ImageImage

Hammond out as GM? Begel is the new Woelfel

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,161

Re: Hammond out as GM? Begel is the new Woelfel 

Post#341 » by JEIS » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:09 pm

It looks like the press conference in on in 10 min on the bucks web page. See if there are any questions.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#342 » by Nowak008 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:13 pm

europa wrote:Hammond's damn lucky he didn't get booted out the door the second the new owners arrived. He got an extreme gift to keep his job.

Exactly.

He should have been shot out of a cannon along with Larry Drew. Hammond is gone if there isn't a huge debacle with Kidd transitioning over to Milwaukee IMO

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#343 » by SupremeHustle » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:14 pm

Hammond looking at Kidd today like:

https://youtu.be/5Uoy6xy5AFM?t=1m43s
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,840

Post#344 » by VooDoo7 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:19 pm

The preseason game at the Kohl Center will be a Tue night. Dumb.
RW23
Junior
And1: 195

Post#345 » by RW23 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:52 pm

Awwww
breakchains
General Manager
And1: 2,708

Post#346 » by breakchains » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:03 pm

Villanoeyebrows wrote:I'll never forget an article that Woj wrote back in '04 about how Kidd was basically the one who put together that olympic team and made it work. Even Colangelo admitted as much. The takeaway from the article was basically that no one in the league had a better understanding and ability to put a team together, manage egos, get superstars to differ, and assign roles that players would accept than Kidd. And that article confirmed what we had seen from Jason on the court for a decade.

I don't think anyone can be better than average at both jobs (coach and GM). But a great coach can certainly have a right hand man as GM who differs to said coach in some matters. That is how the Spurs do it. So it can work. Doesn't mean it will work here. But I think even with this set up, we are in a 10 times better management and ownership structure than we were under Kohl. I mean, I get the criticism, and I understand how it could all fall apart. But its laughable that some here are freaking out that Hammond is not atop the management pyramid as diagrammed in sophomore year of college management class. Lasry and Edens have turned over all basketball related matters to Kidd, and while rumor has it he can be petty and ego driven... he is also a basketball genius and the purest point guard I have ever seen so I'm going to enjoy where this goes.

This is a good post but I still think it will end poorly on the management side, while still being a really good coach (ala Doc). In a lot of ways, the GM and Coach don't have exactly aligned interests. Coaches tend to think extremely short sighted with a hard focus on the now. They basically have to or they will lose credibility amongst their players. The GM's job is to take a bigger picture view of everything. Unless you have a really smart guy as the coach who can intellectually understand the different needs and issues in both roles (ala Pop and Belichick, who are both high IQ individuals), I think it is almost always doomed to fail.
buckbeer
Bench Warmer
And1: 874

Post#347 » by buckbeer » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:28 pm

europa wrote:Great story by David Aldridge today detailing the Bucks' rise in status despite being a small-market team. I thought this quote from David Falk about the Monroe signing was pertinent to this discussion:

"At the end of the day, (Monroe) felt that the special relationship that Jason has with Marc Lasry and Wes Edens, he's going to be there a long time," Falk said. "While he doesn't have the title, he has the same position as Pat Riley... he's going to make all the decisions. And he's going to be there for a long time because of the relationship with the owners. He's going to be there a long time."

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/david_aldridge/07/06/morning-tip-state-of-free-agency-in-new-nba-world-milwaukee-bucks-greg-monroe-why-los-angeles-lakers-struggle-in-free-agency-qa-luke-ridnour/index.html

Delighted to read that Kidd will be with the Bucks for a long time, I really hope so. Kidd is doing such a great job and has given me confidence that the Bucks can win the championship again.
ajb905
Rookie
And1: 310

Post#348 » by ajb905 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:29 pm

breakchains wrote:
Villanoeyebrows wrote:I'll never forget an article that Woj wrote back in '04 about how Kidd was basically the one who put together that olympic team and made it work. Even Colangelo admitted as much. The takeaway from the article was basically that no one in the league had a better understanding and ability to put a team together, manage egos, get superstars to differ, and assign roles that players would accept than Kidd. And that article confirmed what we had seen from Jason on the court for a decade.

I don't think anyone can be better than average at both jobs (coach and GM). But a great coach can certainly have a right hand man as GM who differs to said coach in some matters. That is how the Spurs do it. So it can work. Doesn't mean it will work here. But I think even with this set up, we are in a 10 times better management and ownership structure than we were under Kohl. I mean, I get the criticism, and I understand how it could all fall apart. But its laughable that some here are freaking out that Hammond is not atop the management pyramid as diagrammed in sophomore year of college management class. Lasry and Edens have turned over all basketball related matters to Kidd, and while rumor has it he can be petty and ego driven... he is also a basketball genius and the purest point guard I have ever seen so I'm going to enjoy where this goes.

This is a good post but I still think it will end poorly on the management side, while still being a really good coach (ala Doc). In a lot of ways, the GM and Coach don't have exactly aligned interests. Coaches tend to think extremely short sighted with a hard focus on the now. They basically have to or they will lose credibility amongst their players. The GM's job is to take a bigger picture view of everything. Unless you have a really smart guy as the coach who can intellectually understand the different needs and issues in both roles (ala Pop and Belichick, who are both high IQ individuals), I think it is almost always doomed to fail.

As a coach, most are wired to win now at all costs and sometimes that is great but doesn't always make sense (say running out the veterans when you want young guys to play). The GM/front office people need to be pushing the longer term when that makes sense and have buy in from the coach. Even in a successful situation, like Bulls and Thibs, the front office and him couldn't see eye to eye and there goes one of the best coaches.

Hard to know what Kidd's ultimate MO is, on whether he has the patience to look past a year or two. Maybe since he isn't a grizzled coaching vet and has had aspirations for GM power, he can learn how to do it right. Assuming he's been pushing a lot of the moves over the past 2 years, some things made sense for a rebuilding team on the upswing IMO (trading Knight even if I disagreed w/ taking MCW over pick, keeping Middleton, clearing Ersan and signing Monroe), while others haven't (trading picks for GV and taking less than that for Dudley).

Again hope if Hammond is out, they can hire someone with similar skill set in that they are good at the draft/scouting but has maybe more power to say no to Kidd if he starts going off the rails like Doc/Van Gundy, etc.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#349 » by Bernman » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:29 pm

Nowak008 wrote:
europa wrote:Hammond's damn lucky he didn't get booted out the door the second the new owners arrived. He got an extreme gift to keep his job.

Exactly.

He should have been shot out of a cannon along with Larry Drew. Hammond is gone if there isn't a huge debacle with Kidd transitioning over to Milwaukee IMO

We're lucky because at least there is still a (albeit meek) voice of a good scout and NBA strategist still in the room, even if he's seldom not being mostly overridden.

But I understand the desire to want to remove all major remnants from the past regime, even if irrational.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#350 » by Bernman » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:33 pm

Which olympic team? The one in 2004 was a hot mess.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#351 » by WRau1 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:36 pm

Fox Sports reporting Kidd as GM now.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Post#352 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:38 pm

WRau1 wrote:Fox Sports reporting Kidd as GM now.

They're just quoting Begel's "report". No new info.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,533

Post#353 » by raferfenix » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:42 pm

More palace intrigue:

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/david_aldridge/07/06/morning-tip-state-of-free-agency-in-new-nba-world-milwaukee-bucks-greg-monroe-why-los-angeles-lakers-struggle-in-free-agency-qa-luke-ridnour/index.html

When Kidd retired as a player, he hired a new agent to represent him for potential coaching jobs: Hal Biagas. He was a former attorney with the National Basketball Players Association who had changed careers in 2009 to represent players and coaches, first working for the powerful Wasserman Sports agency, whose basketball division was headed by the uber-powerful Arn Tellem, and then Schwartz's Excel Sports in 2012. But Schwartz, who also represented players Paul Pierce and Deron Williams in Brooklyn, was still a powerful voice in representing Kidd's interests.

The relationship between Lasry, Kidd and Schwartz -- the latter two close enough to the former to be invited to and attend Lasry's daughter's wedding in 2011 -- led to the out-of-nowhere hire of Kidd as coach of the Nets in 2013. It was a stunning ascension for a former player -- even a great one such as Kidd -- who had retired as a player just nine days before getting the job, a position that most who seek it never reach despite a lifetime's work.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#354 » by worthlessBucks » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:44 pm

Cronyism, it's what's for dinner.
Go Bucks!
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#355 » by WRau1 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:48 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
WRau1 wrote:Fox Sports reporting Kidd as GM now.

They're just quoting Begel's "report". No new info.

Saw that and thought it was weird that they'd still run with it, considering the source.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Bucks_MacGyver
Sixth Man
And1: 339

Post#356 » by Bucks_MacGyver » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:49 pm

Everyone does know Hammond was at the press conference today with Kidd at UW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pe_it72
Senior
And1: 83

Post#357 » by pe_it72 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:57 pm

My hope is that they are giving Kidd an extra title just because around the NBA J-Kidd makes Milwaukee Bucks basketball relevant. I would like to see things internally stay the way they have. John the scout and Jason the talking head of the team.
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#358 » by H2tObes » Mon Jul 6, 2015 8:10 pm

All I've heard is that this report is total BS. Should just lock this thread
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,788

Post#359 » by Baddy Chuck » Mon Jul 6, 2015 8:28 pm

Bucks_MacGyver wrote:Everyone does know Hammond was at the press conference today with Kidd at UW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry Drew was at Jabari's press conference and out of a job a couple days later.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
craig
Senior
And1: 128

Post#360 » by craig » Mon Jul 6, 2015 9:08 pm

break chains wrote:.....Coaches tend to think extremely short sighted with a hard focus on the now. ....

Not sure how this jives with the report of Kidd pushing the draft selection. The win-now coach is driving the draft to select a younger player from smaller conference who's probably less ready now? Not sure Vaughn really fits the story. Either Vaughn's perceived by Kidd as being better and more ready-now than was the general board perception on draft night. Or else perhaps the draft wasn't really pushed in a particularly Nowacrat-over-Buildican direction.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks