ImageImage

Will the Bucks match any offer on Middleton?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

bigbucksfan1234
Senior
And1: 187

Re: Re: Will the Bucks match any offer on Middleton? 

Post#61 » by bigbucksfan1234 » Fri May 8, 2015 5:36 am

BucksIn6ix wrote:
BlackKnight wrote:Middleton at the $15M max is a BARGAIN. I want him on the Sixers so bad but 99% chance Bucks match any offer.

He's easily a top 3 SG already (#2 SG behind Harden imo).

List of 2's that are better than Middleton:

1. Harden
2. Butler
3. Thompson
4. Matthews
5. DeRozan
6. Korver
7. Beal
8. Oladipo
9. Ellis
10. Redick
11. Gordon
12. Oladipo

Obviously some of these are very arguable but there's at least 7 or 8 SG's better than him. Let's not get carried away.

I disagree with this list Middleton is way better on defense then most of guys on this list

List if 2's better then Middleton

1. harden
2. Butler
3. Thompson
4. Beal
5. Derozan

And that none of the other guys on the list are half the defender middleton is and he's a lot younger then all those guys expect Oladipo
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 23,074

Re: Will the Bucks match any offer on Middleton? 

Post#62 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri May 8, 2015 7:37 am

DeRozan sucks.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,765

Post#63 » by AussieBuck » Fri May 8, 2015 8:51 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:DeRozan sucks.

Michael Redd with a crappy jump shot, Grantland called him a random points generator, I loled.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#64 » by Chapter29 » Fri May 8, 2015 11:48 am

This is a very interesting question.

Generically I think we all want to say well....we will just match because we have a young productive 3&D kind of guy that we really like and want to keep.

Middleton at 12M is too much in any other year. In other years I don't think we'd match that. He's not that good. Maybe 10M?

But with the cap going up at a crazy rate over the next few years I think 12M is probably about right.

What is the max next season?

LMAO that JJ Redick is better than Middleton. That dude can do 1 thing well...shoot. Otherwise the guy with the shortest arms in the league is a terrible defender and useless at anything other than taking wide open shots.
Giannis
is
UponUs
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#65 » by No-Man » Fri May 8, 2015 12:06 pm

Right now I think only Korver, Butler, Ellis, Thompson, Harden, Wade, Matthews (and we will see with the injury), are clearly better than Khris, I´d accept DeRozan even though I dont like him one bit.
It is true that potentially Oladipo, Beal, Knight (if he plays full time SG with the Suns) can surpass him, but it is still up in the air.
He is a potentially top5 SG going forward in a couple of years, you match any offer if you are the Bucks, no doubt.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,923

Post#66 » by buckboy » Fri May 8, 2015 12:16 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:
buckboy wrote:
mlloyd10 wrote:S&T for Embiid

Pass, not that it's possible.

Really didn't think I needed the green font

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

You post a lot of homer trades. And I imagine most people would think this was a homer trade.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,416

Post#67 » by MiltownHawkeye » Fri May 8, 2015 12:48 pm

LOL at Beal/Oladipo/Gordon/Derozan/Redick all being better than Middleton, that's a joke.

If someone wanted to say DeRozan I'd say "fine whatever" because they're polar opposites as players. There's like no justification for the other ones. Beal is the most offensive.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#68 » by Nebula1 » Fri May 8, 2015 1:01 pm

Beal is better than Middleton, but that said, the Bucks should absolutely match.
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by MiltownHawkeye » Fri May 8, 2015 1:02 pm

Nebula1 wrote:Beal is better than Middleton, but that said, the Bucks should absolutely match.

What is Beal better at?
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#70 » by Nebula1 » Fri May 8, 2015 1:22 pm

MiltownHawkeye wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:Beal is better than Middleton, but that said, the Bucks should absolutely match.

What is Beal better at?

Contracts being even, do you trade Middleton for Beal? Yes. Beal for Middleton? No.

I like Middleton a ton, but he's not on Beal's level.
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#71 » by dbrodz7 » Fri May 8, 2015 1:27 pm

MiltownHawkeye wrote:

What is Beal better at?

He's a hell of a lot better at getting injured. That's one that comes to mind off the top of my head.
Misery loves company
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by MiltownHawkeye » Fri May 8, 2015 1:29 pm

Nebula1 wrote:
MiltownHawkeye wrote:

What is Beal better at?

Contracts being even, do you trade Middleton for Beal? Yes. Beal for Middleton? No.

I like Middleton a ton, but he's not on Beal's level.

Way to sidestep my question.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,236

Post#73 » by paulpressey25 » Fri May 8, 2015 1:33 pm

I'd probably trade Middleton for Beal because Beal is younger, has done it "longer" so to speak and came in with the big time pedigree. I don't have any worries Beal would ever regress and not fit a $16mm a year contract.

Again that's my concern with Middleton. He just hasn't done this long-enough to where you know he's a lock to repeat his second half performance over the next four seasons.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#74 » by Nebula1 » Fri May 8, 2015 1:40 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:I'd probably trade Middleton for Beal because Beal is younger, has done it "longer" so to speak and came in with the big time pedigree. I don't have any worries Beal would ever regress and not fit a $16mm a year contract.

Again that's my concern with Middleton. He just hasn't done this long-enough to where you know he's a lock to repeat his second half performance over the next four seasons.

Stepping away from the fan side, it's not really close. Middleton is a strong 3&D guy and extra valuable for Milwaukee, but he's no Brad Beal. There is no question you trade Middleton for Beal and no question you say no, the other way round.
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by MiltownHawkeye » Fri May 8, 2015 1:42 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:I'd probably trade Middleton for Beal because Beal is younger, has done it "longer" so to speak and came in with the big time pedigree. I don't have any worries Beal would ever regress and not fit a $16mm a year contract.

Do you know what I think the most impressive part of Middleton's career has been up to this point? Shooting 41% from 3 on last year's Bucks team on solid volume. The guard service was abysmal and the offensive system was non-existent. That's what makes me think he's not going to fall off once he gets his money. I also don't think there'd be as much skepticism over whether he can maintain this level of production if he never got injured and went in the top half of the 1st like he was originally going to, but that's a different discussion.

Would I trade Middleton straight-up for Beal? I'd very strongly consider it. But I still want to know what makes Beal a better player than Middleton today. Because obviously the guy who listed like 12 SGs that are better than Middleton wasn't considering value.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#76 » by dbrodz7 » Fri May 8, 2015 1:49 pm

Beal is probably the better player and he's younger, but you guys are ignoring the fact that Beal has missed 54 games over his first 3 years in the league. Is that a fluke or is he an injury prone player?
Misery loves company
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,271

Post#77 » by LUKE23 » Fri May 8, 2015 2:24 pm

I guess it depends on what part of his game we are talking about. He's been an elite shooter for the past two seasons (only five players last two years have played 4,000+ minutes and shot 40%+ from 3-Curry, Thompson, Beal, Korver, and Middleton), so I think it's safe to say that's here to stay. He's only been top notch defensively for one year, but if you figure that's on Kidd, it should be here to stay.

I think most of the angst on Middleton's contract is related to his scoring volume. People want a $XM per year guy to score Y amount of points. I'm more interested in him continuing to give us near elite efficiency, elite floor spacing, and great D, while not disrupting our team offense whatsoever. I also factor in the contract being signed under this cap, but then being compared to the future caps, and to me my worry goes down quite a bit.
sidney moncrief
Junior
And1: 186

Post#78 » by sidney moncrief » Fri May 8, 2015 2:34 pm

dbrodz7 wrote:Beal is probably the better player and he's younger, but you guys are ignoring the fact that Beal has missed 54 games over his first 3 years in the league. Is that a fluke or is he an injury prone player?

Remember when we passed on Curry because we thought he was too injury prone?

I agree that Beal is probably the better player. The injuries could be bad luck, or he could be Eric Gordon 2.0. If a hypothetical Middleton for Beal swap was actually on the table and the only thing holding me back was his injury history, I think I make the trade.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,889

Post#79 » by Ron Swanson » Fri May 8, 2015 2:38 pm

I think Beal's going to be a multiple time All-Star, so he's a no-brainer over Middleton for me. I understand the injury concerns, but people said the same thing about Curry through his first 3 seasons in the league. His production when healthy has been great, and his upside is substantially higher than Middleton's.
SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Post#80 » by SpursNBucks » Fri May 8, 2015 2:43 pm

Actually they both have played the same amount of years - Both missed a lot games rookie year, but looking at last two they have both been pretty consistent. Beal avg closer to 35 minutes while Mids about 30. Here is the tale of the tape:

AGE/LONGEVITY: Beal is only 22 months younger- when you consider Beal's game rellies more on athleticism he will probably have a shorter career. Of the 3 years Beal has been in the NBA-he has missed 57 games = 28% Mids rookie year he didn't play much as a 2nd rounder, the last two years he ONLY missed 5 games or 2.4% the last 2 years Beal missed 18%

SHOOTING Both good shooters - Middleton's #'s better. (2014) TS% Beal 52% / Mids 56.3%

SIZE Beal 6'5" 207 / Mids 6'7" 225 = edge Middleton

REBOUNDING Beal - steady avg here averages about 34 minutes (last 2 years) 3.8/ Mids (same Period) 4 less minutes 4.0/
TRB% 6.4% Beal Mids 8.4% = Edge Middleton

Turnovers/possession (2014) Beal .117 Mids .108 = Advantage Mids

AST % (% ass made while on floor) Beal 15% Mids 12.7% = Advantage Beal

VI (Versatility Index) Beal 6.7 Mids 6.8 = call it even

DWS (Defensive wins Shares) -Beal 2.4 Mids 3.5 = Advantage Mids - he is a better defender.

The thing that is hard to get out of your head is that Beal came in to the NBA as a much heralded frosh and picked #3. While Mids came in as a "Who dat?" and picked #39, but when you look at the stats you can certainly make a strong case for Mids being better.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks