New Arena Crunch Time - How to contact your legislator

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Re: New Arena Crunch Time - How to contact your legislator 

Post#321 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:37 am

drew881 wrote:I think the stage between seeing details and voting will be very quick. Do you think politicians read all the details of bills?

This details stuff is primarily a way to weasel out of taking a position.

And for some, they don't want to know the details. In Waukesha tonight there was a GOP primary to replace Sen Farrow who leaves office on July 17th. One guy running, Brian Dorow, almost made the arena his top three issue. And he lost. As of yesterday he was still running radio ads against the Bucks arena and telling people important questions haven't been answered like what happens to the arena debt if the Bucks move. I thought they were pretty clear all four governmental entities putting money into this have a clawback to pay back the $250 million. But for Dorow, the sound bite was what he wanted to use even though not accurate.

Of course his opponent who won is also against the arena, but doesn't seem to be quite as badly. Bottom line we need this vote before Farrow leaves office because Farrow indicated he could vote for it as a separated bill.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Toodles1980
Junior
And1: 177

Post#322 » by Toodles1980 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:05 am

drew881 wrote:I think the stage between seeing details and voting will be very quick. Do you think politicians read all the details of bills?

I think they really want the LAB to take a look at this and see that analysis. I think if it comes back positive we will see a relatively quick vote with outstate Republicans using the road funding issue as their "win", if the LAB report comes back bad, then we will have a problem.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#323 » by Bernman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:26 am

paulpressey25 wrote:This details stuff is primarily a way to weasel out of taking a position.

And for some, they don't want to know the details. In Waukesha tonight there was a GOP primary to replace Sen Farrow who leaves office on July 17th. One guy running, Brian Dorow, almost made the arena his top three issue. And he lost. As of yesterday he was still running radio ads against the Bucks arena and telling people important questions haven't been answered like what happens to the arena debt if the Bucks move. I thought they were pretty clear all four governmental entities putting money into this have a clawback to pay back the $250 million. But for Dorow, the sound bite was what he wanted to use even though not accurate.

Of course his opponent who won is also against the arena, but doesn't seem to be quite as badly. Bottom line we need this vote before Farrow leaves office because Farrow indicated he could vote for it as a separated bill.

Well, I thought of that angle, which is why I replied to LeMahieu I'd pay close attention to how he'd end up voting. I'm sure it's the motivation of some who are being non-committal. They are copping out.

However, I think it's a perfectly reasonable stance to take at this point in the process. I know not being firmly in favor goes against your and our agenda here, but plenty of these reps aren't as schooled on the precedent of this issue as you or I and want to wait to find out if any better alternatives for funding are discussed. If they come out strongly one way and then flip, people would be really pissed at them then. I would hold it against LeMahieu though if he voted nay though after indicating it was highly likely he'd be in favor when it was all said and done.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#324 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:15 am

Bernman wrote:
However, I think it's a perfectly reasonable stance to take at this point in the process. I know not being firmly in favor goes against your and our agenda here, but plenty of these reps aren't as schooled on the precedent of this issue as you or I and want to wait to find out if any better alternatives for funding are discussed. If they come out strongly one way and then flip, people would be really pissed at them then.

I know you are on the correct side of things here, and I am grateful for it, but I strongly disagree with the above.

As PP25 said, it is mostly a way to weasel out of taking a position.

Nobody has the 100% exact/precise language of the budget and/or amendment. So what? People need to step up and stop being wusses.

Winning takes balls.

So does leading. From men and women.

Build for the future, not the 8th tier.

Take a position on the details of the proposal to the best of our knowledge.

"The details of the arena proposal have been reported as x,y,z. I will ,if reports are accurate, vote in favor of a budget including that proposal or in favor of separate legislation containing this arena proposal. I reserve the right to object to any details that haven't been reported that I deem to be significant to the taxpayers I represent."

Even without the last sentence, that statement doesn't allow an out of context quote.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM

Post#325 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:31 am

Newz wrote:
Some of the people I talked to are going to call their reps and tell them that they are opposed to the taxes that will be put onto things downtown

It is absolutely infuriating that YOU, a self-proclaimed hardcore Bucks fan, would contribute to that type of inaccurate information and propaganda to bolster opposition to the arena proposal.

What taxes are going to be PUT ONTO THINGS DOWNTOWN?????????

The answer? None. No taxes will be PUT ONTO THINGS DOWNTOWN.

The WCD taxes already exist an WILL EXIST WHETHER THE NEW ARENA PROPOSAL IS APPROVED OR NOT!

If the new arena proposal is not approved, that WCD revenue will be used for another purpose, and that purpose, without the new arena proposal, was slated to be for convention center expansion.

This is not something that can be disagrees upon. It is LAW that the WCD already exists and already collects hotel, car rental, and food and beverage tax. The food and beverage tax is 0.5% and is CAPPED at that amount BY LAW.

Implying otherwise is totally dishonest and you should be ashamed of yourself for doing so.
97-98

midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#326 » by midranger » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:12 am

Newz wrote:These were mostly people that I had to explain that there was no hike in taxes in other areas.

GAD. Literally his next sentence.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
midranger
RealGM

Post#327 » by midranger » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:57 am

Additionally, the county will have a 4 million dollar shortfall in state funding each year for two decades when the bogus bad debt collection thing goes south. Taxes will be raised or services cut. Either way, not a neutral event for us milwaukee county residents.
bigdog34
Senior
And1: 96

New Arena Crunch Time - How to contact your legislator 

Post#328 » by bigdog34 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:02 pm

Any discussion on Bill Simmons' conspiracy theory? I respect a lot of your alls opinions, and want to know how you all felt about what he said about nba has vesting interest in milw not getting an arena. ???

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
midranger
RealGM

Post#329 » by midranger » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:07 pm

The deck is sr caked in the nba's favor either way. Either they solidify the prescedent of bullying cities into dropping huge swaths of money into arenas or.... the bucks are moved to a more profitable city.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,240

Post#330 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:25 pm

I find it relatively hilarious that someone, with a straight face no less, both calls themselves a "hardcore" Bucks fan, and has spent considerable time getting friends to call in to oppose something that keeps the team in Milwaukee. Especially when the amount of money paid per year by the state and county combined ($8M) will be offset by NBA player income tax revenue ($6.5M and rising with the new cap). You're both not a hardcore Bucks fan and poor at math.
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,455

Post#331 » by steger_3434 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:31 pm

Newz, serious question. These are your ONLY two options. State funding of a new arena or the Bucks leave. No in between. What side do you pick?
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,044

Post#332 » by Siefer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:41 pm

If you have an issue/question with the board, address it via PM. Thx MD
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,019

Post#333 » by humanrefutation » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:12 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:I know you are on the correct side of things here, and I am grateful for it, but I strongly disagree with the above.

Nobody has the 100% exact/precise language of the budget and/or amendment. So what? People need to step up and stop being wusses.

Winning takes balls.

"The details of the arena proposal have been reported as x,y,z. I will ,if reports are accurate, vote in favor of a budget including that proposal or in favor of separate legislation containing this arena proposal. I reserve the right to object to any details that haven't been reported that I deem to be significant to the taxpayers I represent."

Even without the last sentence, that statement doesn't allow an out of context quote.

Take a step back from cliche-town and actually read what LeMahieu wrote to Bern:

Sen. Devin LeMahieu wrote:That being said, I am generally in favor of the current Bucks deal and the numbers that are being talked about. However, I am waiting to take an official position until we get the actual details of the proposal. I want to fully investigate the proposal to verify that there are no additional hidden costs to taxpayers or any other potential issues.

That's pretty much exactly what you thought he should say. Seems to be an appropriate position, in my view.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM

Post#334 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:18 pm

midranger wrote:
Newz wrote:These were mostly people that I had to explain that there was no hike in taxes in other areas.

GAD. Literally his next sentence.

That sentence is inaccurate, as it is continuing from a sentence saying that there WOULD be a hike in taxes downtown, saying there would be no hike in taxes in other areas that aren't downtown.

What Newz said was 100% inaccurate. That is not debatable. Perhaps Newz didn't know that the WCD taxes already exist and aren't changing at all as a result of the arena proposal.

Regardless, what he said was inaccurate.
97-98

HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,772

Post#335 » by HaroldinGMinor » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:53 pm

midranger wrote:Additionally, the county will have a 4 million dollar shortfall in state funding each year for two decades when the bogus bad debt collection thing goes south. Taxes will be raised or services cut. Either way, not a neutral event for us milwaukee county residents.

So the state won't collect anything at all? They can pretty much just take money if they feel like it via wage garnishment. remains to be seen if they collect 100% for each year but I'd be willing to bet that they will more often than they don't.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#336 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:08 pm

[list=][/list]
MVP2110 wrote:Just got off the phone with a rep for dave hansen, and the guy was not polite at all. Safe to say I don't think hell be voting for the bill. Tried to tie it into the budget and when I asked how he would vote if it was a stand alone bill the rep said it didn't have a chance to pass.

Yeah, Hansen seems pretty against it in the quotes I saw. Many in Brown County (or some) are bitter they are the only ones that got taxed for the Packers deal thus not eager to pay for something in Milwaukee. I don't think it has anything to do with the Bucks really.

I sent the pre-written email and it went to Hansen (Senate - Dem) and JOhn Macco (State Rep - Republican).
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#337 » by Bernman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:10 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:I know you are on the correct side of things here, and I am grateful for it, but I strongly disagree with the above.

Winning takes balls.

LOL That's in effect almost exactly what LeMahieu said. He expressed a considerable lean based on what he's seen, he just wouldn't fully commit and start lobbying based off that stance until he got the plan in full or was in congress. That's the point at which he can show leadership.

Actually leadership was the theme of the e-mail, only displaying it in congress. I even used a bunch of puns like "don't pass the buck" and "the buck stops here". Also said the deal looks like a slam dunk. The only disappointing part of his response was not referencing the puns, because usually uptight politicians love that kind of crap. Otherwise it was good.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,419

Post#338 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:37 pm

We are going to lock this up for now. Once a decision is made on how this will proceed (in the budget, out of the budget but as a budget amendment, or as a separate bill) we will open this back up. For now discuss arena issues in the other thread.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks