OT: Investing/Stocks/Bonds/Mutual Funds/Crypto

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

vlietinho
Veteran
And1: 480

Re: OT: Investing/Stocks/Bonds/Mutual Funds/Crypto 

Post#1421 » by vlietinho » Mon Jun 5, 2023 2:26 pm

TroyD92 wrote:
vital_signs wrote:Palantir setting up for a massive year and even more massive 5 years. AI giant.

Just bought a good amount of shares. Also very excited for them.

Yeah, was reading about this yesterday, and decided to buy some at open today, good one so far at least, thx
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,169

Post#1422 » by Stannis » Mon Jun 5, 2023 4:29 pm

$PLTR just seems way too meme-y and overvalued. There's still a lot of AI names under 5 billion that I would rather buy like $S and $AYX

If I'm going to splurge on an overvalued AI stock, it would probably be $SNOW
Free Palestine
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,838

Post#1423 » by TroyD92 » Mon Jun 5, 2023 7:01 pm

Stannis wrote:$PLTR just seems way too meme-y and overvalued. There's still a lot of AI names under 5 billion that I would rather buy like $S and $AYX

If I'm going to splurge on an overvalued AI stock, it would probably be $SNOW

This is probably true, but hype can take things pretty far. Look at crypto lol. Pretty easy buy at this price point for me. I know a few people who work at Palantir as well.

Wanted to add this for anyone. This shines a much more negative light. https://thebearcave.substack.com/p/problems-at-palantir-technologies
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 10,000

Post#1424 » by sidney lanier » Mon Jun 5, 2023 8:17 pm

The Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday accused Binance, the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchange, of mishandling customer funds and lying to American regulators and investors about its operations, in a sweeping case that has the potential to remake the landscape of power and wealth within crypto.

The S.E.C.’s lawsuit was the second time this year that federal regulators have accused Binance of evading laws designed to protect investors in the United States. Regulators have long seen the exchange, which has said it does $65 billion in average daily trading volume, as a major target in their quest to bring to heel a crypto industry that has been built around an explicitly anti-government ethos.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/05/business/sec-binance-charges.html

Idealists can't always be at
The place where they feel most free at
For those without scruples
Will scam these poor pupils
With currency that isn't fiat
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,740

Post#1425 » by chonestown » Tue Jun 6, 2023 3:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Cue the Michael Ray Richardson, mis amigos.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#1426 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:51 pm

Man, CAVA basically doubled today alone, I missed that one.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#1427 » by vital_signs » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:51 pm

Shameless plug for Matterport with their new AI initiative (and the fact that I'm down ~1600)

What are people's thoughts on DraftKings? I followed the hype initially and am stuck with about a k invested at 26 and change. I think it's a winner long term but there are alot of naysayers online.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 10,000

Post#1428 » by sidney lanier » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:34 pm

As you can tell from a few posts back, I'm struck by the intersection of idealism and unscrupulousness in the crypto world.

If you're a NY Times subscriber, you'll enjoy this long article that details what happens to a young and greedy idealist when the bad guys play hardball.

The moral of the story seems to be that you may long for a free, unfettered world of financial exchange, but such a world might contain people who play rough.

He Went After Crypto Companies. Then Someone Came After Him.
Kyle Roche was a rising star in the field of cryptocurrency law — until his career imploded. Who orchestrated his downfall?

When he arrived in London in late January 2022, Kyle Roche was riding high. At just 34 years old, he had established himself as one of the biggest players in the burgeoning field of cryptocurrency litigation. He boasted a law firm bearing his name, lawsuits filed against more than a dozen crypto companies and a huge verdict against the man who claimed to have invented Bitcoin.

Now a new opportunity beckoned. Two businessmen had flown Mr. Roche over from Miami to discuss investing in a new business venture he was forming. A waiting car whisked him from Heathrow Airport to meet the men in a plush townhouse in Mayfair.

That evening, Mr. Roche went to dinner with one of the men, who identified himself as Mauricio Andres Villavicencio de Aguilar. Mr. Villavicencio, who said he was from Argentina, had picked one of London’s fanciest restaurants, Jean-Georges in the Connaught hotel.

When he woke up the next morning, Mr. Roche says, he felt groggy. He couldn’t remember much aside from being pretty sure he had spotted Mr. Villavicencio’s business partner, a Norwegian named Christen Ager-Hanssen, lurking at a nearby table. The brain fog was odd because he didn’t think he’d had all that much to drink. As he flew back to Miami a few days later, Mr. Roche couldn’t shake the feeling that something was amiss.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/18/business/kyle-roche-crypto-leaks-satoshi.html
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,026

Post#1429 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:59 pm

A federal judge ruled in favor of XRP and it's up about 25%. I'm sure this isn't the end of it but I bought quite a bit before trading was halted in the US. We'll see what happens
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1430 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:21 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:A federal judge ruled in favor of XRP and it's up about 25%. I'm sure this isn't the end of it but I bought quite a bit before trading was halted in the US. We'll see what happens

Up over 70% now and a lot of others along for the ride (not that much of course but still up). My ANKR is up 4% and MATIC is up 17%, I sold off a little of that.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#1431 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:33 pm

So how high can QQQ go? Got in at $260 and now it’s at 52-week high but still around 30 from all time high. Still feels like it could move quite a bit.

Nvidia has been looney tunes.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,838

Post#1432 » by TroyD92 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:45 pm

I'm no Elon fan and the company was just announced but will be monitoring his new company xAI.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1433 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:04 pm

LUKE23 wrote:So how high can QQQ go? Got in at $260 and now it’s at 52-week high but still around 30 from all time high. Still feels like it could move quite a bit.

Nvidia has been looney tunes.

Plenty of room. It's not yet back to where it was late 2021. There will be zig zags of course but it's a good trend, and of course your timeline is important.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,169

Post#1434 » by Stannis » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:40 pm

Does this board have any opinion on FCEL here?

It's about where it was when it was first recommended years ago lol.

I'm a little interested here, but just wary of bankruptcy for these smaller companies. FCEL has been burning money for years.

They are still valued close to 1 billion, despite only having about 130 million in sales last year.
Free Palestine
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#1435 » by LUKE23 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:25 pm

Stannis wrote:Does this board have any opinion on FCEL here?

It's about where it was when it was first recommended years ago lol.

I'm a little interested here, but just wary of bankruptcy for these smaller companies. FCEL has been burning money for years.

They are still valued close to 1 billion, despite only having about 130 million in sales last year.

I think in general fuel/energy is good long term play. I don’t know a lot about FCEL. Current Price/Book is 1.33 so the stock may still be overvalued and you mentioned the company valuation verses earnings which seems a bit fishy.

In terms of the same industry I just put some money into GEVO which is signing aviation fuel contracts for net zero emissions. They are burning through cash right now and the stock hasn’t moved much and it’s a long term play but P/B was .68 when I got it and a lot of their contacts kick don’t kick in until 2025. They do have their earnings report coming up on 08/11 as well so that may shed some more light on where they are.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,337

Post#1436 » by Mags FTW » Wed Aug 9, 2023 1:11 am

I am a total crypto newb, but I need some help here.

A relative had a 500k balance in crypto.com after a 100k initial investment. She moved it all into DeFi wallet and attempted to withdraw 100k, but entered her debit card # instead of her bank account #. As a result, her account was flagged and it now says all of her funds are frozen. They are saying they need 100k deposit to unlock her funds? WTF?

I'm in way over my head on this. Is she being scammed?

ETA: She used the crypto.com DeFi Wallet and everything was done via the apps on her phone.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1437 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Aug 9, 2023 2:47 am

I don't use a DeFi wallet, I don't have much crypto. Seems odd the account would be frozen and requiring a deposit makes no sense at all. I would think the transaction would have just been declined and she would start over and enter the proper account number. Others here have more crypto experience.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,947

Post#1438 » by jschligs » Wed Aug 9, 2023 3:33 am

Does she have other bank accounts? I’d withdrawal the $100k to another account and then go in and talk to the bank
thonnisbeastley
Pro Prospect
And1: 674

Post#1439 » by thonnisbeastley » Wed Aug 9, 2023 4:22 am

Mags FTW wrote:I am a total crypto newb, but I need some help here.

A relative had a 500k balance in crypto.com after a 100k initial investment. She moved it all into DeFi wallet and attempted to withdraw 100k, but entered her debit card # instead of her bank account #. As a result, her account was flagged and it now says all of her funds are frozen. They are saying they need 100k deposit to unlock her funds? WTF?

I'm in way over my head on this. Is she being scammed?

ETA: She used the crypto.com DeFi Wallet and everything was done via the apps on her phone.

Sounds like a scam. She should just be able to get in touch with the support team and have her information verified/account number fixed, I would think. No legitimate exchange would demand a $100k deposit in order to have access to your own funds.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#1440 » by LUKE23 » Wed Aug 9, 2023 3:38 pm

Anyone looking to buy back in to PLTR given its recent mini-tumble? August has me a bit soured on AI even though I think (hope) it's temporary. Everything is getting rocked today across all sectors.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks