ImageImage

Wisconsin Badgers Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,173
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#1141 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:59 pm

BroncoBuck wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:
I’m thinking of Creighton. Him and Fidler can both go there and immediately have a chance at a good tourney run. McDermott is a great coach. I can’t blame him if that’s where Chuckie is going.

That's fine - McDermott is fine as a coach and like I said, I have taken my opinion of Gard down a few notches in the new era...

But going to Creighton with a guy that sucked against major competition (Fidler) and just bringing Fidler along with to Wisconsin probably would've given a pretty similar chance at a "title run." It's not like Chucky is going to Arkansas with Cal and some acquisition of like 5 of the highest priced pickups...this is full-well knowing that Creighton may be flush with some basketball cash.

Creighton made the elite 8 and sweet 16 the last two years. 2017 was so long ago.

Boy, that means Purdue is probably **** in this era. By the way, I've been in a coma for a calendar year.

I'm not trying to argue for Gard here and the economics may currently shift to Creighton - but to "win a championship" they have pretty similar odds most years.

If he goes to Creighton or a similar program for $ for himself or because he knows said program has more $ now, great.

If he goes to another program that is roughly on the same plane as Wisconsin to "win a championship" because he believes in the "tournament coaching" fairy as some of you do, then he's an idiot.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,264

Post#1142 » by skones » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:04 pm

Read on Twitter
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,193

Post#1143 » by DingleJerry » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:09 pm

skones wrote:
Read on Twitter

What do you think the coach says back to the AD right now? Uhh, hey we give him 100K. He's gonna get 500K from someone else (just guesses on numbers) what do you think I can do in that situation?

This is all new in how this is going to work and how to organize the programs, but in general that is the ADs job.

Chucky specific, my guess is this is a way for him to get paid more while also going home to Nebraska. We'll see though, maybe a MSU type team or whoever will pony up more than Creighton or U of Neb can do

ETA: I think UW is really boned in both sports and our glory days will be the late 90s-mid 2010s in both. But they're over now in this new system. McIntosh is in a tough spot and really hard job but I think he's gonna be the one in charge as both programs fall off and he'll end up canned in a few years too. UW just doesn't have the resources in either sport to compete in the top 10 world in this system no matter how hard people slam the table to demand more and Fire Everyone!!
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,096

Post#1144 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:12 pm

The numbers being speculated for Chucky right now are bonkers. I've read $1.4 million for him with Louisville & Michigan St being the two biggest players for him. For reference my understanding is Wisconsin in general has roughly $2.5-3 million to spend on the entire roster.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,722

Post#1145 » by chonestown » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:48 pm

MVP2110 wrote:The numbers being speculated for Chucky right now are bonkers. I've read $1.4 million for him with Louisville & Michigan St being the two biggest players for him. For reference my understanding is Wisconsin in general has roughly $2.5-3 million to spend on the entire roster.

All you can really say is Chucky made a business decision at that point. The whole thing is weird because there really isn't anyone deserving of blame. No catharsis whatsoever.

I'm fine with moving on from Gard (really!) but I don't even know what that means at this point aside from, uh, increased tempo. What's recruiting at this point? How do you institute a team identity when you have a team for barely half a calendar year?
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,156

Post#1146 » by midranger » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:53 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
midranger wrote:The football money is going to be STUPID. The basketball only teams will fall behind quickly.

But Marquette's boosters only have to give to basketball. That's the idea. Creighton and Marquette will have a good amount to spend on basketball transfers.

This is detached from TV contracts (though it may indirectly funnel through) - so even if Alabama is getting $3 billion from ESPN or whatever, that doesn't affect their ability to buy transfers.

Of course, if it goes to the Premier League/pay the players model, then yeah, suddenly the basketball-only schools will be in some trouble.

With the State of Virginia going to direct pay model, every other state will follow suit in short order. I’m sure every legislator in the Bible Belt is already hot on this.

The football money will pale the bball money And it’s going to be split fewer ways. ASSUMING it’s shared with the other sports (I guess this is a big assumption), those 32 teams in that league will run away from the bball only teams.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,687

Post#1147 » by BroncoBuck » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:19 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
That's fine - McDermott is fine as a coach and like I said, I have taken my opinion of Gard down a few notches in the new era...

But going to Creighton with a guy that sucked against major competition (Fidler) and just bringing Fidler along with to Wisconsin probably would've given a pretty similar chance at a "title run." It's not like Chucky is going to Arkansas with Cal and some acquisition of like 5 of the highest priced pickups...this is full-well knowing that Creighton may be flush with some basketball cash.

Creighton made the elite 8 and sweet 16 the last two years. 2017 was so long ago.

Boy, that means Purdue is probably **** in this era. By the way, I've been in a coma for a calendar year.

I'm not trying to argue for Gard here and the economics may currently shift to Creighton - but to "win a championship" they have pretty similar odds most years.

If he goes to Creighton or a similar program for $ for himself or because he knows said program has more $ now, great.

If he goes to another program that is roughly on the same plane as Wisconsin to "win a championship" because he believes in the "tournament coaching" fairy as some of you do, then he's an idiot.

Looked it up and last year Creighton had the 10th best odds of winning the title before round 1 of the tournament at +2500. Wisconsin was +6000. 2023 Creighton was +5000, Wisconsin was +7000.

We’re Badgers fans, but this team has been dog **** in the tournament for a while now. James Madison dog walked them last month and got housed by Duke the next game. “Coaching fairy” yada yada. We’re not on the same plane.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1148 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:28 pm

BroncoBuck wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:

Looked it up and last year Creighton had the 10th best odds of winning the title before round 1 of the tournament at +2500. Wisconsin was +6000. 2023 Creighton was +5000, Wisconsin was +7000.

We’re Badgers fans, but this team has been dog **** in the tournament for a while now. James Madison dog walked them last month and got housed by Duke the next game. “Coaching fairy” yada yada. We’re not on the same plane.

Before the tournament - no ****. Creighton was a better team in some of those years overall. "Tournament coach" is one of the dumbest ideas in all of basketball. Look at Shaka Smart's history. Look at Izzo's. Somebody like Self is a really good coach and is going to win a lot in the tournament because he also has the best players...but even he chokes out.

The short answer is that neither of those teams is winning it all in all likelihood, which was my original jab at "chase a championship." There are bigger fish that could chase a championship (like the current Kansas lineup).

If Chucky is going somewhere because he thinks a guy is better in a single-elimination tournament and somehow he, like the 20th best PG in the college basketball landscape, is going to be the finishing piece that moves the needle, he's an absolute idiot.

Chucky is going somewhere for cash. And I think that's completely fine and smart. He will also probably end up on a pretty good team, so good for him.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,152

Post#1149 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:38 pm

Read on Twitter
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,833

Post#1150 » by TroyD92 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:42 pm

Just abandon the basketball team and invest that into football :)
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,987

Post#1151 » by BUCKnation » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:58 pm

All I gotta say is this is rough and I'm not having fun.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,193

Post#1152 » by DingleJerry » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:03 pm

Yea really the only "going for the title" moves would be the top top blue bloody schools like Uconn, Kansas, UNC, Duke, type spots. Previously and maybe still UK, but likely a few other newer "buy the best team" teams will emerge soon like maybe Arkansas, Bama etc. Call me crazy, but I don't think UW is gonna be one of those teams no matter who the HC is.

Other than those you're just going to have to get mega lucky with finding unknown players or just luck in the tourney itself. Or a fluke instance like Pur just had where they had the best player but NIL/NBA don't apply to him. If Edey could do NIL I doubt he'd have been at Purdue the last two years when Kansas called up offering 1.5 mil.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,349

Post#1153 » by jute2003 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:53 pm

Barf
only a fan, only an opinion
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,151

Post#1154 » by Diggr14 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:02 pm

It’s time to fire gard. It’s mystifying why we wasn’t fired after the season.

He is done.

Them not being able to pay fiddler and chuckles enough is what it came down to.

They have that several billion dollar rainy day fund that I guess they can’t dip a little into. Just the interest dwarfs the costs here: Insane they wouldn’t spend just a little.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,151

Post#1155 » by Diggr14 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:04 pm

They need to unionize the league. Just pay these guys and make them employees, and own their NIL.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1156 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:04 pm

Diggr14 wrote:It’s time to fire gard. It’s mystifying why we wasn’t fired after the season.

He is done.

Them not being able to pay fiddler and chuckles enough is what it came down to.

They have that several billion dollar rainy day fund that I guess they can’t dip a little into. Just the interest dwarfs the costs here: Insane they wouldn’t spend just a little.

Buddy - the school isn’t allowed to pay the players right now.

My goodness.

Or are you talking about paying a new coach? I’m fine with it but probably doesn’t change the pecking order of NIL.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,754

Post#1157 » by Licensed to Il » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:10 pm

The players have done nothing wrong, and Im sincerely glad guys are making money. But man, college basketball is now just a lesser version of the nba. You took one of the best aspects of the sport (developing players and programs and making an epic run when they peaked) and find yourself at a free agency moment that’s fun for no one but the players getting paid. There needs to be a salary cap asap or its all going to be ruined. Im a casual basketball bball fan. But I have zero reasons to follow this team.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,833

Post#1158 » by TroyD92 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:19 pm

College ball has been a pretty ugly show for a long time (both on and off the court) the transfer portal is probably the biggest issue here. These kids were getting paid before NIL made it to the public.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,481

Post#1159 » by steger_3434 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:48 pm

The problem with college now is every year every single player is a free agent. That doesn’t happen in the pros.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,152

Post#1160 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:15 pm

Read on Twitter

Sobering.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks