ImageImage

1st - Rashad Vaughn

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Jay-Are
Ballboy
And1: 12

1st - Rashad Vaughn 

Post#621 » by Jay-Are » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:35 pm

engelmartin wrote:I dunno where to put this but I'm wondering if Ennis plays in summer league. It'd be badass to see him Ingliss and Vaughn together. They'd probably do better then Henson/Jabari/Giannis did, just because yeah it's all about them guards in the summer league.

Ennis is injured, won't make it for summer league. Shoulder surgery

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,376

Re: 1st - Rashad Vaughn 

Post#622 » by M-C-G » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:26 pm

weezybaby856 wrote:Is Vaughn ready for Summer League? He tore his meniscus and missed the last 11 games of the season so is he ready for full contact play already? Is the injury an afterthought? Seems like a bad injury but the 1 poster who says he's a UNLV fan said RV could've come back last year to finish the season but stayed sidelined for a 100% recovery. So I'm just trying to figure out where RV is at with his knee and how healthy he is rolling into July... Does anyone have good insight on that?

Pretty sure in his presser he said he had to sit out two months while he recovered but has his strength back and is 100% in time for his pre draft workouts.

Also, I think McKinney said he was medically cleared by 5 (?) doctors at the combine. Could be misremembering a bit, but thought I gleaned that from some interview and articles this week.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,497

Post#623 » by Bernman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:48 am

Scouting reports coming out of high school -

Rivals: An electric scoring guard who plays with supreme confidence. Vaughn is big, strong, athletic and very adept at driving to his left. His range extends to well beyond the three point line. Rebounds very well but has to work on his shot selection and efficiency.

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Rashad-Vaughn-122035

Scout: Scorer. You can't always perfectly describe those guys, but you know them when you see them. Vaughn simply knows how to put up big numbers. He's not the most efficient player but has that extra explosive quality that enables him to transcend pace and context and dominate for stretches.......

Vaughn actually isn't a pure shooter, and for that reason he's subject to some very poor outings with ugly percentages. His inefficiency can make him ineffective and lead to frustration and ill-advised shots, a cycle he'll definitely need to curtail at the next level.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1317799-rashad-vaughn-evaluation

--------

Must just always play with really bad teammates (like Baddy did). Even though his last year in high school he transferred to Findlay Prep, arguably the biggest powerhouse in the nation in his recent years (like Baddy, when he played at Oak Hill).

As if it was ever a better idea to take jumpers right in opponent's faces or dribble at retreating defenders for highly contested runners, instead of passing much more to an NBA prospect or even random college players for sometimes open j's or layups as you see in the Arizona game video, if you didn't know he did that kind of stuff already. And that was one of his best games.

Bbbbbutt he's 18. We were all 18, once. And none of us would have made good 1st rd picks for the Bucks either. Maybe Luke would have been in the 2nd round. Couldn't have been much worse than JOB or Tiny.

I'm not a believer in instincts changing much over time. They are theoretically ingrained and there isn't much proven efficacy banking on it. Things that significantly improve much more often are strength (area where he's already solid), shooting (same), and confidence (yep). There it matters more that you are 18. Realistic best case with a guy who has narrow-minded or selfish instincts but not elite size and/or skill is you scale down his game a lot over time or you take the good with the bad off the bench and the good gets somewhat better. If he stays close to the same he's Jordan Crawford. Those aren't exactly attractive scenarios for a #17 pick.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#624 » by Badgerlander » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:47 am

last 10 games - 18.5pts 5.5reb 1.9ast 1.3stl 2to .442/.417/.825 .594ts% .551efg%
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,751

Post#625 » by emunney » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:48 am

One thing about Vaughn that's really perplexing to me is that he looks like a great shooter, his form is perfect, his jump shooting from the field is good despite taking a lot of let's-say-'funny' shots... and yet he shot just under 70% from the line. What *is* that? It's not like it's disqualifying, although obviously you want your guards to do better than that from the line even if they aren't really pure shooters. Vaughn comes off as a knock down type shooter in all other ways, and then is really fairly bad at the free ones. Strange.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,121

Post#626 » by Shaffty » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:50 am

M-C-G wrote:
weezybaby856 wrote:Is Vaughn ready for Summer League? He tore his meniscus and missed the last 11 games of the season so is he ready for full contact play already? Is the injury an afterthought? Seems like a bad injury but the 1 poster who says he's a UNLV fan said RV could've come back last year to finish the season but stayed sidelined for a 100% recovery. So I'm just trying to figure out where RV is at with his knee and how healthy he is rolling into July... Does anyone have good insight on that?

Pretty sure in his presser he said he had to sit out two months while he recovered but has his strength back and is 100% in time for his pre draft workouts.

Also, I think McKinney said he was medically cleared by 5 (?) doctors at the combine. Could be misremembering a bit, but thought I gleaned that from some interview and articles this week.

He was on the roster last i heard
Buck Dweller
Starter
And1: 988

1st - Rashad Vaughn 

Post#627 » by Buck Dweller » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:57 am

Badgerlander wrote:last 10 games - 18.5pts 5.5reb 1.9ast 1.3stl 2to .442/.417/.825 .594ts% .551efg%

60%TS? As a freshman with sh*tty coaching? Why are people labeling this guy a "chucker"?
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#628 » by Badgerlander » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:00 am

emunney wrote:One thing about Vaughn that's really perplexing to me is that he looks like a great shooter, his form is perfect, his jump shooting from the field is good despite taking a lot of let's-say-'funny' shots... and yet he shot just under 70% from the line. What *is* that? It's not like it's disqualifying, although obviously you want your guards to do better than that from the line even if they aren't really pure shooters. Vaughn comes off as a knock down type shooter in all other ways, and then is really fairly bad at the free ones. Strange.

9 games in January 28/31 .903% from the line so its not like he cant shoot better from the line
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
davewah11
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#629 » by davewah11 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:17 am

Hey guys, sorry if it's already been covered here but are we expecting him to spend a year in the d-league? Thanks.
emunney
RealGM

Post#630 » by emunney » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:24 am

davewah11 wrote:Hey guys, sorry if it's already been covered here but are we expecting him to spend a year in the d-league? Thanks.

We don't really use the D-League. We share our team with I think 13 other NBA teams. I reserve the right to change my answer if LDE unexpectedly do the correct thing for the franchise and buy an expansion D-League team to stick in... Madison? Racine? Rhinelander? Probably Rhinelander.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Re: Re: 1st - Rashad Vaughn 

Post#631 » by crkone » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:25 am

davewah11 wrote:Hey guys, sorry if it's already been covered here but are we expecting him to spend a year in the d-league? Thanks.

The d-league is worthless so I'd expect him to stay with the team. The coaching sucks, the tempo and style of play is awful, and the competition is laughable.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#632 » by Bernman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:26 am

BucksIn6ix wrote:60%TS? As a freshman with sh*tty coaching? Why are people labeling this guy a "chucker"?

Once again you're seeing what you want to see. His overall ts% was 54.7. That is below average for a prospect, especially factoring in competition. The actually 59.4 ts% (always an easy way to spot bias when there is convenient rounding) came from an isolated sample against less translatable competition and I can't even speak to its total accuracy since I'm assuming he calculated it. It does look improved, but it's much worse against the better, major conference teams he faced. That is the more translatable isolated sample, if you're honest. And the coaching excuse is a crock of crap when he got that the shot selection/inefficiency critique on two different teams in high school plus many of the shots he was taking are never a good idea. I'm sure the coach told him, "dribble straight into the defender and chuck up a contested runner instead of passing the ball".
crkone
RealGM

Post#633 » by crkone » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:30 am

Bernman wrote:
BucksIn6ix wrote:60%TS? As a freshman with sh*tty coaching? Why are people labeling this guy a "chucker"?

Once again you're seeing what you want to see. His overall ts% was 54.7. That is below average for a prospect, especially factoring in competition. The actually 59.4 ts% (always an easy way to spot bias when there is convenient rounding) came from an isolated sample against less translatable competition and I can't even speak to its total accuracy since I'm assuming he calculated it. It does look improved, but it's much worse against the better, major conference teams he faced. That is the more translatable isolated sample, if you're honest. And the coaching excuse is a crock of crap when he got that the shot selection/inefficiency critique on two different teams in high school plus many of the shots he was taking are never a good idea. I'm sure the coach told him, "dribble straight into the defender and chuck up a contested runner instead of passing the ball".

He was a super young freshman. Maybe he should have stayed two more years and everyone would be drooling for him. The nitpicking is ridiculous. Kidd will break him down and build him up. He did it in one season with Middleton, Giannis, and Henson (by the playoffs at least).
Bernman
RealGM

Post#634 » by Bernman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:31 am

Badgerlander wrote:9 games in January 28/31 .903% from the line so its not like he cant shoot better from the line

I'm sure you could find a 31 free throw sample where Shaq shot like 80%. It would be pointless though. You're isolating smaller samples to conform to your opinion. What happened in January to make that the sample more reflective of his ability than the overall? He had a broken hand to start the season?
emunney
RealGM

Post#635 » by emunney » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:35 am

Badgerlander wrote:
emunney wrote:One thing about Vaughn that's really perplexing to me is that he looks like a great shooter, his form is perfect, his jump shooting from the field is good despite taking a lot of let's-say-'funny' shots... and yet he shot just under 70% from the line. What *is* that? It's not like it's disqualifying, although obviously you want your guards to do better than that from the line even if they aren't really pure shooters. Vaughn comes off as a knock down type shooter in all other ways, and then is really fairly bad at the free ones. Strange.

9 games in January 28/31 .903% from the line so its not like he cant shoot better from the line

And yet, around 60% in the other 14 games, so it's not like he can't shoot worse, either.
Badgerlander
RealGM

1st - Rashad Vaughn 

Post#636 » by Badgerlander » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:39 am

No, we haven't sent anyone to the Ants since February of 2013 and I'd expect that to continue unless at some point the team decides to buy their own franchise. Players are better off under our coaching staff running our system with our trainers etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bernman
RealGM

Post#637 » by Bernman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:43 am

crkone wrote:He was a super young freshman. Maybe he should have stayed two more years and everyone would be drooling for him. The nitpicking is ridiculous. Kidd will break him down and build him up. He did it in one season with Middleton, Giannis, and Henson (by the playoffs at least).

Kidd didn't really do it with any of those guys. Their improvement, what they had of it, was about consistent with a year more of age and experience.

The guys you can maybe say he had the most positive effects on individually were Mayo and Dudley. But they also could have just naturally returned to the players they were year before last as they are still in their 20's and didn't have major injuries.

Kidd's impact on the team was more about the defensive scheme and not being afraid to ride hot hands or combos of lineups, similar to when Skiles was here. Kidd is a much more personable Skiles, although you might end up in the same place with both of them in the end.

I'm not saying there is not a good chance Kidd doesn't break him down, but build him back up? He's not going to replace 13 years of formative instincts with mostly new ones. It doesn't really work like that. In all likelihood in the better than worse scenario he's broken into a 3 + solid d guy who stands in the corner and hits heavily catch and shoot jumpers and contains his man, or he's a little bit more efficient and better passing version of who he is now as a 6th-7th man.
Badgerlander
RealGM

1st - Rashad Vaughn 

Post#638 » by Badgerlander » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:45 am

emunney wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:

And yet, around 60% in the other 14 games, so it's not like he can't shoot worse, either.

Aside from one 0-3 game in February he was markedly improved the second half of the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
emunney
RealGM

Post#639 » by emunney » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:47 am

Hopefully this is settled by him shooting 80%+ from here on out.
crkone
RealGM

Re: Re: Re: 1st - Rashad Vaughn 

Post#640 » by crkone » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:50 am

Bernman wrote:
crkone wrote:He was a super young freshman. Maybe he should have stayed two more years and everyone would be drooling for him. The nitpicking is ridiculous. Kidd will break him down and build him up. He did it in one season with Middleton, Giannis, and Henson (by the playoffs at least).

I'm not saying there is not a good chance Kidd doesn't break him down, but build him back up? He's not going to replace 13 years of formative instincts with mostly new ones. It doesn't really work like that. In all likelihood in the better than worse scenario he's a 3 + solid d guy who stands in the corner and hits heavily catch and shoot jumpers and contains his man, or he's a little bit more efficient and better passing version of who he is now as a 6th-7th man.

It's extremely likely Vaughn will learn and play the way Kidd likes it. I'd you don't think Jabari or Giannis adapted to Kidd's style I'll just stop right her. I really have nothing else to say.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks