OT: TV and Movies

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,846

Re: OT: TV and Movies 

Post#1461 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:23 pm

Read on Twitter

Where's the dude named Neuromancer on here?
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,947

Post#1462 » by jschligs » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:52 pm

I’m enjoying Fallout having played 3, NV and 4. But holy cow some scenes are twice as long as they need to be. Maybe I’m just becoming inpatient like the youths, but sometimes I find myself hitting the FF 10 seconds.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,769

Post#1463 » by jimmybones » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:08 pm

Anyone watching Baby Reindeer on Netflix? Man, it gets dark
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,249

Post#1464 » by humanrefutation » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:52 pm

Holy **** X-Men '97 is goooood.
machu46
RealGM
And1: 3,680

Post#1465 » by machu46 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:09 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Holy **** X-Men '97 is goooood.

It is fantastic.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,162

Post#1466 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:36 am

I don't think that Jerry Seinfeld was right about why there's fewer network TV sitcoms today, but I do know there are fewer good network TV sitcoms today.
machu46
RealGM
And1: 3,680

Post#1467 » by machu46 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:50 am

ReasonablySober wrote:I don't think that Jerry Seinfeld was right about why there's fewer network TV sitcoms today, but I do know there are fewer good network TV sitcoms today.

At least we have Abbott Elementary. Think that's the only one on network TV that I still watch.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,219

Post#1468 » by DingleJerry » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:58 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I don't think that Jerry Seinfeld was right about why there's fewer network TV sitcoms today, but I do know there are fewer good network TV sitcoms today.

I also don't think Seinfeld is really much of an example or applies to what he was trying to say. There's plenty of other shows you could point out that would have to be tweaked or changed n ow, his show not so much. I mean, the biggest example he had was the rickshaw episode? A show like Entourage would need some changes. But to find one in the same ballpark as Seinfeld with era, network, etc would be Cheers. The premise is the boss relentlessly sexually harassing his younger employees until they bang him. That said, if you overlook that aspect of Cheers it still holds up really well these days.

The ridiculous stuff Sunny has done for 20 years also proves him wrong.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,207

Post#1469 » by FrieAaron » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:05 pm

DingleJerry wrote:The ridiculous stuff Sunny has done for 20 years also proves him wrong.

They've also had multiple episodes pulled from streaming
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,219

Post#1470 » by DingleJerry » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:09 pm

FrieAaron wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:The ridiculous stuff Sunny has done for 20 years also proves him wrong.

They've also had multiple episodes pulled from streaming

Yup but it all got made and no one is cancelled. And I think some have come back. The "Dee plays every racist stereotype" one was nuts it ever got made. They're like 10 levels past anything Seinfeld did.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,937

Post#1471 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:42 pm

The network sitcom has been dying a slow death since the late-90's, but it's ironically been because of more demand for edgier comedy that premium channels and now streaming can provide, i.e. the complete opposite of what he's raging about. I think what Jerry really hates is politics in any form infiltrating mainstream comedy. He's always made his non-interest in political satire evident, but then he kinda hypocritically (or just naively) makes a political statement by saying that lol.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,869

Post#1472 » by emunney » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:43 pm

Isn't it really the networks that are dying more than the sitcom? The classic 4 camera sitcom filmed before a studio audience has been hugely marginalized (you can blame Curb and The Office for that), but that's not the same as the sitcom, or "comedy" writ large. And even that isn't dead; I just don't think people are as interested in making them (adding: the last HUGE 4 camera, Big Bang Theory, has been off the air for almost 5 years, not exactly ancient history, but its ratings were more than halved from peak network tv, which, frankly, was *pre-Seinfeld*).

As far as the whole "there are things you can't say/do now" line, that's not more true than it was when Seinfeld was made. It's just different things. Aging comedians have been making these same **** complaints for as long as comedians have been aging.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,271

Post#1473 » by LUKE23 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:08 pm

Glad "Severance" is done filming season 2. Season 1 ending was one of the best cliffhangers in recent memory and that show was really well done.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1474 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:48 pm

Vulture today compiled a list of 19 Seinfeld jokes that are simply too hot to be made today.

Spoiler:
• “Grape Nuts: I’ve bought Grape Nuts. I’ve tried Grape Nuts. I open the box, put it in the bowl, no grapes, no nuts. What’s the story? Can you call things anything you want now? Sell a quart of milk, just print ‘shoes’ on the side of it? People pour it on their socks: ‘Hey! This isn’t shoes!’”

• “When you buy socks, they always come on a tiny hanger. Does anybody have a tiny sock closet to hang them up?”

• “When you go to see the doctor, they don’t just let you see the doctor. You must first wait in the waiting room. There’s no chance of not waiting. That’s the name of the room!”

• “What amazes me about the newspaper is that somehow, every day, no matter what goes on in the world, it exactly fits the number of pages they’re using in the paper that day. How does that always work out?”

• “The original idea of coffee was a ten-minute break in the middle of eight hours of work. We’re now drinking eight hours of coffee doing ten minutes of work!”

• “Did you ever go to a big party, go in the bathroom, flush the toilet, and the water starts coming up? This is the most frightening moment in the life of a human being.”

• “What the hell is dry-cleaning fluid? There’s no dry fluids.”

• “The other thing I wonder about in hotels is how do they get the Kleenex to come out of the bathroom walls? Do they put those boxes in there when the building is built? When they’re all used up, do they have to break down the wall, put in a new box? It’s a lot of work for the flush-fit appearance.”

• “How come talk-show hosts never have any idea how much time they have? They’re always looking off-camera: ‘Do we have time for this? How are we doing on time? Are we out of time?’ It’s your own show!”

• “I love cars. It’s my favorite physical object. I don’t know why I think this. My only theory is when you’re driving, you’re outside and you’re inside. You’re moving and you’re completely still all at the same time!”

• “I hate clothes. I hate the selecting, the trying on, the conversing with the sales help. There’s another oxymoron: sales help.”

• “When I finish with my cereal, I put the bowl away with the spoon in it. Why go to a separate drawer to get a spoon every morning?”

• “Sometimes you think you need milk, so you get milk, but it turns out you had milk, and now you’ve got way too much milk! That’s not good either. Now it’s a race against the clock with the expiration date. Now you’re eating giant punch bowls of cereal, three meals a day. You’re washing your face with milk. Bringing cats in from all over the neighborhood.”

• “My friend just had a baby. Lot of pressure to see this baby. ‘You have got to see the baby. When are you coming over to see the baby? See the baby! See the baby!’ Nobody ever wants you to come over and see their grandfather!”

• “Five-hour energy drink. You ever see that little bottle by the cash register? Five hours. Five hours is a weird amount of time. Who’s working one to six?”

• “Why does coffee always come from these made-up places like Arabica? Where is that? Near Jamoca Almond Fudge?”

• “Have you noticed that women write out a lot more checks than men? … The checkbook is the one thing in their purse they can find immediately. Most difficult thing for women to find in their purse? Keys!”

• “Do the stores at the airport have any idea what the prices are every place else in the world? Or do they just feel they have their own little country out there and they can charge anything they want? ‘You want a tuna sandwich? It’s $28. If you don’t like it, go back to your own country.’”
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,016

Post#1475 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:53 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Glad "Severance" is done filming season 2. Season 1 ending was one of the best cliffhangers in recent memory and that show was really well done.

Agreed. I recently rewatched episode 1 and I plan to rewatch the rest before S2. the Any word on when it will air?
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,271

Post#1476 » by LUKE23 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:16 pm

I haven't seen an official release date.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,757

Post#1477 » by Licensed to Il » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:26 pm

Watched a true crime reenactment on HBO (“The Investigation”) that made a really interesting choice. Although the crime involved a crazy murderous inventor who became somewhat notorious throughout Denmark, they didn’t cast anyone in his role, nor use his name. They just always referred to him as “the accused.” It was a fascinating solution to the problem of how to tell a real story, without glorifying someone who preyed on others, and without further traumatizing victim’s families.

Also, jeez, its almost impossible to get a conviction in Denmark.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,757

Post#1478 » by Licensed to Il » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:35 pm

Anyone here get in to “Station Eleven?” I bought the book just as covid broke, and didn’t read it, hit a little too close to home. Now that some time has passed, Im enjoying the HBO version. Its got a “Northern Exposure” + apocalypse zombie movie vibe. With a non linear “This is Us” approach to chronology. But its working.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,390

Post#1479 » by M-C-G » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:46 pm

Not sure what Jerry said as the reason but I can say with 100% certainty if Always Sunny in Philly launched today it would be cancelled by episode two.

It’s fine to admit we live in a cancel culture that is extremely polarized and politicized.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1480 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 1, 2024 12:03 am

M-C-G wrote:Not sure what Jerry said as the reason but I can say with 100% certainty if Always Sunny in Philly launched today it would be cancelled by episode two.

It’s fine to admit we live in a cancel culture that is extremely polarized and politicized.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really? It's not like What We Do In the Shadows, You're the Worst, or The Boys are ancient.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks