ImageImage

PG Thread (Spurs) - Bucks drop to the Spurs

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,136

Re: PG Thread (Spurs) - Bucks drop to the Spurs 

Post#281 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Dec 6, 2016 2:05 pm

bizarro wrote:You brave souls. I still have yet to watch since my Jason Kidd is a **** moron who kills the joy of viewing basketball rant several weeks ago. I am much happier as a result. Here I sit with the most talented Buck since the early 1970's and I boycott the games because Kidd absolutely kills the joy of watching basketball (did I say that already?). Regardless, I will abstain until his ass is canned. **** Kidd. And, **** the new owners.

:lol:
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#282 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Dec 6, 2016 2:07 pm

H2tObes wrote:Not understanding all the Kidd bashing and ref blaming. We lost this game because we played sloppy in the closing stretch and missed about 15 wide open 3's.

Yup. And couldn't get a shot off on three straight possessions in the final two minutes.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#283 » by crkone » Tue Dec 6, 2016 2:08 pm

Bucks shot 11 for 28 on uncontested shots, lol.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#284 » by M-C-G » Tue Dec 6, 2016 2:42 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Which again has nothing to do with Kidd being a terrible game coach. Scott Brooks and Mark Jackson won a bunch of games while also being **** at their jobs. So many Bucks fans love mediocrity.

So we play one of the best teams in the league down to the wire where they need every loose ball and call in the fourth to go their way and we have our best three point shooter miss a wide open three all while our best player from this year is in foul trouble and our best player from last year is out. What did you expect?

People can't say we are a 35 win team and then be pissed about losing games to better teams.

Oh and playing the mediocre card, yawn. It's the equivalent of the fifty year old white dude trying to fist bump a kid so they know he is cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I expect the coach to be competent but yeah you keep going on about nearly winning like it's all about this one game. We are pissed because the team is being run by clowns, keep defending it though, the PR department would be proud.

Ha, I had no idea I was on the payroll. It all comes down to how much of Kidd's coaching is development vs. idiocy. I won't begrudge anyone for thinking it is 0 & 100%, just not a belief I share. At the end of the day, I saw our young guys take the best road team in the league down to the wire all while not being able to hit open shots and our star player riding the bench because he picked up some stupid fouls. So yeah, moral victory and all
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#285 » by M-C-G » Tue Dec 6, 2016 2:44 pm

How Jabari ended with only three assist was criminal. He did an awesome job finding guys and creating great looks for them. Love seeing him continue to surprise
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,114

Post#286 » by FrieAaron » Tue Dec 6, 2016 2:46 pm

M-C-G wrote:How Jabari ended with only three assist was criminal. He did an awesome job finding guys and creating great looks for them. Love seeing him continue to surprise

I was going to say, in addition to wide open threes we continuously missed there were at least 5 great passes inside from Delly and Parker that our bigs couldn't convert. Really should have won this game, but it was still a great performance overall from our core.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,044

Post#287 » by Siefer » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:15 pm

We should be excited about Jabari's immense talent, but don't confuse that with him being a net positive right now. If we wanted to win as many games as possible, Jabari would be getting ~20 minutes a game off the bench; his defense is that bad.

To be clear, I'm not advocating for that move. I'm good with trying to win as many games as possible given Jabari plays against first units and gets starter minutes. We aren't tanking with Giannis, but trading wins in 2016 for development of a blue chipper is fine. What's inexplicable are the continued steady minutes Terry is getting. He's a freaking disaster on both ends of court, takes minutes away from better young players, and I think he actively hurts the play of our kids when he's on the floor.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,297

Post#288 » by KidA24 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:48 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:Jabari's D is weird, it's like he never had a basketball coach from the age of 10 to 19.

I'm not talking advanced stuff like dealing with PnR etc, but dont they teach basic defensive stance at Simeon and Duke? Like, spread your legs, lower your ass, lift your hands?
He's just walking around LOL
And then in the last split second he goes ahead and makes up for half of it with his incredible speed, jumping and just how frigging solid and strong he is. When he decides to jump in traffic people literally bounce off him. Which sometimes he decides to do at random times, and sometimes he doesnt, he just keeps strolling around.

Just weird.

This comes from the AAU system in the US. Guys running those teams are not basketball coaches often times. They are slimy recruiters.

Kids are not taught the fundamentals (Sam Mitchell mentioned that LaVine had no idea how to make a cut to get open last season, for example)
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,739

Post#289 » by yannisk » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:12 pm

Missing all those open 3 pointers cost the game. Stupid fouls by Giannis. He had his fith at 8.40 and he comes back at 1.40. What's the point? pull him out to clear his head and get some rest and bring him back at the 5 minute mark. If he fouls out so be it, try to maximize the time your best player is in the game.

Very good game by Jabari, good passes, missed a couple of drives that he makes 90% of the time.

The good defenders of the team are Brogdon, Delly, Snell and Giannis. Henson provides rim protection but he is not a great defender overall.

But the forwards are a disaster defensively. When Giannis is out we have 2 of Jabari, Beasley and Teletovic on the court . If the center is Monroe we are talking about a terrible front court defensively
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#290 » by M-C-G » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:15 pm

yannisk wrote:But the forwards are a disaster defensively. When Giannis is out we have 2 of Jabari, Beasley and Teletovic on the court . If the center is Monroe we are talking about a terrible front court defensively

We see entirely too much of Beasley, Jabari and Monroe, usually with Jet. I call that the "Suicide Squad" line up.
Wiscfan92
Starter
And1: 206

Post#291 » by Wiscfan92 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:22 pm

Still irks me that I thought that ball went of Leonard's leg with I think a couple minutes to go. They couldn't review it because it was not under 2 minutes, but he reacted like he knew it went off his leg. What do they do? Inbound to LA with a few seconds to go on the shot clock and he makes a bucket.
Play your role till your role change. Pay your dues till your dues paid.
Wiscfan92
Starter
And1: 206

Post#292 » by Wiscfan92 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:22 pm

All in all tho, incredibly fun game to watch. I'll take a wideopen corner look from Telly all day. He's going to make the majority of those I think.
Play your role till your role change. Pay your dues till your dues paid.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,812

Post#293 » by Prez » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:23 pm

We have to start feeding Jabari more in late game situations. He needs to be the go-to scorer. You're gonna have your issues now and then like when we force fed Middleton isos last year, but imo he is pretty clearly our most naturally talented scorer and you have to develop that.
greekbuck34
RealGM
And1: 11,638

Post#294 » by greekbuck34 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:26 pm

I was so pissed off after the game because even with Monroe's defense, even with Giannis and Jabari turnovers even with Middleton out we could have easily beaten the Spurs for the first time in years and end their 11-0 run.

A career 40% 3p shooter missed a wide open shot.
Jabari got hacked and he didn't get the call.
Giannis goaltending block was just 0.1 seconds too late.

We need the oppossite of just one of the above plays. Just that to beat the Spurs even with all our handicaps(rim protection, Giannis foul trouble etc)..

For years the Spurs were blowing us out by the third quarter if not sooner and now we are in a position to compete at the highest level with teams like GSW, Cavaliers and the Spurs without one of our top 3 players..

In the end I prefer being pissed off after foolishly dropping a game than being calm after a blowout because we truly suck.
We will get there.
We are still one of the youngest teams in the league..
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: I think that we will do worse than last season and that Giannis is now just a mere all star. All because we switched from Bud to Griffin.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#295 » by HurricaneKid » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:26 pm

A few final thoughts:

It was a fine block by LMA on Giannis. But that's a jump ball. I don't even understand how its called a travel unless LMA didn't block it. LMA raking Jabari from behind is an embarrassment. As an official you call it every single time. Because even if he somehow gets it clean, he is so far out of position he doesn't get to make the attempt.

Giannis needs to be in the game before there is just 1:23 left. I don't understand how this is even possible.

Giannis closed the game like a schoolyard kid. For him to attempt to block Leonard's fallaway was egregious. There is 0/100 chance he gets to that. And if he doesn't go for it he is in position to rebound/defend. And when he goes for the LMA block, he actually goes back to swing at it. That extra .2 seconds is the difference between a goaltend and a clean block. AND when you just extend your arm the ball is more likely to stay in bounds anyways. His athleticism stuck out in both those plays but they were youthful exuberance plays that really have no business in the NBA. I LOVE Giannis. I mean its borderline creepy how much I like him. But he turns 22 today and has some on court maturing to do.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#296 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:28 pm

Wiscfan92 wrote:Still irks me that I thought that ball went of Leonard's leg with I think a couple minutes to go. They couldn't review it because it was not under 2 minutes, but he reacted like he knew it went off his leg. What do they do? Inbound to LA with a few seconds to go on the shot clock and he makes a bucket.

Not only did Kawhi know it, but all 10 players on the court knew it. Everybody took a couple steps towards the other end. Some shoddy officiating late, thats for sure. But the loss is squarely on the Bucks.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#297 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:29 pm

Milbuck wrote:We have to start feeding Jabari more in late game situations. He needs to be the go-to scorer. You're gonna have your issues now and then like when we force fed Middleton isos last year, but imo he is pretty clearly our most naturally talented scorer and you have to develop that.

I think we need to tweak the whole mindset of late game situations. You shouldn't change your philosophy on how to score based on end of games situations. We need to develop the offense where Giannis or jabari makes a move causing help defenders to sink in towards the basket and start swinging the ball and hopefully end in a giannis or jabari slam. You shouldn't 'feed' or force anything you wouldn't due in the second or third quarter. Even though we have great talent in Middleton, Parker, and Giannis, I don't feel comfortable putting any of them in an ISO situation like a Kobe, Dirk, Harden, Curry or whatever clutch player you want to compare to. It just isn't their game.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#298 » by M-C-G » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:33 pm

Wiscfan92 wrote:All in all tho, incredibly fun game to watch. I'll take a wideopen corner look from Telly all day. He's going to make the majority of those I think.

I don't know if others notice this, or if it is even correct, but it seems when he is actually set, he shoots like 75% but he has a horrible tendency to drift backwards on like 50% of his shots.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,676

Post#299 » by chonestown » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:37 pm

Siefer wrote:We should be excited about Jabari's immense talent, but don't confuse that with him being a net positive right now. If we wanted to win as many games as possible, Jabari would be getting ~20 minutes a game off the bench; his defense is that bad.

Which 3 or 4 off the bench is a defensive upgrade?
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,812

Post#300 » by Prez » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:37 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Milbuck wrote:We have to start feeding Jabari more in late game situations. He needs to be the go-to scorer. You're gonna have your issues now and then like when we force fed Middleton isos last year, but imo he is pretty clearly our most naturally talented scorer and you have to develop that.

I think we need to tweak the whole mindset of late game situations. You shouldn't change your philosophy on how to score based on end of games situations. We need to develop the offense where Giannis or jabari makes a move causing help defenders to sink in towards the basket and start swinging the ball and hopefully end in a giannis or jabari slam. You shouldn't 'feed' or force anything you wouldn't due in the second or third quarter. Even though we have great talent in Middleton, Parker, and Giannis, I don't feel comfortable putting any of them in an ISO situation like a Kobe, Dirk, Harden, Curry or whatever clutch player you want to compare to. It just isn't their game.
It is Jabari's game though. It was his game in high school, in college, and he's flashed plenty of potential that it could be his game in the NBA too. He has the skill set to be a go-to scorer, you just have to actually put him in those positions for him to develop into it consistently. Again, Middleton really struggled early on and found his way into being one of the better isolation players in the league last year, and that's everything we're missing right now. We have the perfect opportunity to groom another guy like that and we're totally dropping the ball.

And I'm not saying iso the entire 4th quarter. Just talking about like last minute of the game type stuff, when you NEED a bucket. Your thought process of swinging the ball and hoping it ends in a Jabari/Giannis dunk doesn't work in reality, the Spurs cut that off with their zones, packing the paint, etc. What you're suggesting ends up forcing guys like Snell and Henson and Delly to make plays and knock down shots, which will inevitably fail most of the time.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks