ImageImage

PG San Antonio: Dame Time boats races Spurs

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,885

Re: PG San Antonio: Dame Time boats races Spurs 

Post#81 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:07 pm

While I know that everyone is just kinda blindly trusting Pop and the Spurs to figure this whole rebuild thing out.....should we? Pretty eye-opening last night to see how historically awful and lacking in talent this Spurs roster is right now. Vassell's a good young player, but outside of Wemby, I don't see any of these dudes (Sochan, Branham, Keldon Johnson, etc.) with anything more than high end role-player potential. For a franchise that hasn't cracked 34-wins in nearly 5-years, you'd probably want to see a better young core than what they've assembled.
rayallenscalves
Junior
And1: 221

Post#82 » by rayallenscalves » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:11 pm

Another iffy night from Patty, going 1-for-6 from 3 and 1-for-8 overall. Good looks, too. I'd bet AJ would've gone at least 3-for-6 with those looks and I don't think the difference in defense is all that significant, if at all.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,923

Post#83 » by buckboy » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:12 pm

Imagine how bad it'd be if they had Scoot or Miller like they should have.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
rayallenscalves
Junior
And1: 221

Post#84 » by rayallenscalves » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:13 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:While I know that everyone is just kinda blindly trusting Pop and the Spurs to figure this whole rebuild thing out.....should we? Pretty eye-opening last night to see how historically awful and lacking in talent this Spurs roster is right now. Vassell's a good young player, but outside of Wemby, I don't see any of these dudes (Sochan, Branham, Keldon Johnson, etc.) with anything more than high end role-player potential. For a franchise that hasn't cracked 34-wins in nearly 5-years, you'd probably want to see a better young core than what they've assembled.

Not even just the roster construction, but the coaching of it as well. Refusing to start Tre Jones, or any other true point guard, feels ridiculous. And I think Jones is pretty darn good as the table-setting style PG this team could use.
j_hilge444
Senior
And1: 125

Post#85 » by j_hilge444 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:20 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:While I know that everyone is just kinda blindly trusting Pop and the Spurs to figure this whole rebuild thing out.....should we? Pretty eye-opening last night to see how historically awful and lacking in talent this Spurs roster is right now. Vassell's a good young player, but outside of Wemby, I don't see any of these dudes (Sochan, Branham, Keldon Johnson, etc.) with anything more than high end role-player potential. For a franchise that hasn't cracked 34-wins in nearly 5-years, you'd probably want to see a better young core than what they've assembled.

It certainly feels like the Spurs as a franchise are being held back by Pop's stubbornness to not retire. And it sure looks like a miserable place to be playing right now.
Luke Ridnour getting silly all over - throwing mad alley oops to Ilyasova.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#86 » by Profound23 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:31 pm

j_hilge444 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:A lot of our close games are because the end of our bench can't hold 20+ point leads.

Hopefully Griffin is smarter than Bud and doesn't decide to go 12 deep in the playoffs. Once you eliminate Robin, Thanasis, Wigginton and company blowing 25 point leads which forces us to put the starters back in, we will be even better.

Of course, like most top heavy teams this means we can't afford major injuries during the postseason.

Hasn't that only really happened this season against the Pacers? And Wigginton didn't even play that game. In fact, he's only played in three games this season. Two of them being last weekend against Detroit and Houston.

It was more drastic vs. Pacers but I have seen times we get up double digits early, go deep in the bench and blow leads. Either that or like last night getting up 21-3 and just start playing with our food.

Don't see that happening in the playoffs. Just stay healthy and we will win the title. The rest is semantics. Let's relax and enjoy the season.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,742

Post#87 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:33 pm

I'm curious if during the playoffs, the slowed pace of play will actually help the overall team defense. Where opposing teams won't just jack up a shot within 5-7 seconds. It may benefit the leaky perimeter D to not pick up 30+ feet from the hoop.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,388

Post#88 » by M-C-G » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:34 pm

buckboy wrote:
Shaffty wrote:There is no way you guys are panicking about the Bucks defense in a game where they stopped trying 5 minutes into the first quarter lol

This game and the last one were meaningless in terms of making any proclamations about anything.

I’ve probably caught 12 games on TV this year, a few observations
1. Being an older team, there is definitely a coast until we need to turn it on mentality…this impacts our defensive metrics in some way
2. We’ve had a lot of different guys playing that haven’t seem to figure out how to sync on defense…yet
3. It would seem that Giannis is turning the offense over to Dame more willingly but he is still going to get his
4. They seem to be making a focus on at least not being the worst transition defense
5. This offense still has an entire other level it is capable of. Seeing guys making some of the extra passes to set up teammates is getting more and more common

The benefit of AG as coach is that he is probably taking more input from players on what we run and that might be a good thing, albeit leads to some sporadic fails along the way. Overall I think guys are settling into their new roles and how they’ll be used, have to keep in mind integrating a star player like Dame right before the season is a process. Especially given the differences in offense and defense compared to Jrue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,328

Post#89 » by rilamann » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:40 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:
Which team is beating us in the 2nd round? Our crunch time defense has actually been good, wouldn't our playoff defense be similar? Also, you don't think we'll add a defender in trade? Horst is extremely aggressive.

Boston or Philly probably

I've never been in a world where Joel Embiid wins a big playoff series, and I doubt I ever will.

I am not saying it couldn't happen.

But if Joel Embiid is going to finally break through and make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs. I am probably not betting on him finally doing it against a Bucks team lead by Giannis and Dame.

Maybe if Bud was still coaching this team.

If anyone could have figured out a way to lose 4-1 in the 2nd round while having two 75th anniversary players still in their prime, it would have been Bud.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
German Athens
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,047

Post#90 » by German Athens » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:48 pm

Profound23 wrote:A lot of our close games are because the end of our bench can't hold 20+ point leads.

Hopefully Griffin is smarter than Bud and doesn't decide to go 12 deep in the playoffs. Once you eliminate Robin, Thanasis, Wigginton and company blowing 25 point leads which forces us to put the starters back in, we will be even better.

Of course, like most top heavy teams this means we can't afford major injuries during the postseason.

We’ve led by 20+ points in 7 games this season. A few of those never became close. I don’t think our close games are due to the issue you’ve stated.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,928

Post#91 » by Prez » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:49 pm

Lol, this team with Bud would smoke the Sixers in a series, and I say this as someone who was down on Bud's playoff coaching. The biggest problem for the Bucks in the playoffs under Bud was reliable half court offense, which Dame solves single handedly.

It's really easy to claim Griffin as a better playoff coach when he hasn't actually coached a single playoff game, and when we get to the playoffs he'll also have the luxury of a 30ppg sniper & crunch time assassin next to Giannis instead of the likes of Bled/Jrue vomiting all over themselves offensively.
rilamann
RealGM

Post#92 » by rilamann » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:01 pm

Poor Bud, how could anyone have expected him to win more than 1 playoff game against an #8 seed when he was stuck coaching scrubs like Jrue Holiday.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#93 » by Profound23 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:06 pm

Barring injuries the Bucks are winning the title.

Either get on board, or leave me alone. I don't care. Quote the positive thinkers and try to find your quick little counterpoints all you want. State a million different data points, post twitter videos, watch your coach Bud videos at night under candlelight , I don't give a f***. Your negative energy is draining the real fans, maybe you need a different hobby.

I told you guys after the IST we were going to rattle off a bunch of wins, Dame/Giannis would start to mesh better, and (barring injuries to one of our big 4) we will win the title. 2/3 those three things have already occurred and it's only going to get better. The 3rd one will happen, unless there is an injury or two.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,885

Post#94 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:06 pm

Prez wrote:Lol, this team with Bud would smoke the Sixers in a series, and I say this as someone who was down on Bud's playoff coaching. The biggest problem for the Bucks in the playoffs under Bud was reliable half court offense, which Dame solves single handedly.

It's really easy to claim Griffin as a better playoff coach when he hasn't actually coached a single playoff game, and when we get to the playoffs he'll also have the luxury of a 30ppg sniper & crunch time assassin next to Giannis instead of the likes of Bled/Jrue vomiting all over themselves offensively.

To be fair, the premise is probably something around the idea that Bud was so bad as a coach that he actively hindered the players, and Griffin just sitting there like a half-sentient potato and actively doing nothing from the bench is better. A ridiculously dumb and wrong premise? Well, yeah, but a premise nonetheless...
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,356

Post#95 » by ackypoo » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:19 pm

rilamann wrote:Poor Bud, how could anyone have expected him to win more than 1 playoff game against an #8 seed when he was stuck coaching scrubs like Jrue Holiday.

my memory may be fuzzy but it seems to me we got beat by the heat because jimmy butler killed us and we never adjusted to him absolutely torching holiday and holiday being absolutely awful on offense. so yeah...holiday **** the bed bigly in those playoffs.

with that said, its partly bud, but bud wasnt going to save our half court offense.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,369

Post#96 » by KidA24 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:22 pm

Brook and Giannis 2-man d-rating while on the court, last 5 years. Parenthesis is what they would rank league-wide.

19: 101.7 (1st)
20: 95.1 (1st)
21: 108.5 (5th)
22: Skipped, Brook hurt
23: 106.6 (1st)
24: 112.2 (10th)

Yeah, that is why I'm still concerned about Griff. When those two guys share the court they should be lights out defensively. Period.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,121

Post#97 » by Shaffty » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:36 pm

KidA24 wrote:Brook and Giannis 2-man d-rating while on the court, last 5 years. Parenthesis is what they would rank league-wide.

Yeah, that is why I'm still concerned about Griff. When those two guys share the court they should be lights out defensively. Period.

the first season they no longer have an Elite POA defender at Guard btw
rilamann
RealGM

Post#98 » by rilamann » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:37 pm

Now this is the part of the schedule where the Bud cultists tell us Oh yeah, now we'll see how good the Bucks are, now that they're playing against good competition.

But how much do you want to bet that the good competition, will suddenly no longer be good competition if the Bucks beat them

If the Bucks lose to Orlando tomorrow: See, the Bucks can't beat good teams. Fire Griffin

If the Bucks win against Orlando tomorrow: The Magic actually aren't that good, they just got off to a fluky start. My 5 year old could coach this Bucks team to a championship.

The Bud guys remind of me the Patriot haters back in the Tom Brady days. The Patriots would have a top record and the haters would always say The Patriots haven't played anyone, just wait until they face a team like Peyton Manning and the Colts or the Ravens..

Then after the Patriots beat the Colts and Ravens, suddenly those same people were telling us that teams like the Colts and Ravens were overrated and actually weren't really good teams, only after the Patriots beat them....lol.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,369

Post#99 » by KidA24 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:40 pm

Shaffty wrote:
KidA24 wrote:Brook and Giannis 2-man d-rating while on the court, last 5 years. Parenthesis is what they would rank league-wide.

I mean, go look at who the guards were when Gobert was in Utah and what his drtg was. Having mediocre guards is not an excuse for playing mediocre defense with two DPOY level guys on the court at the same time.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,121

Post#100 » by Shaffty » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:46 pm

KidA24 wrote:
Shaffty wrote:

I mean, go look at who the guards were when Gobert was in Utah and what his drtg was. Having mediocre guards is not an excuse for playing mediocre defense with two DPOY level guys on the court at the same time.

3/5 of your starters being mid to terrible defenders is a good reason to have a mediocre defense lol.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks