ImageImage

OT: Video Games/Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,317

Re: OT: Video Games/Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos 

Post#1821 » by KidA24 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:38 pm

The entire Orange Box (all 5 games) is on sale for $1 on steam.

If you don't own all of them, go buy them. :)

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/469/
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,738

Post#1822 » by TroyD92 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:06 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I never liked Myst but it was the biggest selling PC game of an entire decade.

Maybe its more relevant to boomer gamers, but I had it on my PC when I was a kid and never enjoyed it. I'd rather play like Thief or anything else really
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,423

Post#1823 » by GoldenAntlers » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:27 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
GoldenAntlers wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Videogame HOF Finalists.

Asteroids
Elite
Guitar Hero
Metroid
Myst
Neopets
Resident Evil
SimCity
Tokimeki Memorial
Tony’s Hawk Pro Skater
Ultima
You Don’t Know Jack

If only three get in, I'd go with Metroid, Myst, and SimCity.
Myst was one of my first video game loves, but it's no Myth.

No one has ever made a good spiritual successor to Myth II: Soulblighter and it vexes me.
THANK YOU

Bro. We are blood brothers now.

SOMEBODY DO THIS.

Myth: III The Wolf Age was a bust. **** Bungie for selling out to Microsoft for Halo.

If I come into a couple million I'm buying the Myth series. Take 2 interactive has been withholding rights for years and won't do anything with the franchise.

There is still an active Myth II server. I can post details later. I forget what it's called. I still play sometimes and they still host the MWC tournament - Myth Word Cup
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
GoldenAntlers
General Manager

Post#1824 » by GoldenAntlers » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:28 pm

TroyD92 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I never liked Myst but it was the biggest selling PC game of an entire decade.

Maybe its more relevant to boomer gamers, but I had it on my PC when I was a kid and never enjoyed it. I'd rather play like Thief or anything else really
Myst was like the first game that ever had graphics

And we not boomers either lmao. OG millennials and tail-end Gen Xers.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,704

Post#1825 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:35 pm

Shoutout to Riven as well. Underrated sequel to Myst that never gets talked about. My dad bought us an old-school Mac in the mid-90's and I can't remember how many hours I poured into games like MechWarrior 2, Hellcats Over the Pacific, and SimCity 2000.
j_hilge444
Senior
And1: 116

Post#1826 » by j_hilge444 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:17 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Shoutout to Riven as well. Underrated sequel to Myst that never gets talked about. My dad bought us an old-school Mac in the mid-90's and I can't remember how many hours I poured into games like MechWarrior 2, Hellcats Over the Pacific, and SimCity 2000.

Man, I distinctly remember getting SimCity 2000 and I was only 6 years old. I was a big SIM fan as a kid...poured tons of hours into SimLife & SimTower. I had no idea what I was doing in Life...just thought it was cool watching animals run around.

I think my parents finally figured out I was too young to really get those games yet, so they started buying me the kid versions. SimPark was another love of mine.
Luke Ridnour getting silly all over - throwing mad alley oops to Ilyasova.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,073

Post#1827 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:04 am

I'm sure I've said this on here before, but it's really insane how hard Nioh 2 is. I fired it up this week because I was looking for a time-suck, and I'm stuck on the very first intro map. I've made it to level 400 and NG++, and I can barely get past the 2nd main boss.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1828 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:46 pm

Nice week for gamers.

Unicorn Overlord is something I put down because, TBH, it overwhelmed the crap out of me and it seems like a game that's eventually going to get patched to hell and back. Right now you can absolutely break it, and I think a lot of players are producing content with those strategies in mind.

But out this week is MLB The Show, and it's day one on Game Pass. That's really, really nice.

Final Fantasy XIV Finally comes to Xbox.

Dragon's Dogma 2 and Rise of the Ronin are the two big ones. I'm waiting on reviews but I'm leaning towards DD2 since I found out RotR is less Souls-like than it is Assassin's Creed.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,680

Post#1829 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:19 pm

I don't have access to my PS5 right now, so haven't been able to play FF7R2 and have been DYING for DD2's release. Looks like it releases on Steam tomorrow at 6p, which is absolutely perfect. Will curl up with that + basketball all weekend while Covid has me sidelined.

Surprised the review embargo hasn't lifted yet.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1830 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:36 pm

Reviews are up now. 9s and 8s. The negatives seem to be 'it doesn't hold your hand'/there are no quest markers/fast travel is limited/etc., and console performance not being great at launch.

ETA: The one I care about though.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1831 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:25 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Reviews are up now. 9s and 8s. The negatives seem to be 'it doesn't hold your hand'/there are no quest markers/fast travel is limited/etc., and console performance not being great at launch.

It sounds like a janky, flawed, absolute masterpiece. In many ways the exact opposite of Rise of the Ronin. Still waiting on reviews for that one, but pretty sure DD2 is the one I'll be playing.

Opens up tomorrow morning if you want to trick your hardware into thinking you're in New Zealand.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1832 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:47 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:Reviews are up now. 9s and 8s. The negatives seem to be 'it doesn't hold your hand'/there are no quest markers/fast travel is limited/etc., and console performance not being great at launch.

It sounds like a janky, flawed, absolute masterpiece. In many ways the exact opposite of Rise of the Ronin. Still waiting on reviews for that one, but pretty sure DD2 is the one I'll be playing.

Opens up tomorrow morning if you want to trick your hardware into thinking you're in New Zealand.

I believe Xbox only for that trick. But enjoy!
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,845

Post#1833 » by Prez » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:08 pm

I really really need to finally drop the money and switch to PC. DD2 sounds incredible but the uncapped 30fps (or worse) on PS5 is such a bummer. Maybe I shouldn't be complaining given I still go back and play a good number of older 30fps games, but it's 2024, come on man.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,904

Post#1834 » by jschligs » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:09 pm

Prez wrote:I really really need to finally drop the money and switch to PC. DD2 sounds incredible but the uncapped 30fps (or worse) on PS5 is such a bummer. Maybe I shouldn't be complaining given I still go back and play a good number of older 30fps games, but it's 2024, come on man.

Was a console gamer for most of my life till I built my first PC. Then it nearly 100% switched to PC only (minus Nintendo Switch). But I had to buy an Xbox for College Football 25. But DD2 looks amazing so yea, time for you to spend some cash and never look back.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1835 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:41 pm

Reviews didn't ease my fears about RotR. Mostly just confirmed them. It's a game I'll eventually play, but I don't need to do that for a while with DD2 out and a pretty healthy backlog.

What a bummer.
GoldenAntlers
General Manager

Post#1836 » by GoldenAntlers » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:02 pm

I find it hilarious when people complain that games don't hold their hand.

"Back in my day we didn't have quest markers..."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1837 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:12 pm

GoldenAntlers wrote:

I find it hilarious when people complain that games don't hold their hand.

"Back in my day we didn't have quest markers..."

It seems to me like a surprising number of reviewers are completing the game in relatively short order. 25 hours isn't really that long. Most reviewers mentioned going back for NG+ or even NG++. I'm guessing the lack of map markers and hand holding is largely responsible; most reviewers just decided not to investigate quests that didn't have obvious solutions.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1838 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:47 pm

I think quite truly there is no one I would rather hear talk games than Swen. He's goofy and that's fun for their events and all that, but when he's serious and introspective like this I think it's really unmatched.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1839 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:24 pm

Very very early impression is that I'm gonna play the **** out of DD2. Having fun. Wish there was a target lock. Mele is awkward without it.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1840 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:02 pm

The Steam release time map is confusing (IMO). I guess it doesn't release until 7 CST, not 6. So another hour, ugh.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks