Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,074

Re: OT: Music Thread 

Post#1721 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:59 am

stellation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I'm finally getting into vinyl a little bit. I picked up about a dozen LPs, all of them part of my no-skip club. Now I just need something to play them on. Anyone have recommendations?

First off- welcome to where your money is going to disappear! :D

I'm currently using the Sony turntable at the link below and it's a great workhorse, it's kind of upper middle of the road and I needed to get something that used bluetooth for now (I'm sure I'll go back to high end later, but it's a future "renovate/rearrange" headache). I'd definitely recommend it, the bluetooth meant I could set it up on the other side of the room from the stereo it plays through so no running cables/hassles with trying to squeeze it in somewhere and the sound quality is pretty good (far better than I expected). It still has traditional RCA output, too, so you can run with cables if you like (have tried, it is a bit better by cables but probably being a bit pedantic). One touch easy pairing that actually works pretty well, I switch between a stereo/bluetooth speaker/headphones (cool if you have decent bluetooth headphones to just be able to go straight to them). I recommended it to a buddy who was getting into vinyl, he's using it with a Sonos Move as his little setup and he loves it (those Move speakers are killer, but pricey).

It has quite a heavy platter- a lot of cheaper ones will have a light platter, maybe not too big a deal with brand new vinyl but the firmer base makes a huge difference when the record is well loved or heavier vinyl made for improved sound (something to look out for with whatever you pick). Also easy to change needle. Looks really good, classic minimalist style and you can have the dust cover on or off.

Also- make sure to get an anti-static brush if you don't have one already to start taking care of them from day one. I don't think you need to go too high end with them, that turntable is automatic (press start, it lines up and drops the needle) and I generally just do one rotation holding the brush in place whilst the arm is lifting.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-PS-LX310BT-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B07PBLD4QN?th=1

I didn't expect audio output to be 90% of my battle in this one but it's become a thing.

I had a nice sound bar stuck in the back of a closet so I tried that out first, and the audio wasn't remotely acceptable.

I'm listening to Bluetooth audio now through my home theater setup and it's really, really good. But I want to be able to dedicate the records to their own independent output so I can listen while also having something like sports playing too.

I've got a Sonos Play 1 not being used. It's old but man I love how it sounds. If I can stick that in a corner by the couches and have it play via Bluetooth that would rule.

There's always headphones and I've got great ones but I'll be honest, part of the reason I'm doing this is impressing ladies when they come over. The coolest chick I've dated played me records on our first date.

Will continue to test and find out the best solution.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#1722 » by ackypoo » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:54 am

new mildlife is great. old mildlife is great. mildlife is great.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1723 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 2, 2024 6:05 am

The Sonos Play 1 is the route I'mma take. I've already got one, it sounds awesome, and I can either buy another on the cheap or trade with one of my siblings for theirs.

While I was testing audio I found out that Jason Cruz from Strung Out has done a side thing and it's ridiculously good. Strung Out has gone country.

chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,677

Post#1724 » by chonestown » Mon Mar 4, 2024 9:14 pm

Oh, a deep dive on "New Miserable Experience." Okay.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/gin-blossoms-new-miserable-experience/

Aged a lot better than most of the era's touchstones.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1725 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Mar 4, 2024 9:34 pm

Perhaps the most remarkable thing about the band’s gutting backstory—aside from the sheer, gobstopping sadness of it all—is how divorced it is from the popular notion of the group. These days the band will talk about Hopkins with any journalist who asks, but no matter how many times or how vividly it’s told, his story never sticks: Every article about his death always presents it as new information, a lurid piece of trivia you never knew about an act you never thought much about. It’s as if the bitter details cut too harshly against their docile image to become lore. If listeners rarely consider them as a tragic band, it’s because it’s much more gratifying to think of them how they’re most widely known—as just the Gin Blossoms, a group unburdened by expectations of coolness or relevance, whose meek demeanor disguises some undeniable riffs, and whose signature earworms, despite decades of exposure, somehow never seem to burn out. Some bands are defined by their tragedies. Others simply carry on in spite of them.

Buddy, I can tell you I have spent a goddamn lifetime thinking about the Gin Blossoms, my original Favorite Band™.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,683

Post#1726 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Mar 4, 2024 10:28 pm

Hey speaking of vinyl! That one's in our collection.

I don't know how anyone can hear the line "You can trust me not to think, and not to sleep around" and not Google where tf it comes from and what "think" really meant. That's what took me down the Gin Blossoms rabbit hole so many years ago.

P.S. If you get a chance to see them at a 90s revival concert, one of said 'wherever meat is charring' venues, you should do it. Fastball was pretty forgettable; Sugar Ray was fun, but I don't really like their music; Gin Blossoms were not showy, but played all the hits and played them great.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#1727 » by crkone » Tue Mar 5, 2024 12:34 am

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#1728 » by engelmartin » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:05 am

KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#1729 » by engelmartin » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:06 am

engelmartin wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#1730 » by stellation » Wed Mar 6, 2024 10:40 pm

The National were amazing, they're always far more rocking/loud live than you might expect. I hate to put art into a subjective/"best" kind of thing- but each time I've seen them I've come away completely overwhelmed and thinking that I'm certain that was the best gig I'd ever seen. They've been mixing up the older songs in the setlist a little bit on this tour, and opened saying this was the night for a few deep cuts- it was just a killer, killer list, I can't believe we got to hear Cherry Tree live. Some nights it looks like they're not always playing both About Today and Vanderlyle, we were lucky to get both (we're 3/3 of shows with getting both!).

They played for well over 2 hours, the show finished with a crowd singalong for Vanderlyle. Someone grabbed some decent footage of it- at first I thought the audio was a little off, there was about 9k people singing in full voice and it doesn't entirely carry over, but then I realised it almost perfectly captures the experience of being there- a hell of a lot of people around, but an amazingly personal/intimate moment.

Runaway
Sea Of Love
Eucalyptus
Demons
Squalor Victoria
Bloodbuzz
Guilty Party
This Is The Last Time
Slow Show
Apartment Story
Sorrow
Conversation 16
Geese
Green Gloves
Cherry Tree
Abel
Deep End
Tour Manager
Carin At The Liquor Store
Rylan (Annie)
England
Fake Empire
About Today
I Need My Girl
Weird Goodbyes
Mr. November
Terrible Love
Vanderlyle

#FreeChuckDiesel
stellation
RealGM

Post#1731 » by stellation » Wed Mar 6, 2024 10:50 pm

Also- going to gigs with your child is a wonderful experience. We first saw The National together 10 years ago, their music/lyrics can cut to the core so deeply and combined with their musicianship/performance it really is just an amazing experience. I hope I'm conveying to my child that it's okay to be emotionally overwhelmed by art, and it's beautiful to share an experience with a community (even if it's an amazingly personal one to you).
#FreeChuckDiesel
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,683

Post#1732 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:06 am

stellation wrote:Also- going to gigs with your child is a wonderful experience. We first saw The National together 10 years ago, their music/lyrics can cut to the core so deeply and combined with their musicianship/performance it really is just an amazing experience. I hope I'm conveying to my child that it's okay to be emotionally overwhelmed by art, and it's beautiful to share an experience with a community (even if it's an amazingly personal one to you).

Was this the concert that had Fleet Foxes with them? If so, what did you think?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1733 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:24 am

Setup's complete. Like it very much.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#1734 » by ackypoo » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:41 am

new drunk mums came out today in full. its great.

stellation
RealGM

Post#1735 » by stellation » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:09 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
stellation wrote:Also- going to gigs with your child is a wonderful experience. We first saw The National together 10 years ago, their music/lyrics can cut to the core so deeply and combined with their musicianship/performance it really is just an amazing experience. I hope I'm conveying to my child that it's okay to be emotionally overwhelmed by art, and it's beautiful to share an experience with a community (even if it's an amazingly personal one to you).

Was this the concert that had Fleet Foxes with them? If so, what did you think?

It sure was. I really enjoyed it, definitely recorgnised a couple of songs but overall most of it was new to me and I'm glad I went down that path. They kind of reminded me of the love child of The Decemberists and Arcade Fire, if maybe Jeff Tweedy was the intimacy supervisor- lots and lots of singing "oooooh" in unison! They played a fairly long set for an opener, and got a standing ovation from about half the crowd. Particularly loved the drummer- was doing a lot behind the kit whilst harmonising with nearly everything. The bass player definitely came across as an extremely intriguing man, too.

Have been working my way through their albums this week, the set was a pretty even spread across them.
#FreeChuckDiesel
stellation
RealGM

Post#1736 » by stellation » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:13 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Image

That looks great, such a sleek modern yet classic piece of kit. :D

#FreeChuckDiesel
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#1737 » by Badgerlander » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:11 pm

Blizzard of Ozz on vinyl was one of my favorite birthday gifts ever, got me hooked on 15 for a penny at columbia house
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,241

Post#1738 » by LUKE23 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:00 pm

stellation wrote:The National were amazing, they're always far more rocking/loud live than you might expect. I hate to put art into a subjective/"best" kind of thing- but each time I've seen them I've come away completely overwhelmed and thinking that I'm certain that was the best gig I'd ever seen. They've been mixing up the older songs in the setlist a little bit on this tour, and opened saying this was the night for a few deep cuts- it was just a killer, killer list, I can't believe we got to hear Cherry Tree live. Some nights it looks like they're not always playing both About Today and Vanderlyle, we were lucky to get both (we're 3/3 of shows with getting both!).

They played for well over 2 hours, the show finished with a crowd singalong for Vanderlyle. Someone grabbed some decent footage of it- at first I thought the audio was a little off, there was about 9k people singing in full voice and it doesn't entirely carry over, but then I realised it almost perfectly captures the experience of being there- a hell of a lot of people around, but an amazingly personal/intimate moment.

Runaway
Sea Of Love
Eucalyptus
Demons
Squalor Victoria
Bloodbuzz
Guilty Party
This Is The Last Time
Slow Show
Apartment Story
Sorrow
Conversation 16
Geese
Green Gloves
Cherry Tree
Abel
Deep End
Tour Manager
Carin At The Liquor Store
Rylan (Annie)
England
Fake Empire
About Today
I Need My Girl
Weird Goodbyes
Mr. November
Terrible Love
Vanderlyle

This is awesome to hear as I just grabbed tickets for them and War on Drugs (one of my top 3 bands) at Breese Stevens in Madison for September. Been listening more to The National lately, really like their sound.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#1739 » by Licensed to Il » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:17 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Image

I think you are really going to enjoy whatever they currently call the record player/vinyl hobby.

In my profession, I have to do a lot of hospital visits. Sometimes its really difficult, watching someone fade or die. Especially observing the grief of the family. So about ten years ago, after these visits, I'd stop off at "Strictly Discs" which is a record shop exactly in the middle of Madison's main three hospitals. There was something therapeutic about bringing something someone had created, in to my home, in the shadow of loss. An addition after a subtraction.

I love that I can hold a record cover/sleeve. I love that most have been owned by 2-3 other people already. I even think the sound carries a layer that digital music doesn't, but I'm probably imagining it.

I know you get in to stuff like marinating meat, making your own sauces, etc. There is something about music on vinyl, and playing with speakers, that fits that vein. The enjoyment is more, because it wasn't so easily consumed. Wish I could explain it better.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,753

Post#1740 » by emunney » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:38 pm

chonestown wrote:Oh, a deep dive on "New Miserable Experience." Okay.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/gin-blossoms-new-miserable-experience/

Aged a lot better than most of the era's touchstones.

I still listen to this album every few months. My wife thinks I'm insane. Which is true enough but not evidenced by listening to Gin Blossoms.

Those are really well-written songs with a unique mix of lyric melancholy, yearning, and completely undeniable pop melodies and structure. Like the article says, they had a substance that a lot of their contemporaries did not: they had something to say.

As St. Randall de Sauvages would say:

Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts

Return to Milwaukee Bucks