ImageImage

Wisconsin Badgers Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#1041 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:24 pm

Diggr14 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:I implore you to watch some of the early season games against decent teams. Watch the moment Essegian checks in. Watch the ball happen to go to the guy he is guarding 90% of the time and they immediately go to the basket because he's not a good enough athlete to defend.

It's not a "mistake" - it's that he cannot defend at the high major D1 level. Blackwell and Storr - even with mistakes or lack of effort - can do so most of the time.

The guy had a pretty significant back injury, should not have even been out there the first two months. He looked fine on defense in BT play. No worse, probably better than Storr if we are being honest. Clearly at that point Storr was their best finisher at the rim. Storr cant shoot. I'd take Essegian all day and Sunday if that's a competition.

Well ****. I was hoping to hire Gard for my 3-point shooting competition coach but now you're saying he's not good at coaching 3-point shooting competitions?
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,681

Post#1042 » by chonestown » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:59 pm

Christ, Essegian shot 30% from 3 this year. Giannis levels.

Get a grip.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1043 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:22 pm

Was reported yesterday, but now heating up today that Essegian is in talks with Michigan.

Honestly surprises me a bit because I thought he'd move down a level...but now we get to see it first hand. I have no doubt he'll probably find a better shooting mark...but the rest of his game - we'll see if it's worthy of a high major.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,173

Post#1044 » by DingleJerry » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:27 pm

I'd put my guess on him being a contributor for a major conference team, barring injury etc. But we'll see.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Post#1045 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

Read on Twitter

Welp.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,905

Post#1046 » by jschligs » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Welp.

This is probably the least surprising one to me. Seemed to need some development time early on, got in trouble, decided last second to redshirt.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#1047 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

*puts on gloves*

Read on Twitter
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,329

Post#1048 » by jute2003 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Welp.
Not shocking at all. He seems to have some demons and also wasn't as ready to contribute as expected. I hope he finds a good home and gets his **** together.
only a fan, only an opinion
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,119

Post#1049 » by LittleRooster » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=mF3vUjCRshVtoscwosmE7Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#1050 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm

Oh dear. For as much as we ragged on him (I think rightfully so) for his low basketball IQ, poor defense, etc., he very clearly brought new dimension to our offense and pushed us in the right direction as a team. When his shot was on from outside, he was a three-level scorer who defenses had to focus on, allowing our other guys more space - which they clearly benefitted from.

Gard's got a lot of work to do.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,522

Post#1051 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

I figured if Gard was going to be let go it would have been done right away. Maybe McIntosh reached out to some possible replacements and didn't get any nibbles. Or maybe he didn't look at all.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,936

Post#1052 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

This is what college sports are now. The players that don't play or can't cut it right away transfer out immediately and if you manage to get an actual good player there's a good chance they'll transfer now too. Super fun times.

Having said that I do think this might be a enter the portal just to keep all your options open situation versus entering the portal because I'm for sure not coming back here type of thing. I think there's still a chance that he comes back but it's going to be purely a financially motivated decision.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1053 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

I tend to laugh at fabled Eric the Red and Potrykus’ takes, but I do agree with them today that it’s either a necessary or base-covering move.

Gard can’t wait for him and has to replace him. He’s still probably going pro. He can’t be left hanging if Storr goes pro and he didn’t replace him. He might’ve just told him it’s hard to promise a spot.
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#1054 » by DingleJerry » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

It's probably also the way to field offers from other teams and see how much money is out there. Chances are he'd get over a million from someone. I highly doubt UW can pay that and that would apply to whoever the coach is. And part of my comments on maybe we shouldn't be so quick to push out consistent good/mediocrity.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1055 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

DingleJerry wrote:It's probably also the way to field offers from other teams and see how much money is out there. Chances are he'd get over a million from someone. I highly doubt UW can pay that and that would apply to whoever the coach is.

I feel like they actually can match if it came down to it, but the timeline of all of it makes things tough.

Though I guess Illinois is a huge NIL player and he’s from there, so maybe.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#1056 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

DingleJerry wrote:It's probably also the way to field offers from other teams and see how much money is out there. Chances are he'd get over a million from someone. I highly doubt UW can pay that and that would apply to whoever the coach is.

It's for sure a way to open the bidding and I don't even really blame these guys for taking advantage of what they're allowed to do now. I really think they need to reinstitute the sit out a year rule now in some capacity to level out some of this stuff. Like maybe you get one transfer but if you decide to transfer again you have to sit out a year?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,072

Post#1057 » by MVP2110 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:*puts on gloves*

Read on Twitter

Some key quotes in here from Mac. Seems in his opinion Gard has made an effort to change with the times in a way Chryst never did. Reportedly what got Chryst fired was a meeting with Mac where Mac wanted him to make some changes and Chryst refused. It seems Gard has been open to making those changes
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#1058 » by DingleJerry » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:

It's for sure a way to open the bidding and I don't even really blame these guys for taking advantage of what they're allowed to do now. I really think they need to reinstitute the sit out a year rule now in some capacity to level out some of this stuff. Like maybe you get one transfer but if you decide to transfer again you have to sit out a year?

Yup, one transfer no strings attached. Have to sit out one year to do it again, unless there is a coaching change or your current teams pulls your scholarship.

Was discussing this a week or two back with someone regarding Storr and he tried to tell me that was basically the rule now and that they're only allowed one free transfer. Said I thought he was wrong but never looked it up, seems I was correct and it is just the wild wild west.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,681

Post#1059 » by chonestown » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

Complete whiplash feeling here. For a program based on continuity and steady individual progression, this is jarring. Almost beside the point to have takes/projections/whatever.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#1060 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:

Yup, one transfer no strings attached. Have to sit out one year to do it again, unless there is a coaching change or your current teams pulls your scholarship.

Was discussing this a week or two back with someone regarding Storr and he tried to tell me that was basically the rule now and that they're only allowed free transfer. Said I thought he was wrong but never looked it up, seems I was correct and it is just the wild wild west.

If I am remembering right I think there's some sort of ongoing legal proceedings regarding the transfer rules taking place but while that is happening it's still a free for all.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks