ImageImage

RealGM poster breaks arena naming via Google Maps; Harley Davidson Arena. Local media hack Wickett claims credit.

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Re: RealGM poster breaks arena naming via Google Maps; Harley Davidson Arena. Local media hack Wickett claims credit. 

Post#61 » by crkone » Wed Apr 8, 2015 5:46 pm

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
jabarinum1
Freshman
And1: 44

Re: Re: Re: Re: Google Maps scoops arena corporate naming = Harley Davidson Arena 

Post#62 » by jabarinum1 » Wed Apr 8, 2015 6:07 pm

chuckwood21 wrote:
crkone wrote:
jabarinum1 wrote:
This is 100% false. Where do you get this stuff from?

http://www.google.com/mapmaker?tab=MM

I have no idea.

The only way to add or edit without two step approval is if there isn't already a Google marker on the location. To change a current marker you will need to go through the channels mentioned above. In this instance there must not have been a marker on the selected location.

You can delete an existing place. This may require a google "trusted reviewer" or multiple reviewers, depending on the importance of the change. The snail mail thing just isn't accurate. It usually takes a day or two to go live on Google Maps/Earth. The Harley Davidson Arena thing has already been removed.

You can see this edit and who it was done by. It wasn't "confirmed by the true owners" as suggested. It was just done by some guy named "HotHam57" or whatever the guys name is.
salsa
Sophomore
And1: 51

Re: RealGM poster breaks arena naming via Google Maps; Harley Davidson Arena. Local media hack Wickett claims credit. 

Post#63 » by salsa » Wed Apr 8, 2015 6:49 pm

The snail mail thing is not made up. At a past job, the only way I could update a Google Places listing was by getting a pin number in the mail. It took two weeks for it to come. This was 3 years ago though.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Re: Google Maps scoops arena corporate naming = Harley Davidson Arena 

Post#64 » by chuckleslove » Wed Apr 8, 2015 6:49 pm

milwaukee bunks wrote:i dont think just anyone can edit without submitting to google first and then they review. my office location was showing in the wrong location and i had to submit a request to google that took them 3 weeks to approve and update.

Pretty much this, there was a business near me that went out of business temporarily but then rebranded and opened under a new name. I submitted to google 3 times and they denied it every time saying the information they had was up to date. I think they are both slow and very stringent in their requirements to update something since I gave them accurate info and they still wouldn't accept it.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
packfan414
Senior
And1: 171

Post#65 » by packfan414 » Wed Apr 8, 2015 7:43 pm

I have heard 1250 guys reference specific posts on realgm before, so clearly they read realgm. The fact that one of them would take credit for a poster's find is not surprising at all. Of course they will just deny it and claim they found it on their own.

Credit to salsa for the find.
lunchbox
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#66 » by lunchbox » Wed Apr 8, 2015 8:40 pm

Looks like Google Maps has been changed back to not show the edits seen this morning with the HD Arena. Juneau Avenue exists again. Now listing Google Maps as an unreliable source in my book.
We have cute pictures for an arena and an absent Mayor of Milwaukee on the arena issue.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,472

Post#67 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 8, 2015 8:48 pm

No naming rights for awhile, we'll lock this up for now.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks