ImageImage

OT: TV and Movies

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,369

Re: OT: TV and Movies 

Post#1441 » by KidA24 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:29 pm

KidA24 wrote:I just saw Thelma (2024) at the Film Festival last night and it was hilarious and heart felt. Just a wonderful movie.

Went and saw Humanist Vampire Seeking Consenting Suicidal Person last night.

It was quirky, weird, funny and really did a great job of tying into what it is like being an outsider, not only to people within your age group, but also within your family.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,636

Post#1442 » by SupremeHustle » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:31 am

KidA24 wrote:
KidA24 wrote:I just saw Thelma (2024) at the Film Festival last night and it was hilarious and heart felt. Just a wonderful movie.

Went and saw Humanist Vampire Seeking Consenting Suicidal Person last night.

It was quirky, weird, funny and really did a great job of tying into what it is like being an outsider, not only to people within your age group, but also within your family.

Helluva title, that.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,979

Post#1443 » by Badgerlander » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:48 pm

Btw if anyone is looking for a good book to read in a similar vein to the Shogun era, these are some of my favorites-

Image Image

Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,150

Post#1444 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:51 pm

I did a Black Sails rewatch a couple months ago, but I see it's now on Netflix. Probably gonna give that another go.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,993

Post#1445 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:15 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I did a Black Sails rewatch a couple months ago, but I see it's now on Netflix. Probably gonna give that another go.

One of the GOAT imo
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,954

Post#1446 » by Matches Malone » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:26 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1447 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:46 pm

I rewatched watched Savages last week so I bought Kings of Cool and read it again yesterday. Don Winslow's writing style won't be for everyone, but it's a book that absolutely flies. Started it during the Brewer game and finished it in between laundry around halftime of the Bucks game.

If you liked Savages and want to read about how virtually all the characters came to be, this is a really fun read.
Garbs_7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,585

Post#1448 » by Garbs_7 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:20 pm

Matches Malone wrote:

Someone on twitter posted what they think the Shyamalan twist will be and now i'm sure it's going to happen haha.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1449 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:28 pm

Garbs_7 wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Someone on twitter posted what they think the Shyamalan twist will be and now i'm sure it's going to happen haha.

The daughter is actually the killer, isn't she.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,091

Post#1450 » by Siefer » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:49 pm

There are lots of examples of this over the last few years, but "stunt" director episodes to start shows are kind of a drag. I love Michael Mann, and the pilot of Tokyo Vice is great, but it's out of sync with the rest of the show, which has to spend multiple episodes establishing its actual (very enjoyable) aesthetic and visual language.

Just this year, Masters of the Air, Sugar, and The Sympathizer have big directors with very strong personal styles start things off, then those folks leave, and at least in the case of Masters and Sugar, it's like suddenly watching a different show. It's fine to to have different directors come in and out, but (usually) it's pretty important to have someone with a clear vision steering the ship so that the things like visual language, tone, and characterization feel consistent and cohesive.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,856

Post#1451 » by emunney » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:41 pm

Siefer wrote:There are lots of examples of this over the last few years, but "stunt" director episodes to start shows are kind of a drag. I love Michael Mann, and the pilot of Tokyo Vice is great, but it's out of sync with the rest of the show, which has to spend multiple episodes establishing its actual (very enjoyable) aesthetic and visual language.

Just this year, Masters of the Air, Sugar, and The Sympathizer have big directors with very strong personal styles start things off, then those folks leave, and at least in the case of Masters and Sugar, it's like suddenly watching a different show. It's fine to to have different directors come in and out, but (usually) it's pretty important to have someone with a clear vision steering the ship so that the things like visual language, tone, and characterization feel consistent and cohesive.

Supposedly Meirelles directed 5 episodes of Sugar, so he's not gone. He's got 3 of the last 4 episodes. Haven't seen it but keeping tabs because City of God is still one of my all time favorites.

Was disappointed that Park didn't direct all of the Sympathizer, but obv not disappointed to see who had the 4th ep.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,753

Post#1452 » by Licensed to Il » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:25 pm

I wanted to love the new Conan travel show. But it just feels like bits and jokes he’s already made many times.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1453 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Feelin' good about today, boys.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,753

Post#1454 » by Licensed to Il » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:02 pm

Licensed to Il wrote:I wanted to love the new Conan travel show. But it just feels like bits and jokes he’s already made many times.

The Argentina episode was the one that stood out, among the four.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1455 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:57 pm

Shogun was great. It's not on the level of GoT's early seasons, though, and that's okay.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,856

Post#1456 » by emunney » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:00 pm

True, it's far better. Just make a show about the War of the Roses.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,834

Post#1457 » by HaroldinGMinor » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:15 pm

Siefer wrote:There are lots of examples of this over the last few years, but "stunt" director episodes to start shows are kind of a drag. I love Michael Mann, and the pilot of Tokyo Vice is great, but it's out of sync with the rest of the show, which has to spend multiple episodes establishing its actual (very enjoyable) aesthetic and visual language.

I've thought about this a lot and I wonder how much it has to do with the fact that we know one person started and someone else finished so we start looking for differences.

In the case of Sugar there were red flags about that show from the jump - writers were brought in late, episodes got shorter and shorter....just seems like they were trying to Frankenstein something that fell apart after episode one.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,887

Post#1458 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:24 pm

I thought the Shogun finale was brilliant writing and acting, but I'd understand the complaints that it was pretty anti-climactic if you aren't aware of the actual history it's based on.

Spoiler:
His line about "Crimson Sky has already succeeded without a single soldier donning armor" was the whole point of his plan. The entire series kept you guessing about what was actually a ruse and what was real, and Torunaga essentially sacrificed everything (his son, Mariko, his best friend) for the plan to work. He was always as power hungry and ambitious as the other regents, just way smarter and better at disguising his motives. Yabushige even calls him out for his hypocrisy before he dies, but his entire worldview was always "winning at all costs". The visage of him as this noble and honorable samurai that they had spent the first 8-9 episodes building up, was also in itself, a calculated ruse.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1459 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:09 am

Ripley's somehow both the best show I've seen in a while but one I think I'm good spacing out a week at a time despite all the episodes being available. It's incredible through two.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,834

Post#1460 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Ripley's somehow both the best show I've seen in a while but one I think I'm good spacing out a week at a time despite all the episodes being available. It's incredible through two.

oh buddy...wait until ep 3.

Honestly one of the most beautiful things I've watched in a long time. Every frame is a friggin photograph. And the sound design...and the production design...and the direction...

Return to Milwaukee Bucks