ImageImage

Wisconsin Badgers Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Mtsportsfan
Rookie
And1: 367

Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#1181 » by Mtsportsfan » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:09 am

Oh well! No sense in crying over spilled milk ! Any news on players that Bucky is looking at! Hate all this but at the same looking forward to seeing the roster this year, unless Gilmore is starting !
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1182 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:20 am

Mtsportsfan wrote:Oh well! No sense in crying over spilled milk ! Any news on players that Bucky is looking at! Hate all this but at the same looking forward to seeing the roster this year, unless Gilmore is starting !

Seems like for those who love to get into the, "gotta recruit the hometown kids more" thing - they are potentially in contact with Seth Trimble or Tyrese Hunter.

Of course, can't assume/get hopes up about anyone basically at this point.
Mtsportsfan
Rookie

Post#1183 » by Mtsportsfan » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Mtsportsfan wrote:Oh well! No sense in crying over spilled milk ! Any news on players that Bucky is looking at! Hate all this but at the same looking forward to seeing the roster this year, unless Gilmore is starting !

Seems like for those who love to get into the, "gotta recruit the hometown kids more" thing - they are potentially in contact with Seth Trimble or Tyrese Hunter.

Of course, can't assume/get hopes up about anyone basically at this point.

Its a start! Trimble was a guy recruited by us 4star I think ! Need a few bigs. Was just looking and saw we are looking at a kid from Stanford, Brandon Angel , I think, but everyone else is looking at him too.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#1184 » by MVP2110 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:22 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=1OBK8SY1Xh6ahp5U9lAQzA&s=19
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,184

Post#1185 » by DingleJerry » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 pm

I see Floods distinction but I also don't really think it matters. Really, this was one of the expected issues like 10 years ago when people started floating the NIL type money being ok, essentially how do you stop it from turning into being a part of recruiting and buying players. Well, problem is reality now. Like he can say its not NIL but it technically is since there's no rules, they're just funneling it this way up front.

ETA: on a side note with the women's talk. There is a kid from Neenah ranked around top 5 in the country, going to UConn. Sharpshooter tall guard type in the Clark vein. Something to pay attention to for WI people if you're going to keep into women's cbb. Also, Max Klesmit's sister was on the same team in HS, I think but not sure that she's only a soph and was 2nd best player I think, probably a D1 recruit too.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,712

Post#1186 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:19 pm

DingleJerry wrote:ETA: on a side note with the women's talk. There is a kid from Neenah ranked around top 5 in the country, going to UConn. Sharpshooter tall guard type in the Clark vein. Something to pay attention to for WI people if you're going to keep into women's cbb. Also, Max Klesmit's sister was on the same team in HS, I think but not sure that she's only a soph and was 2nd best player I think, probably a D1 recruit too.

It seems to me that it's impossible to overstate just how far away UW is from being able to keep something like Ziebell in-state. The gap between the haves and have-nots in women's basketball is absolutely massive. Obviously Clark ended up staying home, but Iowa had some tourney success. Wisconsin is awful.
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#1187 » by DingleJerry » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:53 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:ETA: on a side note with the women's talk. There is a kid from Neenah ranked around top 5 in the country, going to UConn. Sharpshooter tall guard type in the Clark vein. Something to pay attention to for WI people if you're going to keep into women's cbb. Also, Max Klesmit's sister was on the same team in HS, I think but not sure that she's only a soph and was 2nd best player I think, probably a D1 recruit too.

It seems to me that it's impossible to overstate just how far away UW is from being able to keep something like Ziebell in-state. The gap between the haves and have-nots in women's basketball is absolutely massive. Obviously Clark ended up staying home, but Iowa had some tourney success. Wisconsin is awful.

Yea its been this way for a while with TN and UConn dominating. Usually there was 4 teams then a massive drop off, which generally still seems to be the case. I'd guess its just out of there being fewer really really good players to go around like in men's. But with this exposure maybe it'll help everything in the future.

Yea its crazy UW women's is basically like the only sport at UW that has basically sucked. Everything volleyball has available to recruit at the top level is also there for wbb, if not moreso due to having better facilities. Not saying I expect them to be Uconn but surprising they can't at least be ok and make tourneys. Especially as we watch UWGB consistently be better than them, they probably should've poached the coach from like 15-20 years ago that started making UWGB good. That said, the new coach has shown progress and improvement every year, so maybe there's chance to respectability in the future. Hopefully the big I mentioned knee issue isn't major and is back again next year to maybe take the next step up and maybe get to the bubble at least. Also, think there was a top 30-40ish girl from Slinger or someplace like that but of course she's going to MN, thats a recruitment you have to win. Uconn, welp it is what it is.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1188 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:43 pm

Here's a few things I think people might like if things remain the same:

-I think this is going to satisfy the wettest of dreams for those that wish Gard and other coaches would "recruit the state" more. A lot of times that an in-state recruit leaves, it's because there is already a logjam at a position or something and the guy wasn't going to commit to sit behind John Blackwell for 3 more years.

Well, every year the roster is malleable now and they know there isn't a logjam. Guys may commit out of HS to the in-state school without that fear. They also may bring guys like Klesmit, McGee, and potentially Hunter or Trimble back after-the-fact as maybe going back home is a tiebreaker with $ when they get the boot.

-Freshman commits don't pop like they used to, but oddly, Wisconsin may have access to higher-rated recruits as they will be forced to play younger players and prioritize them vs. teams with big $ paying for established players. Probably not the top 40 or so guys, but that next tier can now be available if playing time can be offered.
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#1189 » by DingleJerry » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:04 pm

I know there was a wisecrack on the academics at UW above, but a legit thing to note is for UW to play in this world in either sport, at all, they will have to give up on those standards. With all this transferring around these kids transcripts and academic standings are going to be a complete mess. Transfers were always hard for UW because of this in the past (several denied admission) and the issue is now magnified almost to infinity.

I follow this way less than I used to, but my guess is that they have relaxed this all in the last few years evidenced by everything done in football since the new AD and coach. So hopefully that problem is solved and we don't hear anymore about it. I found it odd the changes didn't happen until the new AD though after years of being told there is nothing the athletic dept could do about, the legend Barry couldn't get them to lighten up but the new no name guy could, weird.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,107

Post#1190 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:23 pm

Extended. Unreal.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,685

Post#1191 » by BroncoBuck » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:28 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Extended. Unreal.

Inexcusable. Why extend him early?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1192 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:28 pm

BroncoBuck wrote:

I know this is just what they do at Wisconsin. It's still **** dumb.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#1193 » by Mags FTW » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:30 pm

Apparently it is a standard thing for UW coaches. I don't know if they do it for budget forecasting or something else.

Read on Twitter
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#1194 » by DingleJerry » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:40 pm

The key to it is how it affects buyout if fired. I've never seen info on that but I'd hope these are just for show and doesn't affect buyout, unfortunately I doubt that's true.

I don't know if its about budget forecasting, certainly could be, but a factor to it in the past has always been to have the coach under contract beyond the 4-5 years a player can play to in theory help with recruiting. Which sounds good and all, but well in this new world does that matter since a kid only commits for one year at a time?
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,712

Post#1195 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:55 pm

We have this convo every offseason lol. Unless you expected them to about face and fire him this offseason (which - maybe fair), I don't think this means anything. Reminder that we fired Chryst like 8 months after his annual one-year extension.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1196 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:59 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:We have this convo every offseason lol. Unless you expected them to about face and fire him this offseason (which - maybe fair), I don't think this means anything. Reminder that we fired Chryst like 8 months after his annual one-year extension.

Good point.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1197 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:04 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:

I know this is just what they do at Wisconsin. It's still **** dumb.

Correction: they do it/have done it at 99% of schools. Everyone nationally gets a 4-year deal and the firing cost is baked in.

I always defended it because it’s how you operate but also funny that you probably don’t need 4 years of certainty to recruit anymore.

Correct, I see MiG got to it. They can still easily fire him. They know they’re eating salary when they do so.
Mtsportsfan
Rookie

Post#1198 » by Mtsportsfan » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:45 pm

Question , is it possible that the WI BB team is going to be a stepping stone destination where we recruit and develop and then they move on for the bigger payday. Same for transfer portal , we get a guy and he blows up and moves on for a bigger payday. Almost hard to believe after almost 30 years of pretty damn good BB that this could happen! Kinda like the brewers, draft and develop and see the stars move on once they play themselves in to a big payday.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1199 » by Kerb Hohl » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:31 pm

Mtsportsfan wrote:Question , is it possible that the WI BB team is going to be a stepping stone destination where we recruit and develop and then they move on for the bigger payday. Same for transfer portal , we get a guy and he blows up and moves on for a bigger payday. Almost hard to believe after almost 30 years of pretty damn good BB that this could happen! Kinda like the brewers, draft and develop and see the stars move on once they play themselves in to a big payday.

It’s likely true.

But they had 30 years of success being a team that would lose the best recruits they wanted when Coach K’s bag man offered them $300k.

I think it could go south short-term, but generally they’re well run and will just find the next smart way to win as a 2nd tier team.
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,266

Post#1200 » by dbrodz7 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:54 pm

Do we know how much Storr and Chucky got paid?
Misery loves company

Return to Milwaukee Bucks