RGM WT - Middleton Hamstring Torn Off Bone

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,669

Re: RGM WT - Middleton Hamstring Torn Off Bone 

Post#21 » by LordCovington33 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:20 pm

demonaz wrote:
I know he may have aspirations to play this season, but I really hope the team keeps him out. Need to make sure he is 100% going into next season and beyond.

That's exactly how i feel about this...even if the team is on a playoff run and we need him, his longterm health is far more important.

The Bucks are my second favourite team due to Australia's decade long history with the team. Thon will be a problem for many teams in the future, but the kid needs to eat and put on muscle (slowly). He would struggle with his current frame. I think FO's strategy is the right one.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,852

Post#22 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:55 pm

What are the risk factors for this? I know he slipped on water but that happens all the time, especially in dual-purpose arenas with hockey ice. Why does our guy have to get a torn hamstring from it? I wonder if he was a little out of shape and started full-speed basketball activity too abruptly after chilling all summer. He did admittedly show up out of shape last season.

I do know that tight hamstrings are all too common and that makes injuries more likely. Biking and running and other common "stay-in-shape" activities don't build up hamstrings and quads evenly, and the result is overly tight hamstrings. I try to incorporate one-legged body leg squats into what little remains of my workout habits because of this, and when I haven't been doing them I definitely notice that quad strength is one of the first things to go. I'm sure Suki is on top of that though.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,324

Post#23 » by Mags FTW » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:27 am

You might say, he had a "Ham Bone" injury!

i'll show myself out...
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#24 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:34 am

I mean, I think we all kind of figured this was the case once it was confirmed how long he would/could be out. It's not normal for a "regular" hammy injury.

Granted, that doesn't make it fun to read.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#25 » by drew881 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:45 am

I still can't believe this happened. I've enjoyed this year so far, but had really high hopes before the injury.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,954

Post#26 » by Jez2983 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:18 am

Siefer wrote:Paging Jez.

Yo.

I've had very little experience (read: none) with a complete rupture of the hamstring complex. Generally one which then retracts and depending on the athlete's level, may still need to be repaired. Even at high level, really rare to completely tear.

As its tendinous tissue, the healing time will be slower. A complete rupture will certainly see bleeding, and would be better in some way than a tendinopathy (like tennis elbow of the butt) but then there's issues with scarring and restoring the tendon to close to it's normal length and strength. And ability to absorb force. That will be time consuming. Tendons take 100-120 days to respond to loading, so it's a long time for histological changes to occur. Conversely, they catabolise with rest. Midds has a weak repaired hamstring tendon.

I would say the closest equivalent is the achilles. However, unlike the achilles, the hamstring is not as important for jumping and acceleration. It is still, however, very important for stopping, changing direction and maintaining running.

This is a big injury. Frankly, I don't know how long it will take. I would definitely take as long as needed, and then probably even a bit longer. I had concerns with this when it happened and still do.

Heal well, Midds.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,954

Post#27 » by Jez2983 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:24 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:What are the risk factors for this? I know he slipped on water but that happens all the time, especially in dual-purpose arenas with hockey ice. Why does our guy have to get a torn hamstring from it? I wonder if he was a little out of shape and started full-speed basketball activity too abruptly after chilling all summer. He did admittedly show up out of shape last season.

I do know that tight hamstrings are all too common and that makes injuries more likely. Biking and running and other common "stay-in-shape" activities don't build up hamstrings and quads evenly, and the result is overly tight hamstrings. I try to incorporate one-legged body leg squats into what little remains of my workout habits because of this, and when I haven't been doing them I definitely notice that quad strength is one of the first things to go. I'm sure Suki is on top of that though.

Research has never categorically linked hamstring tightness with a increased risk of hamstring injury. While it makes sense, most fitness people will attest to having really tight players who weirdly never injure themselves.

Ironically with you, ethnicity is more applicable, especially in Aussie Rules. I would also suggest the ratio of hamstring and quads strength is more important.

Finally, there's such a thing as bad luck with injuries. Hamstrings and calves get injured as they're 2 joint muscles, sometimes lengthening and contracting under high force at the same time. All the prep in the world doesn't prevent injuries, hence why sport teams have injury management providers. If it was all about preparation, they'd just have a bunch of strength and conditioning people. And the water is a massive part of it, hadn't heard that. Changing the slip co-efficient on the floor will massively affect the hamstring load.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,044

Post#28 » by Siefer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:39 am

Appreciate the info. Happy to give up this season to ensure he's 100% next year.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,286

Post#29 » by Finn » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:00 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:One year after wasting our first round pick (Vaughn)....

Didn't realize that conclusion had been drawn. Thanks for letting me know.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,852

Post#30 » by coolhandluke121 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:14 pm

Jez2983 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:

I do know that tight hamstrings are all too common and that makes injuries more likely. Biking and running and other common "stay-in-shape" activities don't build up hamstrings and quads evenly, and the result is overly tight hamstrings.

Research has never categorically linked hamstring tightness with a increased risk of hamstring injury. While it makes sense, most fitness people will attest to having really tight players who weirdly never injure themselves.

Wow, I do find that first part surprising. I'm sure some of my physical therapists in the past haven't been up-to-date on the ever-evolving research, but it just seems so obvious from my experience that tight muscles (all else being equal) are more prone to injuries. I almost have to question which variables they've failed to isolate in their research. I did mention the importance of quad strength; perhaps highly fit people with tight hamstrings aren't more susceptible to injury because they also have the quad strength to mitigate their risk? At the very least I would think hamstring tightness and injuries are correlated through a 3rd variable, namely muscular imbalances.

Jez2983 wrote:Ironically with you, ethnicity is more applicable, especially in Aussie Rules.

I think we can all agree at this point that Khris secretly has some aboriginal DNA.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#31 » by FlagsFlyForever » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:26 am

Finn wrote:

I've let everybody know my opinion of Vaughn since the moment he was drafted. I wasn't trying to be snarky to the Vaughn lovers. I honestly didn't realize there was anybody left who is still happy with that pick.

Just curious, what do you think is the best case scenario for Vaughn? Do you think he could be our PG of the future with Giannis handling primary ball handling duties?
Read on Twitter
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,286

Post#32 » by Finn » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:45 am

ElPeregrino wrote:
Finn wrote:

I've let everybody know my opinion of Vaughn since the moment he was drafted. I wasn't trying to be snarky to the Vaughn lovers. I honestly didn't realize there was anybody left who is still happy with that pick.

Just curious, what do you think is the best case scenario for Vaughn? Do you think he could be our PG of the future with Giannis handling primary ball handling duties?

I have absolutely no clue. Not in the predicting business. But I do think it's too early to call him a wasted pick.

If that knucklehead Kidd would give him some consistent playing time, I think he might be a decent bench option. He has shot pretty well when he's gotten on the floor this season.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks