Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Re: OT: TV and Movies 

Post#1281 » by Licensed to Il » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:39 pm

The Iron Claw

Spoiler:
I think this movie won't be super popular, because it is sort of over the head of meatball wrestling fans (emotionally), but also a thoughtful person looking for a period drama is not going to be interested in a pro wrestling backdrop. So I guess this movie was made for an audience of one, and that audience is me. I loved the zubaz and mid 80's windbreakers. Cars and crowds and lighting had the right retro feel. Probably wasn't as "Texas-y" as it should have been. Casting was weird (Zac Effron, Jeremy Allen White as roided up wrestlers) but it worked in every way but scale (they were both short, so hard to see as "larger than life" as the real guys were). But what blew me away was the ending. Kevin grew up under the watch of an abusive father, lost four brothers to early deaths (three to suicide), was deep in depression, and pulled out of it with the realization that he couldn't recapture the wonderful camaraderie he had with his brothers but could be a part of that same thing through his sons.

The last second swerve from "some people are cursed and die" to "break the curse with intentional love" was unexpected and wonderful.
MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,376

Post#1282 » by MoreTrife » Fri Mar 8, 2024 4:59 am

Dune, so so epic. Villeneuve is a got damn maestro. Visuals are mind blowing. As a middle aged man deep in the CGI age, tough to impress me, but when you're clenching your leg muscles in multiple scenes, you've done it.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,324

Post#1283 » by KidA24 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 4:19 pm

The latest episode of Resident Alien had me in stiches.

Who knew Alan Tudyk was a student of chonesian poetry.

Spoiler:
My heart sweats,
Warm heat remains in my chest,
You are a light in the blackout,
I'd like to touch you where the eggs pop out.

It's titled "Bird Boner."
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,139

Post#1284 » by BMatt07 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 5:47 pm

I really want to see Dune 2 again. Absolutely fantastic all around.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,767

Post#1285 » by emunney » Fri Mar 8, 2024 5:58 pm

Loved Mrs. Davis.

Think in the streaming era particularly, limited series are a great play for creatives. Tell your story and get the **** out. Don't let them cancel the ending. I love a long serialized TV show, but the risk for storytellers and viewers is big and annoying.

Same appeal for anthology series, but the repeatability of those is probably more attractive to the corporate mind.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#1286 » by Badgerlander » Sat Mar 9, 2024 11:05 pm

Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,656

Post#1287 » by blazza18 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:00 am

The Brothers Sun was a pretty decent and enjoyable show on Netflix. A shame they gave it the flick after one season.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
mediocrityrules
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,034

Post#1288 » by mediocrityrules » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:30 am

blazza18 wrote:The Brothers Sun was a pretty decent and enjoyable show on Netflix. A shame they gave it the flick after one season.

Yep, I really enjoyed it. I couldn't believe it when i heard that it wasn't going to be renewed.
Circling calendars since 2021
emunney
RealGM

Post#1289 » by emunney » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:34 pm

Poor Things was a **** awesome movie. What a feast. Loved it. Legendary performance from Stone, didn't see all the nominees but certainly Oscar-worthy in an historical sense. I think Dafoe only does good movies, and Ruffalo was hilarious.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,709

Post#1290 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:39 pm

Poor Things was a weird, often times uncomfortable movie that I'm ultimately glad I watched, but not necessarily because I thought it was actually a great movie lol. The performances (Stone and Ruffalo) were clearly the highlight. I actually felt this way about most of the Oscar nominated flicks I watched this year (Holdovers, Saltburn, Maestro, Rustin, etc.). Was much more about the actor performances than the quality of the movies themselves. And yeah, I'll say it.....

Oppenheimer has officially become overrated.....
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#1291 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:51 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Poor Things was a weird, often times uncomfortable movie that I'm ultimately glad I watched, but not necessarily because I thought it was actually a great movie lol. The performances (Stone and Ruffalo) were clearly the highlight. I actually felt this way about most of the Oscar nominated flicks I watched this year (Holdovers, Saltburn, Maestro, Rustin, etc.). Was much more about the actor performances than the quality of the movies themselves. And yeah, I'll say it.....

This is Nolan's "Revenant" oscar. Unspoken lifetime achievment award.
Do it for Chuck
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,864

Post#1292 » by Prez » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:54 pm

I’m just glad Cillian got one. He’s been so freaking good for a long time and I’m really happy for dude.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1293 » by emunney » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:55 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Poor Things was a weird, often times uncomfortable movie that I'm ultimately glad I watched, but not necessarily because I thought it was actually a great movie lol. The performances (Stone and Ruffalo) were clearly the highlight. I actually felt this way about most of the Oscar nominated flicks I watched this year (Holdovers, Saltburn, Maestro, Rustin, etc.). Was much more about the actor performances than the quality of the movies themselves. And yeah, I'll say it.....

SO relentlessly discomfiting. Feature not a bug.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,151

Post#1294 » by FrieAaron » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:07 pm

"Oppenheimer" is Nolan's best film.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,151

Post#1295 » by FrieAaron » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:08 pm

emunney wrote:

Have you seen Lanthimos' other films?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Post#1296 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:21 pm

Now is the time for a Nice Guys sequel. Baby Goose is at the peak of his powers, which is a pretty damn strong peak. He can make anything.

Let's get it done.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,709

Post#1297 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:30 pm

emunney wrote:

I fully understood the overall theme and intentionally unsettling atmosphere he was trying to create, but I also believe there's a point where gratuitous nudity/sex and weird doesn't automatically equal "art". The humor did have me in stitches at times, though. Also some brilliant visuals and I'm glad it got recognized for some of the technical stuff.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#1298 » by Badgerlander » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:32 pm

Prez wrote:I’m just glad Cillian got one. He’s been so freaking good for a long time and I’m really happy for dude.

I’d hand him an oscar merely for Peaky Blinders
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#1299 » by buckboy » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:20 pm

MoreTrife wrote:Dune, so so epic. Villeneuve is a got damn maestro. Visuals are mind blowing. As a middle aged man deep in the CGI age, tough to impress me, but when you're clenching your leg muscles in multiple scenes, you've done it.

I just watched the first one (lol me). I was reticent to watch it because it is one of my favorite books ever. My daughter finally talked me into watching it and I LOVED it. Can't wait to see the second one.

Gonna see it in IMAX this weekend.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#1300 » by M-C-G » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:34 pm

Licensed to Il wrote:The Iron Claw

Spoiler:
I think this movie won't be super popular, because it is sort of over the head of meatball wrestling fans (emotionally), but also a thoughtful person looking for a period drama is not going to be interested in a pro wrestling backdrop. So I guess this movie was made for an audience of one, and that audience is me. I loved the zubaz and mid 80's windbreakers. Cars and crowds and lighting had the right retro feel. Probably wasn't as "Texas-y" as it should have been. Casting was weird (Zac Effron, Jeremy Allen White as roided up wrestlers) but it worked in every way but scale (they were both short, so hard to see as "larger than life" as the real guys were). But what blew me away was the ending. Kevin grew up under the watch of an abusive father, lost four brothers to early deaths (three to suicide), was deep in depression, and pulled out of it with the realization that he couldn't recapture the wonderful camaraderie he had with his brothers but could be a part of that same thing through his sons.

The last second swerve from "some people are cursed and die" to "break the curse with intentional love" was unexpected and wonderful.

Pretty wild ride, not what I had expected but went into it without any background. I’ve had two brothers try to commit suicide, so brought a lot feels to the movie for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to Milwaukee Bucks