ImageImage

2017 NBA Draft Thread - Lotto watch? MAYBE.

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,734

Re: 2017 NBA Draft Thread - LOTTO WATCH TIME, FELLAS. 

Post#121 » by emunney » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:22 pm

Lonzo Ball is awesome.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#122 » by LuessiT » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:33 pm

machu46 wrote:How does Bam's measureables compare to other NBA C's? I believe he was measured at 6'9" w/o shoes, 6'10" with, and a 7'1.5" wingspan. Obviously we have too much money invested in centers at the moment anyways, and we're still hopeful of what Thon could develop into, but a guy with the physical presence that Bam could potentially provide would be nice IMO.

If one of the elite PG prospects fall to our slot, I think we'll probably have to take them even if they aren't a great shooter. But I could see us being interested in:

The PGs
Bam
Bolden

And in the 10-14ish range:
Monk
Tyler Lydon
Omer Yurtsevin (though his wingspan doesn't fit our MO)
Terrence Ferguson

Depending where our draft pick will end up, I like guys like Allen, Markkanen, Bryant or even Jeanne much more than Bam for us. Feel like rim protection or outside shooting is more important than explosiveness on offense.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#123 » by machu46 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:43 pm

LuessiT wrote:
machu46 wrote:How does Bam's measureables compare to other NBA C's? I believe he was measured at 6'9" w/o shoes, 6'10" with, and a 7'1.5" wingspan. Obviously we have too much money invested in centers at the moment anyways, and we're still hopeful of what Thon could develop into, but a guy with the physical presence that Bam could potentially provide would be nice IMO.

If one of the elite PG prospects fall to our slot, I think we'll probably have to take them even if they aren't a great shooter. But I could see us being interested in:

The PGs
Bam
Bolden

And in the 10-14ish range:
Monk
Tyler Lydon
Omer Yurtsevin (though his wingspan doesn't fit our MO)
Terrence Ferguson

Depending where our draft pick will end up, I like guys like Allen, Markkanen, Bryant or even Jeanne much more than Bam for us. Feel like rim protection or outside shooting is more important than explosiveness on offense.

All intriguing prospects, but I feel like 3 of the 4 would just be another relatively skinny big man that can get pushed around like Henson and Thon. The one outlier there is Bryant. Being from Rochester, I've followed him very closely. Great college player, but I think he's going to have a very hard time making it in the NBA. I think he'll struggle mightily against NBA athletes.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#124 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:49 pm

emunney wrote:Lonzo Ball is awesome.

He made some tremendous plays, but we didn't get a good look at his jump shot - which apparently needs a make-over. If that remains the case, there's an awful lot of similarities between him and MCW. He's probably better than MCW, but PG's need a jump shot in the NBA. Fultz... sure looks like the #1 prospect to me.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,415

Post#125 » by MiltownHawkeye » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:49 pm

Malik Monk has a 45" vertical? :o
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,686

Post#126 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:55 pm

Monk is gonna shoot up draft boards soon enough. Maybe it's the Kentucky connection, but he looks like a slightly poorer man's John Wall.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#127 » by LuessiT » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:20 pm

I'm worried about Monks BBIQ. If that's not a worry, he's a great prospect.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,734

Post#128 » by emunney » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:20 pm

Ruzious wrote:

He made some tremendous plays, but we didn't get a good look at his jump shot - which apparently needs a make-over. If that remains the case, there's an awful lot of similarities between him and MCW. He's probably better than MCW, but PG's need a jump shot in the NBA. Fultz... sure looks like the #1 prospect to me.

Fultz does look like the early favorite. As for Ball, I'm fine with his jumper. It is low and weird but he gets it off quick, it's a single motion and there's not much nonsense to it. I think he's on par with this year's non-Fultz guard prospects overall. I just happen to enjoy his game more than theirs.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MilHammer
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

Post#129 » by MilHammer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:54 am

Ruzious wrote:

I live relatively close to Chino Hills (where Ball is from), and there's been a lot of buzz about this kid since high school, and it has only grown since his decision to go to UCLA. That being said, his jumper is broken. Tons of athleticism obviously, and overall his bball IQ seems to be pretty high, but the lack of a jumper worries me.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#130 » by LuessiT » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:41 am

Realisticly we have to draft somewhere between 6 and 10 to get Frank Ntilikina. Can we do it?
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,787

Post#131 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:17 am

LuessiT wrote:Realisticly we have to draft somewhere between 6 and 10 to get Frank Ntilikina. Can we do it?

Easy.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,240

Post#132 » by LUKE23 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:47 pm

If Anunoby keeps up the 3 point shooting he's a really intriguing prospect.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,284

Post#133 » by HKPackFan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:17 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
LuessiT wrote:Realisticly we have to draft somewhere between 6 and 10 to get Frank Ntilikina. Can we do it?

Easy.

The Kidd and Hammond connection. Making lottery dreams come true.
#FreeChuckDiesel
nmeurett
Bench Warmer
And1: 212

Post#134 » by nmeurett » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:15 pm

Give me Dennis Smith Jr all day every day! Kid is the 2nd coming of Chris Paul.
Douggystyle29
Junior
And1: 37

Post#135 » by Douggystyle29 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:21 am

LUKE23 wrote:If Anunoby keeps up the 3 point shooting he's a really intriguing prospect.

I absolutely agree. I watched him play last year, and he is an absolute freak athlete, and an outstanding defender IMO. If he has added a 3 pointer I would have absolutely no problems with us taking him in the 10-20 range. I also love Monk and Adebayo. Adebayo is also super athletic and really physical. There's no doubt in my mind he will be a very good defender and above average shot blocker He reminds me of a combination of Biyombo and Howard. He also seems to have a respectable jump shot. Monk seems to be a lights out athlete and an elite three point shooter. He would be an undersized sg in the NBA though. I would be extremely excited if we got Anunoby, Adebayo, or Monk on draft day. I think all three have the potential to become top tier of players in this draft and most likely will be available in the 10-20 range. This draft is ridiculously loaded.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,043

Post#136 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:12 pm

It’s Time for These NBA Teams to Bottom Out

The Bucks weren’t unlike the Kings too long ago, but now they’re one of the rising teams in the NBA because they weren’t too proud to bottom out. Milwaukee struck gold by adding Giannis Antetokounmpo and Khris Middleton in 2013, but couldn’t have solidified its core with Jabari Parker without finishing with the worst record in the NBA in the 2013–14 season. The team has its building blocks, but they’re still one elite player short of becoming an actual contender. Unfortunately, they don’t have the cap space or assets to add one through free agency or the trading market unless they surrendered a core player. Thus, the six-month recovery time on Middleton’s hamstring injury creates a unique opportunity in which Milwaukee could shut him down and tank to obtain mid-to-high lottery odds. This is their last chance to do so, since they won’t be in a position to think about it when Middleton is back next season. “Otherwise they risk what Cleveland went through early in LeBron’s career,” a team executive told me. “LeBron became a star too fast and they never had high enough picks to find other stars to pair with him.”

The Cleveland comparison is an interesting one. Imagine if instead of drafting Luke Jackson 10th in 2004, the Cavaliers ended up with Luol Deng, or even Dwight Howard by virtue of having a higher pick. In an alternative reality, maybe LeBron never leaves Cleveland if they didn’t contend for the playoffs so quickly. Antetokounmpo isn’t on LeBron’s level at the same age, but Milwaukee arguably has more overall talent than those young Cleveland teams did, and they could add another potential star on a rookie contract if they finish off this season aiming for 28 wins instead of 35.

Tanking feels dirty. It tastes sour. No one likes to lose. But when a team does it right, it sets itself up for years of sustainable success. For teams on the borderline, there’s no better time than the present to consider it. There should be no shame in going down that path if it’s in the name of winning.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#137 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:17 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:It’s Time for These NBA Teams to Bottom Out

The Bucks weren’t unlike the Kings too long ago, but now they’re one of the rising teams in the NBA because they weren’t too proud to bottom out. Milwaukee struck gold by adding Giannis Antetokounmpo and Khris Middleton in 2013, but couldn’t have solidified its core with Jabari Parker without finishing with the worst record in the NBA in the 2013–14 season. The team has its building blocks, but they’re still one elite player short of becoming an actual contender. Unfortunately, they don’t have the cap space or assets to add one through free agency or the trading market unless they surrendered a core player. Thus, the six-month recovery time on Middleton’s hamstring injury creates a unique opportunity in which Milwaukee could shut him down and tank to obtain mid-to-high lottery odds. This is their last chance to do so, since they won’t be in a position to think about it when Middleton is back next season. “Otherwise they risk what Cleveland went through early in LeBron’s career,” a team executive told me. “LeBron became a star too fast and they never had high enough picks to find other stars to pair with him.”

The Cleveland comparison is an interesting one. Imagine if instead of drafting Luke Jackson 10th in 2004, the Cavaliers ended up with Luol Deng, or even Dwight Howard by virtue of having a higher pick. In an alternative reality, maybe LeBron never leaves Cleveland if they didn’t contend for the playoffs so quickly. Antetokounmpo isn’t on LeBron’s level at the same age, but Milwaukee arguably has more overall talent than those young Cleveland teams did, and they could add another potential star on a rookie contract if they finish off this season aiming for 28 wins instead of 35.

Tanking feels dirty. It tastes sour. No one likes to lose. But when a team does it right, it sets itself up for years of sustainable success. For teams on the borderline, there’s no better time than the present to consider it. There should be no shame in going down that path if it’s in the name of winning.

Ha! Ain't to proud to bottom out? Someone should really let him know how hard we tried to make the playoffs the year we had the worst record.
Do it for Chuck
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,240

Post#138 » by LUKE23 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:34 pm

I don't really think we need a high usage player unless it's a guy who is really efficient and does it in a team concept. I'll be surprised if whoever we take is any better than the 4th option offensively. A studly 3/D guy or a true anchor C who can defend in a team concept helps us the most in the W column long-term. Don't want a ball dominant player with this pick really. The ball should be in Giannis' hands.
har13
Analyst
And1: 1,520

Post#139 » by har13 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:03 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I don't really think we need a high usage player unless it's a guy who is really efficient and does it in a team concept. I'll be surprised if whoever we take is any better than the 4th option offensively. A studly 3/D guy or a true anchor C who can defend in a team concept helps us the most in the W column long-term. Don't want a ball dominant player with this pick really. The ball should be in Giannis' hands.

Luke, even if you think that you don't need a Top 5 player you can trade him and bring the players you want back,so you need him or you believe that Henson and Plumlee are good trade assets :D
#FreeChuckDiesel

Sorry for my english guys. :(

It’s a magical weed.

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,686

Post#140 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:34 pm

How is it "arguable" and not "obvious" that we have more talent than the mid-2000s Cavs garbage supporting cast around Lebron. Yes, we should take advantage of this situation and grab another lottery ticket. I don't see how anyone would disagree with that given the circumstances. Don't know who projects as the best shooting 1 or 2 guard in this draft, but getting another play-maker at the point would be a hell of a sliver lining for this year.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks