

Sky Bucks wrote:The more I hear and read about the game, the more excited I get for it. Here's to Wisco beating Kentucky! :beer:

While i obviously want the Badgers to win, if they do lose, i sure hope it's by say 5 to 8 points than yet another really late gut punch loss to both that team and sports fans in this state. After the last seconds loss last year to Kentucky and the Packers meltdown, i want no part of feeling sick to my stomach yet again via another very late in game loss.

It's so much easier to take when the team you cheer hard for simply gets outplayed vs a super close game loss or even worse when the team coughs up a lead late. Doesn't help either when you suffer from acid reflux as i do and games like that can leave even my back and armpits burning to a point that eating a whole bottle of Tums would barely help.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,566

Post#58 » by Profound23 » Wed Apr 1, 2015 11:27 am

I don't understand how you can live in Wisconsin and be so against every Wisconsin sports team. Some guys at work couldn't wait for the Packers to lose and now feel the same way about Wisconsin. These aren't Illinois, Michigan, or Minnesota. They are guys who have no team and just hate Wisconsin teams.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,656

OT: Final Four, UW vs. UK, MSU vs. Duke 

Post#59 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Apr 1, 2015 11:51 am

Profound23 wrote:I don't understand how you can live in Wisconsin and be so against every Wisconsin sports team. Some guys at work couldn't wait for the Packers to lose and now feel the same way about Wisconsin. These aren't Illinois, Michigan, or Minnesota. They are guys who have no team and just hate Wisconsin teams.

The worst guys, don't like seeing other people excited/happy.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#60 » by smauss » Wed Apr 1, 2015 12:37 pm

El Duderino wrote:
Bernman wrote:I compared Dekker to KVH out of high school. I think he's both evolved and devolved well beyond that comparison. He's built muscle and gotten significantly more athletic, so a better slasher, finisher around the hoop, and defender. But his jump shot has went south since he was a freshman. That's in part due to the muscle development and vertical growth. It might be returning some now with new muscle memory. Time will tell. I think he gets most of the way back, but not all the way, as it's just tougher to shoot as you get taller, longer, and more muscular. I think the best comparison for him in the NBA right now is Rudy Gay.

I don't know if getting bigger explains Dekker's erratic jump shooting. Plenty of college kids get bigger and not only don't regress shooting wise, they improve. Look at his free throw shooting, 69/68/71 percent so far as a Badger.

I wonder sometimes if the high arc on his three point shot hurts his consistency? Tougher to get soft bounces here and there, along with accuracy. Watching basketball both at the college and NBA level, not that many of the better shooters have as a high arcing shot as Dekker has.

Maybe i'm making to big of a deal out of that, but even early in Dekker's time at Wisconsin, i was surprised by how much arc he got on his jumpers. Sam is the polar opposite of Middleton who shoots as flat of a jumper as you'll see, not that a flat shot is needed to be a good shooter.

I woulda suspect the opposite Dude. Most tall high school kids would have the tendency to have flatter shots since they don't have to worry much about getting them blocked. When thinking back, I don't remember Sam's shot having unusual arc. It could be that either his dad or Bo suggested that he work on more arc for the college game but I don't know. Unless it is abnormally extreme, adding arc will tend to make your shot softer at the rim which tends to give you better rolls and outcomes than a flat shooter, certainly not worse. Its all about the finger tips. ;)
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator

Return to Milwaukee Bucks