ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#41 » by Frank Nova » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:54 pm

I’m a Pitt guy, give me Bub Carrington please and thank you. Kids got a bright future if he can put it together. 6’5” 190lb guard with a 7’ wingspan.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#42 » by Badgerlander » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:01 am

Read on Twitter

Fun article
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,531

Post#43 » by RogerMurdock » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:28 pm

Frank Nova wrote:I’m a Pitt guy, give me Bub Carrington please and thank you. Kids got a bright future if he can put it together. 6’5” 190lb guard with a 7’ wingspan.

Yeah, I've been impressed with him the couple times I've watched Pitt (against Virginia, unfortunately).

Speaking of Virginia, I find it insane that Reece Beekman isn't in these mock drafts. His teammate, Ryan Dunn, is going to go in the first round, possibly bottom of the lottery, when he is all defense (ELITE defense) and absolutely zero offense. He's painful to watch on offense.

Beekman could win ACC DPOY for the second straight year if Dunn doesn't take it and has basically willed the team to ACC title contention. He's a hyper-mega-elite defender - best I've seen at the guard spot since Brogdon and Beekman is better. He averages 14 ppg and 6 apg on a team that doesn't score points, A/TO ratio is about 3.

His weakness is shooting, but he's shown he's capable. I think his long-range numbers have taken a dip this year because he's been asked to get to the rim more, which he has - he's almost been like a PG Giannis (I'm very much stretching the comparison here) in that when nobody can do anything, he just takes it upon himself to get to the basket. FT shooting is ok, could be a little better. The only reasons I can think he's not in mocks is because he's older and his 3P% isn't good. But still, I think that's crazy considering everything else he has to offer. Like not even late second round instead of some random draft-and-stash guy?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,708

Post#44 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:53 pm

Yeah, for everyone obsessed with the "point of attack defender" stuff, Devin Carter was made in a lab for you. I don't know if he goes in the lottery, but wouldn't hate picking him with our 1st at all.

Not really a fan of Beekman and he really hasn't improved much at all. Solid defender and savvy court presence guy, but he's not gonna be able to score against pros. Dude looks like he's moving in quick sand. 6'2 Kyle Anderson and that's just not an NBA player IMO.
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,531

Post#45 » by RogerMurdock » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:22 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Not really a fan of Beekman and he really hasn't improved much at all. Solid defender and savvy court presence guy, but he's not gonna be able to score against pros. Dude looks like he's moving in quick sand. 6'2 Kyle Anderson and that's just not an NBA player IMO.

He's improved immensely as a scorer this year. He was always just a facilitator and took a backseat to Kihei Clark (of the Herd!) at the point. Even earlier this season, he still focused more on distributing, but you can tell the coach told him he needs to carry the offensive load, so he suddenly got very aggressive getting into the lane and driving to the basket. He's strong and "probey" like Brogdon, but probably shiftier and is better and shifting into a higher gear to get by defenders. Has a pretty nice short-range pull-up. Still needs to work on his long-range shot, but I think it's weak more because he doesn't use it that much, rather than just being a bad shooter. I do notice that he tends to fade backwards a little bit when he shoots, which often results in threes being short. Could stand to elevate more and keep his momentum straight up and down or toward the basket.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,766

Post#46 » by emunney » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:50 pm

I love Beekman and would be excited to get him in the building. Definitely focused on other guys in the late 1st / early 2nd for now, but I couldn't be mad.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#47 » by Frank Nova » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:00 pm

Stephon Castle in the latest Bleacher Report mock. I’d love that. Doubt he falls that far I’d bet he ends up late lotto but that would be awesome if we landed him.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Post#48 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:08 pm

Read on Twitter
emunney
RealGM

Post#49 » by emunney » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:23 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Think he's got to show his work on this one to convince me that this is a change. Top 40 is a huge range.
EasyE31
Freshman
And1: 33

Post#50 » by EasyE31 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:44 pm

Draft night represents a chance for the Bucks to make a big swing on a trade - they'll have 2 firsts available for trade plus a lot of potential salary. They should go after a younger 3rd star to extend the window.

With the Portland pick they should follow the Malcolm Brogdan model and find an experienced, polished college player that can come in and contribute as a role player right away. No sense chasing massive upside in the second round given the Bucks timeline and needs. We aren't giving anyone like that minutes to develop anyways.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#51 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:48 pm

I also don't really think it's a trend that'll sustain. With the new cap penalties, those cheap, cost-controlled 3-4 year deals become all the more important when you can't use your mid-level and other exceptions. Could even have factored into the decision to not move the Portland 2nd at the deadline. Having two, likely Top-35 picks next draft could be pretty big (2nd-rounders make less than half of the vet minimum).
emunney
RealGM

Post#52 » by emunney » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:35 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I also don't really think it's a trend that'll sustain. With the new cap penalties, those cheap, cost-controlled 3-4 year deals become all the more important when you can't use your mid-level and other exceptions. Could even have factored into the decision to not move the Portland 2nd at the deadline. Having two, likely Top-35 picks next draft could be pretty big (2nd-rounders make less than half of the vet minimum).

I think that pick is great. The range we're in is great. Unless we can confidently get a multi-year starter for them (is Charlotte going to draft a big high and make Mark Williams available?), we should just draft two players.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#53 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Mar 1, 2024 6:40 pm

Dillon Jones be ballin'

ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,627

Post#54 » by ShootingtheJ » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:41 pm

Tristan DeSilva for me.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#55 » by BUCKnation » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:38 pm

Interesting draft year. Obviously a down year, but so many players are older than normal due to covid/portal/NIL/etc. A lot of guys I've liked in my limited time watching this season and now in the tournament are 22-24 years old.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#56 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Apr 2, 2024 6:07 pm

Clingan getting Top-5 buzz really does highlight how bad the top of this draft class is. Feels like a 2013 Alex Len type situation. Hopefully like 2013, that also means the real gems are outside the lottery and being slept on. If there's an opportunity to package both picks and move up into the mid-1st for Devin Carter or Jared McCain, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Otherwise, draft Chomche in the 1st and grab any of these guys in the 2nd please.

BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,125

Post#57 » by BigO » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:10 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:
Frank Nova wrote:I’m a Pitt guy, give me Bub Carrington please and thank you. Kids got a bright future if he can put it together. 6’5” 190lb guard with a 7’ wingspan.

Yeah, I've been impressed with him the couple times I've watched Pitt (against Virginia, unfortunately).

Speaking of Virginia, I find it insane that Reece Beekman isn't in these mock drafts. His teammate, Ryan Dunn, is going to go in the first round, possibly bottom of the lottery, when he is all defense (ELITE defense) and absolutely zero offense. He's painful to watch on offense.

Beekman could win ACC DPOY for the second straight year if Dunn doesn't take it and has basically willed the team to ACC title contention. He's a hyper-mega-elite defender - best I've seen at the guard spot since Brogdon and Beekman is better. He averages 14 ppg and 6 apg on a team that doesn't score points, A/TO ratio is about 3.

His weakness is shooting, but he's shown he's capable. I think his long-range numbers have taken a dip this year because he's been asked to get to the rim more, which he has - he's almost been like a PG Giannis (I'm very much stretching the comparison here) in that when nobody can do anything, he just takes it upon himself to get to the basket. FT shooting is ok, could be a little better. The only reasons I can think he's not in mocks is because he's older and his 3P% isn't good. But still, I think that's crazy considering everything else he has to offer. Like not even late second round instead of some random draft-and-stash guy?

I think I've said it on here before (a long time ago), but Beekman is one of my all-time favorite players in AAU ball. He was the most valuable player on an AAU team that had Jalen Johnson, Patrick Baldwin and a lot of other D1 players. He was the only one the coach wouldn't take off the court.

Having said that, his game just doesn't translate unless he improves dramatically offensively.

What I love about him is that he can't be sped up-sort of like KM. He' s a true point guard and an elite on the ball defender. But doubtful he can switch as much as necessary. He's as good of a defender as Jevon Carter and a much better ball handler. He has a natural feel for the game. But the offense is not there. I'd take a second round flyer on him.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#58 » by M-C-G » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:00 am

BigO wrote:
RogerMurdock wrote:

I think I've said it on here before (a long time ago), but Beekman is one of my all-time favorite players in AAU ball. He was the most valuable player on an AAU team that had Jalen Johnson, Patrick Baldwin and a lot of other D1 players. He was the only one the coach wouldn't take off the court.

Having said that, his game just doesn't translate unless he improves dramatically offensively.

What I love about him is that he can't be sped up-sort of like KM. He' s a true point guard and an elite on the ball defender. But doubtful he can switch as much as necessary. He's as good of a defender as Jevon Carter and a much better ball handler. He has a natural feel for the game. But the offense is not there. I'd take a second round flyer on him.

I’d love Beekman as a young Pat Bev to develop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#59 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:40 pm

Read on Twitter

Good news for us:

Draft picks in the 20s and 30s could take on an increase in value following the move to a two-day draft, sources told ESPN.

Sources also add that there could a stronger trade market for picks in the 30s due to the additional time.

"Way more second-round picks would be traded every year, except [because of the lack of time] no one knows who has them. A team makes a trade, then another trade. I'm spending 10 minutes hunting down picks, and by the time you find out where it is, it's too late to make a deal," an Eastern Conference executive told ESPN.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Post#60 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:59 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Milwaukee Bucks