Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS, RACE OR RELIGION] 

Post#1881 » by stellation » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:12 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
stellation wrote:
Finn wrote:Black cherry & black raspberry are my favorites. Pink grapefruit is good, lemon lime OK. Don't like anything mango (I'm weird). Cherry limeade & classic lemonade pretty good. Coconut pineapple is garbage.

Appreciate your acknowledgement that you are weird for not liking anything mango, but still feel the need to chime in and highlight you're a freak nonetheless.

Middle of summer here, and it's mango city around my house baby. Chopped one up and had it with yogurt and granola for breakfast, and by mid morning I was eyeing off a couple I had sitting in the fruit bowl and wondering if they might be ready to go (they are not). We are blessed with amazing/plentiful mangoes in Australia, and many of us go just a little crazy in the summer.

Like every other a*shole on the planet I'm starting the new year with a renewed goal of dropping some pounds. Doesn't seem fair to create a diet where I can eat bacon and blue cheese but not an apple or a wonderful, delicious mango.

But hey, can't lose 20 lbs in a month without stuffing your face full of chicken wings.

Best of luck with it, brother. Baby steps, it's a marathon not a sprint.

Definitely recommend then the whole lemon/ginger/sneaky bit of honey tea, then- if you like it I find it's a pretty good appetite suppressant, when I was trying to drop a few I found it was a good replacement for mid arvo snacks.
#FreeChuckDiesel
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Post#1882 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:55 pm

DingleJerry wrote:I don't watch this stuff on a regular basis, I'd recommend turning all the talking head stuff on sports, and obviously "news" too. Its almost all negativity and trying to get people angry its just not worth it.

However, when traveling I sometimes don't have my normal TV/media setup so at times have thrown ESPN on in background since he went to espn. First, its crazy he's basically on all channels it seems. I never listened to his stuff on pods, radio or whatever before but like I said I generally don't like any of this stuff so I went in fresh. I would say I was pleasantly surprised (obviously I went in with horrible expectations) and thought it wasn't that bad. Most importantly, that it wasn't arguing with each other and focused on negativity. He's a blabbermouth so kind of annoyed me but there was usually decent guests and they just let them talk without the arguing bs.

Then CFB started and he was on Gameday, imo he was a big negative because he just talks tooooo much and overruns everyone else. I noticed the few weeks when I wasn't actually going to games so had it on that they kept running over time by 3-5 mins, which I put on him for not shutting up. They'd even tell him at the picks part to be quick and just pick but he'd still go on a spiel thinking he's the funniest guy every time. And now all this stuff now where it seems he's gotten too full of himself, I don't watch it and don't really click it but my biggest eyeroll was his conspiracy that espn is sabotaging him, yeaaaa that's what they wanna do, handout a ridiculous contract/money and then make the guy fail. All in all, this saga just seems another reminder as to why to not watch this crap. People nerdy enough on sports to be on this site know enough to have our own thoughts, we don't need someone else telling us what to think or be angry about
I was so bummed about one of the Packers playoff heartbreaks a couple years back I took a break from all sports pods for months and switched to listening to history stuff instead. Best god damn decision I ever made, revitalized my lifelong love of history and I didn't miss the sports talk.

Now I catch a pod here and there if they are talking about my team or have an interview I want to hear but I probably listen to like 10% what I used to and don't miss the 90% at **** all.

I quit Twitter months ago and don't miss it. Although it helps that I can jump on here and get most updates I'm looking for.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,691

Post#1883 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:35 pm

I really truly don't understand how anyone can listen to talk radio, sports talk radio, sports pods, whatever. Like you do you, I'm not even judging, I just don't understand the appeal...at all. To the point that I can't even understand how others like it, lol.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,402

Post#1884 » by trwi7 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:53 pm

When you're a teacher, you appreciate snow days more than the kids.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,083

Post#1885 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:54 pm

My dad was the final call on snow days in the district growing up. That made for good times when we'd be in school and no one thought we should be there.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#1886 » by trwi7 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:01 am

ReasonablySober wrote:My dad was the final call on snow days in the district growing up. That made for good times when we'd be in school and no one thought we should be there.

I was a salty bitch when we were open on Tuesday.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,915

Post#1887 » by jschligs » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:28 am

Our daycare only closes if our business does, so I get to send the kids regardless of the city and most companies ruling. Super nice since we literally never close unless it’s a ton of snow.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#1888 » by vital_signs » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:58 pm

Old man statement incoming, but they are giving snow days much easier these days.

When I was in high school, unless it was really bad in the AM, they would have us do half days so it didn't count as a snow day. They would then send a bunch of young new drivers out in the middle of the storm. Nowadays they seem to trust the forecast.

Quite frankly, we had more "cold days" than snow days during my last few years.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1889 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:16 pm

vital_signs wrote:Old man statement incoming, but they are giving snow days much easier these days.

When I was in high school, unless it was really bad in the AM, they would have us do half days so it didn't count as a snow day. They would then send a bunch of young new drivers out in the middle of the storm. Nowadays they seem to trust the forecast.

Isn't that because they just go online now so they are much more cancel trigger happy.

I grew up in a small rural town in northern wi and we never seemed to have snow days but we did miss like a week of school in I think 96 when a water main to the school froze and broke.

My first ever driving in snow was with a 80s rear wheel drive Cadillac, I'll never forget trying to turn on a road and my backend just flew out and I spun around 180. Spooked the **** out of me but once I leaned to control it that car was a donut spinning machine lol

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,040

Post#1890 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:23 pm

trwi7 wrote:When you're a teacher, you appreciate snow days more than the kids.

Probably the happiest I've seen my kid in months. Me? I basically threw my phone at the wall.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#1891 » by vital_signs » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:27 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
vital_signs wrote:Old man statement incoming, but they are giving snow days much easier these days.

Isn't that because they just go online now so they are much more cancel trigger happy.

I grew up in a small rural town in northern wi and we never seemed to have snow days but we did miss like a week of school in I think 96 when a water main to the school froze and broke.

My first ever driving in snow was with a 80s rear wheel drive Cadillac, I'll never forget trying to turn on a road and my backend just flew out and I spun around 180. Spooked the **** out of me but once I leaned to control it that car was a donut spinning machine lol

My high school days were during 04-08 so the internet was available. To my understanding, someone was in charge to check outside at like 4-4:30am and make the call then. I'm salty, I'll admit that :lol: They cancelled schools here last night and they could've pulled off a half day easily based off what we've gotten.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#1892 » by M-C-G » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:31 pm

I was told that the bus company has way more control over the snow day or not. So if they think weather could be really bad, they will cancel the routes even if it is just the afternoon that is snowing.

No idea if that is fact or opinion but would explain it a bit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,879

Post#1893 » by Dick Tate » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:36 pm

... until June.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,173

Post#1894 » by DingleJerry » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:42 pm

vital_signs wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

My high school days were during 04-08 so the internet was available. To my understanding, someone was in charge to check outside at like 4-4:30am and make the call then. I'm salty, I'll admit that :lol: They cancelled schools here last night and they could've pulled off a half day easily based off what we've gotten.

Sure but since covid the schools are now all set up to do things remotely drastically more than they were prior.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,083

Post#1895 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:43 pm

Something oddly nice about an afternoon on Friday knowing your ass is going to be stuck in doors for the next couple days because of really nasty weather. Got my bathwater tasting ass tea. Also gonna try making pizza out of something called arrowroot(??). A Bucks game, Badger game, and five NFL games...this weekend is gonna rule.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,058

Post#1896 » by Siefer » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:56 pm

I don't have kids, but a lot of my friends and peers do, and I'm struck by how absolutely bent over the barrel they are by daycare schedules. I worked at a daycare for a few summers as a teen, and we almost never closed except for federal holidays, and disastrous weather.

Today might count as one of those weather days, but I know a bunch of daycares in Madison follow the school schedule, so they'll take off the week of teacher conferences. Add in if your kid has a temperature of 99 or higher, sneezes for whatever reason, etc, and the kid gets sent home. Again, I'm not a parent, but this seems absolutely bananas? Is this just the norm these days, or is Madison a particularly tricky situation?
trwi7
RealGM

Post#1897 » by trwi7 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:17 pm

Dick Tate wrote:

... until June.

Ehh, I work all summer anyways, so it doesn't really bother me.

chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,685

Post#1898 » by chonestown » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:25 pm

It's days like this I lament the vaporization of OT: Weather. In some ways, I am the Icarus of posting on real gm dot com slash bucks.

Unlike Icarus, my travails were not mythological.

Roll Tide.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1899 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:55 pm

Siefer wrote:I don't have kids, but a lot of my friends and peers do, and I'm struck by how absolutely bent over the barrel they are by daycare schedules. I worked at a daycare for a few summers as a teen, and we almost never closed except for federal holidays, and disastrous weather.

Today might count as one of those weather days, but I know a bunch of daycares in Madison follow the school schedule, so they'll take off the week of teacher conferences. Add in if your kid has a temperature of 99 or higher, sneezes for whatever reason, etc, and the kid gets sent home. Again, I'm not a parent, but this seems absolutely bananas? Is this just the norm these days, or is Madison a particularly tricky situation?
I remember when I was first sending my oldest to daycare.

Was like hold up. So I send her here and she catches a cold, now because she has a cold she can't come to daycare but Im still paying you for the time she's out? Yup. I completely get why but it was also super frustrating because when they first go they are sick all the time.

Next summer my youngest will be in kindergarten so we'll finally be done paying them to go to daycare/pre-school (they charge for 4k here in AZ). I'm going to throw a party :)

stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#1900 » by stellation » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:16 pm

Beautiful morning here today. Ate a mango. About to take the dog on a long walk along a fire trail, it’s going to be warm later today- I have a new book waiting for me to sit under a tree with. A little talk around the house already of maybe burgers for dinner.

Life is good.
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Milwaukee Bucks