Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,509

Re: 23/24 College Basketball 

Post#861 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:49 am

Kentucky going down was glorious
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,076

Post#862 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:34 am

Cal, recruiter of every one-and-done under the sun, again blames freshmen for the loss.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#863 » by BUCKnation » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:12 am

Cal is such a fraud as a coach
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,509

Post#864 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:28 am

Let's go Samford
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,319

Post#865 » by KidA24 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:56 am

What a terrible foul call.

I feel bad for Samford
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,066

Post#866 » by MVP2110 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:56 am

One of the greatest blocks in NCAA Tourney history just got wiped away by an awful call.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,076

Post#867 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:57 am

Read on Twitter
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,319

Post#868 » by KidA24 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:00 am

I thought that out of bounds call hit the Sanford guy while he was still inbounds then hit the Kansas player OB.

I might be wrong though
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#869 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:24 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Cal, recruiter of every one-and-done under the sun, again blames freshmen for the loss.

Granted, he's had a handful of really good seniors in his last few losses to go with all of these freshmen, but I do think if college sports stay the way they are with unlimited transfers - his one-and-done strategy is not terrible but is going to be even worse than it was before. But yeah, obviously it's his choice to do this.

Indiana lost their top recruit and now have zero guys as traditional freshman recruits and said they will be going hard in the portal this offseason. I wonder if Cal is going to start supplementing only a handful of freshmen supplemented with a bunch of transfers in the next year or two.
Mtsportsfan
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#870 » by Mtsportsfan » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:10 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Frickin Kansas lucks out again! I can't remember seeing a call go against them ever! Makes a person wonder at times how this is set up! same with Duke! Such a obvious beautiful block , ref looking right at it, space in between the players! Horrible call!
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,172

Post#871 » by DingleJerry » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:56 pm

Obvously that was the wrong call, but I find it really tough to blame the ref for messing it up. It is impossible to see that for sure in a split second real time. Tough to overcome the gut reaction of seeing the dunker falling the way he did and not call a foul. If the dunker had held the rim and didn't fall the way he did I wonder if the ref instinctively calls it. But like I said, whichever way he's calling it is a pure guess as its impossible to see.

The problem is they replayed basically every possession for the last two mins of that game but not be able to review that call. I payed attention after and Samford would've gotten the ball on the rebound. So down 1 with like 12 seconds in a scramble situation 5 on 4. Would've made for a heck of an ending.

ETA: but imagine that scenario happening but the guy had hit him in the head on the block. other team gets the scramble and makes a game winning shot while the guy who got clocked in the head lays on the floor on the other end. That would make the refs look pretty bad too
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,530

Post#872 » by RogerMurdock » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:17 pm

The ref was also almost certainly expecting a foul, as Samford wouldn't want to give up a dunk there. Combine that with the Kansas player missing and falling like he did and the ref's brain just insta-locked in on "foul."
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,683

Post#873 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:57 pm

Gee, this NW/FAU game sure is fun.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,727

Post#874 » by jimmybones » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:03 pm

My bracket was 12-4 yesterday, lost two sweet 16 teams.

Girlfriends bracket, based 100% on aesthetics of uniforms, was 14-2 with sweet 16 in tact.

We bet a vacation to Florida on this. :blank:

She gives Purdue zero chance in their 1-16 matchup because their brown gold is hideous and has UAB in the final four, but only if they wear their gold alternates. All final four teams have some form of gold. Lol
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#875 » by Mags FTW » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:29 pm

jimmybones wrote:My bracket was 12-4 yesterday, lost two sweet 16 teams.

Girlfriends bracket, based 100% on aesthetics of uniforms, was 14-2 with sweet 16 in tact.

She gives Purdue zero chance in their 1-16 matchup because their brown gold is hideous and has UAB in the final four, but only if they wear their gold alternates. All final four teams have some form of gold. Lol

So the loser pays for the winner's vacation?
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,727

Post#876 » by jimmybones » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:40 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
jimmybones wrote:My bracket was 12-4 yesterday, lost two sweet 16 teams.

So the loser pays for the winner's vacation?

lol yeah. She filled it out yesterday after the tourney already started but she had no clue the games were even going on. :lol: The bet was her idea when she was 12-0 last night :lol:
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#877 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:39 pm

There is probably some truth behind teams running systems out of having generally inferior players (Purdue, Virginia, Wisconsin) that on the whole will not work as consistently in the tournament against better competition, but once again we can see how fluky this stuff is otherwise. These tournament runs/overall performance are pretty damn random, as FAU is one weird call away from not winning a single tournament game last year or this year.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,484

Post#878 » by neiLz » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:43 pm

Ncaa officiating :

Let's take ten mins to review every hook n hold and give out flagrants even if it doesn't affect the play.
Let's take another ten mins to review a guy getting touched on the head and throw around flagrants.
Under two mins, let's review every goddamn out of bounce play even tho it's clear who it was out on. But let's take ten more mins to do that.

Under two mins, ncaa tourney game on the line, clear block but ref blew the call... Ncaa, nah we don't review this, we trust our cheating ass refs

Ncaa is a **** joke
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#879 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:46 pm

neiLz wrote:Ncaa officiating :

Let's take ten mins to review every hook n hold and give out flagrants even if it doesn't affect the play.
Let's take another ten mins to review a guy getting touched on the head and throw around flagrants.
Under two mins, let's review every goddamn out of bounce play even tho it's clear who it was out on. But let's take ten more mins to do that.

Under two mins, ncaa tourney game on the line, clear block but ref blew the call... Ncaa, nah we don't review this, we trust our cheating ass refs

Ncaa is a **** joke

Unpopular opinion probably: Reviewing subjective calls seems great on the surface but gets to the point of the pass interference review of the NFL. It ends up being 90% "eh, he might not have fouled him but not indisputable" reviews.

Sure, it may catch a ridiculously bad call like the bad Rams/Saints NFC Championship game. But the juice is not as worth the squeeze.

You guys probably watch more NBA than me, but I feel like it has to be indisputable for anything to be overturned in the NBA with the one challenge?
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,484

Post#880 » by neiLz » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:56 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
neiLz wrote:Ncaa officiating :

Ncaa is a **** joke

Unpopular opinion probably: Reviewing subjective calls seems great on the surface but gets to the point of the pass interference review of the NFL. It ends up being 90% "eh, he might not have fouled him but not indisputable" reviews.

Sure, it may catch a ridiculously bad call like the bad Rams/Saints NFC Championship game. But the juice is not as worth the squeeze.

You guys probably watch more NBA than me, but I feel like it has to be indisputable for anything to be overturned in the NBA with the one challenge?

It's indisputable but they allow a little nuance to it now. Example from bucks game yesterday : giannis had a block on a guy but pat bev bumped the shooter marginally and didn't affect the block. Refs cheated and called a foul on bev, review came in and giannis blocked before bevs marginal contact so they reversed the fouls call

Issue is ncaa reviews everything but foul calls which is wild.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks