Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,919

Re: Marquette basketball 

Post#241 » by Plossum » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:24 pm

steger_3434 wrote:
Plossum wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:He had a nice steal. Hopefully finishes strong.

He doesn't seem to want much of the action in this game. Surprised the commentator said he won some sort of MVP award.

He was big east player of the year

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I get good players have bad games, but he's having a bad game by just not doing anything. If his shot wasn't falling then fair enough, but his game involvement is minimal. Anyhoo...
#LockUpChuck
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,120

Post#242 » by LittleRooster » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:25 pm

Plossum wrote:
steger_3434 wrote:
Plossum wrote:He doesn't seem to want much of the action in this game. Surprised the commentator said he won some sort of MVP award.

He was big east player of the year

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I get good players have bad games, but he's having a bad game by just not doing anything. If his shot wasn't falling then fair enough, but his game involvement is minimal. Anyhoo...

Have to wonder how bad his thumb is bothering him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,965

Post#243 » by BUCKnation » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:26 pm

Bracket was set up for a potentially easy run to the F4. Blown opportunity.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,946

Post#244 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:26 pm

MSU guys just put their heads down with the shot clock running out and finished some low percentage looks.

Marquette offense completely fell apart down the stretch also.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,487

Post#245 » by neiLz » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:27 pm

So sad.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,620

Post#246 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:27 pm

Tough loss. They'll be very good next season.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#247 » by Iheartfootball » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:31 pm

Welp, I’m disappointed, but on to next year. My expectations are much higher for next season assuming most of the team returns.
The Wet Whistle
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,254

Post#248 » by The Wet Whistle » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:34 pm

Ah dang. Michigan St killed a lot of the drive and cut options. Good defense from them. It also frustrated our guys into a lot of turnovers.

Most of the team should return next year so definitely excited to see that growth

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using RealGM mobile app
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,144

Post#249 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:50 pm

F Izzo. That sob just keeps screwing with the state of Wisconsin.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Bucksmaniac
Analyst
And1: 1,001

Post#250 » by Bucksmaniac » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:56 pm

Some of the turnovers for Mu today were so bad I could easily be convinced they threw the game.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,080

Post#251 » by MVP2110 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:58 pm

Honestly remarkable how similar this year was compared to Wisconsin last year. Both win their conference in the regular season, get a good seed and seemingly have a golden path to the F4, their star PG gets hurt and they suffer heartbreak in the second round. This was always my fear hiring Shaka, he has a long history of regular season success and tourney let downs. Honestly him and Gard are pretty similar in that regard. All of that said this was an incredible year for Marquette and they should be damn proud of it. Heartbreaking finish but a great season
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,620

Post#252 » by MickeyDavis » Fri May 26, 2023 4:47 pm

Olivier-Maxence Prosper is keeping his name in the 2023 NBA draft and will forgo his remaining eligibility at Marquette, he told ESPN on Friday.

"After talking to my family, agents, and evaluating the feedback I've gotten after the draft combine and my pro day, I've decided to keep my name in," Prosper said. "Teams say they are really intrigued by me and value my skill set and ability to impact the game on both ends. I'm ready to make that jump and go after this."

The 6-foot-8 Prosper, the No. 32 prospect in the ESPN 100, has had a strong pre-draft process that has elevated his standing in the eyes of NBA teams from fringe prospect to potential first-round pick. He posted 21 points and 7 rebounds in 22 minutes in his lone game at the draft combine and conducted a well-attended pro day in Los Angeles on Tuesday where several NBA executives told ESPN they were impressed with his perimeter shooting and explosiveness. He participated in five individual workouts with NBA teams before the combine and now has a busy schedule the next four weeks that will see him visit most of the teams picking in the first round.

"Coming out of college, people were questioning the consistency of my jumper," Prosper said. "That's something I've really worked hard to show NBA teams I can be a catch-and-shoot player. I have the ability to improve and become very versatile on both ends. If some teams weren't sure, I've shown them I can do more things on both ends in this process."

Prosper helped Marquette win the Big East regular-season and conference tournament championships, averaging 12.5 points in 29 minutes while bringing outstanding defensive versatility with his high intensity level, 7-foot-1 wingspan and ability to cover ground on the perimeter.

A young junior who is just 4½ months older than one of the top freshmen in college basketball last season in Brandon Miller, Prosper fits a prototype many NBA teams are actively seeking with his ability to play either forward spot as his perimeter shooting (34% from 3 last season) continues to evolve.

"My game translates really well to the NBA," Prosper said. "It's a positionless league, and wings like me who can guard multiple positions, run the floor, finish in transition and make catch-and-shoot 3s find ways to make winning plays and impact games. Based on what I've been told, there's no reason I shouldn't be a first-rounder."

Marquette, which was slated to return almost its entire roster next season, was projected as the No. 3 team in ESPN's early preseason rankings with the assumption that Prosper would return. His departure is a blow for Shaka Smart's Golden Eagles, who will have to scramble for a late replacement in the transfer portal or high school ranks. Rising junior David Joplin and rising sophomore Ben Gold will likely be called on for added responsibility.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#253 » by Mags FTW » Fri May 26, 2023 7:21 pm

He's mocked as a 2nd rounder at best. Who is advising this dude?
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#254 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri May 26, 2023 8:49 pm

Mags FTW wrote:He's mocked as a 2nd rounder at best. Who is advising this dude?

Just spitballing here.

If you have a chance at all to latch on to the NBA, in some cases, why not go?

As noted above, he's a young junior. A lot of drafting/signing in the NBA is literally just age. If you're 20 with skillset vs. 23 with the same skillset, that's a massive difference to them.

Staying in another year may not raise his stock much like it commonly does for football. You'd basically be gambling on yourself to somehow take a prominent role and play yourself into a top 15 pick to beat what he's going to get this year.

Whether he actually makes the NBA or not, he can probably make some good money in Europe or whatver if not. Start your career now, bank an extra $100k or a million or whatever depending where you catch on. You can finish college in 2030 if your career fizzles out.

The only counterargument above may be NIL. I guess you might be able to make as much in college as you could overseas now.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,685

Post#255 » by chonestown » Fri May 26, 2023 9:01 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:

Just spitballing here.

As noted above, he's a young junior. A lot of drafting/signing in the NBA is literally just age. If you're 20 with skillset vs. 23 with the same skillset, that's a massive difference to them.

Staying in another year may not raise his stock much like it commonly does for football. You'd basically be gambling on yourself to somehow take a prominent role and play yourself into a top 15 pick to beat what he's going to get this year.

Whether he actually makes the NBA or not, he can probably make some good money in Europe or whatver if not. Start your career now, bank an extra $100k or a million or whatever depending where you catch on. You can finish college in 2030 if your career fizzles out.

The only counterargument above may be NIL. I guess you might be able to make as much in college as you could overseas now.

All I could think of is NIL the whole time.

In a weird way, NIL could potentially allow for more continuity where prospects stay longer in college. Who knows what the particular college ends up being post-commitment though.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#256 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri May 26, 2023 9:21 pm

chonestown wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Just spitballing here.

All I could think of is NIL the whole time.

In a weird way, NIL could potentially allow for more continuity where prospects stay longer in college. Who knows what the particular college ends up being post-commitment though.

My only return volley is for guys like this that are a [relatively] unopened box of potential (he's still kinda young and while he definitely was productive and a great player at Marquette, still is somewhat riding on his skillset) it probably still makes sense to go as early as possible.

If he puts up the same very solid season he is probably less likely to get drafted. Picks 20-60 or whatever are a complete crapshoot so he'd have to really showcase his way up to top 20 to make a difference. If not, hope you can be a late 1st/early 2nd and if you are on the later side of that, at least you're one year closer to a new contract in the NBA if you can hack it.

It feels like NIL will keep some percentage of guys like Timme, Dickinson, or Thsiebwe around longer because they are true stars at their schools and lack true NBA size/skill or whatever it may be. Previously, those guys might have considered leaving a year earlier to be bench fodder in the NBA. Filling that void in the draft is the younger group of players that have the skillset that the league can work with and it's worth it to them to leave earlier now to take that spot that Dickinson may have gone in in the late 2nd or whatever. I'm making this theory up as I go.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#257 » by Iheartfootball » Fri May 26, 2023 10:17 pm

Ugh. Prosper would have made a huge difference on that team next year. Disappointed.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#258 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:30 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:

Just spitballing here.

#KerbKnew
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#259 » by Diggr14 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:58 pm

He sucks. He might warm the bench as a glue guy for a few years.

Invest the money well.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Ruben Quevedo
Pro Prospect
And1: 469

Post#260 » by Ruben Quevedo » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:17 pm

Diggr14 wrote:He sucks. He might warm the bench as a glue guy for a few years.

Invest the money well.

Never saw him as an NBA player let alone a first round pick. He obviously has a great motor and impressive size and athleticism. Just don't think he has any skills or feel for the game.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks