ImageImage

Wisconsin Badgers Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,173
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#1201 » by Kerb Hohl » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:03 pm

dbrodz7 wrote:Do we know how much Storr and Chucky got paid?

There were reports of Storr and Kansas bartering between $1 million and $750k.

Somehow, Chucky might’ve gotten an even bigger offer from Louisville than Storr got is that rumor.

Storr got his girlfriend an NIL at Kansas as well as part of the package, I guess?
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,193

Post#1202 » by DingleJerry » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:55 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Mtsportsfan wrote:Question , is it possible that the WI BB team is going to be a stepping stone destination where we recruit and develop and then they move on for the bigger payday. Same for transfer portal , we get a guy and he blows up and moves on for a bigger payday. Almost hard to believe after almost 30 years of pretty damn good BB that this could happen! Kinda like the brewers, draft and develop and see the stars move on once they play themselves in to a big payday.

It’s likely true.

But they had 30 years of success being a team that would lose the best recruits they wanted when Coach K’s bag man offered them $300k.

I think it could go south short-term, but generally they’re well run and will just find the next smart way to win as a 2nd tier team.

I've thought of a 'moneyball' approach to football in this world to focus your money on non flashy positions (football is built through the lines) rather than tons of money on QBs/RBs who presumably will be going for the most money to have nothing left for D and lineman. I haven't thought of anything for hoops yet.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1203 » by Kerb Hohl » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:05 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
Mtsportsfan wrote:Question , is it possible that the WI BB team is going to be a stepping stone destination where we recruit and develop and then they move on for the bigger payday. Same for transfer portal , we get a guy and he blows up and moves on for a bigger payday. Almost hard to believe after almost 30 years of pretty damn good BB that this could happen! Kinda like the brewers, draft and develop and see the stars move on once they play themselves in to a big payday.

It’s likely true.

But they had 30 years of success being a team that would lose the best recruits they wanted when Coach K’s bag man offered them $300k.

I think it could go south short-term, but generally they’re well run and will just find the next smart way to win as a 2nd tier team.

I've thought of a 'moneyball' approach to football in this world to focus your money on non flashy positions (football is built through the lines) rather than tons of money on QBs/RBs who presumably will be going for the most money to have nothing left for D and lineman. I haven't thought of anything for hoops yet.

The basketball approach is probably just to be the minor league team for the big boys but be very good at it and spend big on one star if you can. Won’t have the consistency they used to, though.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,001

Post#1204 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:29 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,333

Post#1205 » by Mags FTW » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:39 pm

The world waits with bated breath.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,152

Post#1206 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:04 pm

Nebraska.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,247

Post#1207 » by humanrefutation » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:10 pm

Good riddance.
Mtsportsfan
Rookie
And1: 370

Post#1208 » by Mtsportsfan » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:18 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Good riddance.

Don't know about good riddance! I always thought he was a good and supportive teammate! At times I thought he gave great effort on defense , but we needed him to make shots when he was in and he didn't. Had to be hard to play freely when you know if you miss a shot or miss a defensive assignment that being pulled from the game. Was hoping he would transfer out of the big 10.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,722

Post#1209 » by chonestown » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:17 am

Mtsportsfan wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:Good riddance.

Don't know about good riddance! I always thought he was a good and supportive teammate! At times I thought he gave great effort on defense , but we needed him to make shots when he was in and he didn't. Had to be hard to play freely when you know if you miss a shot or miss a defensive assignment that being pulled from the game. Was hoping he would transfer out of the big 10.

Yeah, I think that's right.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,096

Post#1210 » by MVP2110 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:16 pm

It seems I might have been overly optimistic when I estimated last week that Wisconsin was in the 20-25 range among College Basketball programs for NIL. It doesn't seem like things are going great in that department atm
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1211 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:59 pm

MVP2110 wrote:It seems I might have been overly optimistic when I estimated last week that Wisconsin was in the 20-25 range among College Basketball programs for NIL. It doesn't seem like things are going great in that department atm

I know Eric the Red is a dick and wrong plenty, but he has a very reasonable nugget of info that the Badgers are trying to "play by the rules" with NIL by making it a true NIL deal vs. "here is a bunch of cash."

If Gard's hands are tied by the admin, that sucks.

If Gard is making this decision himself - he is a **** idiot.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1212 » by MVP2110 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:It seems I might have been overly optimistic when I estimated last week that Wisconsin was in the 20-25 range among College Basketball programs for NIL. It doesn't seem like things are going great in that department atm

I know Eric the Red is a dick and wrong plenty, but he has a very reasonable nugget of info that the Badgers are trying to "play by the rules" with NIL by making it a true NIL deal vs. "here is a bunch of cash."

Front what I read other places it sounds like Wisconsin doesn't have the upfront cash alot of other schools do. Once a player gets enrolled they are able to do a decent job taking care of the player but they don't have 750k or 1 mil to just hand over to a player at the outset like alot of other schools so.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1213 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:07 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Front what I read other places it sounds like Wisconsin doesn't have the upfront cash alot of other schools do. Once a player gets enrolled they are able to do a decent job taking care of the player but they don't have 750k or 1 mil to just hand over to a player at the outset like alot of other schools so.

I think it may be the same thing, different wording.

"Here's $750k, no strings attached, you're our PG" vs. "here's probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $750k with some strings attached"

Maybe?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1214 » by MVP2110 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:14 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

"Here's $750k, no strings attached, you're our PG" vs. "here's probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $750k with some strings attached"

Maybe?

Yea possibly. But it sounds like not having that upfront cash has cost them some potential targets. Portal guys seem to want that money upfront
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,945

Post#1215 » by jschligs » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:44 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Maybe?

Yea possibly. But it sounds like not having that upfront cash has cost them some potential targets. Portal guys seem to want that money upfront

From my sources, its actually pretty complicated and we can't just say "here's $750k and your now our starting PG". He said he'll explain it more to me some day. Sounds like bball has about $3-4m in NIL money.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,983

Post#1216 » by BUCKnation » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:08 pm

I mean if signing bonuses are going to be a thing, why would a guy stick around for multiple years if the NIL year to year 'salary' is similar?
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,687

Post#1217 » by BroncoBuck » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:07 pm

This offseason has been a disaster. Gard can’t keep Freitag on a short leash this season. Have to allow these young guys to make mistakes.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,722

Post#1218 » by chonestown » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:40 pm

BroncoBuck wrote:This offseason has been a disaster. Gard can’t keep Freitag on a short leash this season. Have to allow these young guys to make mistakes.

Makes sense and is also what he did with Storrs.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,193

Post#1219 » by DingleJerry » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:48 pm

Yea seems like a whole overhaul of how the Athletic Dept is handling this new world is needed, at least in regards to hoops. If that comes with a new coach next year so be it. Seems like if how the AD is handling NIL for bball isn't changed whoever the coach is doesn't have much of a chance though. Football is staring at a 6-8 win season coming up too sooo....

IDK one option could be to go to him and say your salary is cut in half so we can buy players with it, if you don't like it you can quit/retire or whatever.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,149

Post#1220 » by Diggr14 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:36 pm

jschligs wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Maybe?

From my sources, its actually pretty complicated and we can't just say "here's $750k and your now our starting PG". He said he'll explain it more to me some day. Sounds like bball has about $3-4m in NIL money.

I can confirm the number is between 2-3M. They don’t have enough to compete at all. They are trying to be above board and it won’t work
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks