RealGM
And1: 17,190

Re: Malcolm Brogdon Developmental Thread 

Post#361 » by skones » Fri Jan 6, 2017 4:15 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
skones wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Lowe:

Alright, don't kill me. But...

Should the Bucks think about cashing in on Brogdon? He's ideal for this team and he's been playing great. But if he could be the main chip (with, say, a protected pick) to bring back an available top 40ish player, do you do it? I'm thinking Favors.

No chance he has that value.

What is his value, do you think?

I mean we're 30+ games into his rookie year, he doesn't have any until the end of this season with a full body of work under his belt. Otherwise teams risk too much going wrong given the limited sample size, particularly as it pertains to his ability to knock down the 3. Brogdon is also a year and a half younger than Favors who's been in the league for some time. His perceived upside is limited.

His value is "not worth trading because it's not going to be suitable return," unless he's a kicker to push a larger deal through that sways greatly in our direction.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#362 » by Rockmaninoff » Fri Jan 6, 2017 4:27 pm

Is Favors really valuable? Seems like a good all around player, but is he really impactful? Is impactful a made up word? Is Utah facing George Hill / Gordon Hayward / Joe Ingles cap hell unless they can move Favors or Burks?
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,045

Post#363 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 6, 2017 4:29 pm

skones wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
skones wrote:
No chance he has that value.

I mean we're 30+ games into his rookie year, he doesn't have any until the end of this season with a full body of work under his belt. Otherwise teams risk too much going wrong given the limited sample size, particularly as it pertains to his ability to knock down the 3. Brogdon is also a year and a half younger than Favors who's been in the league for some time. His perceived upside is limited.

His value is "not worth trading because it's not going to be suitable return," unless he's a kicker to push a larger deal through that sways greatly in our direction.

If he keeps getting starter minutes, and I hope he does, he'll start accumulating the counting stats that tend to make people suddenly pay attention.

I don't love the stat, but right now he's sandwiched between Wesley Matthews and Tyler Johnson in ESPN's Real +/-, and ahead of DeRozan.

His value comes from being a good two way player right now AND being dirt cheap for the next 2.5 seasons.
skones
RealGM

Post#364 » by skones » Fri Jan 6, 2017 4:35 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
skones wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

If he keeps getting starter minutes, and I hope he does, he'll start accumulating the counting stats that tend to make people suddenly pay attention.

I don't love the stat, but right now he's sandwiched between Wesley Matthews and Tyler Johnson in ESPN's Real +/-, and ahead of DeRozan.

His value comes from being a good two way player right now AND being dirt cheap for the next 2.5 seasons.

And his lack of value comes from being "unproven." If that three point percentage starts to take a nosedive, he's not nearly as valuable, and that will be the trepidation amongst potential trade partners.

With that being said, good two way player AND being dirt cheap is EXACTLY what we need with the Henson and Plumlee BS on our roster.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#365 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 6, 2017 4:38 pm

skones wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
skones wrote:

And his lack of value comes from being "unproven." If that three point percentage starts to take a nosedive, he's not nearly as valuable, and that will be the trepidation amongst potential trade partners.

I don't really buy this with Brogdon. A 19 or 20 year old on a hot streak, sure. But everyone knew Brogdon was NBA ready. His play has simply confirmed what people thought of him at UVA.

You're right, the percentages can definitely dive and take away some of the shine. But it's all the more reason to keep feeding him to the wolves.
skones
RealGM

Post#366 » by skones » Fri Jan 6, 2017 4:40 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
skones wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I don't really buy this with Brogdon. A 19 or 20 year old on a hot streak, sure. But everyone knew Brogdon was NBA ready. His play has simply confirmed what people thought of him at UVA.

You're right, the percentages can definitely dive and take away some of the shine. But it's all the more reason to keep feeding him to the wolves.

Confirmation that he was indeed NBA ready is not equal to top 40 player.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#367 » by M-C-G » Fri Jan 6, 2017 4:45 pm

skones wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
skones wrote:

Wait, did you think he meant Brog Dog for Favors straight up?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#368 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 6, 2017 4:47 pm

M-C-G wrote:
skones wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Right. By virtue of salaries alone there'd need to be more assets, and probably 1st round pick(s).

But Favors has been injured, he's got only one year left on his deal, and Utah probably won't be able to pay everyone. I don't know what Favors's value is. But a good starting spot is a young, cheap, quality two-way player.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,686

Post#369 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Jan 6, 2017 4:57 pm

Not a huge fan of Favors either way, and especially not on only a contract signed through next year. Never been super efficient. Never been an elite rim-protector or defender. And I think he's way more of a PF than a C.

I don't think he's a player that "moves the needle" nearly as much as some people like to believe he does, and Utah seems to be having their best season in years (22-15) with him missing games, and averaging career lows in efficiency, and numbers across the board. Only validates my suspicions/criticisms.
skones
RealGM

Post#370 » by skones » Fri Jan 6, 2017 5:02 pm

M-C-G wrote:
skones wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

He explicitly states "main chip" (ie best asset) meaning Brogdon is the main event in a deal for Favors. It's not "I think," it's what he said.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#371 » by M-C-G » Fri Jan 6, 2017 5:09 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Not a huge fan of Favors either way, and especially not on only a contract signed through next year. Never been super efficient. Never been an elite rim-protector or defender. And I think he's way more of a PF than a C.

I don't think he's a player that "moves the needle" nearly as much as some people like to believe he does, and Utah seems to be having their best season in years (22-15) with him missing games, and averaging career lows in efficiency, and numbers across the board. Only validates my suspicions/criticisms.

I mean, last three season above TS .55, not sure I agree with that argument. The main argument I can see that he is a PF is because he plays on a team with Rudy Gobert. Of the two, Rudy certainly wasn't making the move to PF. And this year, when we had a Jazz fan chime in, he was playing hurt and was not playing well.

Anyway, I don't really want to trade Brog Dog anyway, but like I said, Favors is one of the guys I would be interested in if we did (would rather find another way to get him though)
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#372 » by M-C-G » Fri Jan 6, 2017 5:11 pm

skones wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
skones wrote:

He explicitly states "main chip" (ie best asset) meaning Brogdon is the main event in a deal for Favors. It's not "I think," it's what he said.

Yeah, I glossed over the "main chip" piece and figured it was a 1st, Brog and something to get the deal done. I'd be interested but like I said, I am pretty damn happy keeping him here.
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#373 » by BuckHole » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:02 am

Question: Who was the last Buck rookie, in your opinion, that has performed as well as Brogdon?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,285

Post#374 » by HKPackFan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:47 am

BuckHole wrote:Question: Who was the last Buck rookie, in your opinion, that has performed as well as Brogdon?

Ray Allen? (obviously not in the same way).
#FreeChuckDiesel
buckbeer
Bench Warmer
And1: 874

Post#375 » by buckbeer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:55 am

Yes Ray Allen, to me he's the best Bucks rookie since Ray Allen.

So glad that president Brogdon remains the starter, to me he's part of the Bucks core together with Giannis, Jabari and Khris.
skones
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Malcolm Brogdon Developmental Thread 

Post#376 » by skones » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:03 am

BuckHole wrote:Question: Who was the last Buck rookie, in your opinion, that has performed as well as Brogdon?

TJ Ford maybe? A Jennings argument could be made as well for what he gave that team in spurts.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using RealGM mobile app
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,285

Re: RE: Re: Malcolm Brogdon Developmental Thread 

Post#377 » by HKPackFan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:05 am

skones wrote:

TJ Ford maybe? A Jennings argument could be made as well for what he gave that team in spurts.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using RealGM mobile app

I was also thinking about TJ Ford but couldn't remember when he got hurt. That whole decade is becoming one sad blur after 2001.
#FreeChuckDiesel
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#378 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:58 am

TJ Ford is the last rookie we had who contributed to meaningful wins as a rookie like Malcolm is doing.

ETA:TJ went down in February of his rookie year. And that was it until he returned 18 months later.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,812

Post#379 » by Prez » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:03 am

This dude has saved our season and it can't be stated enough. Without him we'd be relying on Delly as our sole guard playmaker/creator. That's messing with my head. Brogdon being ready to play from day 1 has completely altered the outlook of our season.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,960

Post#380 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:04 am

Change you can Broglieve in.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis

Return to Milwaukee Bucks