ImageImage

Debate Giannis says he's starting pg

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Triple 7
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Re: Debate Giannis says he's starting pg 

Post#21 » by Triple 7 » Sat Oct 1, 2016 10:13 pm

What difference does it make? Put 5 guys out there who can match up well with the other team's 5, or create mismatches which Giannis is by default. Position smosition.
"Is he not unique? No one plays like this guy. This guy is the new guy. This is the new form."
- George Karl on Giannis
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,925

Post#22 » by stellation » Sat Oct 1, 2016 10:52 pm

I assume that, barring any unexpected oddities, Delly will be the starting Point Guard, and Giannis will run the point as much, if not more, than he does whilst on court.
#FreeChuckDiesel
vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 964

Post#23 » by vegaspacker » Sun Oct 2, 2016 6:44 am

If Kidd who is considered one of the best pg's says he is a pg, and he is the coach which determines the position of his players. Giannis is a pg... Period period period
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#24 » by FlagsFlyForever » Sun Oct 2, 2016 8:38 am

It's okay to call both Giannis and Delly point guards.
Read on Twitter
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#25 » by WRau1 » Sun Oct 2, 2016 9:29 am

Never heard of her.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,954

Post#26 » by Jez2983 » Sun Oct 2, 2016 10:49 am

WRau1 wrote:Never heard of her.

I tried for some time to work out how this was relevant and came to this conclusion:

That's what she said.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#27 » by Badgerlander » Sun Oct 2, 2016 11:11 am

It's funny Harden led the NBA in usage last year now DAntoni calls him their Points Guard just to give writers something to write about and it's a big change lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
vtime
Rookie
And1: 247

Post#28 » by vtime » Mon Oct 3, 2016 6:02 pm

People have sworn up and down for months that he won't be the starting point guard. Well Giannis just told you that he is.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#29 » by M-C-G » Mon Oct 3, 2016 6:10 pm

Put me in the "it is irrelevant" category

Hammond

“Well, to me....we can use that terminology, point guard, but I always say, ‘You are what you guard, you are what you defend.’ We’re not going to march Giannis Antetokounmpo out there and say, ‘Starting at point guard...’. We’re going to start somebody at point guard. He’s a facilitator and a playmaker, but I do think he has great abilities to do that.”

Kidd last year
“Giannis is playing at a very high level right now. After the break, we’ve made some changes, we’ve kind of given him the ball as the point guard. We haven’t announced that he’s the point guard, but we’re letting him start the offense. On misses, we’re trying to get the ball to him as quick as possible and have everybody else run. And he’s made some incredible passes.”

He is a PG in the exact same way Lebron is
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#30 » by Badgerlander » Mon Oct 3, 2016 6:12 pm

Spoiler:

bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#31 » by bigkurty » Mon Oct 3, 2016 6:45 pm

Would it shock anyone if Giannis is in the top 5 for assists this year? I am expecting it now personally. After seeing those pick and rolls and how easy Giannis got so many open 3's for his teammates last night, I am kind of thinking he will get more easy assists this year than ever. Losing Khris will hurt but if Jabari can hit 3's, and you play Giannis with Delly and Telly enough, that is a lot of easy assist opportunities potentially.

Add in the fact he can see over everyone and has those long arms to better help him find passing angles and it seems like racking up assists might end up being easier for him then say a Paul or Wall. The freakiness of Giannis can really apply to every aspect of the game if he learns to use it to his advantage.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#32 » by M-C-G » Mon Oct 3, 2016 7:38 pm

bigkurty wrote:Would it shock anyone if Giannis is in the top 5 for assists this year? I am expecting it now personally. After seeing those pick and rolls and how easy Giannis got so many open 3's for his teammates last night, I am kind of thinking he will get more easy assists this year than ever. Losing Khris will hurt but if Jabari can hit 3's, and you play Giannis with Delly and Telly enough, that is a lot of easy assist opportunities potentially.

Add in the fact he can see over everyone and has those long arms to better help him find passing angles and it seems like racking up assists might end up being easier for him then say a Paul or Wall. The freakiness of Giannis can really apply to every aspect of the game if he learns to use it to his advantage.

So the last 22 games of the year, he averaged a little over 7 ast per game, which if he did for the whole season, would have put him in the top 10, right around number 8.

So it is definitely doable, but he would need to get to the next level. For comparison sake, Lebron and Lillard were 9 and 10 with 6.8 ast per game.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#33 » by Badgerlander » Mon Oct 3, 2016 7:43 pm

54 of Giannis 345 assists were to Middleton, ~15.7%

Spoiler:

M-C-G
RealGM

Post#34 » by M-C-G » Mon Oct 3, 2016 7:46 pm

Badgerlander wrote:54 of Giannis 345 assists were to Middleton, ~15.7%

My guess is Mirza picks up 50+ assist from Giannis alone. Hell, that might be really, really light. Also hard to believe that Giannis had less than an assist per game to Midds ( I know he was only in that role for part of the season)...Do you know what the numbers were with Jabari?
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#35 » by Badgerlander » Mon Oct 3, 2016 7:50 pm

M-C-G wrote:

My guess is Mirza picks up 50+ assist from Giannis alone. Hell, that might be really, really light. Also hard to believe that Giannis had less than an assist per game to Midds ( I know he was only in that role for part of the season)...Do you know what the numbers were with Jabari?

Giannis had 201 assists after the all star break, 35 to Mids, 64 to Jabari

Spoiler:

M-C-G
RealGM

Post#36 » by M-C-G » Mon Oct 3, 2016 7:54 pm

Badgerlander wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

Giannis had 201 assists after the all star break, 35 to Mids, 64 to Jabari

Almost 2.5 ast per game to Jabari...could definitely see it being higher this season too...It is so damn fun to finally have a young, exciting core on this god forsaken team
vtime
Rookie
And1: 247

Post#37 » by vtime » Tue Oct 4, 2016 12:22 am

People can't just sat they were wrong. He's the PG. Not like Lebron is the PG. He's the actual pg like Naguc Johnson is a pg. It's only questioned because of height.
Triple 7
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#38 » by Triple 7 » Tue Oct 4, 2016 12:33 am

vtime wrote:People can't just sat they were wrong. He's the PG. Not like Lebron is the PG. He's the actual pg like Naguc Johnson is a pg. It's only questioned because of height.

He's not going to be guarding the opposing PG. And that's the reason people won't say he's a PG.
"Is he not unique? No one plays like this guy. This guy is the new guy. This is the new form."
- George Karl on Giannis
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#39 » by DrWood » Tue Oct 4, 2016 2:37 am

If the PG is the guy that brings the ball up to the front court, I don't think I want Giannis to do that. Let Delly or someone else expend the energy.

Do we know that he'd be a poor on-ball defender of an opposing PG? I don't know that.
Magic Giannison
RealGM
And1: 27,043

Post#40 » by Magic Giannison » Tue Oct 4, 2016 2:41 am

Triple 7 wrote:
vtime wrote:People can't just sat they were wrong. He's the PG. Not like Lebron is the PG. He's the actual pg like Naguc Johnson is a pg. It's only questioned because of height.

He's not going to be guarding the opposing PG. And that's the reason people won't say he's a PG.

Magic was guarding PGs?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks