Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Re: Bill Simmons Podcast - Giannis, CP3 Milwaukee talk 

Post#141 » by Chapter29 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:58 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
Chapter29 wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:I guess you're probably missing the fact that for the foreseeable future he's heaps better than anything we could possibly add or have to give up to acquire him if he did indeed want to sign here.

Oh...ok. So gut the team for a 32 year old guy on a 4 year massive contract. Got it.

You'd be "gutting" guys like Monroe, Snell, Henson, Hawes, Delly and/or Telly for one of the best players in the league.

At 32 years old.
Giannis
is
UponUs
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,790

Post#142 » by Baddy Chuck » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:18 am

Chapter29 wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Chapter29 wrote:
Oh...ok. So gut the team for a 32 year old guy on a 4 year massive contract. Got it.

You'd be "gutting" guys like Monroe, Snell, Henson, Hawes, Delly and/or Telly for one of the best players in the league.

At 32 years old.

You keep saying this like there's any indication of some immediate and immense drop off that makes him less of a player than guys like Monroe, Jrue Holiday and Snell. Could you imagine getting Dirk at 32? Steve Nash? Paul Pierce? Garnett? Kobe? That would've sucked. You get him at 32 and you're probably guaranteed at least 2 more season of All-star starter, MVP caliber play and baring some freak Billups style injury you're probably looking at him aging pretty well past that point like a lot of guards before him. It isn't like he's some Russell Westbrook/Dwyane Wade athletic freak whose game relies on being 2 steps faster and more explosive than everyone on the court or something.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,286

Post#143 » by Finn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:27 am

Kobe at any age would have sucked.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#144 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:28 am

No I get where BChuck is coming from, I mean half the point of having a superstar and building a quality franchise is to become a realistic destination for other superstar free agents (who will probably break your balls in the negotiations for a month and then end up going to LA or Miami, but that's neither here nor there).

I'd still hate to do this to Brogdon though :(
pifhluk23
Sixth Man
And1: 881

Post#145 » by pifhluk23 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:23 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:

Sick of this argument, do what to Brogdon? He's pretty much close to his ceiling which is why he went in the 2nd round. Brogdon has been great but I don't see him ever being an all star especially in a pg dominated league. He is a great backup or a poor mans starting pg.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,725

Re: RE: Re: Bill Simmons Podcast - Giannis, CP3 Milwaukee talk 

Post#146 » by AussieBuck » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:50 pm

pifhluk23 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:

Sick of this argument, do what to Brogdon? He's pretty much close to his ceiling which is why he went in the 2nd round. Brogdon has been great but I don't see him ever being an all star especially in a pg dominated league. He is a great backup or a poor mans starting pg.

Or a shooting guard
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#147 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:17 pm

pifhluk23 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:

He's not an all star but didn't belong in the 2nd round either, that was a mistake that is clear to everybody now.

As for age/ceiling perceptions, these are *maybe* useful for statistical purposes for predicting the development of a typical average athlete within a large population of athletes, but for individual person they don't mean jack ****. Just like BMI, it is usually correct in telling you you are fat, unless of course you have a lot of muscle in which case it's not correct anymore. 24 year old Thon was supposed to be close to his ceiling because he's 24, and yet he gets better every day. Brogdon was supposed to be close to his ceiling, and yet he puts up the same numbers per 36 in the friggin NBA as he did in the NCAA, which is crazy, and obviously means that he improved incredibly in the last year. When a player shows such crazy trajectory I'd hate to take away most his minutes and shove him back in the bench. I'd obviously do it for someone like CP, but I'd still hate it.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,740

Post#148 » by emunney » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:23 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:No I get where BChuck is coming from, I mean half the point of having a superstar and building a quality franchise is to become a realistic destination for other superstar free agents (who will probably break your balls in the negotiations for a month and then end up going to LA or Miami, but that's neither here nor there).

I still start Brogdon in this scenario. CP replaces Snell and Brogdon slides over. This is a shortcut for sure, but it doesn't take a lot of imagination to get us in the Finals if this happened. How we beat the Ws in a 7 game series is another matter.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#149 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:26 pm

emunney wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:No I get where BChuck is coming from, I mean half the point of having a superstar and building a quality franchise is to become a realistic destination for other superstar free agents (who will probably break your balls in the negotiations for a month and then end up going to LA or Miami, but that's neither here nor there).

I still start Brogdon in this scenario. CP replaces Snell and Brogdon slides over. This is a shortcut for sure, but it doesn't take a lot of imagination to get us in the Finals if this happened. How we beat the Ws in a 7 game series is another matter.

In theory it makes sense because Brogdon was a SG in college, but he wasnt very good in those few time when he was with Delly on the floor, I don't know...

And Snell's length and D are kind of a thing with the Bucks this year.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,740

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bill Simmons Podcast - Giannis, CP3 Milwaukee talk 

Post#150 » by emunney » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:41 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
emunney wrote:

In theory it makes sense because Brogdon was a SG in college, but he wasnt very good in those few time when he was with Delly on the floor, I don't know...

And Snell's length and D are kind of a thing with the Bucks this year.

Whew, loss aversion is real. I like Snell but if we replace him with Chris Paul, forget the old thing. We would have so much new thing.

Also, I wouldn't draw any conclusions about Brogdon-Paul based on Brogdon-Delly. These are not similar things.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#151 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:43 pm

ok I'd love to see it.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#152 » by Chapter29 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:52 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
Chapter29 wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:You'd be "gutting" guys like Monroe, Snell, Henson, Hawes, Delly and/or Telly for one of the best players in the league.

At 32 years old.

You keep saying this like there's any indication of some immediate and immense drop off that makes him less of a player than guys like Monroe, Jrue Holiday and Snell. Could you imagine getting Dirk at 32? Steve Nash? Paul Pierce? Garnett? Kobe? That would've sucked. You get him at 32 and you're probably guaranteed at least 2 more season of All-star starter, MVP caliber play and baring some freak Billups style injury you're probably looking at him aging pretty well past that point like a lot of guards before him. It isn't like he's some Russell Westbrook/Dwyane Wade athletic freak whose game relies on being 2 steps faster and more explosive than everyone on the court or something.

Yes, concerned big time over a drop off in production. I don't think investing in a 32 year old star on max money makes sense. Rather chose something that more lines up with us as a team. If we can lure players of his caliber we should be able to pick from other easier to fit into the team options.
Giannis
is
UponUs
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#153 » by Bucksfan28 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:58 pm

CP3 is great and it'd be awesome to have him. I'm a sucker for wing talent though. So one of PG, Hayward, or Butler (preference in that order) is a dream scenario come true if the FO is big-game hunting this offseason. Any opponent trying to find three capable defenders for Giannis/Mids/insert 2nd wing would be a nightmare, and if able to do so is probably sacrificing offense.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
bdpecore
Assistant Coach
And1: 573

Post#154 » by bdpecore » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:20 pm

I don't see any reason not to entertain the idea of PG3 signing here if that is what he truly wants. I'm sure you can get him on a 1+1 deal like Durant, LeBron and DWade all signed last offseason. Its only a minimal risk financially but the reward is substantial. The bigger issue would be clearing enough cap space to sign him. Henson, Telly, Hawes and Delly would all need to be moved while Monroe would need to opt out and sign an extension with a lower starting salary (say 4/$60MM with $13.5MM the first season). The former would likely require adding some current or future picks to dump them with the exception of Delly. This would leave us with roughly $29MM to offer up to CP3 if we keep our cap holds for both Snell and Beasley. Then you use Bird Rights and Early Bird Rights to resign Snell and Beasley respectively and we should be sitting well moving forward.

This would be a pretty sick 9 man rotation:

PG - CP3 (32), Brogdon (16)
SG - Middleton (28), Brogdon (8), Snell (10)
SF - Parker (32), Snell (12), Middleton (4)
PF - Giannis (34), Beasley (14)
C - Maker (24), Monroe (24)
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,019

Post#155 » by humanrefutation » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:22 pm

Paul George is going to try to get to LA. Love to have him, but he isn't coming here.

My biggest concern with CP3 is that he holds up throughout his contract. He's only played a full 82 once in his career. He usually misses around 10-15 games every season with injury, including a couple season-enders. I don't know how I feel about investing big money in an aging point guard with a history of injury troubles.

If the Clippers are really interested in blowing it up, I give em a call and see what they'd take for us to eat DeAndre's contract.
fansinceforever
Analyst
And1: 1,834

Post#156 » by fansinceforever » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:46 pm

without reading the last 8 pages my answer is a resounding Y-E-S. This makes us a lot better.
fansinceforever
Analyst
And1: 1,834

Post#157 » by fansinceforever » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Regardless of the outcome of this series, I think our biggest weakness at this point is our inability to do anything consistently. We can do everything but we can't rely on them doing everything game in and game out yet. I think a year of improvement and CP3 flips that script entirely.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,696

Post#158 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:51 pm

Malcolm Brogdon is pretty much the last guy who's going to bitch about losing his starting job to Chris Paul.
pack15412
Senior
And1: 285

Post#159 » by pack15412 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:when was the last time that a free agent like CP came to Milwaukee?

Debatable. Either Ken Norman or Bobby Simmons depending on how you feel about assaulting prostitutes.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,798

Post#160 » by SirChurros » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:44 pm

Why on earth were there people in this thread advocating for a wing over a point guard? :lol:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks