ImageImage

2018 NBA Draft Thread | Part 1

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread | Part 1 

Post#21 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:00 am

Gam wrote:Doncic will never have to guard a Wall or a Lillard. He will guard 2s and/or 3s.

doesnt matter where you try to hide him the other team will attack him straight away
especially if he ever makes the POs
Gam
Bench Warmer
And1: 806

Post#22 » by Gam » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:24 am

Pachinko_ wrote:
Gam wrote:Doncic will never have to guard a Wall or a Lillard. He will guard 2s and/or 3s.

doesnt matter where you try to hide him the other team will attack him straight away

He will be just fine defending in the league. Maybe not his first couple years, but if Joe Engles or Delly can be good defenders (lazy white guy comps) there's zero reason Doncic can't be one.
freewhitemoon
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,351

Post#23 » by freewhitemoon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:52 am

Pachinko_ wrote:

I know the warriors do that but most teams dont have the personnel to pull that off. It's why Kevin Love has never really been much of a defensive liability in the playoffs except against golden state
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#24 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:55 am

eh, ok, we'll see soon enough I guess
I reckon he's way overrated.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,677

Post#25 » by chonestown » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Jez2983 wrote:I'd prefer not to think about scenarios where we end up in the lottery.

Giannis missing 40+ games = lotto.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,699

Post#26 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:27 pm

My way too early hot take on Doncic is that he's more Hedo Turkoglu than James Harden. He's a top-5 prospect IMO, but wouldn't consider taking him #1 overall. A taller Lonzo Ball with better shot mechanics also works.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,798

Post#27 » by SirChurros » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:31 pm

I would do almost anything to trade up to get Bamba. He is the best defensive prospect in a long, long time.
GFreak34
Bench Warmer
And1: 203

Post#28 » by GFreak34 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:52 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:I'm old enough to remember 19 year old Drazen Petrovic, Peja Stojakovic and Toni Kukoc. I think they were all better than Doncic to be honest... he is very good obviously, and he will have a career in the League, but I don't think he's *that* good to go #2.

I mean you just named 3 great euros, really wish we had some way to get to the top 2 of this draft. Porter and Doncic look like great prospects.

the point is Petro and Peja had similar backgrounds and similar game as Doncic, and yet never got near to be considered top in the league, even though they were better than Doncic at the same age. If you had the opportunity to see them all at a young age that's just how it feels. For whatever that's worth...

Petrovic had no similar background to Peja.. Petrovic was a product of the united Yugoslavian basketball.. He played with Divac, Radja and the others (obviously was a member of that great Yugo team that lost in 1987).. As a Croatian he played with Croatia after the Split. He was an awesome guard and a great shooter.

Peja, was a kid that's been brought to Greece and raised here coz of the war.. he literally was raised in the environment of the Greek basket which was on the rise.. he proven to be a hell of a shooter.. he was about to play for the Greek national team but got dismissed from the Greek Commissioner, all that mess eventually ended up with him playing for Serbia (rightfully so, the kid was Serbian) and picked by the Kings later on.. the rest is history.

So, Peja and Petrovic, aren't similar cases.. on was a product of the united Yugo school of basket, the other was a product of Greek basketball (he arrived in Greece at age 14)
GFreak34
Bench Warmer

Post#29 » by GFreak34 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:55 pm

if we could get one from the next draft, obviously the best selection and the safest bet for a superstar would be Michael Porter.. second best being Bamba.. But Doncic might be around there in the mix on the top5
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#30 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:16 pm

GFreak34 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:I mean you just named 3 great euros, really wish we had some way to get to the top 2 of this draft. Porter and Doncic look like great prospects.

the point is Petro and Peja had similar backgrounds and similar game as Doncic, and yet never got near to be considered top in the league, even though they were better than Doncic at the same age. If you had the opportunity to see them all at a young age that's just how it feels. For whatever that's worth...

Petrovic had no similar background to Peja.. Petrovic was a product of the united Yugoslavian basketball.. He played with Divac, Radja and the others (obviously was a member of that great Yugo team that lost in 1987).. As a Croatian he played with Croatia after the Split. He was an awesome guard and a great shooter.

Peja, was a kid that's been brought to Greece and raised here coz of the war.. he literally was raised in the environment of the Greek basket which was on the rise.. he proven to be a hell of a shooter.. he was about to play for the Greek national team but got dismissed from the Greek Commissioner, all that mess eventually ended up with him playing for Serbia (rightfully so, the kid was Serbian) and picked by the Kings later on.. the rest is history.

So, Peja and Petrovic, aren't similar cases.. on was a product of the united Yugo school of basket, the other was a product of Greek basketball (he arrived in Greece at age 14)

you're splitting hairs man, there's not much difference in the brand of basketball between Serbia and Greece anyway, Yugoslavia was always massively influencial all over Europe with coaches and players everywhere.
Peja played for Red Star Belgrade in Serbia and came to Greece at 16, where his coach (if I remember correctly?) was Dusan Ivkovic, a Serbian (or maybe they had just switched to Johnny Newman, I can't remember exactly). Doncic learned the basics in Slovenia and then Spain, but it doesnt even matter, it's the same play.
GFreak34
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by GFreak34 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:23 pm

GFreak34 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:I mean you just named 3 great euros, really wish we had some way to get to the top 2 of this draft. Porter and Doncic look like great prospects.

Nope, Ivcovic was already a part of PAOK's team.. i think they ve won a cup with him before Peja showed up.. Our way of playing the game doesn't have many similarities with the Yugoslavian one.. we were and still are, more defense oriented and the Yugos where more run and gun.. anywayz, no he hasn't came at 16, coz he spend a year in PAOK's minors and he made his debut at the major team at 16.. played a couple of years and went abroad.. he was a basketball player at a junior level, but he matured in Greece.. i can still remember the same debate about him, considering if he should or shouldn't be selected with our NT.. as it turns out he didn't.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,889

Post#32 » by Fotis St » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:25 pm

With the 18th pick of the NBA Draft 2018 the Milwaukee Bucks select ... Devonte Graham from Kansas

Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#33 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:29 pm

Yeah I don't know, I always thought that those kids who migrated early from Yugoslavia to various countries always had something distinctively Yugoslavian in their style of play. But like I said we're splitting hairs... the point is not the subtle minor differences between Greek and Serbian players, but the vast differences between NBA and Euro players in general.

My whole point was that Petrovic as a player had much much more in common with someone like Doncic than someone like Kobe Bryant. I don't think there's an argument there.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,743

Post#34 » by emunney » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:Mikal Bridges, final answer.

I love this kid. Dude plays off-ball defense like a soccer goalie. He lays out to deflect passes! Going to be a really good player imo.

Will explode this year and go top 10. If he doesn't, hope we take him.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,844

Post#35 » by VooDoo7 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:02 pm

If we stay healthy, looking at how some of the other teams in the east have gotten worse, I expect us to be picking 17 to 19 next year.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,809

Post#36 » by Baddy Chuck » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:23 pm

emunney wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:Mikal Bridges, final answer.

I love this kid. Dude plays off-ball defense like a soccer goalie. He lays out to deflect passes! Going to be a really good player imo.

Will explode this year and go top 10. If he doesn't, hope we take him.

Yeah I could definitely see a huge jump with him.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,954

Post#37 » by Jez2983 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:02 am

chonestown wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:I'd prefer not to think about scenarios where we end up in the lottery.

Giannis missing 40+ games = lotto.

How to make someone think about things he doesn't want to think about:

Make a post explaining the exact thing he was trying not to think about.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#38 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:11 am

Still think Doncic has the Andrew Luck thing going on where one or two people call him this generational prospect while he's actually just a nice prospect but for some reason a bunch of people just run with it. I could be wrong but the footage I've seen doesn't come close to matching the hype.
Do it for Chuck
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#39 » by machu46 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:14 pm

I think Bamba ends up closer to the 10th pick than the 1st pick when it's all said and done. He's my pick for preseason potential top pick that disappoints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,798

Post#40 » by SirChurros » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:17 pm

machu46 wrote:I think Bamba ends up closer to the 10th pick than the 1st pick when it's all said and done. He's my pick for preseason potential top pick that disappoints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only reason he could come anywhere close to dropping that far is because he decided to go to Texas. His defense alone makes him a top-10 pick. That doesn't even factor in his tremendous rim-running ability.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks