ImageImage

OT: New Michael Lewis book - chapter on Daryl Morey

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,775

OT: New Michael Lewis book - chapter on Daryl Morey 

Post#1 » by HaroldinGMinor » Mon Jan 2, 2017 3:58 pm

Michael Lewis' new book The Undoing Project has an entire chapter devoted to Daryl Morey, GM of the Rockets. Pretty interesting stuff. Most people on here know this but for those that don't Morey was essentially the first "Moneyball" GM in the NBA. The chapter revolves around him confronting his own internal biases when making personnel decisions. For example, falling in love with a kid during the interview because he was charming or had a tough background, comparing players of one skin tone/body type to other players of the same skin tone and body type even though they were much different athletically, etc.

Really interesting stuff for those that enjoy predictive analytics or behavioral economics. Or just want to get inside the head of a GM and scouts as they figure out who they want to draft. The rest of the book (presumably, I'm only on chapter 2) is about the history of behavioral economics and how human bias can interfere with proper decision making.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,067

Re: OT: New Michael Lewis book - chapter on Daryl Morey 

Post#2 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 4:01 pm

I did a thread on this a month ago but always good for a replay! Love the Baraboo native.

Here is the Slate piece with the good excerpt.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2016/12/how_daryl_morey_used_behavioral_economics_to_revolutionize_the_art_of_nba.html
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#3 » by HaroldinGMinor » Mon Jan 2, 2017 4:14 pm

Must have missed it first time around. I received the book as an X mas gift. Thanks for the link!
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,969

Post#4 » by sidney lanier » Mon Jan 2, 2017 4:52 pm

I haven't read the Lewis book but certainly agree with his premise about the importance of the work done by Kahneman/Tversky. Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow is a book that really opened my eyes to the whole world of decision under uncertainty, and in part made me such an analytics grump. I'd read the Kahneman book first if you have the time. It's long but engaging.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#5 » by HaroldinGMinor » Mon Jan 2, 2017 5:02 pm

sidney lanier wrote:I haven't read the Lewis book but certainly agree with his premise about the importance of the work done by Kahneman/Tversky. Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow is a book that really opened my eyes to the whole world of decision under uncertainty, and in part made me such an analytics grump. I'd read the Kahneman book first if you have the time. It's long but engaging.

My gf is actually a clinical psychologist and we have a copy of that on our bookshelf. Thanks for the rec.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#6 » by Nowak008 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 9:19 pm

sidney lanier wrote:I haven't read the Lewis book but certainly agree with his premise about the importance of the work done by Kahneman/Tversky. Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow is a book that really opened my eyes to the whole world of decision under uncertainty, and in part made me such an analytics grump. I'd read the Kahneman book first if you have the time. It's long but engaging.

Yea that book requires a lot of time and energy to read. I like to read nonfiction with a highlighter or a pen - It's the type of book where you have more sentences highlighted than not highlighted.

Also, Michael Lewis is the nut high. If you ever in the mood to get really pissed - read Flash Boys by him.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks