ImageImage

OT: Music Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Re: OT: Music Thread 

Post#1681 » by stellation » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:45 am

midranger wrote:I’m going to Extra Innings Fest during spring training and that cat is co-headlining a night with Dave Matthews Band the evening after Chris Stapleton.

Give him a listen, and I’m like “what in the actual ****?”

Like did Gregory Alan Isakov coheadline with Phish the night after Foo Fighters in the 2010? I don’t get it.

Thanks a lot Xi.

:lol:
#FreeChuckDiesel
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,679

Post#1682 » by chonestown » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:07 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Speaking of artists I've never heard of, I see Pitchfork has more or less been shuttered. I hate seeing just about any outlet going under, but I gotta say, I haven't ever seen a single piece of Pitchfork content RT'd onto the timeline. Like, not once in 16 years.

It's a huge loss.

I'm old enough to remember a time when Rolling Stone was the tastemaker. If you've gotten a whiff of Jan Wenner's comments over the past year, marinate on that. Rap got the back of the hand, electronic music wasn't covered, and it had devolved into more of a marketing vehicle than a place for discovery.

The Sunday re-consideration series was Pitchfork at its best, and when it indulged long-form pieces, it was great more often than not. Conde Nast brought about an increasing emphasis on video (fking pivot to video my ass) and a depressing chase for virality. Straight through, it was a daily stop for me. Four reviews every day! When I was in HS and reading Rolling Stone, this was the section I went straight to. Rolling Stone might shoehorn in 10 reviews in every bi-weekly issues. With P-Fork, you'd get 8-10X the amount. Unreal.

I like reading well-considered words and original thought, so this bums me out.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#1683 » by M-C-G » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:10 pm

Any of you do Crash My Playa? Think I’m going to make that happen next year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#1684 » by machu46 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:42 am

midranger wrote:Can anyone explain Noah Kahan’s popularity to me?

Man he got algorithmed super hard at my wife and I on our joint Spotify account. She is absolutely hooked now. I like some of his music but it’s not REALLY my jam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#1685 » by machu46 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:47 am

Been sleeping on them, but after realizing Danger Mouse produced a bunch of my favorite recent albums, I discovered his band with the lead singer of The Shins, called Broken Bells. I definitely remember one of their songs from a video game back in the day and I’ve been binging the **** out of their albums and love all of them.

https://youtu.be/uhBewKu80Mg?si=RZMZKOntmfcyq6ei

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
ejn1214
Pro Prospect
And1: 682

Post#1686 » by ejn1214 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:19 am

ReasonablySober wrote:My top five was predictable until it wasn't.

1 - Sleep Token (100%, obvious)
2 - Bad Omens (ditto)
3 - Miranda Lambert (not this year)
4 - Atmosphere (I think I had a two day stretch where I binged their oldest stuff)
5 - PVRIS (I don't remember liking her current stuff)

I'll be interested in seeing what my Youtube list looks like. I generally listen to that at work. My guess is my top five are Sleep Token, Bad Omens, Deftones, Alice in Chains, and The Menzingers.

I don't mean offense, but I figured you were relatively old. How are your two favorites tik Tok famous with an average fan age of probably 16 years old.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Post#1687 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:23 am

ejn1214 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:My top five was predictable until it wasn't.

1 - Sleep Token (100%, obvious)
2 - Bad Omens (ditto)
3 - Miranda Lambert (not this year)
4 - Atmosphere (I think I had a two day stretch where I binged their oldest stuff)
5 - PVRIS (I don't remember liking her current stuff)

I'll be interested in seeing what my Youtube list looks like. I generally listen to that at work. My guess is my top five are Sleep Token, Bad Omens, Deftones, Alice in Chains, and The Menzingers.

I don't mean offense, but I figured you were relatively old. How are your two favorites tik Tok famous with an average fan age of probably 16 years old.

Never used Tiktok. I heard them on the radio.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,034

Post#1688 » by midranger » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:24 am

M-C-G wrote:Any of you do Crash My Playa? Think I’m going to make that happen next year

Haven’t done Crash My Playa, but I’ve done a few Moon Palace weeks for other acts. It’s a great experience. They’ve gotten progressively bigger and bigger with the post covid travel boom. I’d say the popularity has diminished the intimate feel of being right up next to the stage, but if you love the band and vibes surrounding the fan community, it’s really tough to beat.

Moon Palace is a very nice resort. Great pools, good restaurants, etc… it’s not quite that elite level all inclusive, but next tier. Golf course is nice and challenging. You may get a credit for golf or spa through the event. The venue is right outside Sunrise. I’d stay there, just for easy walk back post show. Nizuc is probably a 10-15 minute walk. Grand is probably 20-30. Grand give some extra perks (for a price), but I wouldn’t want to stay there. I also would not stay off property if the event has that option unless if you really just want to see the show and not be around as many other fans the rest of the day. I find that yo be a lot of the fun.

Edit: it is expensive as hell. Like 2-3x staying at Moon Palace on a non-show week. If you’re looking to get the “flavor” of the event, just book the week of the event before they announce it. You’ll get the regular price. You won’t get to enter the concert venue, but you can sit right outside of it and hear it fine. Or they’ve had projector screens on the main ground live streaming it for people not in attendance. Still get to spend the days in the pool with the fan community.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#1689 » by M-C-G » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:31 pm

midranger wrote:
M-C-G wrote:Any of you do Crash My Playa? Think I’m going to make that happen next year

Haven’t done Crash My Playa, but I’ve done a few Moon Palace weeks for other acts. It’s a great experience. They’ve gotten progressively bigger and bigger with the post covid travel boom. I’d say the popularity has diminished the intimate feel of being right up next to the stage, but if you love the band and vibes surrounding the fan community, it’s really tough to beat.

Moon Palace is a very nice resort. Great pools, good restaurants, etc… it’s not quite that elite level all inclusive, but next tier. Golf course is nice and challenging. You may get a credit for golf or spa through the event. The venue is right outside Sunrise. I’d stay there, just for easy walk back post show. Nizuc is probably a 10-15 minute walk. Grand is probably 20-30. Grand give some extra perks (for a price), but I wouldn’t want to stay there. I also would not stay off property if the event has that option unless if you really just want to see the show and not be around as many other fans the rest of the day. I find that yo be a lot of the fun.

Edit: it is expensive as hell. Like 2-3x staying at Moon Palace on a non-show week. If you’re looking to get the “flavor” of the event, just book the week of the event before they announce it. You’ll get the regular price. You won’t get to enter the concert venue, but you can sit right outside of it and hear it fine. Or they’ve had projector screens on the main ground live streaming it for people not in attendance. Still get to spend the days in the pool with the fan community.

Thanks, given we ended up not doing our 10 year anniversary trip, I think I'm willing to pay up for the full experience, but that is a great suggestion if we ever want to go back.
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#1690 » by engelmartin » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:40 am

put that on everything

KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
engelmartin
Assistant Coach

Post#1691 » by engelmartin » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:44 am

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1692 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:23 am

Rollingstone named that the #1 R&B song of the 21st century. They were wrong. It's "Yeah!".
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Post#1693 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:24 pm

midranger wrote:I’m going to Extra Innings Fest during spring training and that cat is co-headlining a night with Dave Matthews Band the evening after Chris Stapleton.

Like did Gregory Alan Isakov coheadline with Phish the night after Foo Fighters in the 2010? I don’t get it.

Thanks a lot Xi.
I live in AZ so have attended in the past. Tempe Town Lake is a cool place to do a festival although I never understood why they don't flip flop the main and secondary stages.

Really weird line up this year maybe because they stretched it to two weekends instead of one.

I decided last year while sitting in the rain and cold that I was getting go damn old for all day festivals lol

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,034

Post#1694 » by midranger » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:01 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Thanks a lot Xi.
I live in AZ so have attended in the past. Tempe Town Lake is a cool place to do a festival although I never understood why they don't flip flop the main and secondary stages.

Really weird line up this year maybe because they stretched it to two weekends instead of one.

I decided last year while sitting in the rain and cold that I was getting go damn old for all day festivals lol

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app

Yeah. My sitter situation fell though. So we’re having to sit it out. I’ve got two wristbands if anyone wants them. Would let them go at 50% cost.

We WILL be at Bourbon and Beyond in September though. That lineup is insane.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1695 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Feb 4, 2024 11:27 pm

God the Grammys are a disaster.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#1696 » by vital_signs » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:03 pm

I never pay attention to the grammys but caught a tad. 1) Miley Cyrus looks like she's been hit by a truck 2) Killer Mike winning was well deserved. Easily my favorite album from last year.

But oof, Miley.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#1697 » by stellation » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:15 am

Major old goth/sad dad dilemma approaching- The Damned and Wilco are both playing in Sydney on the same night next month.
#FreeChuckDiesel
engelmartin
Assistant Coach

Post#1698 » by engelmartin » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:15 am

engelmartin
Assistant Coach

Post#1699 » by engelmartin » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:26 am