ImageImage

Arena Bill Debate - City Council Passes Bill 12-3 - IT'S DONE

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Buckrageous
Starter
And1: 665

Re: Arena Bill Debate -ASSEMBLY PASSES BILL 52-34 

Post#2961 » by Buckrageous » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:46 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Bucks have spent more than anyone in WI lobbying in 2015.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/sbauerAP/status/634756958189432832[/tweet]

As much as I'm sure the phone calls helped politicians and policies are bought, not so much convinced or negotiated.
Stoltz3
Junior
And1: 216

Post#2962 » by Stoltz3 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:10 pm

Really looking forward to the Common Council Public Hearing. Living in central Wisconsin, I haven't been able to make it to any hearings on the arena due to my location. I head back down to UWM on the 27th though, so I definitely plan on attending the hearing. In fact, I may end up chiming in if given the chance. The Bucks fever is beginning to reach up to this part of the state, as many of my friends are planning trips down to Milwaukee this year to see some games. I am even noticing more coverage in my local newspaper than in years prior. I was just in Boston this past weekend as well, and in their downtown area there is a beautiful public plaza near Quincy Market that was absolutely bustling with people and food trucks. Granted many of those people may have been tourists, but nonetheless, the place was always electric with street performers and such. I think that the entertainment plaza near the arena has the potential to become that, if not surpass it.
"Have you seen the movie, 'Like Mike?' Where he wears the shoes and is balling like Jordan? That's the
sleeve. Do it like Giannis."

- Giannis Antetokounmpo
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,421

Post#2963 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:16 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/business/city-comptroller-recommends-approval-of-milwaukee-bucks-arena-plan-b99563727z1-322825701.html

City comptroller recommends approving arena

"At this point in time, I recommend approval of the proposed financing, which may reflect the beginning of an even larger economic development opportunity," Matson says in his report to the Common Council, made public Tuesday.

Matson's review concludes that property taxes from both tax financing districts should be high enough to pay back the city's total debts within those estimated time frames.

Matson, in his letter to the council, also says "one may conclude that U.S. cities have been played against each other in order to retain national teams" because such sports clubs are relatively scarce.

However, Matson also says the provision in the public financing package which holds the Bucks responsible for covering cost overruns on the arena is unusual.

"No prior deal that we have read had a similar limitation," the report says.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
mcfromage
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#2964 » by mcfromage » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:14 am

Less than a week left in August and still no new renderings.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKirVyxf0do[/youtube]
Stoltz3
Junior

Post#2965 » by Stoltz3 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:54 am

Not sure how many of you are aware of the situation in St. Louis, but it will make you very proud of our ownership group of LED. Stan Kroenke is basically going Clay Bennett on the city of St. Louis, as he's set to make the move to LA. Really hope their stadium situation works out for them.
"Have you seen the movie, 'Like Mike?' Where he wears the shoes and is balling like Jordan? That's the

- Giannis Antetokounmpo
bucks2281
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#2966 » by bucks2281 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:52 pm

I thought this was noteworthy. Nationstar agrees to provide $30 million to help with foreclosures in Milwaukee; Common Ground will change its position on arena funding on Monday:

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/2015/08/common-ground-denies-quid-pro-quo-between-30m.html
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,019

Post#2967 » by humanrefutation » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:57 pm

Stoltz3 wrote:Not sure how many of you are aware of the situation in St. Louis, but it will make you very proud of our ownership group of LED. Stan Kroenke is basically going Clay Bennett on the city of St. Louis, as he's set to make the move to LA. Really hope their stadium situation works out for them.

Why would that make you proud of LED? They did the same exact thing to Milwaukee except we actually decided to pay the freight to keep them.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,774

Post#2968 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:13 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
Stoltz3 wrote:Not sure how many of you are aware of the situation in St. Louis, but it will make you very proud of our ownership group of LED. Stan Kroenke is basically going Clay Bennett on the city of St. Louis, as he's set to make the move to LA. Really hope their stadium situation works out for them.

Why would that make you proud of LED? They did the same exact thing to Milwaukee except we actually decided to pay the freight to keep them.

I don't know the ins and outs of the STL situation but I do know that Kroenke actually went ahead and bought land in LA. I don't think he wants to even be in STL. LED at least seem interested in staying in MKE given how much they spent on lobbying efforts and the fact that they bought land around the new arena.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,019

Post#2969 » by humanrefutation » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:22 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

I don't know the ins and outs of the STL situation but I do know that Kroenke actually went ahead and bought land in LA. I don't think he wants to even be in STL. LED at least seem interested in staying in MKE given how much they spent on lobbying efforts and the fact that they bought land around the new arena.

Yeah, but he bought land that he could easily flip elsewhere. It's not like he's going to be stuck with it - the worst thing that'll happen is that he'll be able to sell it to another team moving to LA, or another business.

The broad point being - I'm glad the team is staying, but I'm not "proud" of our ownership group for extorting $250M out of us. It's like some people here have stockholm syndrome.
Toodles1980
Junior
And1: 177

Post#2970 » by Toodles1980 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:08 pm

bucks2281 wrote:I thought this was noteworthy. Nationstar agrees to provide $30 million to help with foreclosures in Milwaukee; Common Ground will change its position on arena funding on Monday:

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/2015/08/common-ground-denies-quid-pro-quo-between-30m.html

My guess is they won't support the arena, but they will no longer actively oppose it. If I'm right that's the end of any form of organized opposition to the deal.
Stoltz3
Junior

Post#2971 » by Stoltz3 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:27 pm

humanrefutation wrote:

I'm just saying, they were lobbying hard for the arena to be built in Milwaukee. They did a lot of behind the scenes efforts in Madison to ensure this got done and that the Bucks stayed here. Then look at how they are investing in the Park East, something that hasn't been touched for years. I admit I don't know the full details of what's happening in Missouri, but my gut tells me that Kroenke doesn't have the same mentality and drive to do the same in St. Louis.

- Giannis Antetokounmpo
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#2972 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:11 pm

I think LED bargained crazy hard here and they got a good deal. The benefit for us is that LED did all of this stuff extremely smooth compared to other cities and owners who are pounding the gavel and flipping over flower pots to get their arena.

Now you can say "Yeah, but in the end they got a great deal just like owner x did in state y". True, but they did it professionally. And where I care about that is it speaks to their ability to run things well, which means good times to come for our local on court product.

These guys know how to get things done quietly and behind the scenes. Heck, look at this new info on Common Ground.

The days of the Bucks trading for RJ and having us wait a week while RJ decides whether he'll report or not are thankfully over. 8-)
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,740

Post#2973 » by emunney » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:24 pm

humanrefutation wrote:

Seems like Kroenke wants to move the team and isn't putting any money toward a potential St. Louis stadium. This is a billion dollar stadium. He wants to put a 2b stadium in Inglewood. Different situation because LED couldn't move the team, but regardless of motivation, one ownership group was working actively to keep the team in place; the other seems to be actively trying to move.

I think props are due to LED for agreeing to buy the team with the no-move provision, and of course to Kohl for waiting to sell it until he could find somebody who'd agree to that.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#2974 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:36 pm

By the way, the Common Ground thing is huge because now it neutralizes a lot things for the City Common Council meeting to approve the $47mm arena component.

EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#2975 » by EastSideBucksFan » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:50 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:By the way, the Common Ground thing is huge because now it neutralizes a lot things for the City Common Council meeting to approve the $47mm arena component.

Funny how the timing works out on these things.

:D

If you can, please attend Common Council Public Hearing today at 4pm at City Hall.

Bob Bauman is spouting to the media he's getting calls 4-5 to 1 against new arena.

Feel free to give him a call today to show your support. 414-286-2221
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,421

Post#2976 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:54 pm

It will be interesting to see if CG comes out in support of the arena or if they just don't oppose the arena. I don't think it matters either way.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#2977 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:01 pm

I don't believe Bob Baumann for a minute on that. This smells a lot like Lena Taylor. Give me some love people! Give me some love!

Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,653

Post#2978 » by Matches Malone » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:32 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:I don't believe Bob Baumann for a minute on that. This smells a lot like Lena Taylor. Give me some love people! Give me some love!

Let me be clear here... give him some love.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
bucks2281
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#2979 » by bucks2281 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:16 pm

I have my doubts that many people are calling about the arena, one way or another.

know for a fact that Bauman is involved in the land sale and the design of the arena. He just needs everybody to know that he's important.
ColeWorld23
Sixth Man
And1: 679

Post#2980 » by ColeWorld23 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:33 pm

Bauman is what's wrong with Milwaukee politics. Time after time he's been quoted saying negative things about the new arena and the Bucks. People like him gotta go! He always delays potential developments downtown.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks