OT: Video Games/Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Re: OT: Video Games/Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos 

Post#1901 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 am

I hate the Magick Archer profession in run of the mill encounters with basic enemies. It seems very weak and underpowered compared to melee professions. But man, it's hard to argue against it when going against some select bigger bosses.

Like the griffin. I can solo that thing without using the master abilities. In a group with a mage and a sorcerer I can melt bosses in 15 seconds or so.

I'm making my way back to the campsite near the ogre and chimera to see if farming them is going to be as easy as I think it will be.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#1902 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 am

ReasonablySober wrote:I hate the Magick Archer profession in run of the mill encounters with basic enemies. It seems very weak and underpowered compared to melee professions. But man, it's hard to argue against it when going against some select bigger bosses.

Like the griffin. I can solo that thing without using the master abilities. In a group with a mage and a sorcerer I can melt bosses in 15 seconds or so.

I'm making my way back to the campsite near the ogre and chimera to see if farming them is going to be as easy as I think it will be.

Not truly solo, but I can basically take out a griffin as a character level 25/archer (not magic) level 7 just using explosive arrows and good aiming. I'm sure melee has a ton of positives but it's been so hard to bring myself to switch from archer because of how absolutely dope it feels to be this much of a pinpoint expert. It's my elven archer RP dream :D
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1903 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 pm

Here's how you break the game, or at least make it infinitely easier. Basically you exploit the in game marketplace for ripe fruit, using the inn and storage mechanics. A couple portcrystals in key locations make this much faster and convenient.

At the end of the video is a way to get infinite Wakestones. Wakestones make drake (or any large beast) battles trivial. Combine Martyr Bolt with a wakestone and you can one or two shot just about any enemy in the game.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#1904 » by Licensed to Il » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:45 pm

I’ve played through the “eras” mode of NBA2K24 in the “Kobe Era” a dozen times and it’s such a joy to start with Sam, Ray, rookie A+ shooting Redd, and Tim Thomas. You make a few tweaks to the offensive system and win titles easily, even in sim mode.

But lately I’ve been playing the “LeBron Era” and you start with peak Brandon Jennings, Maggette, Frisky Bogut, and rookie Larry Sanders! Maxed out and rated 71 (that’s not good) Mike Redd. What the hell is wrong with me?

Weird how both eras mostly sucked. But I have so much affection for the 00’s Bucks based on that ECF run.

I don’t know why it is so satisfying to trade the guys I hated (Ervin Johnson, Drew Gooden, etc).
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1905 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:53 pm

Licensed to Il wrote:I’ve played through the “eras” mode of NBA2K24 in the “Kobe Era” a dozen times and it’s such a joy to start with Sam, Ray, rookie A+ shooting Redd, and Tim Thomas. You make a few tweaks to the offensive system and win titles easily, even in sim mode.

But lately I’ve been playing the “LeBron Era” and you start with peak Brandon Jennings, Maggette, Frisky Bogut, and rookie Larry Sanders! Maxed out and rated 71 (that’s not good) Mike Redd. What the hell is wrong with me?

Weird how both eras mostly sucked. But I have so much affection for the 00’s Bucks based on that ECF run.

I don’t know why it is so satisfying to trade the guys I hated (Ervin Johnson, Drew Gooden, etc).

I need to try this year's Eras. I had a blast the first time around with the Jordan era.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant

Post#1906 » by Licensed to Il » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:24 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Licensed to Il wrote:I’ve played through the “eras” mode of NBA2K24 in the “Kobe Era” a dozen times and it’s such a joy to start with Sam, Ray, rookie A+ shooting Redd, and Tim Thomas. You make a few tweaks to the offensive system and win titles easily, even in sim mode.

I need to try this year's Eras. I had a blast the first time around with the Jordan era.

Crazy how those dumpster fires can turn in to great teams with one really smart trade. You can get almost anyone for Redd in the Kobe era. Nene or Kirilenko turn the squad pretty good. Turning around the Jennings team is tougher, but teams I will offer up good players for Bogut and surprisingly Magette.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1907 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:30 pm

Licensed to Il wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Crazy how those dumpster fires can turn in to great teams with one really smart trade. You can get almost anyone for Redd in the Kobe era. Nene or Kirilenko turn the squad pretty good. Turning around the Jennings team is tougher, but teams I will offer up good players for Bogut and surprisingly Magette.

I just think the mode in general is such a brilliant idea. The idea of going back to '92 and relive the Shaq sweepstakes AND play by the rules of the league back then AND have the same style broadcasts AND the same jerseys. They play out season after season, re-drafting every offseason. It's something I wish more sports games would emulate somehow.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant

Post#1908 » by Licensed to Il » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:57 pm

It is an incredibly fun mode. When I played it the first time, and realized what it was and all it entailed, it brought back a flood of such fun memories.

It’s also so fun to try out alternative scenarios. I took Jennings, canned Skiles, installed a “7 seconds or less” offense, and traded everyone else for 3+D players. Probably would not have worked in real life. But Jennings is a blast in that role (Steve Nash lite).
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#1909 » by crkone » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:38 am

Pepper Grinder is awesome.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1910 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:08 am

Love to make a tiny input mistake in DD2 because the game is janky as hell and see it quick save a decision I absolutely didn't mean to make.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1911 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:14 pm

I decided to go through with the "true" ending to DD2. In the middle of it and I realize that because I didn't complete a mission correctly some 30 hours ago it means I can't complete an endgame mission. It makes no sense.

Anyway, putting DD2 away for a while. If/when I play again I might just start completely over. Apparently there isn't really any reason to play NG+ anyway; the enemies don't change or scale to your level. That's a snooze.

Starting up Rise of the Ronin.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1912 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:33 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I decided to go through with the "true" ending to DD2. In the middle of it and I realize that because I didn't complete a mission correctly some 30 hours ago it means I can't complete an endgame mission. It makes no sense.

Anyway, putting DD2 away for a while. If/when I play again I might just start completely over. Apparently there isn't really any reason to play NG+ anyway; the enemies don't change or scale to your level. That's a snooze.

I've paused for POE's league launch. Rise of Ronin looks interesting to me actually if it isn't like Nioh-level hard. Will be interested in your thoughts.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,736

Post#1913 » by AussieBuck » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:40 pm

Giving Elden Ring a second playthrough. Life is more complex when you're not just swinging a giant sword at everything.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,845

Post#1914 » by tydett » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:03 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I decided to go through with the "true" ending to DD2. In the middle of it and I realize that because I didn't complete a mission correctly some 30 hours ago it means I can't complete an endgame mission. It makes no sense.

I've paused for POE's league launch. Rise of Ronin looks interesting to me actually if it isn't like Nioh-level hard. Will be interested in your thoughts.

Really, really love the QoL updates this league. They've hit a lot of them out of the park.

Necropolis, however, might be the least friendly new player league we've had in a while. Have a buddy who was really interested in PoE stop at the Mud Flats because the rhoas just got too buffed from the league mechanic he didn't understand and he spent 10 minutes dying. Not being able to opt out of it in maps/the campaign is also a choice.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1915 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:25 pm

tydett wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

Really, really love the QoL updates this league. They've hit a lot of them out of the park.

Necropolis, however, might be the least friendly new player league we've had in a while. Have a buddy who was really interested in PoE stop at the Mud Flats because the rhoas just got too buffed from the league mechanic he didn't understand and he spent 10 minutes dying. Not being able to opt out of it in maps/the campaign is also a choice.

Ah, Mud Flats. The real end game right there.

I am doing my best to completely ignore the mechanic for a week or two, hoping they come in with a bunch of fixes. But yeah I've had a couple maps so far that I basically just boss rushed because the packs were too rippy. I had a white map with 125% added as :lol: The morgue only holding 64 bodies is really inconvenient though. I've been picking them up to try and sell some - and also get the loot from behind their always-on display when they're on the ground - and I have to go burn them or itemize them every few maps.
BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,139

Post#1916 » by BMatt07 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:38 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
tydett wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

I am doing my best to completely ignore the mechanic for a week or two, hoping they come in with a bunch of fixes. But yeah I've had a couple maps so far that I basically just boss rushed because the packs were too rippy. I had a white map with 125% added as :lol: The morgue only holding 64 bodies is really inconvenient though. I've been picking them up to try and sell some - and also get the loot from behind their always-on display when they're on the ground - and I have to go burn them or itemize them every few maps.

Is the league mechanic as bad as people have been saying?

Was thinking about taking a break this league after burning my self out last league, lol. Played Lightning Arrow to 100 for the first time ever, lost track of how many Chayula runs I did from 98 to 100.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,845

Post#1917 » by tydett » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:13 pm

BMatt07 wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
tydett wrote:

Was thinking about taking a break this league after burning my self out last league, lol. Played Lightning Arrow to 100 for the first time ever, lost track of how many Chayula runs I did from 98 to 100.

GGG put out a forum post with some changes they're working on implementing that I think will fix a lot of the issues. I think another part is that whatever came after Affliction was gonna be tough, but that they chose a crafting league, which always does poorer than a systems league.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1918 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 2, 2024 7:04 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:

Hate to say it but I don't think I'm gonna last long enough with this one to give it an honest shot. I think I'm just not into Far Cry/AC style open worlds anymore. I don't like the inventory system in this one, long a problem for Team Ninja. The world seems empty.

The combat seems fine, though. Maybe even really good. I like the mix of dodging and parrying. It's as difficult as you want to make it with multiple difficulty settings. Unfortunately it's plopped into this world I find extremely uninteresting. I'd rather go back and play Wo Long if I wanted to play around with builds and a parry based combat system.

Maybe I'll go back when I'm desperate for something to play, but as it stands I think I made a $70 mistake.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1919 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Apr 2, 2024 7:17 pm

tydett wrote:
BMatt07 wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

GGG put out a forum post with some changes they're working on implementing that I think will fix a lot of the issues. I think another part is that whatever came after Affliction was gonna be tough, but that they chose a crafting league, which always does poorer than a systems league.

1. Yes, the mechanic was legit pretty terrible.
2. Open to all the changes they're making, though! Still worried about the morgue size (64) being too small, even with the changes, but we'll see.
3. The new Archmage slaps and I get to play my favorite ascendancy, so gonna see how far I can minmax it. Having a tough time calculating real DPS though because of how Ball Lightning works. Eventually want to try some other spells out too.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1920 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 2, 2024 9:17 pm

I guess I'm not done playing DD2. Starting up a new save. Not sure what I'm going to do differently this time around. I know I'm not going to waste my time and money as a Magic Archer. It was great nuking drakes, but otherwise I thought it was boring as hell. Won't make the mistakes I made on early quests that hurt me later in the game.

I really just wish the game had a proper NG+. The story makes it plain that there SHOULD be NG+, but if you don't have new gear and new level scaled enemies, then what's the point?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks