KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,074

Re: OT: Music Thread 

Post#1702 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:37 pm

New Strung Out. Not bad.

I'm seeing them for the first time in April. I think they're the only old school punk band from my initial wave of interest in the 90s that I've yet to catch over the last 25-30 years.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,948

Post#1703 » by theFireBlanket » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:36 pm

OT: On topic. Post ASB: D.O.L.L.A.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#1704 » by ackypoo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:28 pm

engelmartin wrote:
engelmartin wrote:

stuart, i like you. youre not like the other people here in the trailer park.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#1705 » by ackypoo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:29 pm

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1706 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Mar 1, 2024 5:56 am

Foreigner should 100% in the HOF. But am I the only one who gets them and Dire Straits mixed up constantly?
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,682

Post#1707 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:27 pm

Finally crossing The National (and The War on Drugs!) off my bucket list this fall. Should be a hulluva show.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#1708 » by stellation » Fri Mar 1, 2024 9:16 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Finally crossing The National (and The War on Drugs!) off my bucket list this fall. Should be a hulluva show.

Excellent! Phenomenal, life changing live band experience.

Heading off with my kid to see them (with Fleet Foxes) tonight, third time seeing them for us. They were going to be in Sydney in early 2020- I had lots of anxiety of "is going to a gig the right thing to do?" with everything that was starting to go on in the world at that time, then it was rescheduled to late 2020 (we were all so naive!) and then eventually cancelled. Such a crazy period to live through, will be hard to not be a bit overwhelmed being there with my kid and feeling like another little bit of a loop closing in a return to some kind of normality.
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1709 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Mar 1, 2024 9:39 pm

I'm finally getting into vinyl a little bit. I picked up about a dozen LPs, all of them part of my no-skip club. Now I just need something to play them on. Anyone have recommendations?
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1710 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:10 pm

stellation wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:Finally crossing The National (and The War on Drugs!) off my bucket list this fall. Should be a hulluva show.

Heading off with my kid to see them (with Fleet Foxes) tonight, third time seeing them for us. They were going to be in Sydney in early 2020- I had lots of anxiety of "is going to a gig the right thing to do?" with everything that was starting to go on in the world at that time, then it was rescheduled to late 2020 (we were all so naive!) and then eventually cancelled. Such a crazy period to live through, will be hard to not be a bit overwhelmed being there with my kid and feeling like another little bit of a loop closing in a return to some kind of normality.

**** me, The National & Fleet Foxes? I could die happy. Robin Pecknold is an angel.
stellation
RealGM

Post#1711 » by stellation » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:25 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I'm finally getting into vinyl a little bit. I picked up about a dozen LPs, all of them part of my no-skip club. Now I just need something to play them on. Anyone have recommendations?

First off- welcome to where your money is going to disappear! :D

I'm currently using the Sony turntable at the link below and it's a great workhorse, it's kind of upper middle of the road and I needed to get something that used bluetooth for now (I'm sure I'll go back to high end later, but it's a future "renovate/rearrange" headache). I'd definitely recommend it, the bluetooth meant I could set it up on the other side of the room from the stereo it plays through so no running cables/hassles with trying to squeeze it in somewhere and the sound quality is pretty good (far better than I expected). It still has traditional RCA output, too, so you can run with cables if you like (have tried, it is a bit better by cables but probably being a bit pedantic). One touch easy pairing that actually works pretty well, I switch between a stereo/bluetooth speaker/headphones (cool if you have decent bluetooth headphones to just be able to go straight to them). I recommended it to a buddy who was getting into vinyl, he's using it with a Sonos Move as his little setup and he loves it (those Move speakers are killer, but pricey).

It has quite a heavy platter- a lot of cheaper ones will have a light platter, maybe not too big a deal with brand new vinyl but the firmer base makes a huge difference when the record is well loved or heavier vinyl made for improved sound (something to look out for with whatever you pick). Also easy to change needle. Looks really good, classic minimalist style and you can have the dust cover on or off.

Also- make sure to get an anti-static brush if you don't have one already to start taking care of them from day one. I don't think you need to go too high end with them, that turntable is automatic (press start, it lines up and drops the needle) and I generally just do one rotation holding the brush in place whilst the arm is lifting.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-PS-LX310BT-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B07PBLD4QN?th=1
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1712 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:32 pm

stellation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I'm finally getting into vinyl a little bit. I picked up about a dozen LPs, all of them part of my no-skip club. Now I just need something to play them on. Anyone have recommendations?

I'm currently using the Sony turntable at the link below and it's a great workhorse, it's kind of upper middle of the road and I needed to get something that used bluetooth for now (I'm sure I'll go back to high end later, but it's a future "renovate/rearrange" headache). I'd definitely recommend it, the bluetooth meant I could set it up on the other side of the room from the stereo it plays through so no running cables/hassles with trying to squeeze it in somewhere and the sound quality is pretty good (far better than I expected). It still has traditional RCA output, too, so you can run with cables if you like (have tried, it is a bit better by cables but probably being a bit pedantic). One touch easy pairing that actually works pretty well, I switch between a stereo/bluetooth speaker/headphones (cool if you have decent bluetooth headphones to just be able to go straight to them).

It has quite a heavy platter- a lot of cheaper ones will have a light platter, maybe not too big a deal with brand new vinyl but the firmer base makes a huge difference when the record is well loved or heavier vinyl made for improved sound (something to look out for with whatever you pick). Also easy to change needle. Looks really good, classic minimalist style and you can have the dust cover on or off.

Man, tell me about it. This is already basically my second most expensive hobby and I've been at it for two days.

Thanks for the recommendation! Just ordered it and it'll be here tomorrow. Now I just gotta find a spot to put it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1713 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:34 pm

It's also highly annoying that my first Must Have album is also apparently hella rare and expensive!
stellation
RealGM

Post#1714 » by stellation » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:37 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
stellation wrote:

**** me, The National & Fleet Foxes? I could die happy. Robin Pecknold is an angel.

Almost every time Fleet Foxes is fed into a playlist for my by Spotify I've thought "that's my kind of thing" and checked who the artist was, but for some reason never started listening to them so would say I don't really know any Fleet Foxes.

I've known for months I'd be seeing them as a support act, and made a conscious decision that I wanted to live in the moment (I'm trying to let myself just slow down and smell the roses in life in general) and get the experience of seeing them live without really knowing anything. I get overly obsessive when listening to a record the first time through and I'm hoping to get that experience live tonight with them, as if I've just walked into a pub and there's a random band playing (who just happen to be this remarkably well regarded band playing music that's very much my kind of thing). Very excited, hoping to be mesmerised.
#FreeChuckDiesel
stellation
RealGM

Post#1715 » by stellation » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:43 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
stellation wrote:

I'm currently using the Sony turntable at the link below and it's a great workhorse, it's kind of upper middle of the road and I needed to get something that used bluetooth for now (I'm sure I'll go back to high end later, but it's a future "renovate/rearrange" headache). I'd definitely recommend it, the bluetooth meant I could set it up on the other side of the room from the stereo it plays through so no running cables/hassles with trying to squeeze it in somewhere and the sound quality is pretty good (far better than I expected). It still has traditional RCA output, too, so you can run with cables if you like (have tried, it is a bit better by cables but probably being a bit pedantic). One touch easy pairing that actually works pretty well, I switch between a stereo/bluetooth speaker/headphones (cool if you have decent bluetooth headphones to just be able to go straight to them).

Man, tell me about it. This is already basically my second most expensive hobby and I've been at it for two days.

Thanks for the recommendation! Just ordered it and it'll be here tomorrow. Now I just gotta find a spot to put it.

Displaying the album cover you're listening to is also a thing, even if it's just you at home alone- I like it, gives you this little bit of pop up art in your house for an hour or so whilst you're listening to the record. There's a gazillion fancy gadgets to use as a stand or wall mount that are cool, but top budget tip is to grab a display plate holder- I have a basic folding one and it works a treat and easy to throw in a drawer when not in use.

You being you, I'm guessing there's a chance you have a recipe book holder somewhere that'd work, too! :D
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1716 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:43 pm

My initial batch of albums, all favorites:

My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge
Heart - S/T
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Live Bullet
Atmosphere - God Loves Ugly
The Offspring - Greatest Hits
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Lorde - Pure Heroin
Strung Out - Twisted By Design
No Use for a Name - More Betterness
Good Riddance - Ballads From the Revolution
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Take a Break

The two that I can't find and/or can't afford are

Thrice - The Alchemy Index vols 1-4
A Fine Frenzy - One Cell in the Sea

But I like my initial batch.
stellation
RealGM

Post#1717 » by stellation » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:48 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:It's also highly annoying that my first Must Have album is also apparently hella rare and expensive!

It definitely gets crazy. Just wait until you start looking at Record Store Day lists. I had all The Cure albums up until Wish, all in good nick... then for Record Store Day they started slowly re-releasing them from the start on heavy weighted vinyl picture discs, at about 100 bucks a pop, and I went in and got the first one and now I'm hundreds and hundreds of dollars deep and I don't really know why (love them, but not exactly my favourite band)! :D
#FreeChuckDiesel
stellation
RealGM

Post#1718 » by stellation » Sat Mar 2, 2024 12:03 am

ReasonablySober wrote:My initial batch of albums, all favorites:

Heart - S/T
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Lorde - Pure Heroin

Great range! Clean your place top to bottom listening to something rocking, do all your chores and errands so you’ve got nothing to pop up in your mind and can let yourself relax- then pour yourself a glass of something delicious and close your eyes and sip it whilst listening to Norah purring to you to come away with her. Ideally early evening with something easy already in the oven.

Absolute bliss. Cuts my pent up anxiety levels in half.
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1719 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 2, 2024 12:25 am

stellation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:My initial batch of albums, all favorites:

Heart - S/T
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Lorde - Pure Heroin

Great range! Clean your place top to bottom listening to something rocking, do all your chores and errands so you’ve got nothing to pop up in your mind and can let yourself relax- then pour yourself a glass of something delicious and close your eyes and sip it whilst listening to Norah purring to you to come away with her. Ideally early evening with something easy already in the oven.

Absolute bliss. Cuts my pent up anxiety levels in half.

Sounds perfect. I just moved a bunch of furniture around and cleared a nice space for the new stand and turntable. It'll comfortably fit my guitar and little amp too.

Apartment vibes went up 225%, I reckon.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1720 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:26 am

stellation wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
stellation wrote:Excellent! Phenomenal, life changing live band experience.

Almost every time Fleet Foxes is fed into a playlist for my by Spotify I've thought "that's my kind of thing" and checked who the artist was, but for some reason never started listening to them so would say I don't really know any Fleet Foxes.

I've known for months I'd be seeing them as a support act, and made a conscious decision that I wanted to live in the moment (I'm trying to let myself just slow down and smell the roses in life in general) and get the experience of seeing them live without really knowing anything. I get overly obsessive when listening to a record the first time through and I'm hoping to get that experience live tonight with them, as if I've just walked into a pub and there's a random band playing (who just happen to be this remarkably well regarded band playing music that's very much my kind of thing). Very excited, hoping to be mesmerised.

I'm so jealous. If you want a little learning experience before the show/won't feel spoiled, here's the one to watch.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks