OT: NCAABB Championship, UW vs. Duke

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,055

Re: OT: NCAABB Championship, UW vs. Duke 

Post#661 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:36 pm

Have It All wrote:And I don't think the win is tainted.

Whenever the national media is spending most of the day talking about officiating, including that specific call versus the "great shot so and so made to seal the game", your win is tainted.

It just is what it is and a shame it needed to happen that way because likely Duke wins that game regardless. I think this USA Today guy sums it up well.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/duke-wi ... ncaa-final

I agree with his 80% percentages....
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,798

Post#662 » by SirChurros » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:38 pm

trwi7 wrote:
Have It All wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
You're a Duke fan telling a group of Badgers fans what they can and can't complain about and why they really shouldn't be complaining at all and coming off really annoying while doing it.

Sounds like that's more your problem than it is mine.

I'm discussing the game and have been civil doing so.

Civility has nothing to do with it. Badger fans want to vent without being told the calls were even by a **** Duke fan. And bull **** that you've been civil. You've been a complete twat.

Here are quotes from you

Get over the officiating.

And Bo made himself look like a fool in the presser. The guy is a tremendous coach but I'm quickly losing any last bit of respect I had for him.

It's a call that probably gets missed more than once every game and your team benefitted from it once this year as well. You can talk all you want about how it didn't matter, because that game didn't impact anything, but that doesn't change it.

Just a lot of bitterness from Wisconsin fans today and it's a shame because you had a really likeable team that had a really great season. Sorry you feel the refs shafted you, but that's not what happened.

Working the refs during the game is part of coaching and I have no problems with guys doing it. Doing so in a post-game press conference just seems tacky and bitter.

So you can go **** yourself with your being civil garbage.

Classy fella, here.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#663 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:38 pm

I think a major reason the media is talking about the officiating is because of Bo's comments and to a lesser degree the players' response on twitter (especially Koenig's). Not saying the officiating wasn't bad (it was most of the tournament), just saying when one of the coaches takes shots in post game interviews, it's going to get a lot more coverage.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant

Post#664 » by SirChurros » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:40 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Have It All wrote:And I don't think the win is tainted.

Whenever the national media is spending most of the day talking about officiating, including that specific call versus the "great shot so and so made to seal the game", your win is tainted.

It just is what it is and a shame it needed to happen that way because likely Duke wins that game regardless. I think this USA Today guy sums it up well.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/duke-wi ... ncaa-final

I agree with his 80% percentages....

Disagree with the bolded. There's always an imediate, overblown reaction when a crucial call goes one way or another. That doesn't taint the fact that Duke was pretty much dead in the water and rallied back to win.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#665 » by trwi7 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:40 pm

Have It All wrote:Classy fella, here.

At least I'm not an asshat that's feigning civility.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#666 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:41 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:I think a major reason the media is talking about the officiating is because of Bo's comments and to a lesser degree the players' response on twitter (especially Koenig's). Not saying the officiating wasn't bad (it was most of the tournament), just saying when one of the coaches takes shots in post game interviews, it's going to get a lot more coverage.

Nah, this was a massive story during and right after the game before that press conference even went down. Heck guys like Bogut and Draymond Green were tweeting about it real time.

You just can't have a critical replay call get botched like that when 40 million viewers all saw the ball go off Winslow's hand.

SirChurros
Lead Assistant

Post#667 » by SirChurros » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:41 pm

trwi7 wrote:
Have It All wrote:Classy fella, here.

At least I'm not an asshat that's feigning civility.

You can think what'd you like.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant

Post#668 » by SirChurros » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:43 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:I think a major reason the media is talking about the officiating is because of Bo's comments and to a lesser degree the players' response on twitter (especially Koenig's). Not saying the officiating wasn't bad (it was most of the tournament), just saying when one of the coaches takes shots in post game interviews, it's going to get a lot more coverage.

Nah, this was a massive story during and right after the game before that press conference even went down. Heck guys like Bogut and Draymond Green were tweeting about it real time.

You just can't have a critical replay call get botched like that when 40 million viewers all saw the ball go off Winslow's hand.

I can't take those tweets seriously considering both of them immediately started spouting off about corruption.
Buckrageous
Starter
And1: 665

Post#669 » by Buckrageous » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:43 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Yeah I like the way baseball does it too. You can turn pro after high school. But if you don't you wait 3 years. In reality it would never happen in the NBA. From an NBA fan's perspective I'd rather they play college for at least a year, you get a better assessment of the talent than you do just from high school. From an NCAA fan perspective I hate one and done.

Then more guys would go pro straight from HS. I dont think not having Melo, Rose, ADavis, Durant, and Okafur at all would help college basketball. And really there are not that many "one and dones." It seems as though most guy projected to be "one and done" turn out not to be ready (that good) and come back anyway like the Harrison twins or Lebryan Nash.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#670 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:45 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:

If this win is "tainted" for Duke then Wisconsin's win over Kentucky is "tainted." For the record I don't think either are "tainted." Bad officiating sucks, but it is reality, in all sports.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#671 » by Nebula1 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:45 pm

I'm not afraid to say Bucky likely wins that game if those calls go the correct way since they led to points which led to more momentum when they should have been stops and momentum in the Badgers' favor.

I'm not making excuses, it just pains me terribly to see this squad lose like that. It hurts to see my family sad. It was not a good way to lose a championship.
Buckrageous
Starter
And1: 665

Post#672 » by Buckrageous » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:46 pm

Have It All wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

I can't take those tweets seriously considering both of them immediately started spouting off about corruption.

Thats funny and kind of paints you as naive. You dont take anyone seriously is they think the NCAA is corrupt? I have almost no response to that. Im assuming you think polititians are always telling the truth.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#673 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:46 pm

Have It All wrote:

But that's why it is tainted. The botched call gave guys like that (and everyone else) a reason to squawk.

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#674 » by trwi7 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:47 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

If this win is "tainted" for Duke then Wisconsin's win over Kentucky is "tainted." For the record I don't think either are "tainted." Bad officiating sucks, but it is reality, in all sports.

Because of the Hayes call? GTFO. No foul even called on Gasser getting smacked in the face, much less a flagrant. The charge on Gasser that wasn't close. The block on Kaminsky to give Kentucky a 3 point play and cut the lead to 1.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#675 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:49 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:If this win is "tainted" for Duke then Wisconsin's win over Kentucky is "tainted." For the record I don't think either are "tainted." Bad officiating sucks, but it is reality, in all sports.

No question Badger fans have to be sheepish on the shot clock no call from Saturday night. I wish we didn't have to defend that mess.

Just as I know the Duke fans wish they didn't have to defend this mess from last night either. It wasn't a clean win.

PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#676 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:49 pm

trwi7 wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

Because of the Hayes call? GTFO. No foul even called on Gasser getting smacked in the face, much less a flagrant. The charge on Gasser that wasn't close. The block on Kaminsky to give Kentucky a 3 point play and cut the lead to 1.

There were all sorts of bad calls in that game. Koenig going out of bounds and getting his own rebound for an easy layup in the 1st half was one. Then there was a Dekker missed layup foul call where no one even touched him. The worst though was the shot clock violation at the end of the game that gave Wisconsin momentum and cushion. There was just as much outrage online about those calls as last night. Like I said, bad officiating all around. Nothing that warrants the "tainted" label though. Tainted is used for blatant cheating like steroids and point shaving.
Rendei
Sixth Man
And1: 2,432

Post#677 » by Rendei » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:50 pm

This is why I can't stand college basketball. Winslow took a hot, steaming dump on the court, and the officials spent the entire second half trying to convince the country that his **** didn't stink. Would better officiating have changed the outcome? Yeah, the game would have probably come down to the wire and been a classic. No idea who would've won. I can't rewrite history.

It wasn't just the one game, though. The entire tournament was swimming in awful calls. I'll be glad to return to the NBA which has already been through its officiating scandal to clean things up.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant

Post#678 » by SirChurros » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:51 pm

Nebula1 wrote:I'm not afraid to say Bucky likely wins that game if those calls go the correct way since they led to points which led to more momentum when they should have been stops and momentum in the Badgers' favor.

I'm not making excuses, it just pains me terribly to see this squad lose like that. It hurts to see my family sad. It was not a good way to lose a championship.

What makes you think they would have gotten stops, though? It's impossible to know whether or not that call did anything to the final outcome of the game. Duke could have gotten a steal on the inbounds pass after the Winslow play and streaked down court for an easy dunk.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant

Post#679 » by SirChurros » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:53 pm

Buckrageous wrote:
Have It All wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

Thats funny and kind of paints you as naive. You dont take anyone seriously is they think the NCAA is corrupt? I have almost no response to that. Im assuming you think polititians are always telling the truth.

Where did I say any of this? Please don't put words in my mouth.

There is plenty of shady stuff that the NCAA does, but if you're immediate reaction to a botched review is corruption (which basically implies that the NCAA is altering outcomes of games), I think you're reaching just a wee bit.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#680 » by Nebula1 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 9:55 pm

Have It All wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:I'm not afraid to say Bucky likely wins that game if those calls go the correct way since they led to points which led to more momentum when they should have been stops and momentum in the Badgers' favor.

What makes you think they would have gotten stops, though? It's impossible to know whether or not that call did anything to the final outcome of the game. Duke could have gotten a steal on the inbounds pass after the Winslow play and streaked down court for an easy dunk.

Because they WERE stops that were reversed which led to points. Dude stepped out (obviously) and instead it's an and1 for Okafor. Dude tipped the ball out (obviously ON REPLAY) and it led to points. Those were both stops.

I don't mind discussing the game and I'm not putting it all on the refs, but at this point you feel like a troll.

Duke won. It's true. But it was not an even game and a great Wisconsin squad has to live with that loss the rest of their lives when they should be enjoying the win.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks