ImageImage

Wisconsin Badgers Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#1101 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

I think Essegian is good enough to play/hang with high major programs, don’t get me wrong…but I honestly figured transferring down to a good mid-major would be his best fit. Seeing Michigan and Maryland in his mix is interesting.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,678

Post#1102 » by BroncoBuck » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:52 pm

Fiddler delayed his announcement after his trip to East Lansing…I think he was initially going to stay in Omaha or go to Creighton based on him making the announcement on the local radio station in the first place.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1103 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:10 pm

BroncoBuck wrote:Fiddler delayed his announcement after his trip to East Lansing…I think he was initially going to stay in Omaha or go to Creighton based on him making the announcement on the local radio station in the first place.

Gotta drive the most bidding.

There are random (somewhat credible?) reports that he may just stay with Nebraska-Omaha, as you say.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach

Post#1104 » by BroncoBuck » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:06 pm

I'm beginning to wonder if college basketball will adapt to this new free market of players and these schools will begin to employ GM’s to deal with the recruiting and transfer process. Assistant coaches already have a heavy hand in it, why not designate to one person and make it an actual position. There’s just no way a coach has the time or energy to do it it out burning out.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1105 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:19 pm

BroncoBuck wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if college basketball will adapt to this new free market of players and these schools will begin to employ GM’s to deal with the recruiting and transfer process. Assistant coaches already have a heavy hand in it, why not designate to one person and make it an actual position. There’s just no way a coach has the time or energy to do it it out burning out.

Yeah, I think they already are. I have no idea how a coach wouldn't have burned out just showing up at random AAU events or some HS football game in rural Missouri and then coming back on the private jet before gameplanning until 3 AM for the next day's game.

This is all pre-portal. With all of this added in, I think smart teams already have assistant coaches as GMs.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,082

Post#1106 » by MVP2110 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 pm

BroncoBuck wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if college basketball will adapt to this new free market of players and these schools will begin to employ GM’s to deal with the recruiting and transfer process. Assistant coaches already have a heavy hand in it, why not designate to one person and make it an actual position. There’s just no way a coach has the time or energy to do it it out burning out.

Pretty sure the Badger Football team is doing this
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach

Post#1107 » by BroncoBuck » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:05 pm

MVP2110 wrote:

Pretty sure the Badger Football team is doing this

I do remember when word got out about Chryst not having a recruiting department. That seemed absurd.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach

Post#1108 » by BroncoBuck » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:37 pm

Heavy smoke that Chucky is entering the portal…should be an interesting few days
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,685

Post#1109 » by chonestown » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:42 pm

BroncoBuck wrote:Heavy smoke that Chucky is entering the portal…should be an interesting few days

Who knows but also:

“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1110 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:48 pm

BroncoBuck wrote:Heavy smoke that Chucky is entering the portal…should be an interesting few days

Well that would suck
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1111 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:04 pm

I was going to say I'm seeing it in cryptic tweets.

I already was at the point of not caring when 95% of guys go into the portal (there's another Steven Crowl out there if we want it).

Storr, while less attached to, was impactful enough to care. Chucky is probably the only other one, though he's replaceable.

Either we're in an annoying new era where we are like a mid-tier baseball team that can compete but are not the Yankees. Or we are further behind than we thought and can't adequately replace Chucky and that would really suck.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,093

Post#1112 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:31 pm

Read on Twitter
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,795

Post#1113 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:34 pm

As a fan the portal sucks. It is so much more rewarding to have success with guys that started their careers with your program. As a person that thinks the NCAA is corrupt as F, I don't begrudge any player for wanting to move on for whatever reason they feel like. I think I'm at a point where I'd rather that colleges totally disassociate from big time athletics. Let's be honest and call them professionals. Rent the facilities, split revenue on game day, get the coaches off the state payroll, keep the team names, and don't force kids to go to class.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1114 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:34 pm

No surprise given what his rumored asking price was that Wisconsin wasn't able to hold on to him
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,764

Post#1115 » by Matches Malone » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:35 pm

Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,685

Post#1116 » by chonestown » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:38 pm

3 years of CC Crawford > 1 year of AJ Storrs.imo

Have to favor the Kansas to UW pipeline over the UW to Kansas pipeline here.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,947

Post#1117 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:58 pm

Essegian had a legit reason to transfer out and Storr was just a mercenary but this is where it gets gross.

Read on Twitter
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach

Post#1118 » by BroncoBuck » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:01 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:Essegian had a legit reason to transfer out and Storr was just a mercenary but this is where it gets gross.

Read on Twitter

If he wants to compete for a national championship, this wasn’t the team to do it. I’ll reserve judgement until we know where he is going.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1119 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:03 pm

BroncoBuck wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:Essegian had a legit reason to transfer out and Storr was just a mercenary but this is where it gets gross.

Read on Twitter

If he wants to compete for a national championship, this wasn’t the team to do it. I’ll reserve judgement until we know where he is going.

The thing is, there are only so many guys that compete for a national championship. He's really good, I was the Chucky stan all along...but there are probably still 10+ better PGs, nationally, I'd imagine. Those are the guys that can chase titles...you can only have so many top rosters that need a PG.

That said, if UW's NIL budget is low, then he could jump ship for a bag of cash and a team that is better situated simultaneously.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,047

Post#1120 » by midranger » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:03 pm

Whelp. Gardo has some work to do.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks