ImageImage

Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks & Sports Media) - Sparky postgame show back starting tomorrow

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,152

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks & Sports Media) - 10 Bucks Games to be on Local OTA Station 

Post#801 » by JimmyTheKid » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:47 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:Listened to Marques’s first episode of his Bucks podcast “The Hear District” and it was very good, definitely the best Bucks pod out there.

Marques is a treasure.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,727

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks & Sports Media) - Sparky postgame show back starting tomorrow 

Post#802 » by jimmybones » Mon Mar 4, 2024 3:15 pm

I don't think Sparky is super insightful in terms of breaking down what's happening on the floor but he's definitely passionate and I dig that. I'm a fan
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,242

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks & Sports Media) - Sparky postgame show back starting tomorrow 

Post#803 » by dbrodz7 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 6:47 pm

Not being able to hustle back to the car after a big Bucks win and get Sparky and the callers dialed in left a big void in my fandom. I am definitely excited he's back. I have specific memories of doing this after the Mo Williams shot, the Toronto comeback, the finals win, etc.
Misery loves company
soboMP3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,283

Post#804 » by soboMP3 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 7:47 pm

Agreed. Sparky was such a huge part of my resurgence of fandom with the Bucks. Similar to Tim Allen (and Sparky at the time) with the Brewers. Great to have him back. As much as people liked to rag on Gary and many of the hosts at 1250, nothing replaces it. 97.3 is borderline unlistenable.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,710

Post#805 » by Matches Malone » Mon Mar 4, 2024 8:08 pm

jimmybones wrote:I don't think Sparky is super insightful in terms of breaking down what's happening on the floor but he's definitely passionate and I dig that. I'm a fan

Yeah, he still looks at the league through a '90s/00s lense and has a lot of old takes but he's entertaining and loves the team, so can't hate on it too much.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
BucksStatsGuy
Sophomore
And1: 655

Post#806 » by BucksStatsGuy » Mon Mar 4, 2024 8:25 pm

I absolutely miss that one guy who'd call in for every Bucks loss and say that Middleton just doesn't have that dawg in him and that we need a "20ppg scorer".....despite Middleton averaging 20+ppg. I think I just enjoyed all the ludicrous takes from the callers.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,116

Post#807 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 8:38 pm

soboMP3 wrote:Agreed. Sparky was such a huge part of my resurgence of fandom with the Bucks. Similar to Tim Allen (and Sparky at the time) with the Brewers. Great to have him back. As much as people liked to rag on Gary and many of the hosts at 1250, nothing replaces it. 97.3 is borderline unlistenable.

It was a nice emotional shot in the arm after a big win. Or a chance to vent after a bad loss. Just glad it’s back.

Those other two stations aren’t even sports IMO. Whenever I spin the dial, all I hear is them talking about some barbecue recipe they just tried or a story about how their wives or GF’s didn’t like the Valentines Day card they got.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
ColeWorld23
Sixth Man
And1: 687

Post#808 » by ColeWorld23 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:24 am

Hear District is the best Bucks related podcast ever by far.
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,432

Post#809 » by GoldenAntlers » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:53 am

ColeWorld23 wrote:Hear District is the best Bucks related podcast ever by far.
I started the first episode, didn't get far yet, but I'm already a big fan.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#810 » by RiotPunch » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:30 am

It's good, but Nehm was so cringe.

I could listen to Marques all day.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#811 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:36 pm

RiotPunch wrote:

Why do you say that? Thought he was great.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#812 » by RiotPunch » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:13 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:

His insight was fine, but I found his attempts at being funny and his seemingly *adjusted* vernacular to be cringeworthy. I've always been kinda meh on Nehm as a personality, though.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#813 » by BUCKnation » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:33 pm

I generally like Nehm, but he can get a little overexcited on some things and have blinders to legit issues of the team, which was most notable on LoB. I could see how he could be grating to some and I thought Frank Madden helped quite a bit in the balance of things on that show. I grew to definitely prefer Kane though and really miss him covering the team regularly.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,139

Post#814 » by BigO » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:00 pm

My problem with Eric Nehm is that he is not a journalist. He is a better analyst than an actual journalist.

What's cringeworthy are his questions to players and coaches. A good journalist doesn't ask questions over and over like "Bud, what did you think of Giannis's 40 point 16 rebound effort? "

He would never ask: "Bud, why is the three point defense thirtieth in the league?" Or "why did you play this guy in this series and not in the other series?"

He's afraid of alienating coaches, which a good journalist would never do. I rarely read his stuff anymore.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#815 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:16 pm

RiotPunch wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:It's good, but Nehm was so cringe.

His insight was fine, but I found his attempts at being funny and his seemingly *adjusted* vernacular to be cringeworthy. I've always been kinda meh on Nehm as a personality, though.

Gotcha. Had an inkling this might be the criticism. I've gotten to know Eric a bit in the past five years and, yeah, thats just him. In any casual room. No matter the group. He's not frontin', as the kids *might* still say? I'm not entirely sure, I'm old and my kids are too young for slang. Although "suss" and "yeet" have both made it into their vocabularies, which bothers me.

I personally think Eric does a great job covering the team. At the beginning I found his staunch, condescending, and what I perceived to be blind defense of Khris Middleton extremely annoying. But then KMiddy hit every big shot he took in game 6 and I've done my best to avoid sharing any negative opinions I might have. :D
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,037

Post#816 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:16 pm

BucksStatsGuy wrote:I absolutely miss that one guy who'd call in for every Bucks loss and say that Middleton just doesn't have that dawg in him and that we need a "20ppg scorer".....despite Middleton averaging 20+ppg. I think I just enjoyed all the ludicrous takes from the callers.

It confuses me listening to the callers. Like the comments they make are so paradoxical...

1. Guy who can't even remember a rotational players name:
"I HAVE A VERY STRONG OPINION ABOUT ...I cant remember his name, hes the white small forward..."
2. Guys analysis makes it seems like he has never seen another NBA game besides the Bucks and only has seen a few bucks game, but yet passionate to call into a post-game show. You would think there was some selection bias to get a little better takes.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,332

Post#817 » by KidA24 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:51 pm

BigO wrote:My problem with Eric Nehm is that he is not a journalist. He is a better analyst than an actual journalist.

What's cringeworthy are his questions to players and coaches. A good journalist doesn't ask questions over and over like "Bud, what did you think of Giannis's 40 point 16 rebound effort? "

He would never ask: "Bud, why is the three point defense thirtieth in the league?" Or "why did you play this guy in this series and not in the other series?"

He's afraid of alienating coaches, which a good journalist would never do. I rarely read his stuff anymore.

I want you to point out one reporter who asks those questions you are demanding in 2024.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,139

Post#818 » by BigO » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:06 pm

KidA24 wrote:
BigO wrote:My problem with Eric Nehm is that he is not a journalist. He is a better analyst than an actual journalist.

I want you to point out one reporter who asks those questions you are demanding in 2024.

Most reporters in Chicago, New York, Philly and other big cities. Matt Schneidman of The Athletic doesn't usually ask "suck up" to the coach or player questions.

In most other big cities, there are more media critics who write for the newspapers or are regulars on the radio, so there are more eyes to hold reporters accountable.

If you've ever listened to The Score out of Chicago, they'd have a field day with Nehm and the Journal writer if they were beat reporters in their city.

As I said before, Nehm does a pretty good job of analyzing things, but even then with an eye to make sure he isn't overly critical of the coaches or players. He's much more critical of Griffin, now that he's gone.

The thing that is bothersome about your question is that it implies that it's ok to be fanboy as a reporter. Or it may mean that you are so cynical that you don't expect reporters to actually ask tough questions.
KidA24
General Manager

Post#819 » by KidA24 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:39 pm

BigO wrote:
KidA24 wrote:

Most reporters in Chicago, New York, Philly and other big cities. Matt Schneidman of The Athletic doesn't usually ask "suck up" to the coach or player questions.

In most other big cities, there are more media critics who write for the newspapers or are regulars on the radio, so there are more eyes to hold reporters accountable.

If you've ever listened to The Score out of Chicago, they'd have a field day with Nehm and the Journal writer if they were beat reporters in their city.

As I said before, Nehm does a pretty good job of analyzing things, but even then with an eye to make sure he isn't overly critical of the coaches or players. He's much more critical of Griffin, now that he's gone.

The thing that is bothersome about your question is that it implies that it's ok to be fanboy as a reporter. Or it may mean that you are so cynical that you don't expect reporters to actually ask tough questions.

You gave one example of a guy who doesn't cover basketball, then talked about guys who host sports talk radio shows.

KidA24
General Manager

Post#820 » by KidA24 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:23 am

I was driving tonight, so a turned on 620 for the second quarter.

The Bucks radio guy is not good.

He consistently misses plays while trying to elaborate on a previous play.

Just call the game.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks