2016 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,336

Re: RE: Re: 2016 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1741 » by HKPackFan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:18 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:And that was I knew how it was going to end before I bought the tickets. In fact everybody knew how it was going to end if they watched Episode 4. Just hard to get emotionally invested in the characters at that point

That was pretty much my thing as well. It's not so much a question of what happens, but how. So much as you can, I liked the how. I thought everything was earned.

Still liked the movie, gonna make a for a good weekend cable channel stop in a couple years.

Spoiler:
Ya, of course we know all the main characters die. But watching their sacrifice was extremely exciting for me, I actually want to see Episode 4 again because I feel this one added so much more weight to the original. I can appreciate their sacrifice and the Rebel's desperation a lot more seeing how they got to this moment.

Also it was tons of fun watching Gold Leader & Red Leader & Wedge all fighting (I think I saw Dak too), that kind of stuff is so much fun. Or seeing Red 5 get blown up, of course I'm grinning ear to ear (oh so that's how Luke gets the callsign Red 5). And Darth Vader is such a frightening persona across the galaxy, and WE FINALLY SEE WHY. OMG I need to rewatch it just for the scene alone.

Again for me it made the story of A New Hope much richer, how many people died to get that message into little old R2D2. And seeing the individuals and putting a face to their sacrifices, and watching their desperate journey for me was very gratifying. It just helps answser how a little Rebellion was able to go up against the all powerful Empire and helps show it was truly a sliver of hope.
#FreeChuckDiesel
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,171

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2016 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1742 » by RRyder823 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:47 pm

HKPackFan wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:And that was I knew how it was going to end before I bought the tickets. In fact everybody knew how it was going to end if they watched Episode 4. Just hard to get emotionally invested in the characters at that point

That was pretty much my thing as well. It's not so much a question of what happens, but how. So much as you can, I liked the how. I thought everything was earned.

Still liked the movie, gonna make a for a good weekend cable channel stop in a couple years.

Spoiler:
Ya, of course we know all the main characters die. But watching their sacrifice was extremely exciting for me, I actually want to see Episode 4 again because I feel this one added so much more weight to the original. I can appreciate their sacrifice and the Rebel's desperation a lot more seeing how they got to this moment.

Also it was tons of fun watching Gold Leader & Red Leader & Wedge all fighting (I think I saw Dak too), that kind of stuff is so much fun. Or seeing Red 5 get blown up, of course I'm grinning ear to ear (oh so that's how Luke gets the callsign Red 5). And Darth Vader is such a frightening persona across the galaxy, and WE FINALLY SEE WHY. OMG I need to rewatch it just for the scene alone.

Again for me it made the story of A New Hope much richer, how many people died to get that message into little old R2D2. And seeing the individuals and putting a face to their sacrifices, and watching their desperate journey for me was very gratifying. It just helps answser how a little Rebellion was able to go up against the all powerful Empire and helps show it was truly a sliver of hope.

Well yeah. I agree with all that. Was just saying knowing that took away something from the movie for me.

Not that I didn't enjoy it. I did

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,072

Re: 2016 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1743 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:35 pm

Yea, I'm gonna be watching the **** outta this.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,327

Post#1744 » by El Duderino » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:49 am

HKPackFan wrote:
freewhitemoon wrote:Saw Rogue One yesterday, not very creative plot but good movie overall. 7.5/10

Loved Rogue One, saw it at the Imax last night. Thought it was fun and entertaining and a little gritty at times. 8.75/10. Loved all the little tie ins.

You are a high grader

I saw it today with my brother and literally found myself struggling to not fall asleep. Like the last Star Wars, to long and dawn out. About 30 minutes of both versions could have been condensed out, including some of that final never ending battle over the Death Star. In my head i kept thinking, blow the damn thing up already so i can be done with this movie before i fall asleep and start drooling on myself. Only the scenes involving Darth Vader were very compelling to me.

Then again, maybe it's because i'm not a Star Wars junkie. I've seen them all, but it's been awhile since i really enjoyed one, so if anymore get made, i'll probably just pass.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#1745 » by HKPackFan » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:08 am

El Duderino wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:
freewhitemoon wrote:Saw Rogue One yesterday, not very creative plot but good movie overall. 7.5/10

Loved Rogue One, saw it at the Imax last night. Thought it was fun and entertaining and a little gritty at times. 8.75/10. Loved all the little tie ins.

You are a high grader

I saw it today with my brother and literally found myself struggling to not fall asleep. Like the last Star Wars, to long and dawn out. About 30 minutes of both versions could have been condensed out, including some of that final never ending battle over the Death Star. In my head i kept thinking, blow the damn thing up already so i can be done with this movie before i fall asleep and start drooling on myself. Only the scenes involving Darth Vader were very compelling to me.

Then again, maybe it's because i'm not a Star Wars junkie. I've seen them all, but it's been awhile since i really enjoyed one, so if anymore get made, i'll probably just pass.

Ya I should have started out by saying I'm a junkie. So little tie ins that connect the prequels and originals get me all orgasmic.

Could also be the prequels lowered the bar so now this one looks so much better.
#FreeChuckDiesel
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,327

Post#1746 » by El Duderino » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:17 am

I kinda think technology of today in making movies has made these newer Star Wars worse and not better even though intuitively you'd think it would make a movie series type like this a lot better. IMO it ends up making the CGI more the star of the movie instead of the characters and plot. Hence the super long Death Star battle.

I see this in other movies. The technology is so advanced and so tempting to use that it can easily be abused. For a pointless movie series like say Transformers, it get going over the top with CGI given there isn't any expectation for substance other than the CGI optics. It's the same with so many of these comic book adaptation movies. Most end up boring me to death half way in because the movies are almost entirely about the action scenes. So i've stopped watching them.

Now when i see any movie trailer and the the bulk of it is CGI or a dumb looking action movie with the lead character spouting out corny i'm a bad assss lines,instantly bookmark them in my head as never see movies. Basically any movie involving the Rock or Vin Diesel. The Rock did a a cool bit part though in a comedy called The Other Guys.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,935

Post#1747 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:59 pm

RIP Carrie Fisher. 2016 delivers one final kick to the balls. ****
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#1748 » by tski1972 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:00 pm

Carrie Fisher has passed.

RIP Princess Leia.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1749 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:11 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:RIP Carrie Fisher. 2016 delivers one final kick to the balls. ****

Nonsense. There's still five days left for 2016 to **** with all of us.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#1750 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:14 pm

Seriously wonder how big of a wrench this throws in Ep VIII (I'm assuming IX will be fine because they'll just kill her off in VIII). We may be seeing some more face CGI like we saw in Rogue One.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1751 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:57 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Seriously wonder how big of a wrench this throws in Ep VIII (I'm assuming IX will be fine because they'll just kill her off in VIII). We may be seeing some more face CGI like we saw in Rogue One.

Shooting for VIII wrapped in July. So it's IX that they're gonna need to deal with.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#1752 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:04 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Seriously wonder how big of a wrench this throws in Ep VIII (I'm assuming IX will be fine because they'll just kill her off in VIII). We may be seeing some more face CGI like we saw in Rogue One.

Shooting for VIII wrapped in July. So it's IX that they're gonna need to deal with.

Oh I didn't know that, interesting. Maybe they killed her off in VIII and its all moot.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1753 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:06 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Oh I didn't know that, interesting. Maybe they killed her off in VIII and its all moot.

Spoiler:
She was set to appear in IX, so my guess is no. But I do wonder now if they go back for a re-shoot and kill her off-screen in VIII.
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#1754 » by engelmartin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:05 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

Yea, I'm gonna be watching the **** outta this.

I will also be watching this.
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#1755 » by HKPackFan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:40 am

I saw the 2D version of passengers. I thought it was a bit slow to build up. I like the story and concept but man seemed forever to build the love story and all. I thought it had more action, guessing trailer lead me astray.

I would put this in the watch at home or plane movie bracket. Home probably better because the space views are nice.

Sometimes trailers mess with expectations, not a lot of action, it's a very slow build. Cool idea though.

2.5 out of 5.
#FreeChuckDiesel
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,490

Post#1756 » by SupremeHustle » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:36 am

HKPackFan wrote:I saw the 2D version of passengers. I thought it was a bit slow to build up. I like the story and concept but man seemed forever to build the love story and all. I thought it had more action, guessing trailer lead me astray.

I would put this in the watch at home or plane movie bracket. Home probably better because the space views are nice.

Sometimes trailers mess with expectations, not a lot of action, it's a very slow build. Cool idea though.

2.5 out of 5.

That's too bad. The script I read for it back in the day was amazing.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#1757 » by HKPackFan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:50 am

SupremeHustle wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:I saw the 2D version of passengers. I thought it was a bit slow to build up. I like the story and concept but man seemed forever to build the love story and all. I thought it had more action, guessing trailer lead me astray.

2.5 out of 5.

That's too bad. The script I read for it back in the day was amazing.

I liked the story, the concept, the ethical dilemma, and the idea of how to live your life. They were all pretty cool things to ponder, but the trailer looked pretty action packed, so my expectations were very different.
#FreeChuckDiesel
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,847

Post#1758 » by VooDoo7 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:56 am

Goodnight, sweet princess. :(
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#1759 » by HKPackFan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:39 am

VooDoo7 wrote:Goodnight, sweet princess. :(

#FreeChuckDiesel
Triple 7
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#1760 » by Triple 7 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:04 am

Watched the pilot of Nobel on Netflix, like the premise so far. The majority of the show is subtitles due to it being Norwegian. Political/military action-ish drama. Smart dialogue. Will keep watching.
"Is he not unique? No one plays like this guy. This guy is the new guy. This is the new form."
- George Karl on Giannis

Return to Milwaukee Bucks