ImageImage

OT: Bo Ryan will retire after one more season

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Re: OT: Bo Ryan will retire after one more season 

Post#121 » by buckboy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:01 pm

He blocked those schools because he wanted Uthoff to sack up and talk to him face to face instead of sending his girlfriend to tell Ryan he was transferring. Not an excuse necessarily, but a reason.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#122 » by Nebula1 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:42 pm

Too bad Smart already moved to Texas.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#123 » by Bernman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:31 pm

Nebula1 wrote:Too bad Smart already moved to Texas.

It wouldn't have been likely he'd have accepted a job here anyway, but it would have been another realistic possibility at our disposal at least.

Getting Bennett last year as opposed to two years later would have been much more realistic.

That's in part why I endorsed amidst heavy criticism (that I still get) considering a regime change if Bo didn't get past the 1st rd in '14. to make it back to back years with a disappointing outcome like that. I thought there was about a 10% chance of that midseason, and less than 5% before the tourney, but in that event it would have been the wiser, less emotional decision to start looking to move on. Bo was 66, so we knew he could announce his retirement at any time. Our prospects wouldn't have been nearly as good coming off back to back 1st rd exits as opposed to a final four. And we'd have had the same players anyway. It would have effectively probably been 15-20 years of someone like Tony Bennett or 2 of Bo Ryan coming off back to back 1st rd exits and then ___ years of the average hire in Greg Gard. What's the better scenario there? It's similar wisdom that would lead a team to move on a little early from a legend like Brett Favre to a future legend like Aaron Rodgers. Only difference was Rodgers was already under contract, but the Packers moved on from Favre even after he made a final four.
Tfence92
Starter
And1: 435

Post#124 » by Tfence92 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 12:39 am

humanrefutation wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
JustinCredible wrote:
I believe so. The Iowa kid a few years ago. The interview on Mike and Mike was embarrassing.

What did he do? They initially blocked transfer within the conference like any other coach does to a transfer.

I actually think he went a step above and blocked all Iowa schools as well.

But the interview was terrible because Bo just happened to be the guy put to task about the injustice of the transfer rules - how coaches can leave whenever they want but players can't - and he didn't really address those questions in a way which reflected positively on him. It was no surprise that he backed off on his transfer limitation pretty much the next day.

This ^

Put him in a really tough spot and basically forced him to back off on the transfer limitations.

However, what he did is no different than what any other school would do.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

OT: Bo Ryan will retire after one more season 

Post#125 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jul 1, 2015 2:39 am

Not a chance Shaka would have come to Madison.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#126 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Jul 1, 2015 9:04 pm

ESPN on recruiting ramifications of Bo's announcement http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13180815
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#127 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jul 1, 2015 10:04 pm

I can't watch the video right now, but I'd say in the short-term, this was the perfect time to do it. They may only have to fill 1 spot in the next year, if that. It may affect Rowan, though as Bern said, it may not at all given that he has them in his list still. I still think he's likely St. Johns or Louisville regardless.

EDIT: @PaulBiancardi: Just spoke with Maverick Rowan about Bo Ryan is retiring as Wisconsin was in his final list. "It definitely changes things a lot"

Long term, it depends who the next coach is and/or if Gard can recruit.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#128 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Jul 1, 2015 10:18 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:I can't watch the video right now, but I'd say in the short-term, this was the perfect time to do it. They may only have to fill 1 spot in the next year, if that. It may affect Rowan, though as Bern said, it may not at all given that he has them in his list still. I still think he's likely St. Johns or Louisville regardless.

EDIT: @PaulBiancardi: Just spoke with Maverick Rowan about Bo Ryan is retiring as Wisconsin was in his final list. "It definitely changes things a lot"

Long term, it depends who the next coach is and/or if Gard can recruit.

Yeah they basically say it's not a big deal for 2016 but will be for 2017 because they have a number of scholarships to fill in that class. Not too detailed analysis, but thought it was worth sharing.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#129 » by Bernman » Wed Jul 1, 2015 10:24 pm

Yeah, excellent timing if anything, but I had seen the quote that came out subsequently from Rowan about changing things a lot. Right afterward he acted indifferent about it. Apparently needed more time to think. It would be a shame if it cost them his services. But I guess you have to expect the announcement and not naming a successor even would adversely affect us in at least some small way in the short-term. About Louisville, they were out of it, and I assume still are. So if not Wisconsin now, St. John's or NC St I guess. We still have a shot to convince him on his visit though and he's changed his mind as much as I've seen any recruit do it during their process.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,287

Post#130 » by HKPackFan » Thu Jul 2, 2015 10:35 am

Bo certainly got consistent results. Gonna be missed, and very difficult to keep the standard as high as Bo made it.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,423

Post#131 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jul 6, 2015 5:18 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/311749041.html

Potrykus' take on why he thinks Gard gets the job.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#132 » by xTitan » Mon Jul 6, 2015 5:25 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/311749041.html

Potrykus' take on why he thinks Gard gets the job.

I find it interesting that with so many members of the press calling for Gard to get the job will they be objective if/when the program drops off from Bo's level?
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#133 » by Nebula1 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:12 am

I hadn't ever seen this but how awesome

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM0TmRc152w[/youtube]

Return to Milwaukee Bucks