midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,156

Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#1221 » by midranger » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:52 pm

Diggr14 wrote:
jschligs wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Yea possibly. But it sounds like not having that upfront cash has cost them some potential targets. Portal guys seem to want that money upfront

From my sources, its actually pretty complicated and we can't just say "here's $750k and your now our starting PG". He said he'll explain it more to me some day. Sounds like bball has about $3-4m in NIL money.

I can confirm the number is between 2-3M. They don’t have enough to compete at all. They are trying to be above board and it won’t work

This is what I’ve been told as well
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,754

Post#1222 » by Licensed to Il » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:24 am

Humble question… The NCAA was told by the courts that they couldn't deny student athletes payment for performance. The NCAA has an infrastructure of compliance officers in place. Why can’t they cap what schools are allowed to legally spend?
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,376

Post#1223 » by KidA24 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:27 am

Licensed to Il wrote:Humble question… The NCAA was told by the courts that they couldn't deny student athletes payment for performance. The NCAA has an infrastructure of compliance officers in place. Why can’t they cap what schools are allowed to legally spend?

Because that's denying them payment for performance.

NCAA hoops isn't a union and has no collectively bargained agreement with the players to limit or cap spending
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,754

Post#1224 » by Licensed to Il » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:32 am

KidA24 wrote:
Licensed to Il wrote:Humble question… The NCAA was told by the courts that they couldn't deny student athletes payment for performance. The NCAA has an infrastructure of compliance officers in place. Why can’t they cap what schools are allowed to legally spend?

NCAA hoops isn't a union and has no collectively bargained agreement with the players to limit or cap spending

Isn’t this what has to happen next if anyone wants to keep biting from the apple? Cause if the Badgers (and Wildcats and Nittany Lions and Gophers) break camp with a bunch of one stars (that will get poached two years from now) who GAF about any of it?
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,487

Post#1225 » by neiLz » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:55 pm

Read on Twitter

Not sure if true, but if he was negotiating with other teams during the season, wtf. and shouldn't there be some type of investigation?
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,173
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1226 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:05 pm

Licensed to Il wrote:
KidA24 wrote:

Isn’t this what has to happen next if anyone wants to keep biting from the apple? Cause if the Badgers (and Wildcats and Nittany Lions and Gophers) break camp with a bunch of one stars (that will get poached two years from now) who GAF about any of it?

It's possible that teams like the Badgers and their collectives/fans say, "**** this - I'm not donating to build a bubble team" but I don't see that as too likely.

They will not "break camp with a bunch of one stars." Maybe it changes someday, but it's not like power conference caliber guys are all going to sit 10th on the bench instead of come to Wisconsin to actually play and leave the Badgers starting Carter Gilmore.

I am definitely down on next season's prospects, but they'll get some reasonable transfers for cash. The Badgers and their staff/Wisconsin admin will be "virtuous" by making the players "work" for their NIL and go to the children's hospital a few times or whatever instead of just cash a check to play basketball.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1227 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:54 pm

neiLz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not sure if true, but if he was negotiating with other teams during the season, wtf. and shouldn't there be some type of investigation?

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=RtIgSClDm6VuNvDiS51TOQ
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,151

Post#1228 » by Diggr14 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:19 pm

You know things are bad when they are hoping to get the #142 overall transfer as a big get. They only have 8 players to replace.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,151

Post#1229 » by Diggr14 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:21 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
neiLz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This has to be true. Seems like an AJ Storr thing to do.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1230 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:37 pm

Diggr14 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
neiLz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This has to be true. Seems like an AJ Storr thing to do.

The funny thing about this new era is that since everything is going on in the dark and there aren't many rules - if you hear some weird 3rd-hand rumor, it actually has a good chance of being true.

That being said, it's hard to fully trust it when it's being passed around by a bunch of bro-journalist accounts. Either way, I guess I don't care because Storr would've been gone no matter what. And he played well in several games after the deal was supposedly struck.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1231 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:38 pm

Seems like they may get Camren Hunter out of Central Arkansas. Missed last year with injury. Would be a nice/bigger PG addition as depth since there are so many spots to fill - but if we're talking about him as a key cog...maybe not as excited.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,965

Post#1232 » by Matches Malone » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:55 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,418

Post#1233 » by trwi7 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:40 pm

He must be making bank because Louisville sucks dick.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,722

Post#1234 » by chonestown » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:49 pm

That dude is going to share some awkward conversations with Papa John.

I don't know if Charles thought this one through.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,601

Post#1235 » by tski1972 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:27 pm

Isn’t the Louisville program kind of a mess right now?
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,193

Post#1236 » by DingleJerry » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:45 pm

tski1972 wrote:Isn’t the Louisville program kind of a mess right now?

Yup, trainwreck the last few years. I'd assume there's a new coach and a big pile of money to fix it though. And in the new world it can be fixed in one year with a brand new team. But yea, don't think he's going there to chase titles as discussed
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1237 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:17 pm

Granted, I don't think they are going to be title contenders, but I think some need to change their mindset on here in the new era.

Louisville already has 7 or 8 good transfers with a new (fairly hot commodity) coach. This ain't 2014 where broad statements about a program will hold true.

They already have Chucky, a lights out shooter from Charleston, a promising big from Charleston, James Madison's best player, a good player from Colorado. Also a big-time center from BYU who is sitting out this coming year to rehab his knee.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,152

Post#1238 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:01 pm

Read on Twitter
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,152

Post#1239 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:03 pm

MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,096

Post#1240 » by MVP2110 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:10 pm

Seems like a decent get and Chucky replacement but always tough to say how a guy jumping up to the Power 5 level will fare
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"

Return to Milwaukee Bucks