OT: TV and Movies

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,107

Re: OT: TV and Movies 

Post#1381 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:51 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:I guarantee Ripley on Netflix is too slow for many here but I love the look of it.

I really enjoyed the first episode. Definitely gonna stick with it. It's so nice to look at and listen to.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,753

Post#1382 » by Licensed to Il » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:03 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:
buckboy wrote:
Spoiler:
Echo your thoughts. It was meh but that's what I was expecting pretty much. Great show. Sorry it's over.

Spoiler:
Yea could tell they were going down that path all year and was curious how he'd play off it. There was a few things in the finale I didn't think were great, like the fake wife for sympathy, but overall it was fine and had a few good laughs. I did a rewatch of it all the last few months, great show and stayed pretty pretty good until the end. Finale wasn't great, wasn't bad.

Spoiler:
It was so obvious since week 1 what the finale would be I thought maybe he would throw a curveball and do something different. But any ending would have had pros and cons

Hard to believe Curb is over.

I enjoyed the playfulness of the finale.

Sad an all time favorite show of mine is over, felt like the right time.

Larry David somehow deserves more credit than he gets for two all time great comedies. No way you could leave Seinfeld out of a top 20 list nor Curb off a top 50. I’d personally have them both in the top 15. And isn’t Larry like 76? I don’t know of anyone else that could carry the weight of a consistently funny show after 70. Pretty pretty good, Lar.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,753

Post#1383 » by Licensed to Il » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:05 pm

M-C-G wrote:You guys ever talk about the Simpsons predicting the future? I’ve seen a few vids recently and it is kind of crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of those are wild.

I think part of it is that there are so many episodes that they have thrown a lot of stuff at the wall and of course some will stick.

It also speaks to the absurdity of life.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,878

Post#1384 » by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:54 am

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,263

Post#1385 » by skones » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:56 am

Late Night with the Devil was great. Unsung and not a popular opinion, but fat gladiator in Pope's Exorcist was fun, and I've downloaded the exorcist's guy's book. Expecting more fun there as well.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,810

Post#1386 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:24 pm

I'm ready to say the Game of Thrones comparisons to Shogun need to end. Even early seasons GoT never reached this level of mastery in acting, suspense, political intrigue, dialogue, and cinematography. It's the show that we'll be comparing every historical epic series to for a long, long time.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,825

Post#1387 » by emunney » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:12 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I'm ready to say the Game of Thrones comparisons to Shogun need to end. Even early seasons GoT never reached this level of mastery in acting, suspense, political intrigue, dialogue, and cinematography. It's the show that we'll be comparing every historical epic series to for a long, long time.

It's convenient because GoT is such a cultural touchstone, but it is a lot better. I pitched it to my dad as "Game of Thrones in feudal Japan with all the best parts magnified and improved and none of the bull". He said yeah I read the book.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,751

Post#1388 » by DanoMac » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:33 pm

I need a new show to watch - let's hear suggestions. They don't necessarily need to be lesser known shows. Currently making my way thru Fargo right now.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,910

Post#1389 » by Prez » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:41 pm

My current go to show while my lazy ass is on the exercise bike is Bates Motel lol. Solid B-level drama/thriller so far through 1.5 seasons, not gonna wow you or anything but pretty good and interesting enough to keep my attention.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,816

Post#1390 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:46 pm

I bailed on Shogun after 2 episodes. I'll probably revisit eventually. I do that a lot.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,826

Post#1391 » by HaroldinGMinor » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:58 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I'm ready to say the Game of Thrones comparisons to Shogun need to end. Even early seasons GoT never reached this level of mastery in acting, suspense, political intrigue, dialogue, and cinematography. It's the show that we'll be comparing every historical epic series to for a long, long time.

I think the comparison is that they are both Machevellian dramas about the struggle for power over an empire. That's where it ends.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#1392 » by El Duderino » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:44 pm

emunney wrote:

It's convenient because GoT is such a cultural touchstone, but it is a lot better. I pitched it to my dad as "Game of Thrones in feudal Japan with all the best parts magnified and improved and none of the bull". He said yeah I read the book.

Shogun so far is the best TV series for me since Breaking Bad. I like it so much that when this FX/Hulu version of Shogun ends, i may go and also watch the 1980 version.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1393 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:12 pm

El Duderino wrote:
emunney wrote:

Shogun so far is the best TV series for me since Breaking Bad. I like it so much that when this FX/Hulu version of Shogun ends, i may go and also watch the 1980 version.

Same. It's honestly been kind of hard not to "peak ahead" and watch the '80 version over the last two months.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1394 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:14 pm

God this made me LOL.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,979

Post#1395 » by Badgerlander » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:59 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
El Duderino wrote:
emunney wrote:

Same. It's honestly been kind of hard not to "peak ahead" and watch the '80 version over the last two months.

Oh god don’t do it. All I remember was that it was brutally boring
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1396 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:01 pm

I've only just started Ripley, Three Body Problem, and The Gentlemen. But I might have to binge the hell out of Fallout in a few hours. I haven't read the reviews, but the scores/headlines make it sound awesome.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,184

Post#1397 » by DingleJerry » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:12 pm

I'm liking Shogun too but I'm not at the level some of you guys are talking. Very well done overall and really no major knocks. But having to do so much in subtitles just makes it a bit more difficult.

Also finally got around to the latest Chappelle special much discussed here. Thought it was pretty mediocre at best. At least my biggest complaint from the last one went away so it wasn't just him ranting about how he can do what he wants. Instead he actually did just make the offensive jokes, go for it. I just thought they weren't all that good or creative, especially for the 'goat', seemed basic high school type jokes. Then the last 15 min story had what like 2 jokes in it and they were meh, so essentially 25% of the special was that. It was fine and all, and better than the last imo, but most specials by much less famous people are just better now.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#1398 » by Badgerlander » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:51 pm

If you want to watch a good 80s miniseries watch Masada

Spoiler:

Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#1399 » by Badgerlander » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:10 am

DingleJerry wrote:I'm liking Shogun too but I'm not at the level some of you guys are talking. Very well done overall and really no major knocks. But having to do so much in subtitles just makes it a bit more difficult.

Are u watching it on hulu? They have the dubbed version

Spoiler:

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,816

Post#1400 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:35 am

Badgerlander wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:I'm liking Shogun too but I'm not at the level some of you guys are talking. Very well done overall and really no major knocks. But having to do so much in subtitles just makes it a bit more difficult.

Are u watching it on hulu? They have the dubbed version

I may try that. I dislike subtitles. Maybe that's why I bailed. Most dubbing isn't very good though.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks